PDA

View Full Version : The Black Crowes!

Masterofreality
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
.....Last night in the small hall at the House of Blues here in Cleveburgh. In a word, spectacular.

Damn those guys are great live. 2 1/2 hours of total energy although last night was the second of their two night stand in town. Although I was somewhat disappointed that they didn't play Remedy or Hotel Illness, and quite frankly surprised that they didn't play Daughters of the Revolution, the playlist was great. Eight songs off Warpaint with Wounded Bird We Who See the Deep and ...On Down the Line being the strongest. Surprises like Sister Luck from "Moneymaker and No Speak No Slave and Thorn in My Pride from "Southern Harmony" with the second encore being a cover of Neil Young's "Ohio". It was a very different list from what my Musketette Daughter had given me from when she saw them in Cincy earlier this year.

Sold out house, and a certification of how great live music is with a real band.

ATL Muskie would have been proud of his hometown boys.

The Artist
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm so torn on whether or not to see them here in Cinci. The $50 ticket normally wouldn't be an obstacle, but I'm a member of the camp who thinks their earlier stuff is as good as you can get, but their two most recent albums are average (at best).

Masterofreality
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Artist,

I'd agree that Warpaint is not as good as, say, "Moneymaker or "Southern Harmony", for example. However, when they play those songs live, the music just hits you right in the face. I went into the show with the thought that, with a couple of exceptions, the Warpaint tunes would be weak, but when Chris Robinson starts his energizer bunny act on stage and the guys get into the stuff, it really comes alive. I was pleasantly surprised at how those songs "fleshed out." No doubt it was worth the $50.

The Artist
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Artist,

I'd agree that Warpaint is not as good as, say, "Moneymaker or "Southern Harmony", for example. However, when they play those songs live, the music just hits you right in the face. I went into the show with the thought that, with a couple of exceptions, the Warpaint tunes would be weak, but when Chris Robinson starts his energizer bunny act on stage and the guys get into the stuff, it really comes alive. I was pleasantly surprised at how those songs "fleshed out." No doubt it was worth the $50.

Good to hear. Looks like I was having the same thoughts you did.

You've convinced me.

The Artist
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
And I'm jealous because they've yet to play Sister Luck at a show I've attended. That and Sunflower are the two that I always go into a concert wanting to hear.

Kahns Krazy
08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll be at the show next week. My only concern is that the Madison allows smoking still, and apparently, they don't have the air handlers that can take the smoke out of the air. Also some concern that Madison has been known to oversell.

Click on the reviews here to see some comments from ratdog. http://www.ratdog.org/2008-03-25

You can save most of the "convenience" charge if you buy at the Madison box office. I think it's open every afternoon.

XU05and07
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I'll be at the show next week. My only concern is that the Madison allows smoking still, and apparently, they don't have the air handlers that can take the smoke out of the air. Also some concern that Madison has been known to oversell.

Click on the reviews here to see some comments from ratdog. http://www.ratdog.org/2008-03-25

You can save most of the "convenience" charge if you buy at the Madison box office. I think it's open every afternoon.

You can buy them from The Artist...your favorite pasttime

Fred Garvin
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM

So now you're an anti-smoking zealot?

Kahns Krazy
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
So now you're an anti-smoking zealot?

Not at all, but I have heard from some people who smoke that the venue is smoky enough to detract from the show.

Kahns Krazy
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I thought it was a great show. Nice little acoustic action to open the show, and it really built into a solid overall performance. I think that it was my favorite small venue show ever.

Here are a couple of observations:

As I get older, I really appreciate solo's more. At one time, I regarded solos as a cheap way to deliver less music. Now, I really get into them. Especially drum solos. I love watching a guy really get into a drum solo.

Speaking of drums, Steve Gorman always makes me chuckle, because you can clearly see him saying "Bum-ba-ba-bum-bamba-bam" as he's playing, except during his solo.

My other observation is these people who go to show and stand there with their point-and-shoot cameras taking videos of the whole damn show. Do you have any idea how crappy the video and audio are going to be on that thing? I can't imagine anyone ever goes back and watches those things, and it's annoying as hell to the people around you, not to mention you're missing the freaking show holding that stupid thing in front of your face.

Great show though, and not as smoky as I feared.

Smooth
08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Didn't Grace Potter & The Nocturnals open? How were they?

Kahns Krazy
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I had to work late last night so we missed most of Grace Potter. The part I saw made me wish I had seen the rest. They also did a percussion "solo" (there were 3 percussionists) that rocked.

Masterofreality
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Grace Potter opened up here in Cleveland too. Are they from Cincy?

She's cute!!