PDA

View Full Version : Majerus a Genius no More?

Muskie
01-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Per Fox Sports (http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodm..._GENIUS_NO_MORE)

"Majerus was once considered one of the best coaches in the business back in his tenure at Utah. His preparation remains impeccable, but Majerus is unable to figure out that his group is more suited to playing up-tempo than the slow, deliberate style he continued to employ while his team was unable to score points. "

Not sure I agree. But what is everyone else's take?

Svoboda
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
You need time to implement a system and get players for your system. It's too bad coaching has become an instant gratification type of thing and schools aren't patient and let coaches get settled in and build a program correctly.

If you haven't, give his "My Life on a Napkin" book a read. I found it a very good book.

XU 87
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I agree with Svoboda. Give him some time to implement his system with his players. The guy has won at every place he coached. And Utah and Ball State were not exactly known as basketball powerhouses before he got there.

I think the real issue with him is whether his health will allow him to continue coaching.

Muskie
01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
True. Another example is Lickliter out in Iowa. He's coaching Alford's leftover's. They don't fit his system either. I know there were some people who were quick to jump all over Sean Miller his first year as HC.

Stonebreaker
01-15-2008, 01:00 PM
That was one ugly game. I don't know enough about him to offer an intelligent opinion, but damn....they gotta play better than that.

Muskie73
01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Per Fox Sports (http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodm..._GENIUS_NO_MORE)

"Majerus was once considered one of the best coaches in the business back in his tenure at Utah. His preparation remains impeccable, but Majerus is unable to figure out that his group is more suited to playing up-tempo than the slow, deliberate style he continued to employ while his team was unable to score points. "

Not sure I agree. But what is everyone else's take?

IMO he's a damn good coach. Sonderberg (sp) could barely win with these guys and he recruited them. I see this as a situation similar to UC. He's got bodies but it will take him a couple of years to recruit a team. If SLU gives him time, he will produce, if his health holds.

D-West & PO-Z
01-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Majerus will have no problem recruiting at SLU, especially with the brand new facilities and arena set to open up in April. Top assstant Porter Moser was head coach at Illinois State for four years and can recruit Illinois very well along with St. Louis. Paul Biancardi is another assistant who has been a head coach at Wright State and assisatnt at OSU and BC. Hoop Scoop Online named Biancardi the No. 1 assistant coach in the country in 2002, while Sports Magazine and Lindy's College Basketball Magazine both named him one of the top five assistants in the country.

Majerus obviously has shown in the past he can recruit and coach and also has the assistants in place to help him. SLU really only has 2 real good players and a few others who on certain nights can do some things. They have no depth whatsoever. Once Majerus has some time to recruit his guys and and implement his style SLU will become a very good program.

PM Thor
01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I dunno. After perusing SLUs incoming 2008 class of 5, I was impressed by one, Brett Thompson, a very highly regarded Center who was recruited by Bama, Cincy, Indiana, ND, among others. The others though? None of them look to be anything special.

Saying that, I didn't look too hard at it either though.

Muskie
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I dunno. After perusing SLUs incoming 2008 class of 5, I was impressed by one, Brett Thompson, a very highly regarded Center who was recruited by Bama, Cincy, Indiana, ND, among others. The others though? None of them look to be anything special.

Also... i believe Majerus got into the recruiting scene late for 2008 and was forced to pick what was left.

Stonebreaker
01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Sounds similiar to what Mick had to put up with.

dc_x
01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
SLU hired Rick Majerus to be Rick Majerus. I don't understand why anyone would want him to coach like Soderberg just because the players are used to Soderberg's style.

It would be like SLU hiring Jim Boeheim and saying that he should play man-to-man because that is what SLU's players are used to.

Just give it time.

Svoboda
01-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah, but do you remember Michael Doleac being a highly recruited kid? You could go down the line for most of the kids he had at Utah and see that he 1) has a nice system and 2) has an eye for talent.

Give him 2 legit classes and time to settle into whatever hotel he is staying at.

Muskie
01-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah, but do you remember Michael Doleac being a highly recruited kid? You could go down the line for most of the kids he had at Utah and see that he 1) has a nice system and 2) has an eye for talent.

Give him 2 legit classes and time to settle into whatever hotel he is staying at.

Actually Svo, I think you'll be pleased to learn that RM is living in a house rented by SLU. At least that was the plan coming in. It may have changed.