PDA

View Full Version : Royal Birkdale

XUglow
07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
The host course for the British Open is ripping those guys apart this year.

Phil + 9, Ernie +10, Vijay +10, yikes! The course average so far is about +8. Right now, there are 2 guys on the course under par, but the best in the house is Tiger's buddy, Retief Goosen, at +1.

chico
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Rocco is still riding the wave - clubhouse leader at -1. And no Tiger to contend with.

You're right, this course looks like a monster. Last year Harrington won with -7 - doesn't look like anyone will get close to that this year.

DAllen15
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
The course really beat up the guys who went out first thing; the scores are coming down somewhat now. I have to admit that I didn't see Rocco Mediate's name on anyone's "favorites" list, but he's T1 at -1.

Masterofreality
07-17-2008, 01:22 PM
The weather is just horrendous. 73 is a damn good score today, and maybe all weekend. Rain, big wind, cold and very juicy rough. Guys may break wrists in that stuff. The guys who went out early got the worst of it.

If you want a taste of what a British Open course is all about, with the accompanying weather, and you don't want to pay thousands to go to Ireland, England or Scotland, take a trip up to Toledo and spend a little time at Maumee Bay- an Ohio State park with a really good links type course that you can play for under $35. It's right on Lake Erie with the accompanying winds and changing weather. Go in late September or early October and you can get anything from 50 degrees, windy and cloudy or 80 degrees and calm. They've got the sand, the heather, gorse and all the accoutremont.

We have 16 guys that go there every September for a "Ryder Cup" competition. The difference in what club you'll hit under different conditions is almost ridiculous. We've seen snow flurries and 85 degrees.

Smails
07-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah...the guys who went off early played in a monsoon...not so much in the afternoon

BlueGuy
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Just checked out the leaderboard (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tournamentId=411). One name jumps out at me. David Duval with a 73 today! Like someone said, 73 is pretty damn good. Where the hell did he come from?

XUglow
07-17-2008, 01:55 PM
We've seen snow flurries and 85 degrees.

I hope not at the same time. If so, that might be the LSD talking.

Fred Garvin
07-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow, the morning was blustery. Did anyone catch Cabrera in the ski cap?
I enjoyed seeing Watson. He made an interesting comment when he was on TNT afterwards. He noted the lack of putting. Noone was dropping long bombs. He said guys weren't accounting for the wind when putting.

Fred Garvin
07-18-2008, 12:35 AM
I hope not at the same time. If so, that might be the LSD talking.

MOR is gonna spend his Saturday tripping and watching "Mama Mia" at the multiplex.

Masterofreality
07-18-2008, 08:44 AM
MOR is gonna spend his Saturday tripping and watching "Mama Mia" at the multiplex.

Naw, bro. I've got my own Tourney to deal with this weekend- Cleveland Senior Amateur. I'm hoping to improve on my 8th place finish from last year. 100+ in the field.

No tripping either this or next weekend. There'll be plenty of time for that later in the summer. (Although there'll be a Corona with lime at the end of the round.)

GoMuskies
07-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Greg Norman is old....and still pretty good at golf.

Masterofreality
07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Greg Norman is old....and still pretty good at golf.

His divorce is over and now he's married to Chris Evert. He's 53 and probably has peace of mind for the first time in a while, although that divorce cost him $103 million!

But, yeah, he's pretty good at golf. People remember his final round troubles in majors, but he's also been victimized by a couple of the most lucky shots ever- Bob Tway's impossible bunker shot at Inverness and Larry Mize's ridiculous chip shot in a playoff at the Masters on #11.

Without those, he's got two more majors.

It would be sweet justice for him to come out of nowhere and win this thing. I'm rooting for him.

XUglow
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I hope Norman is at peace with himself. When I worked at Intergraph, we did a golf course design package with him, and we had a tough time getting anyone to go down to Jupiter Island to work with him. Nothing suited him. No one could please him. My CEO lived on Jupiter Island as well and said, "How bad could this guy be? I'll go over with you and talk to him." Anyway we went over to his place for breakfast. 15 minutes into the breakfast, Norman had to take a call, and my CEO said, "I am headed back to my place. This is insufferable. Call me when you are done, and I will send a car over for you." He then got up and left without even saying good-bye. When Norman came back, he said, "Where did the old guy go?" I told him that he had to go deal with a personal emergency. Norman said, "Emergency? What does he call leaving me stranded with you?" We got through the meeting and actually made some progress, but when I got back to the central office, they wanted to know if I would accept a transfer to Tokyo, and I jumped at it.

XUglow
07-18-2008, 10:43 AM
How great would it be to have Greg Norman paired with David Duval in the final pairing on Sunday?

GoMuskies
07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
One of my clients is Greg's neighbor. Apparently he's got quite the setup out there on Jupiter Island. Thousands upon thousands of golf balls are in the ocean because of it.

XUglow
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
You do know that he lost the Jupiter Island set-up in the divorce. He lives in West Palm Beach now.

Also, they estimate that 1/10th of Florida's wealth is in the hands of Jupiter Island residents. That is an unbelievable number.

GoMuskies
07-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Didn't know. Apparently my client is his ex-neighbor.

Muskie
07-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Harrington wins... as Norman has a horrible Sunday. I believe with is finish in the Top 4 that Norman has at least booked himself a slot in the Masters.

vee4xu
07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Greg Norman = Phil Mickelson

wkrq59
07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
That's cruel. For three rounds, "old folks" could rejoice. It would have been fun to see.
Agree he's been a grouch for too long, but still, it would have been a nice story.
Oh and I was glad to see the Irishman win again. Well played.
Any of you ever play in conditions like that. I remember playing in a semi-gale on the old Jack Nicklaus course at Kings Island, and one of the guys in our foursome stepped up on an elevated tee and the damn wind blew him right over on his ass. One of the funniest things I've ever seen, but it could have been tragic if the wind shifted and blew him into the pond which fronted the tee and served as a ball magnet.:D

GoMuskies
07-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Greg Norman = Phil Mickelson

If he reads this on his private jet tonight after banging Chris Evert he might sob.