PDA

View Full Version : UD Non-Con Schedule Announced

xuab
07-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Seems like there are no big name games at the arena. The marquee game is in the Chicago Invitational against Marquette. Their AD says they can't get the BCS schools to come to the arena and feels it will take a deep run in the tourney to change it. If this was X's non-con schedule, I doubt I could be too excited about it. (Although it would be nice to get our schedule out this early.)

Nov. 16 Wofford Southern 16-16 8-12 4th (South)
Nov. 19 Delaware State MEAC 14-16 10-6 4th
Nov. 23 Bethune-Cookman* MEAC 11-21 5-11 9th
Nov. 25 Mercer * Atlantic Sun 11-19 6-10 T-8th
Nov. 28 vs. Auburn * Southeastern 14-16 4-12 6th (West)
Nov. 29 vs. Marquette * Big East 25-10 11-7 T-5th
Dec. 2 Troy Sun Belt 12-19 4-14 6th (East)
Dec. 6 at Akron MAC 24-11 11-5 2nd
Dec. 10 at Creighton Miss. Valley 22-11 10-8 4th
Dec. 13 Coppin State MEAC 16-21 7-9 T-7th
Dec. 20 UNC Greensboro Southern 19-12 12-8 3rd (North)
Dec. 23 Marshall Conference USA 16-14 8-8 T-6th
Dec. 30 George Mason Col. Athletic 23-11 12-6 2nd
Jan. 2 at Toledo MAC 11-19 7-8 4th (West)
Jan. 6 Miami MAC 17-16 9-7 T-3rd (East)

Juice
07-09-2008, 07:27 AM
That schedule is so so. They do not have their marquee matchup against a Pitt or UNC or whomever that they usually have, unless you count Marquette. I like the Miami, Creighton, Wofford, and Akron games, but too many MAC games overall.

muskiefan82
07-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Is Auburn making the Cincy - Dayton run? Are those games played in the same week - here and at UD? Or is this game in Chicago?

X Factor
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
To be honest, that schedule is terrible! UD can kiss a good SOS goodbye and a good RPI goodbye unless they win 25+ games, and even then I can't see their SOS being any good.

The Auburn game is part of the Chicago tourney.

XU05and07
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Seems like there are no big name games at the arena. The marquee game is in the Chicago Invitational against Marquette. Their AD says they can't get the BCS schools to come to the arena and feels it will take a deep run in the tourney to change it. If this was X's non-con schedule, I doubt I could be too excited about it. (Although it would be nice to get our schedule out this early.)

Maybe if they had an arena that people want to come to. Dayton and that POS arena are not destinations people want to come from all over to play at.

X-band '01
07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
They scheduled for Ws - they better get them if they want to be an NCAA team this year. They might be able to beat Auburn in the Chicago tournament but I don't see them knocking off Marquette.

Masterofreality
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe if they had an arena that people want to come to. Dayton and that POS arena are not destinations people want to come from all over to play at.

The reputation of the urine dump has gotten around.

Muskie
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
I think UD is in that Chicago tourney aren't they? That accounts for the Auburn and Marquette match-ups.

vee4xu
07-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Awful, just like their team.

JAPER
07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
UD has some winable games on the road in that schedule. It would boost RPI numbers. The keys in that list are the Marq and Creighton game. Otherwise, I think it is average at best for non-conf schedule.

cinskyline
07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
That seems like a pretty easy non-conference schedule if you ask me. They almost have to win @ Creighton (and we all know how that is) and win a couple in the Chicago tournament for this to pay off. If Dayton is a bubble team at the end, I don't think this schedule is going to be viewed favorably by the tournament committee.

xu95
07-10-2008, 08:01 AM
They know without Roberts they are going to struggle to score more than 25 points.

xu95

AdamtheFlyer
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
They know without Roberts they are going to struggle to score more than 25 points.

xu95

Nope. They'll score the same amount of points this year as they did before. Maybe more.

I like the schedule. The right mix of cupcakes, good teams, and those in the middle. This team will not be prepared to play a top notch OOC schedule, so there's no point in doing it. Start working now for a big OOC schedule in 09/10.

Split with Auburn and Marquette, lose in Homerha and win the rest is quite possible. At Akron will be a tough one.

xufan02
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Adam, at least you realize that you will lose in Omaha, those MVC refs will give the game to Creighton. I think that is why Xavier got rid of that series.

Ledantwan
07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Nope. They'll score the same amount of points this year as they did before. Maybe more.

I like the schedule. The right mix of cupcakes, good teams, and those in the middle. This team will not be prepared to play a top notch OOC schedule, so there's no point in doing it. Start working now for a big OOC schedule in 09/10.

Split with Auburn and Marquette, lose in Homerha and win the rest is quite possible. At Akron will be a tough one.

Seems realistic. Split in Chicago, lose to Creighton and lose one random game to a MAC team, George Mason or someone like that and that would be 12-3. What kind of RPI would that leave UD with? 50ish?

jdm2000
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Interesting to see that the posters at UD Pride are not all that pleased with the schedule. It does seem to be a little heavy on the cupcakes. Really, though, it just makes me appreciate the job that Bobo does scheduling-wise each and every year.

A10fan
07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Interesting to see that the posters at UD Pride are not all that pleased with the schedule. It does seem to be a little heavy on the cupcakes. Really, though, it just makes me appreciate the job that Bobo does scheduling-wise each and every year.

Bobo can only pull these schedules off because of our sustained success. It ain't gonna happen but if we somehow fall to the level of ud, I would look for Bobo to have the same scheduling issues as ud.

AdamtheFlyer
07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Seems realistic. Split in Chicago, lose to Creighton and lose one random game to a MAC team, George Mason or someone like that and that would be 12-3. What kind of RPI would that leave UD with? 50ish?

I don't know, and to be honest, I don't care. I care about building a team good enough to win the A10. If that happens, odds are they will be dancing anyway.

Worrying about the RPI just seems defeatist and pessimistic to me. Go big or buy season tickets for the women's team.

XU-XHI
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Worrying about the RPI just seems defeatist and pessimistic to me. Go big or buy season tickets for the women's team.

Adam, have you bought your women's team tickets yet? Obviously the flyers are not going BIG with their schedule. Even the WSU Raiders added Wake to their schedule. As the sports talk host on 980 WONE said last night "Take away Xavier from ud's schedule and the flyers don't have any highly regarded teams of National prominence on the schedule."
Well at least ud has X to save their schedule.

xufan02
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Marquette is going to be very good. Adam, last year Xavier participated in the Chicago invite and we had two home games like the Flyers, but we had to beat Kent State in order to play Indiana. Do the Flyers have to beat Auburn to get Marquette, or is that a gauranteed game?

bleedXblue
07-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I see UD struggling next year. Wright will have to become the go to guy and he has little help......the easy non conference schedule is needed b/c they will strugle in the A-10

AdamtheFlyer
07-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Marquette is going to be very good. Adam, last year Xavier participated in the Chicago invite and we had two home games like the Flyers, but we had to beat Kent State in order to play Indiana. Do the Flyers have to beat Auburn to get Marquette, or is that a gauranteed game?

All I've heard is that it's guaranteed. That's actually a good question.

AdamtheFlyer
07-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Adam, have you bought your women's team tickets yet? Obviously the flyers are not going BIG with their schedule. Even the WSU Raiders added Wake to their schedule. As the sports talk host on 980 WONE said last night "Take away Xavier from ud's schedule and the flyers don't have any highly regarded teams of National prominence on the schedule."
Well at least ud has X to save their schedule.

And therein lies the problem with the average basketball fan. Indiana is a big name program, but I'd rather play George Mason and Creighton this coming year. There are people actually saying we should schedule Northwestern simply because they play in the Big Ten. That's insane. It's much better to schedule a team from a lesser conference that is all but assured of winning 15-20 games.

Marquette will be a top 25, possibly a top 15 team.

Miami is always competitive and a good preparation for league play.

There's nothing wrong with the schedule. It's all about execution and winning games. Do that and the numbers will follow.

XU-XHI
07-15-2008, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=AdamtheFlyer;47186]
QUOTE]

Hmmm...must be why kissel and short stuff dropped them from the schedule.

Scheduling requires balance and if you can get some "name" teams it helps more than just SOS and rpi. It's just not happening now for the flyers and I am not seeing any improvement in the near future given the present leadership.

but at least they wised up and brought back that juggernaut Miami team. (and you're right they are usually a qualty squad that should never have been dropped.)

AdamtheFlyer
07-15-2008, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=AdamtheFlyer;47186]
QUOTE]

Hmmm...must be why kissel and short stuff dropped them from the schedule.

Scheduling requires balance and if you can get some "name" teams it helps more than just SOS and rpi. It's just not happening now for the flyers and I am not seeing any improvement in the near future given the present leadership.

but at least they wised up and brought back that juggernaut Miami team. (and you're right they are usually a qualty squad that should never have been dropped.)

I know. That Pitt game last year was a real stinker. And Louisville.

And Pitt, UNC, and Louisville two seasons ago.

And Vanderbilt. And DePaul.

And Creighton and Mason.

And Maui twice.

And Duke.

Clearly UD cannot schedule some name and very good teams. It's not like all but two of those teams were multi game series. And the two that weren't certainly weren't national TV games against perhaps the top two programs in the country.

Those silly facts.

When was the last time X won at Miami? Case rested. There's a reason UD and X play the Redhawks every year (but one for UD). They prepare both teams for A10 play. Very similar to a mid-level A10 team just about every year.

A10fan
07-15-2008, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=XU-XHI;47195]

I know. That Pitt game last year was a real stinker. And Louisville.

And Pitt, UNC, and Louisville two seasons ago.

And Vanderbilt. And DePaul.

And Creighton and Mason.

And Maui twice.

And Duke.

Clearly UD cannot schedule some name and very good teams. It's not like all but two of those teams were multi game series. And the two that weren't certainly weren't national TV games against perhaps the top two programs in the country.

Pitt was H/H, Louisville was definitely not h/h, UNC was ud being someone else's buy game(embarrassing),Vandy was h/h but terrible, Depaul -see Vandy, Creighton and Mason I don't consider, Maui was connections(nice field on that win BTW), and Duke was another embarassing buy game. I would agree with you about unc or duke if EITHER were on neutral courts or on ABC/CBS.

All in all the flyers had 3 of those games at the dump. That's impressive.

BTW, I would lump Auburn and possibly Virg in with Vandy and depaul for x. It's not even close to Tenn,Ala,Purdue,Ill, Miss.St.,LSU for H/H and even getting 2/1 with KSt. and neutral made for TV games with duke. On top of that is all the preseason tournys and quality fields that X has played over the last 7 years.

DC Muskie
07-16-2008, 08:41 AM
While I dislike Dayton greatly, and enjoy beating their sorry asses, I must say I think they will be better next season. Why?

Because they won't be watching Brian Roberts trying to make up for the fact Traffic Cone is on the court and Jihad Muhammad Warren throwing the ball all over the place.

I think everyone with the exception of Charles Little, has the potential to be a good player. Chris Wright, who I have seen in limited action, looks like he can be a great player. I think the key is, he has a different make up then Roberts, and therefore will be a different type of leader. Short Stack looks to be bringing in a more athletic type of player to Dayton, and if they can do two things, they should be fine.

Score from multiple areas.
Win on the road.

Two things are going to hold them back though.

Point guard play.
Three point threats that will open up.

I'm interested to see how Johnson develops. Will he be more like Roberts, or Little? My bet is Roberts.

While I think this schedule is not the best, I tend to agree with Adam's thinking that winning in the conference is where the focus should be. That being said, we have seen what a good rpi conference can do for teams on the bubble.

AdamtheFlyer
07-16-2008, 04:09 PM
BTW, I would lump Auburn and possibly Virg in with Vandy and depaul for x. It's not even close to Tenn,Ala,Purdue,Ill, Miss.St.,LSU for H/H and even getting 2/1 with KSt. and neutral made for TV games with duke. On top of that is all the preseason tournys and quality fields that X has played over the last 7 years.

What in the world does X have to do with UD OOC scheduling? Is that really all you do, sit around and wait to compare the programs in cases where comparisons don't apply?

A10fan
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Dude, you're on an X messageboard trying to defend a weakass schedule and program. Why do you even care what happens on this board? I was just trying to help you with "those silly facts".

MADXSTER
07-16-2008, 06:10 PM
It's not the best schedule UD could have come made. That being said, it's a good schedule for UD. You want to schedule within a gameplan according to the talent on your roster. You want wins and UD will get them as long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot. Sounds like they are doing the best they can with what they've got.

AdamtheFlyer
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Dude, you're on an X messageboard trying to defend a weakass schedule and program. Why do you even care what happens on this board? I was just trying to help you with "those silly facts".

Defend? There's nothing to defend. I stated the facts, you can interpret them as you choose. The issue is really that you don't have the mental capacity to have a discussion without making a fool of yourself. Put your helmet on.

MADXSTER
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Here's an article from the Dayton Daily News and some thoughts from UD fans regarding their schedule. Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/07/09/ddn070908spudbb.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=36