PDA

View Full Version : Brian Gregory in hot water?

Muskie
07-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Dayton Commit Juwan Staten recently quipped, ""I'm pretty much content where I am right now, but I've heard rumors that Coach Gregory might not be there when I get there," said Staten. "If that is the case, then I'll definitely look somewhere else."

PM Thor
07-08-2008, 08:09 AM
What is the source Muskie? EDIT....I found it....
I have heard before that Gregory is on a short leash, as in, if he doesn't make the tourney, he might be out. Supposedly, now supposedly, he was given a pass on that for last year because of the injuries during the regular season. I cannot verify any of this, just what I had heard.

Muskie
07-08-2008, 08:19 AM
What is the source Muskie? EDIT....I found it....
I have heard before that Gregory is on a short leash, as in, if he doesn't make the tourney, he might be out. Supposedly, now supposedly, he was given a pass on that for last year because of the injuries during the regular season. I cannot verify any of this, just what I had heard.

It was something he stated at one of the tourneys over the weekend.

DC Muskie
07-08-2008, 08:39 AM
For Dayton not being in the tournament, that's pretty ridiculous.

Remember BG took over an NCAA tournament first game exit program. I know, I know, Purnell left the cupboard bare, and all BG could do was fill it with the Jimmie Binnie's of the world.

XUglow
07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Let's just hope that BG isn't in deep hot water. That would be very serious.

Tardy Turtle
07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8567/boilingwaterbgbr1.jpg

GoMuskies
07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I hope Dayton keeps hiring terrible coaches forever. They could be a real force if they had a coach who knew what he was doing, and none of us want that!

Stonebreaker
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Dayton being better would be a plus for Xavier and the A-10 conference. Bottom line is.......they need to recruit a heck of a lot better.

muskienick
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
His recruiting seems to be improving. The questions now are if he can actually develop that good high school talent into legitimate college stars and if he is the game coach he has to be to get UD to the "Show."

sirthought
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I think there are enough similarities between X and UD that if they did recruit better, we'd be struggling to keep up the success. We go after so many of the same type of players.

That said, it's our success that separates us in the selection by recruits. But one charismatic coach, like say a young Bruce Pearl type, and it could be a bigger battle for X. Gregory obviously is no pearl.

xufan02
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
BG is not on the hot seat but it is getting warmer. He has only made the NCAA tourney once since he took over at UD with Purnell's players in the 2003-2004 season.

2004-2005 Season 18-11 vs XU 1-1
2005-2006 Season 14-17 vs XU 1-1
2006-2007 Season 19-12 vs XU 0-3
2007-2008 Season 23-11 vs XU 0-3 NIT

I will admit Dayton was on pace last year to earn an at-large bid, and then had some bad luck with injuries. I will also admit that BG is doing a better job of recruiting, Chris Wright was a huge get for them, and he has done his part getting other solid local players to go to UD as well.

Three areas in which BG struggles is player development, X and O's, and scheduling. Dayton is loaded this season with cupcakes and are going to need to virtually run the table in their non-confernce and finish with 12 wins in the A-10 not including the A-10 tourney to make the NCAAs. If they fall short of that BG will feel the heat and Stanten will be at another program come the 2010 season.

XU Dozer
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I would argue that BG hasn't gotten any better at recruiting. Getting home grown talent to stay home to be the man on the team from day one is not that hard to do. Dayton isn't a large city and a lot of these kids love the idea of being able to continue being the man in front of their friends and family. I think had BG been unable to keep these guys he'd be a lousy recruiter, but merely getting them to stay home isn't anything spectacular.

AdamtheFlyer
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
His recruiting seems to be improving. The questions now are if he can actually develop that good high school talent into legitimate college stars and if he is the game coach he has to be to get UD to the "Show."

This is the winning post.

There's no two ways about it, his recruiting the first few years was not good, and it's not all his fault. Meacham bailing hurt, but not all that much. Plummer being immature hurt far worse. The cupboard was dry, and the size of the first class hurt the second.

Adefatguy was terrible. Just awful. He's done well to develop Charles Little, but there's no denying Little was a below average prospect coming out of HS. Alvarez was not good at all. Roberts was Roberts.

Then things changed with the Johnson/Huelsman class. Wright and a very encouraging Searcy were next. This year's class looks to be solid. Kavanaugh is a great pickup that will be underrated. The '10 class has the potential to be top 20 in the nation if things come together.

With the steady increase in talent has come a steady improvement over the last two seasons. That improvement needs to continue and it needs to bring tangible results. Last year was NIT, this year should be competing for a league title and making the NCAA.

Should the progress hit a speed bump, BG will be re-evaluated. Should it stop completely he'll be heading back to work under Izzo.

MADXSTER
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Adam, I for some reason think that Paul Williams will turn out to be very solid for you guys. I've just read too many good things about him. He's improved quite a bit since he signed his LOI. He's a very good get IMO with lots of upside.

Arnold Horshack
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
We need BG to go so we can get Staten.

AdamtheFlyer
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Adam, I for some reason think that Paul Williams will turn out to be very solid for you guys. I've just read too many good things about him. He's improved quite a bit since he signed his LOI. He's a very good get IMO with lots of upside.

I'm really excited about Williams, especially his ability to contribute right away. From what I read about him in the past he looks to be capable of defending the 2/3 spots right away. That's important in BGs system.

I like all the guys coming in. Benson has a world of potential, Fabreeze could help expand defenses if he can shoot as advertised, and Chris Johnson could be instant energy off the bench. No superstars like Wright or Frease, but it's a solid class to add to what we have.

xufan02
07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
From what I have read I think Paul Williams is going to turn out like Chris Monroe of GW. He will be a physical guard who is tough as nails and can shoot lights out.

Cheesehead
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I would like UD to improve, as it does help the A-10's rep but I don't expect them to pass XU as a program anytime soon.

Stonebreaker
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Hell no. But a good regional rivalry would be nice. Jimmy Carter is dyin for a victory.

muskiefan82
07-09-2008, 08:13 AM
...if I ever walk away from a home game that Xavier lost to UD. I started going to games the year the streak began and I've never seen a losing effort against UD at home.

I like that streak a lot.

xu95
07-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Adam, I agree with all of your statements above except for the one about Searcy. I don't see him ever doing more than he did last year.

Back to the original topic, what are the grumblings like in Dayton? I had actually heard from someone last year (not involved in these messageboards, but very close to Dayton) and he indicated that Gregory was told at the beginning of last season that he had to make the postseason or he was gone. I wonder if this year he is being told it has to be the real tournament.

xu95

AdamtheFlyer
07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Adam, I agree with all of your statements above except for the one about Searcy. I don't see him ever doing more than he did last year.

Back to the original topic, what are the grumblings like in Dayton? I had actually heard from someone last year (not involved in these messageboards, but very close to Dayton) and he indicated that Gregory was told at the beginning of last season that he had to make the postseason or he was gone. I wonder if this year he is being told it has to be the real tournament.

xu95

I don't know who to believe. My close "source" graduated in May, so I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes at this point. I really don't buy the ultimatum stuff. From the decent amount of info I have on the type of people Kissell and Dr. Curan are, it doesn't fit them. But I have been wrong before...

There's definitely pressure. The school wants to grow and become better academically. They had a record number of apps this year and better ACT/SAT scores than ever getting admitted. One way of continuing that trend is raising the profile through more coverage in the sports realm. With no big time football, that responsibility falls on men's basketball.

D-West & PO-Z
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't know who to believe. My close "source" graduated in May, so I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes at this point. I really don't buy the ultimatum stuff. From the decent amount of info I have on the type of people Kissell and Dr. Curan are, it doesn't fit them. But I have been wrong before...

There's definitely pressure. The school wants to grow and become better academically. They had a record number of apps this year and better ACT/SAT scores than ever getting admitted. One way of continuing that trend is raising the profile through more coverage in the sports realm. With no big time football, that responsibility falls on men's basketball.

UH-OH!.....

xu95
07-11-2008, 07:56 AM

I would agree with this. Xavier has always said one of the biggest benefits of the first Elite 8 run was the amount of kids who wanted to come to and applied to Xavier.

Whether we like it or not, most kids make a decision on college based on the sports. Now obviously there are a lot of other factors, but they want to be a part of a winner.

xu95

Kahns Krazy
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I would agree with this. Xavier has always said one of the biggest benefits of the first Elite 8 run was the amount of kids who wanted to come to and applied to Xavier.

Whether we like it or not, most kids make a decision on college based on the sports. Now obviously there are a lot of other factors, but they want to be a part of a winner.

xu95

Not sure I would have said it quite this way, but there is no doubt that given all other things being equal, more kids will want to go to a school with a winning program.
Nearly always, the top 1,000 kids out of 10,000 is going to be a better pool than the top 1,000 out of 2,000.

XUglow
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
xu95

Then how do you explain so many kids wanting to go to Notre Dame?

XU05and07
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Then how do you explain so many kids wanting to go to Notre Dame?

Getting caught up in the name...and the big heads that ND fans and alums have (no offense to any ND fans on here...a generalized statement, with a few exceptions)