PDA

View Full Version : MJ or Tiger

MADXSTER
07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Can you handle the tough questions?

Who was/is better at their own sport.........

Michael Jordan/Basketball or Tiger Woods/Golf

Muskie
07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Tiger.......

ATL Muskie
07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I dont know, but MJ was better at golf than Tiger is at basketball.

gladdenguy
07-03-2008, 01:22 AM
But Tiger is better at baseball than Jordan.
Tiger has more money. Better taste in women.
Trumped....I go with Tiger.

XUglow
07-03-2008, 06:40 AM
I dont know, but MJ was better at golf than Tiger is at basketball.

MJ's golf game really wasn't that good. He averaged about 76 on his home course. I don't believe he ever broke 80 on any of the tournaments or qualifying events he ever tried. In a nutshell, MJ's golf game doesn't rate comparison with Odia's basketball ability.

PGA Tour golf is brutally hard competition. About 150 guys have some status on the tour. If you figure a 20-year lifespan, you basically have to be in the top 7 or 8 golfers in the world in the year that you come along to make it. Even then, very few of the top college players can go straight to the tour. It takes several years honing an already quality game to even make a living out there. Imagine an NBA draft where you expected only 1 or 2 of the best college players to actually make a team immediately with maybe 7 or 8 catching on in the next 5 years. That's the PGA Tour, and that is the group of people that Tiger dominates.

Tardy Turtle
07-03-2008, 06:49 AM
I'd do them both.

Masterofreality
07-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Tiger. He has to do it all himself.

MJ, while probably the greatest bball player ever, couldn't win by himself. Last time I checked, he never scored 100% of his team's points.

Tiger has no backup and no safety net. Either he makes the putt or he doesn't. The putt on 18 to force a playoff in the 2008 US Open had no chance for a mulligan or do-over and it had no one to help tip it in if it missed. If he missed, Rocco wins, Tiger loses. Tiger didn't miss.

You may not like pro golf, or golf in general, but it is the one pure sport where every participant causes their own fate and their results are based purely on their actions. Everything is earned and nothing is guraranteed. That is why, it is the sport of kings.

Juice
07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah but Jordan also had to fix the mistakes, turnovers, and bad plays of his teammates who could have hurt his team's chances. It goes both ways.

D-West & PO-Z
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah but Jordan also had to fix the mistakes, turnovers, and bad plays of his teammates who could have hurt his team's chances. It goes both ways.

I was about to say the same thing. While I dont like Jordan or the Bulls, Jordan had to carry guys like Bill Wennington, Luc Longley, and others. Without Jordan the Bulls dont win one of those NBA Championships. This is really just a dumb comparison in the first place because people like MOR can say Tiger has to do it on his own Jordan couldnt, well no shit. Of course one guy cant win a game 1 on 5, but Jordan came as close as anyone to doing it that way.

MADXSTER
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
While I dont like Jordan

Just out of curiousity, why do you not like Jordan? I thought he rep the NBA and himself pretty good. I think he helped about bringing alot of fans back to watching the NBA. (Even though I'm not one to watch much NBA.) No fights, arrests, drugs, sex scandals, etc.

MADXSTER
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Tiger's wife

http://uplink.space.com/attachments/494587-elin_nordegren.jpg

Michael's Ex

http://media1.suntimes.com/multimedia/jordan.jpg_20061230_11_05_36_118-116-165.imageContent

Masterofreality
07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I was about to say the same thing. While I dont like Jordan or the Bulls, Jordan had to carry guys like Bill Wennington, Luc Longley, and others.

What the hell was so bad about Longley and Wennington? Hell, guy, your screen name should tell you something. James Posey may not have the best stats, but he's a coaches dream and a damn winner. He does the little things that wins like Defense, hustle and the intangibles. Wennington and Longley did the same thing. MJ also had a guy who played center by the name of Bill Cartwright, a pro's pro. It's not like MJ had nothing but slugs playing around him. Your's may be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. Seems like guys like Pippen, Paxson, Grant, Oakley, Harper, Rodman and Kerr were pretty damn good.

The fact is that while the Bulls were winning, there were no dominant centers in the league other than maybe Hakeem and the Bulls never met them in the finals. Other than Hakeem, Brad Daugherty may have been close to the best but he was a glorified power forward. "The Chief" Robert Parrish was on his last leg. In 1991 the Lakers had Sam Perkins at center. In 1992 the Blazers had Kevin Duckworth. '93? Phoenix had Tom Chambers. In 1996 Seattle had a guy named Detlef Schrempf at center with Frank Brickowski as his back-up. The Lakers had Elden Campbell. All those guys were more forwards. In 1997 and 1998 the Jazz had Greg Oster-fat at center. Not exactly a list of Hall of Famers.

If you read what I said, I said that MJ is the greatest basketball player ever. The fact is, however, that Tiger's accomplishments are greater and more impressive because it is all on him.

Not just "people like MOR" believe that. Do your research.

D-West & PO-Z
07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Just out of curiousity, why do you not like Jordan? I thought he rep the NBA and himself pretty good. I think he helped about bringing alot of fans back to watching the NBA. (Even though I'm not one to watch much NBA.) No fights, arrests, drugs, sex scandals, etc.

Well first let me address the bolded issues.

Jordan was an adulterer(although I believe many professional athletes probably are), he is addicted to gambling so much so that he nearly became the Pete Rose of basketball. The gambling issues were his reason for leaving the game the first time to play baseball, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. There are even theories out there, I am not one who necessarily believes this, that his fathers murder was somehow related to Jordan's gambling problems.

Now those arent really the reasons I dont like Jordan, those are just some things that people forget about him sometimes. The real reasons I dont like Jordan are strictly related to sports and my love of the New York Knicks. Jordan constantly crushed my dreams as a Knicks fan as I was growing up. Jordan, Olajuwaon, and John Starks are the only reasons why Patrick Ewing never won a ring. Not to mention how about Jordan's push off against the Jazz in his last shot for the Bulls in '98, I mean C'mon!!! That was so blatant its not even funny. Jordan got all the calls all the time and that is another reason I'm not a big fan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PRCTp57LQro

PUSH OFF!!!

D-West & PO-Z
07-03-2008, 01:17 PM
What the hell was so bad about Longley and Wennington? Hell, guy, your screen name should tell you something. James Posey may not have the best stats, but he's a coaches dream and a damn winner. He does the little things that wins like Defense, hustle and the intangibles. Wennington and Longley did the same thing. MJ also had a guy who played center by the name of Bill Cartwright, a pro's pro. It's not like MJ had nothing but slugs playing around him. Your's may be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. Seems like guys like Pippen, Paxson, Grant, Oakley, Harper, Rodman and Kerr were pretty damn good.

The fact is that while the Bulls were winning, there were no dominant centers in the league other than maybe Hakeem and the Bulls never met them in the finals. Other than Hakeem, Brad Daugherty may have been close to the best but he was a glorified power forward. "The Chief" Robert Parrish was on his last leg. In 1991 the Lakers had Sam Perkins at center. In 1992 the Blazers had Kevin Duckworth. '93? Phoenix had Tom Chambers. In 1996 Seattle had a guy named Detlef Schrempf at center with Frank Brickowski as his back-up. The Lakers had Elden Campbell. All those guys were more forwards. In 1997 and 1998 the Jazz had Greg Oster-fat at center. Not exactly a list of Hall of Famers.

If you read what I said, I said that MJ is the greatest basketball player ever. The fact is, however, that Tiger's accomplishments are greater and more impressive because it is all on him.

Not just "people like MOR" believe that. Do your research.

Ummm hello!!??? Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Shaq, were also players the bulls had to face all Hall of Famers. Rik Smits for the Pacers was way better than they Bull's centers.

Michael Jordan was the MVP ALL SIX TIMES THAT THE BULLS WON!!!!! He was that team no question about it MOR. This argument is stupid in the first place because you are arguing for a guy because he does it all by himself, while the other guy doesnt have that opportunity. You have made it impossible to argue against your point because the other guy isnt given the same opportunity. Although Jordan was as close as you come to a one man team. Yes he had others around him most notably Pippen. In the season Jordan didnt play the Bulls had a great regular season, but without Jordan who was the man in the playoffs, they lost in the second round.

I also love the "Do your research" comment as if there was a right and a wrong answer in this argument. Oh wait, apparently you do think that there is a right answer, YOUR answer as you write "The fact is, however, that Tiger's accomplishments are greater and more impressive because it is all on him." No MOR that is not a fact, that is your opinon, mine differs and it obviously touched a nerve, sorry about that.;)

Lloyd Christmas
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Pippen was voted as an all time top 50 player, so you can't right him off and say that Jordan was a one man team.

XU05and07
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Tiger does not play defense.

I rarely blows a lead...so I think the plays some pretty good defense

He just can't make a comeback on Sunday in a major

xeus
07-03-2008, 01:47 PM
The fact is, however, that Tiger's accomplishments are greater and more impressive because it is all on him.

Actually MOR, that is not a fact, it is your opinion.

How good a person is at their own sport has nothing to do with whether there are 1, 5, 9, or 11 people on a team. Given all the differences between the sports, including # of people on the team, who is best at their sport?

xeus
07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
You may not like pro golf, or golf in general, but it is the one pure sport where every participant causes their own fate and their results are based purely on their actions. Everything is earned and nothing is guraranteed. That is why, it is the sport of kings.

MOR, there are many sports in which an individual causes their own fate and results are based purely on their actions. I can list them if you'd like but I'm sure you can figure them out, especially with the Olympics coming up.

Masterofreality
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=D-West & PO-Z;45664]Ummm hello!!??? Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Shaq, were also players the bulls had to face all Hall of Famers. Rik Smits for the Pacers was way better than they Bull's centers.
QUOTE]

Well, we'll agree on one thing. This argument is pretty damn stupid.

Again, D, do your research. Shaq and Mourning were NOT Hall of Fame quality yet when the Bulls were on their run. Hell, they both weren't even drafted until 1992 after the Bulls had already won two championships. Ewing? I'll give you- partially. But don't tell me that the Knucks supporting cast was better than the Bulls- not even close. And again, I said that MJ is the greatest basketball player ever. How many more props can I give the guy? He was sure better than Ewing- especially when it came to mental toughness. But here's the real point-Cartwright would shut Ewing down just like Bill Russell shut Wilt down, which is exactly what I've been saying. Without quality teammates, Jordan doesn't have 6 rings. Paxson would outplay Sparks and Grant would outplay Oakley. Pippen would abuse anyone on the Knocks that tried to guard him.

Smits? HA! Another Ilgauskas. Nice player but not championship or HOF quality.

It's an apples to oranges comparison, but Tiger still wins. He won majors with Fluff Cowan as his caddy. That proves it's all him.:p

xeus
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Is Tiger even the greatest ever at his own sport yet?

D-West & PO-Z
07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=D-West & PO-Z;45664]Ummm hello!!??? Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Shaq, were also players the bulls had to face all Hall of Famers. Rik Smits for the Pacers was way better than they Bull's centers.
QUOTE]

Well, we'll agree on one thing. This argument is pretty damn stupid.

Again, D, do your research. Shaq and Mourning were NOT Hall of Fame quality yet when the Bulls were on their run. Hell, they both weren't even drafted until 1992 after the Bulls had already won two championships. Ewing? I'll give you- partially. But don't tell me that the Knucks supporting cast was better than the Bulls- not even close. And again, I said that MJ is the greatest basketball player ever. How many more props can I give the guy? He was sure better than Ewing- especially when it came to mental toughness. But here's the real point-Cartwright would shut Ewing down just like Bill Russell shut Wilt down, which is exactly what I've been saying. Without quality teammates, Jordan doesn't have 6 rings. Paxson would outplay Sparks and Grant would outplay Oakley. Pippen would abuse anyone on the Knocks that tried to guard him.

Smits? HA! Another Ilgauskas. Nice player but not championship or HOF quality.

It's an apples to oranges comparison, but Tiger still wins. He won majors with Fluff Cowan as his caddy. That proves it's all him.:p

You wont get a reaction out of me for the Ewing comments. As for Mourning, he was an all star 4 times already by the time Jordan left the Bulls for good, he was a great player already. Shaq was on an all NBA team his second year in the league. They were both very good early on.

Again look to the year Jordan was off the team, the Bulls accomplished nothing!! He comes back and they win 3 more times!! Jordan made that team as dominant as any team has ever been in an 8 year span. 6 NBA championships in 8 years. Tiger isnt even considered the best golfer of all time by many people yet. Maybe after he is done we can reevaluate the situation but right now my vote has to go to Jordan.

D-West & PO-Z
07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Is Tiger even the greatest ever at his own sport yet?

I put the same thing into my previous post before I had seen yours but the point is the same and a valid one.

Stonebreaker
07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm going with MJ. Watching him never put me to sleep. Just sayin.

XUglow
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Golf is much funnier than basketball.

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle, followed by a good bottle of beer.

Golf! You hit down to make the ball go up. You swing left and the ball goes right. The lowest score wins. And on top of that, the winner buys the drinks

Golf is harder than baseball In golf, you have to play your foul balls.

If you find you do not mind playing golf in the rain, the snow, even during a hurricane, here's a valuable tip: your life is in trouble.

Golfers who try to make everything perfect before taking the shot rarely make a perfect shot.

The term 'mulligan' is really a contraction of the phrase 'maul it again.'

A 'gimme' can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers ...neither of whom can putt very well.

An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play; it is always possible to get worse.

Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and for no reason at all you really stink.

If your best shots are the practice swing and the 'gimme putt', you might wish to reconsider this game.

Golf is the only sport where the most feared opponent is you.

Golf is like marriage: If you take yourself too seriously it won't work, and both are expensive.

The best wood in most amateurs' bags is the pencil.

Golfer A: I got a set of clubs for my wife.
Golfer B: Man, I wish I could make a trade like that.

Stonebreaker
07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Glow......you need to post more. Just sayin.