PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, Illinois

Snipe
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Dear Muskie Nation,

I am packing up the car and taking the wife and kids to Springfield Illinois. I hear they have a new museum for honest Abe. I can't wait to say "Don't make me pull this car over".

Anyone been to Springfield? Any recommendations? Some of my thoughts are:

1) Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
2) Henson Robinson Zoo
3) Canoe the Sangamon River?
4) Hike?

Anyone know about the Sangamon? I found a canoe rental within a half hour of Springfield? I am also interested if anyone knows of any cool stuff to check out on the nature side of things around Springfield or on the way.

We are just throwing this together at the last minute.

I also need to know the best Pizza place in Springfield.

Tell me what you know about Springfield.

Mrs. Garrett
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
You might want to check out New Salem, IL. They have re-created the village where Lincoln spent his early life. Last time I was there was 1989 for the 8th grade trip to Springfield everyone growing up in Illinois has to take, but I remember enjoying it.

X Factor
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum is remarkable! It is worth going to Springfield if that's the only thing you do. Take your time walking through it though.

A few places to eat:

Joe Roger's Den Chili Parlor. (A Springfield landmark - great chili)

Charlie Parker's Diner (As seen on The Food Network's 'Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives' featuring the Horseshoe)

Melo-Cream Donuts

94GRAD
07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I hear Isotop's stadium is cool and Moe's Tavern is a must.

Snipe
07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
94- If they don't have a Moe's there someone should open one.

X-Factor - I have heard that the Presdential Museum is the real deal. Thanks for the suggestions for food. Those are always welcome.

Garrett, New Salem is now on the list. That was an excellent suggestion. I think the kids will get a kick out of that.

xeus
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Springfield, IL : Knob Creek, KY :: Kitty Hawk, NC : Dayton, OH

Kahns Krazy
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I read "Roadfood" from time to time, and found a thread about Springfield.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18991&SearchTerms=springfield

Has some tips and some links you may want to check out.

This is a trip report that starts in Springfield. I guess they are famous for a "Horseshoe" sandwich that is some kind of open faced sandwich with fries on top.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28171&SearchTerms=springfield

Given that Springfield sits on Route 66 and there are a number of guides out there for that road, that may be of help too.

Juice
07-01-2008, 05:01 PM
The Horseshoe was on D,D, and D on the food network. It is some huge open faced burger with cheese and about a pound of fries loaded on top. There is also some breakfest version as well. It looked awesome.

X-band '01
07-01-2008, 07:56 PM
When I looked at the first few words of this post I thought Snipe was moving away from Cincinnati out west to Springfield. Man did that scare the hell out of me.

xeus
07-01-2008, 08:13 PM
When I looked at the first few words of this post I thought Snipe was moving away from Cincinnati out west to Springfield. Man did that scare the hell out of me.

I did the same thing. I thought it would say:

Dear Muskie Nation,

I am packing up the car and taking the wife and kids to Springfield Illinois. I hear they have a new museum for honest Abe. I can't wait to say to my wife and kids, "I'm sorry you people decided I couldn't attend the Puerto Rico Shootout. I hope you enjoy Springfield. It's a long walk back to the West End. Good luck, and if you need anything, call me on Fred Garvin's cell phone".

ATL Muskie
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
The Donner Party began their journey west from Springfield. So, if you get hungry and can't find a good pizza joint then you can always chow down on one of the kids.

American X
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
The Donner Party began their journey west from Springfield. So, if you get hungry and can't find a good pizza joint then you can always chow down on one of the kids.

Take one of the Most Valuable Kids as a spare.

Those poor Snipelings jammed in the station wagon being lectured on how Lincoln ran roughshod over the Constitution. Big Government started with Lincoln.

MADXSTER
07-01-2008, 11:43 PM

Take one of the Most Valuable Kids as a spare.

You guys are so wrong. So why am I laughing?

ATL Muskie
07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Those poor Snipelings jammed in the station wagon being lectured on how Lincoln ran roughshod over the Constitution. Big Government started with Lincoln.

http://info.detnews.com/dn/joyrides/2000/laborday/79truckster.jpg http://images.allposters.com/images/mmph/242059.jpg

"Look kids, there's the home of the American president who suspended habeas corpus, destroyed states' rights, and significantly increased the power of the federal government."

"Wow Papa Snipe! Can we go in it?"

"Nope."

Snipe
07-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Hilarious and true. Lincoln is worshipped like a God. I wonder how different his legacy would have been had he not been killed.

I also think about how different this country could have been had been able to avoid the Civil War. A root cause of the war was tax policy and tarriffs that were harsh on the South. I wonder if they will mention that in the museum. It is quite possible that free trade could have stopped most of the friction.

Great article on the Civil War (http://www.ashevilletribune.com/archives/censored-truths/Morrill%20Tariff.html)

I think Cincinnati would be a lot different today (like most of the country) if we could have avoided the Civil War.

The Artist
07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
What's so civil about war, anyway?

Kahns Krazy
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
"Howdy do?"
"Fine, thanky. Howdy do."
"Quite well. Pity I must be shooting you now"
"Pity indeed. Well met, friend."
Blam.

American X
07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
What is next on the Idealogical Anti-Hero Tour? Lenin's Tomb?

Snipe
07-08-2008, 12:18 AM
My oldest is 7. Lincoln is such a sacred cow that I don't want to teach him anything that might be considered subversive. One day I will make him read the Federalist Papers as a counter balance. The cult of Lincoln is very strong in American culture. Granted, taking him to one of our many Temples to Lincoln is probably not the best way to teach him American history.

I was wondering if ATL could chime in how Lincoln was taught and thought of in the South. The Civil War might be a more complicated history lesson to the Rebels.

I am leaving this Thursday. There should be plenty of stuff that will be usefull and exciting to the kids, especially the pioneer town.

Fred Garvin
07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I wonder if Springfield makes any mention of the Log Cabin Republicans.

nuts4xu
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
All I know about Springfield is that it is the home of the Simpsons. So say hi to Homer for me Snipe!

http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/p/0/-/-/simpsons_family.jpg