PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne being sued

XU05and07
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Former players are suing the school...

PITTSBURGH -- Two former Duquesne basketball players are suing the school over a 2006 shooting that injured them and three other teammates.

Kojo Mensah, a guard, and forward-center Shawn James accuse the university of negligence in the on-campus incident. They are seeking punitive damages.

Mensah and James say in the suit filed Monday that the university failed to provide adequate security at the back-to-school dance on that September night.

They also seek punitive damages for the "willful, wanton and reckless disregard" they say coach Ron Everhart displayed after they were shot and injured. Mensah was shot in the shoulder and arm. James was shot in the foot.

The shooting occurred early Sept. 17, 2006 as five Duquesne players were on their way home from the dance. Also wounded were Aaron Jackson, Stuard Baldonado and Sam Ashaolu, who was shot twice in the head.

wkrq59
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
That lawsuit will hurt recruiting in a way no competing coach could:mad:

MHettel
06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Both of these guys declared for the draft, and neither will get drafted.

The "damages" will be the fact that they likely would have been drafted if not having been shot.

Muskie
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I'll be interested to hear what the circumstances surround the "willful, wanton and reckless disregard" actions of Ron Everhardt.

PMI
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree MHettel. At least this clears up the question of why these guys are in the draft in the first place, particularly Mensah. Sounds to me like these kids found the kind of lawyer that is about to take them for a ride they may regret. Bad news either way.

Muskie
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Both of these guys declared for the draft, and neither will get drafted.

The "damages" will be the fact that they likely would have been drafted if not having been shot.

Except, how do they prove they would've been drafted? Who was the last Duq player drafted?

muskienick
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Regardless of the outcome, the Dukes will suffer from this situation. Jeez! They go from a couple of decades of being horrendously pathetic to finally being not too bad.

Everhart may be looking harder for his next head coaching gig now, but potential employers will likely want to see how this all plays out before they seriously consider him.

bigdiggins
06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll be interested to hear what the circumstances surround the "willful, wanton and reckless disregard" actions of Ron Everhardt.

The players claim he forced them to practice before their injuries had healed, including forcing the player who was shot in the foot to remove his protective boot in order to practice. They also claim this caused severe and long last physical and emotional injuries.

If they are healthy enough to leave school early to play professionally, how serious could the physical injuries caused by their practicing have been.

I wonder if this will cause a certain person on another board to change his opinion of Everhart as the best coach in the A10.

Juice
06-23-2008, 06:47 PM
This is clearly a bunch of BS by these kids who know they are going no where and are trying to get some money on the way there. What happened to them was terrible, but how the hell is the school and Everhart at fault in any of this? Maybe they should try suing the actual people who shot them. Will Stan Chesley swoop in on this case and try to make some more money?

X-band '01
06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Except, how do they prove they would've been drafted? Who was the last Duq player drafted?

Mike James was the last Duquesne player to make it to an NBA roster, but I don't know when (or if) he was drafted.

XU05and07
06-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Both go undrafted last night