PDA

View Full Version : Put In Bay

PM Thor
06-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Who here goes up there regularly? The reason I ask is because....

I'M OUTTA HERE BIOTCHES!!!

Free room and board, free food and drink for the next two days. Leaving right now, on a whim, didn't plan on going but when a chickey invites you up, how can you say no?

Damn I love that island. Miss living up there. Suck it Cincinnati, I wish I could move.

muskienick
06-19-2008, 09:07 AM
As young marrieds, my wife and I and the first few of our kids went to South Bass Island for a 4-5 day stay in the campground there. We set up a smallish pup tent with a tightly zippered opening to store provisions. We slept in our huge station wagon. The local raccoons made quick work of our bread and donuts, easily unzipping the tent (and probably laughing themselves silly a few seconds after we had bunked down for the night).

Some friends with a fishing boat were staying in a rental cabin on the island at the same time and suggested I bring some angling equipment with me to join them in catching us some dinner. I was an avid fisherman, going at least once every 20-25 years. I bought an inexpensive rod, reel and line and borrowed some other stuff from my Dad so I wouldn't look completely like Joe Dork. After settling in about 20 yards from shore, I wailed out a few casts north that I estimate landing just east of Detroit. My more experienced fisherman friend suggested that I would have better luck if I made my casts toward shore. So I turned around and, with an adjusted motion, aimed at a shady area just a few feet from shore using an arcing approach. To make a long story short, my reel disengaged from the rod and fell into the lake, my lure wound up tangled in tree limbs overhanging the lake, and my fishing buddy nearly drowned as a result of laughing so hard that he fell overboard. Did I mention that I dropped my rod in the lake during the excitement of trying to prevent my buddy from going into the drink?

I have yet to return to Put-In-Bay's Island since that trip! (But those bastards that witnessed my fishing "prowess" told and retold that story to my utter chagrin in every teachers' lounge in the Northwest School District.)

Frank D.
06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Friends and I used to go up to Put-in-Bay every July 4th weekend back in the days when I was single and partied a lot (those days, unfortunately, are long gone). Anyways, those weekends are some of my fondest summer memories. We used to stay in a friend's trailer in a campground area - accomodations were meager, but free. We would just sit around and drink and grill out during the day, and head to the bars at night. I have so many drunken stories from Put-in-Bay - it was fantastic.

I've visited a couple of times since with the wife and in-laws (they have a condo in Sandusky and we've boated over). Needless to say, the visits were not as much fun, nor as wild.

gladdenguy
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
PIB is one heck of a place. There are so many females.
We went for my bachelor party and stayed at the Island Club. Great place to stay by the way.
The pool bar that has gone in in the last five years is sweet.
I love the Roundhouse bar. What a great place before marriage and after.

ATL Muskie
06-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Did I mention that I dropped my rod in the lake during the excitement of trying to prevent my buddy from going into the drink?

Sounds like Thor might be dropping his rod in something other than the lake this weekend.

Cheesehead
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Very cool place. Been there only once, but loved it. Stayed in "cabin" on some campground. Cabin is putting it lightly. Had 2 sets of bunkbeds, one sleeper sofa, a compact fridge, a clock radio, and a window air unit. The wife loved it.

gladdenguy
06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Thor,
Make sure you do not drive intoxicated on a golf cart. Considering it is a major mode of transportation, they will get you in a heartbeat.

D-West & PO-Z
06-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I went to Put-In-Bay every summer for 13 years from about 6-19 years old. Unfortunately I havent been back since turning 21, but am in the works for a weekend trip up there this summer. We stayed at the campground every time we went. I didnt get to go into the bars, but I experienced pretty much everything else. Fourth of July weekend was pretty crazy. I saw my first ever fully naked lady in person at PIB. That was about 5th grade? My brother and I and our friends used to cruise the docks on our bikes looking at all the crazy shit going on. My parents used to dump us at the playground, when it had a lot more cool things than it does now, and go to the roundhouse while we entertained ourselves for hours. They used to have an arcade too but they turned it into a shop. My favorite place is the Boardwalk, lots of good times there.

I really do need to go back and experience the bars though. I have been waiting to be able to go to those bars since I was 6. I had class all last summer though so I'm hoping to go this summer. Mr. Ed's was at one time, may still be, the longest bar in the world.

PM Thor
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
That damn island.

I got back a little while ago. Two nights up there partying is enough for me. I lived up there for 6 years straight, and somehow I forgot how completely insane the bar scene is up there. Thursday night ending at the Roundhouse equals many, stories that cannot be repeated. Good times. Add to that the fact I have numerous friends who live out there, and it was a great time. Damn, if they had a full time fire department, I would be up there in a milisecond. I miss that damn island.

And PO-Z, that's not Mr. Eds. That's the Beer Barrel. I dated a girl (a Xavier grad) who worked there (while I bartended at the Boathouse), that is how I had the in on the island. You would be surprised how many X alums visit and how many students actually work up there.

D-West & PO-Z
06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
That damn island.

I got back a little while ago. Two nights up there partying is enough for me. I lived up there for 6 years straight, and somehow I forgot how completely insane the bar scene is up there. Thursday night ending at the Roundhouse equals many, stories that cannot be repeated. Good times. Add to that the fact I have numerous friends who live out there, and it was a great time. Damn, if they had a full time fire department, I would be up there in a milisecond. I miss that damn island.

And PO-Z, that's not Mr. Eds. That's the Beer Barrel. I dated a girl (a Xavier grad) who worked there (while I bartended at the Boathouse), that is how I had the in on the island. You would be surprised how many X alums visit and how many students actually work up there.

Ya, my mistake, its been about 3 years since I have been there and I just got em mixed up. Are there still tons of foreign students who work up there in the summer? I think most of them were from Australia? That was always very interesting as well.

PM Thor
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Ya, my mistake, its been about 3 years since I have been there and I just got em mixed up. Are there still tons of foreign students who work up there in the summer? I think most of them were from Australia? That was always very interesting as well.

Yeah, some of the businesses get a ton of foreign kids. In my day there were a ton of Russians and Eastern Europeans. I noticed this last trip that it hasn't changed. Except that these foreign girls are now willing to have a conversation with me....

Pete Delkus
06-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Heading up there this Saturday with 3 couples - minus kids!.

I took a few Xavier classmates up there after Freshman year. It was 80 degrees and sunny and a fews beers on the Ferry and then and open-aired taxi into town. My stunned Windy City friend said: "I can't believe were in Ohio and this is a normal summer weekend for you?...This would take my family 5 months to plan."

I miss Lonz's! After HS prom I spent 4 days up there and log that time as some of the best debacles of my life.

Here's to pulling limit out at West Sister!