PDA

View Full Version : Is this jaw dropping or is just me?

Tardy Turtle
06-16-2008, 12:56 PM
For some reason I'm really bothered by this and want to punch this woman in the mouth in the worst way.

A Letter to the Editor from today's Enquirer:

EVEN PITTSBURGH FANS CAN BE KIND
Angels are alive and well in the Queen City. I was panicked sitting at Vine Street and North Bend Road with two kids in the back seat and a flat tire. My husband was golfing, not answering his cell phone. My mother-in-law didn't answer the phone. I tried a few friends with no luck.
Then "Mr. Pittsburgh Penguin" pulled in. He motioned and asked if I needed help. I politely declined. I made more phone calls. Where was everyone? Being a native Clevelander and a converted Bengals fan, I decided I had to get over the fact that he had ties to Pittsburgh. I rolled down my window and asked if he knew how to change a tire. He claimed he'd have me on the road in no time. He did.
My kids asked me recently what angels look like. After getting home safely I greeted my two other kids and told them my story. "Tonight," I said, "an angel was wearing a Pittsburgh Penguins hat."

Christine Get AAA or something you stupid skank.

Juice
06-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh, She is such a diehard sports fan. She must love the Bengals so much to refuse help from an angel. This does bother me as well. I second the notion that she is a stupid skank and I wish her and her kids had to wait out there longer than they did.

Tardy Turtle
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
In context doesn't it sound like

"ties to Pittsbugh" = "ties to Al-Qaeda"

Juice
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree, which is what I do not get. "Bengals fans", and I use this term loosely because women and hillbillies have ruined our name in the past decade or so, act like we have some great rivalry with Pittsburgh. Last time I checked, you have to beat them every once in awhile. If she did this because of being a Reds fan, then I can accept that because we have been battling the Pirates for 2nd to last for many years now.

nuts4xu
06-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I like it. F**K Pittsburgh and their sports fans.

However, if it was my wife, and I wasn't answering my cell phone, I would recommend she gets anyone she can to help her. Even it is a Pittsburger.

ATL Muskie
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
A "native Clevelander" and a "converted Bengals fan." Douchebag.

Your husband and mother-in-law didn't answer the phone for a reason. Whore.

$1,000 says she was a Bearcat fan but is now a "converted" West Va fan.

Jumpy
06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I like it. F**K Pittsburgh and their sports fans.

However, if it was my wife, and I wasn't answering my cell phone, I would recommend she gets anyone she can to help her. Even it is a Pittsburger.

x2.

It's not even about a rivalry, Juice. It's about the inbred jacktards that cheered the hit on Carson.

With that said, I'm not staunchly opposed to all Pittsburgh fans. I went to the regular season game up there in 2005 when, for all intents and purposes, the Bengals won the division by beating them. I didn't catch nearly as much flak as I thought I would. Actually, Baltimore that year was way worse. However, it seems as though the level of Steeler fan douchebaggery is directly proportional to the distance they live outside the city. As if those "fans" living far away from the city need to prove their fanhood by being the biggest jackasses possible.

Tardy Turtle
06-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I think we're derailing into "F*ck Pittsburgh" vs. "Don't f*ck Pittsburgh." I was thinking more generally that it's an incredible douche move to automatically judge someone because of some allegiance they may have. Especially when that allegiance is to a bunch of transient athletes who don't really give a sh*t about them or you.

Obviously it's easier and probably correct to make such sweeping generalizations at an actual game where passions will become inflamed (thank you, beer!), but for randoms on the street?

Juice
06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Tardy, you are right. I was trying to say the same that if a sports rivalry affects somewhat important things in your life then you are pathetic.

Snipe
06-16-2008, 04:03 PM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_t9D_ovmGhQE/RsoHfPzsIcI/AAAAAAAALBU/BIuLbzrhOMo/s320/Carson+Palmer

http://bp2.blogger.com/_t9D_ovmGhQE/RsoHlvzsIdI/AAAAAAAALBc/yGj32nwimhU/s320/Carson+Palmer+Kimo+van+Oelhoffen+2.jpg

I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers.

wkrq59
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
She ever hear od AAA? Probably isn't a member and she sure as hell didn't have OnStar...Really, who would be that stupid? Don't answer that.:D

boozehound
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
A big part of the problem is that probably 90% of NFL fans are total moron hicks. That goes for almost any team.

GuyFawkes38
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
A big part of the problem is that probably 90% of NFL fans are total moron hicks. That goes for almost any team.

This rings true in my experiences.

Diehard baseball and basketball fans tend to be a little more savvy, restrained, and circumspect than their football counterparts.

I read an article not long ago claiming that the NFL is stealing many Nascar fans.

Of course, this is all a generalization. But if you randomly picked a football, basketball, and football fan, you'd probably have the most difficulties having an intelligent conversation with the football fan.

boozehound
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Agreed. As a generalization I would feel pretty confident that NFL fans rank right above Nascar fans for average IQ. I'm sure that I just insulted some Nascar fans, but remember people, it is just a generalization. I'm not saying all Nascar fans are morons, just most of them. Same for NFL fans. College football fans would probably rank near the top, with college basketball fans (only counting major sports).

Tardy Turtle
06-16-2008, 07:04 PM
I can't find it now, but a while back there was a video on YouTube of some redneck Arkansas fan whose idea of protesting the fact that Houston Nutt still had a job was to clip his tickets to the Alabama game to a clothesline and shoot them with a shotgun. And he's probably about the median as far as idiot college football fans go.

Juice
06-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I could not agree more with Booze and Guy. It is hard to live in Cincinnati during the Bengals season and listen to the backwater white trash call into the sports talk radio stations. It is painful and the worst part is that it is already starting and its June.

Tardy Turtle
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
It's always hard to listen to Bengals talk radio, but it's far more fun to read the paper when they suck.

boozehound
06-17-2008, 07:38 AM
I could not agree more with Booze and Guy. It is hard to live in Cincinnati during the Bengals season and listen to the backwater white trash call into the sports talk radio stations. It is painful and the worst part is that it is already starting and its June.

Yeah. The talk radio is amazing. I usually just turn it off when they open up the phone lines. Some of the things that people call in to say is just amazing. The best part is that they felt that their opinion was so clever/enlightened that they needed to call in to a radio show and share it with people.

boozehound
06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
I can't find it now, but a while back there was a video on YouTube of some redneck Arkansas fan whose idea of protesting the fact that Houston Nutt still had a job was to clip his tickets to the Alabama game to a clothesline and shoot them with a shotgun. And he's probably about the median as far as idiot college football fans go.

That's true. SEC fans pull the average intelligence of college football fans way down.

Kahns Krazy
06-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I disagree that the percentage of moron fans is anywhere close to 90%. I've had season tickets to the Bengals since before the new stadium, and the season ticket holders I sit around are far from idiots. The idiot percentage is probably closer to 20% of the people, but they certainly make 90% of the noise.

Back to the original question, I have 4 problems with this re-re.
1) I have zero respect for a transplanted Clevelander that converts to a Bengals fan. You can't do that. If you come here from say, Denver, you can convert, but you can't convert in the division. 2) Vine Street and North Bend is not an area to be 'panicked'. 3) If you're grown up enough to have kids, learn how to f**king change a tire. It's not that hard. Take some personal responsibility. If you don't want to do it, at least get a AAA membership so you don't have to rely on your mother-in-law. 4) The guy had a Penguins hat on. I don't know if you noticed lady, but we don't have an NHL team here. We aren't rivals in hockey. For all you know, this guy might hate the Steelers as much as you do.

Instead of asking their mom what an angel looks like, they should be asking what they can do to get out of the trailer park.

PM Thor
06-17-2008, 04:10 PM
I do like reading the opinion page in the paper, because there are some gems in there that crack me up. Then there are the doozies that make me cringe that the paper would even consider printing, yet they do anyway.

Kahns Krazy
06-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Of course, this is all a generalization. But if you randomly picked a football, basketball, and football fan, you'd probably have the most difficulties having an intelligent conversation with the football fan.

Common sense tells me that if two out of a group of three people are football fans, the least intelligent person in the group is going to be a football fan a majority of the time.

GuyFawkes38
06-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I think we can agree that the sport with the most geeky fans is baseball.