PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Dad

mr. zimpher
06-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Dear Dad,
Thank you for everything you've done. You gave up years of your life planning for me. Six years as an undergrad and grad student at Xavier and two years of law at Notre Dame and you then brought me into this world. When I got here, you gave me evertything you had. I'll never forget the Reds, Bengals, and Xavier games you spent your hard earned money on just to share time with me. I'll especially remember all those games we shared at the Gardens. The 96 Umass game along with the 2000 shootout are nights i'll never forget... not because of the outcome, but because i spent them with you. Thank you for giving me the privelage to attend XU and continue five generations of excellence and success. I love you Dad.

Sincerely,
Your first born son

P.S. - Go X

kyxu
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Thank you, dad, for not pulling out.

xeus
06-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Dad and I have shared some great games together, among my favorites: Johnny Bench's retirement night when he hit a homer and received the longest standing ovation I have ever seen, the Bengals-Chargers AFC championship Freezer Bowl, the glorious weekend in Atlanta when Xavier advanced to its first Elite Eight, the 1999 shootout win, the 1996 shootout win ... and countless other great games.

Happy Father's Day Dad. Thanks for making me a Xavier guy.

PM Thor
06-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Pa (and Ma) raised 6 boys. My Pa worked 2 jobs, one as a principal, another for Milacron just to provide for a bunch of boys who ate everything that wasn't tied down. He is, and always will be, my hero, even if he fed us powdered milk and fish sticks once a week.

Xeus, I too shared the Freezer Bowl with my Father. Except that it was a little more complicated. My Mother forbade any of the kids to go to the game, since the weather was so bad, but Pop had 3 tickets. So my Dad told my little brother and I (we won the lottery for the family tickets) ages 9 and 7, to go sit out in the car in the morning, before Mom could see us.

So here comes Dad, tearing ass, running down the steps, letting the car roll backwards without turning on the engine, only to turn it on when we hit the street, and off we went.

Ma was livid when we came home, but it is one of the greatest memories of my childhood, all thanks to Dad. To this day the story still makes me laugh, and it still makes Mom angry.

Thanks Pop, even if you went to UC.

muskienick
06-14-2008, 11:19 PM
It is just a couple of minutes until Father's Day passes. But I will be grateful to my Dad until the day I die. He attended Muskie games with me during the 1960's-1970's "Dark Ages" of Xavier Basketball even though he was a UC grad. We ushered in the coaching era of Bob Staak and marveled at his ability to recruit very fine players into a horrible set of circumstances. Dad stayed with me through the rest of the Schmidt days and took delight in the move to the Gardens and reveled in the move to the Cintas Center. For the last couple of years of his life, we needed to have handicapped seats in the nose bleed section of the Cintas away from our seats in Section 112 (which we kept if he were to ever be able to navigate the steps down to row R or S).

I am so pleased that he was able to enjoy the 2004 Elite Eight experience. Unfortunately, he passed away in October of 2006 so he was unable to see the Muskies kick butt in 2007-2008.

By the time of his passing into heaven in 2006 to join my Mom (who died in 1991 of that damned Alzheimers's disease but attended both Football and Basketball games with us a season ticket holders for a decent number of years, he had lost any desire he had had to be a supporter-in-good-standing with UC Sports. He was Muskie through and through.

Although Dad is now gone, his seat has been replaced by my son-in-law who has become an even a more rabid Xavier fan. I choose to believe that Dad is using Mark (my son-in-law) as the inspiration to bigger and better things.

Thanks, Dad!!!

nuts4xu
06-15-2008, 12:58 AM
One of the funniest memories of my dad at a Xavier game, was when he went into the student section to try and "inspire" the students to do ANYTHING. It was a noon Saturday game, and he was offended with their lack of effort.

My dad is a real beaute, I feel so blessed to still have him in my life, and I am truly thankful for his guidance making me the man I am today. My dad raised 5 of us, in a 4 bedroom, 1 bathroom house, putting all of us through catholic schools, and I am glad he is now enjoying an early retirement. He worked his ass off his whole life for us, picking up extra shifts, working crazy hours to ensure we had a chance at a better life than he had.

I raise a toast to my Dad!! He never reads this board, but what the hell, happy father's day pops!

Stonebreaker
06-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Dear Dad,
Thank you for everything you've done. You gave up years of your life planning for me. Six years as an undergrad and grad student at Xavier and two years of law at Notre Dame and you then brought me into this world. When I got here, you gave me evertything you had. I'll never forget the Reds, Bengals, and Xavier games you spent your hard earned money on just to share time with me. I'll especially remember all those games we shared at the Gardens. The 96 Umass game along with the 2000 shootout are nights i'll never forget... not because of the outcome, but because i spent them with you. Thank you for giving me the privelage to attend XU and continue five generations of excellence and success. I love you Dad.

Sincerely,
Your first born son

P.S. - Go X

Your welcome. :D

waggy
06-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the bail money dad!!

xu95
06-16-2008, 07:49 AM
I remember seeing a Sinbad comedy special on HBO about 10 years ago when one of his jokes was about a college student writing letters home to his parents. Early on the letters were long and talking about all of the different things the kid was learning and that he was having such a great time. He would alway end each letter asking his dad if he was able to send more money.

Near the end of his freshman year in college he sent this letter home to his dad:

No Mon,
No Fun,
Your Son

His dad's response was:

Too bad,
so sad,
Your Dad.

xu95

wkrq59
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
thanks dad