PDA

View Full Version : How I've increased my carbon footprint

GuyFawkes38
06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
I know it's in fashion now to decrease your carbon footprint (decrease the amount of waste you produce).

And I think it's great that people who care about the environment can take little steps towards reducing the pollution they produce and living in harmony with the environment.

But I don't care about the environment. I don't want to live in harmony with the environment. The environment is mine to exploit.

So every Sunday evening I think of little steps I can take towards increasing my carbon footprint. For example, two weeks ago I made the decision to use 100% disposable plates and silverware. Last week I decided to switch from paper to the more harmful and cheaper Styrofoam.

Anyways, I've been doing this for two years and I couldn't be happier. I take long showers. I have air conditioning up to the max. I bought an SUV. I no longer hassle with recycling. Its a recipe for happiness.

I know what your thinking: it must be expensive. But it really isn't too expensive and it's well worth the satisfaction you receive.

Juice
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Me and my friends used to have a "waste electricity day" where we would turn on everything electrical in our dorm rooms. It was noisy but effective.

GuyFawkes38
06-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Me and my friends used to have a "waste electricity day" where we would turn on everything electrical in our dorm rooms. It was noisy but effective.

That sounds like a fun theme for a party.

Nice idea. This is what the internet is all about.

waggy
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
It's just easier to change the oil on the driveway.

nuts4xu
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Last week I decided to switch from paper to the more harmful and cheaper Styrofoam.

You are a man after my own heart. I work for the world's largest manufacturer of foam cups, so use all you want. We'll make more. I hate to burst your bubble, but using foam isn't the evil act the media has made it out to be.

First and foremost it is "foam" not Styrofoam--which is a Dow product and copyrighted. It is the stuff you insulate a house with. The stuff we make our cups and products with is Expandable Polystyrene (or EPS) not styrofoam. And foam is recyclable. It isn't as easy to recycle in this part of the country, but there are cities such as Los Angeles that has a blue bin, curbside recycling program.

Paper hot and cold cups are wrapped twice with plastic (on the inside and the outside) and are NOT recyclable. They are not made of newspaper, so you can't just throw those paper cups in a recycling bin and have them turned back into a cup.

Plus, there are so few composting facilities that even the companies using compostable or degradable materials are wasting their time. Most customers will throw away their wast into a garbage can where it ends up in a landfill. Nothing breaks down in a landfille. You can go to Mt Rumpke right now and dig down and find newspapers from 30 years ago and still read them. You can find hot dogs from 15 years ago with teeth marks still in them. When you put foam in to a landfill, it is actually better for the landfill because foam is inert. You know in 40 years nothing has changed. The product hasn't shifted, or released any harmful chemicals into the ground, it is simply a dirtier version of the cup we made originally.

If you compare the life cycle from a foam cup to that of a paper cup, you will find the life cycle on the foam cup is much friendlier to the environment. I like to use the current example of the Hummer. If you take the life cycle of a hybrid car, and compare it to the life cycle of a Hummer, you will find the life cycle of the Hummer is better for the environment than the hybrid. Ask Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. They spent 2 years researching what cup is the best option for their cafe drink program in the Sam's Club stores. They reviewed all options and all materials. They chose foam for their cold drink prograrm. McDonald's went away from foam years ago when they begun to use paper to wrap their burgers. Now, with their new sweet tea program, they buy more foam from us than they ever have before.

The tree huggers and environmentalists will never admit to this, but those who have conducted actual research will tell you this is true. Everyone (except Guyfawkes) wants to do something good for the environment, and I have no problem with that, but they need to do some research. Even guyfawkes who wants to do something bad for the environment should understand more about the battle between foam and paper cups.

We are a private company, and have been around for nearly 60 years. Our company is owned by some reasonably young guys, and they aren't going away any time soon. We are a multi-billion dollar company, and a leader in our industry.

And I am just trying to change the world one cup at a time.

GuyFawkes38
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
You are a man after my own heart. I work for the world's largest manufacturer of foam cups, so use all you want. We'll make more. I hate to burst your bubble, but using foam isn't the evil act the media has made it out to be.

First and foremost it is "foam" not Styrofoam--which is a Dow product and copyrighted. It is the stuff you insulate a house with. The stuff we make our cups and products with is Expandable Polystyrene (or EPS) not styrofoam. And foam is recyclable. It isn't as easy to recycle in this part of the country, but there are cities such as Los Angeles that has a blue bin, curbside recycling program.

Paper hot and cold cups are wrapped twice with plastic (on the inside and the outside) and are NOT recyclable. They are not made of newspaper, so you can't just throw those paper cups in a recycling bin and have them turned back into a cup.

Plus, there are so few composting facilities that even the companies using compostable or degradable materials are wasting their time. Most customers will throw away their wast into a garbage can where it ends up in a landfill. Nothing breaks down in a landfille. You can go to Mt Rumpke right now and dig down and find newspapers from 30 years ago and still read them. You can find hot dogs from 15 years ago with teeth marks still in them. When you put foam in to a landfill, it is actually better for the landfill because foam is inert. You know in 40 years nothing has changed. The product hasn't shifted, or released any harmful chemicals into the ground, it is simply a dirtier version of the cup we made originally.

If you compare the life cycle from a foam cup to that of a paper cup, you will find the life cycle on the foam cup is much friendlier to the environment. I like to use the current example of the Hummer. If you take the life cycle of a hybrid car, and compare it to the life cycle of a Hummer, you will find the life cycle of the Hummer is better for the environment than the hybrid. Ask Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. They spent 2 years researching what cup is the best option for their cafe drink program in the Sam's Club stores. They reviewed all options and all materials. They chose foam for their cold drink prograrm. McDonald's went away from foam years ago when they begun to use paper to wrap their burgers. Now, with their new sweet tea program, they buy more foam from us than they ever have before.

The tree huggers and environmentalists will never admit to this, but those who have conducted actual research will tell you this is true. Everyone (except Guyfawkes) wants to do something good for the environment, and I have no problem with that, but they need to do some research. Even guyfawkes who wants to do something bad for the environment should understand more about the battle between foam and paper cups.

We are a private company, and have been around for nearly 60 years. Our company is owned by some reasonably young guys, and they aren't going away any time soon. We are a multi-billion dollar company, and a leader in our industry.

And I am just trying to change the world one cup at a time.

I found that all very interesting.

But yes, now I will switch back to the more wasteful product: paper.

Fred Garvin
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Nuts, is spermicidal foam okay for the environment? I seldom have sex but have noticed it gives my thinning hair a lot of volume.

blobfan
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Nuts, is spermicidal foam okay for the environment? I seldom have sex but have noticed it gives my thinning hair a lot of volume.

More spermicide=fewer people and, as we've all been told, people are bad for the environment.

Guy didn't mention his most significant effort to increase his carbon footprint: the hot CO2 that spews from his mouth. I'm guessing it's more dangerous than the gas from cow farts.

GuyFawkes38
06-09-2008, 11:23 PM
More spermicide=fewer people and, as we've all been told, people are bad for the environment.

Guy didn't mention his most significant effort to increase his carbon footprint: the hot CO2 that spews from his mouth. I'm guessing it's more dangerous than the gas from cow farts.

Sorry I have ideals.

Lots of people say now a days, it's hard to make a difference. I disagree. I can harmfully impact the environment.

I hope I have inspired someone out there to do the same. It's really what this country is all about.

Kahns Krazy
06-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I bought the reusable bags from biggs. The girl made me, though I am now glad that I did. The bags hold a lot more than the stupid plastic bags, and they are much easier to carry. So what if I happen to be taking a couple plastic bags out of a landfill. It's more convenient for me dammit.

boozehound
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Kahns we found the same thing when I got some Kashi reusable grocery bags from work. They are much more convenient due to the increased capacity of the bags.

Tardy Turtle
06-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I have increased my carbon footprint by wearing bigger carbon shoes. They're pretty bitchin'.

Sometimes I trip over things, but it's SO worth it.