PDA

View Full Version : Temple to the MAC?

xu drew
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Just saw this in Andy Katz's Daily Word:

• The MAC meetings are going on in Chicago, and according to a coach in attendance, there was more talk about expanding the league to 14 teams with adding Temple (Atlantic 10 for all sports but football) and Western Kentucky (Sun Belt) as full members. Temple plays a MAC schedule in football and has added MAC nonconference games for basketball. This kind of decision would be made for football, but if they did ever join the league in hoops, it would make this league even tougher and potentially put it in position to earn multiple bids (which hasn't happened since 1999).

Muskie
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd be upset if Temple left. What's worse I have a feeling that the A-10 would probably try to replace Temple rather than drop another school as well. Sure seems like not having a Commish isn't helping either. I assume someone from the league office is on the phone to Temple?

xu95
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Temple is not going to the MAC for all sports. The only reason they added the basketball games that they did was because the MAC made it part of the deal for them to join for football.

xu95

Snipe
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Temple Who?

Good Riddance.

XU05and07
05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
we really need other schools to be looking to change conferences...not Temple...but iIF(and that's a big IF) they left for all sports, the A10 would be looking to maintain the format and be on the search for a team to join the league

GoMuskies
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I would miss Temple 0%.

Juice
05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
The MAC is a blackhole of mediocrity.

OX09
05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Not pertaining to Temple, but I wish Western Kentucky was in the A-10 instead of LaSalle, St. Bonnie, and maybe even Fordham.

XUglow
05-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Not pertaining to Temple, but I wish Western Kentucky was in the A-10 instead of LaSalle, St. Bonnie, and maybe even Fordham.

What?! ...and lose the Bronx TV market?!

GoMuskies
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
WKU unfotunately has football ambitions. That doesn't mesh well with A-10 membership.

muskienick
05-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Seemingly, so does UMass and (even though they've been pathetic for decades) so does Temple. UMass might be able to make it work now that BC has left the Big East. If the Football/Basketball Big East split materializes, UMass could make itself the next UConn and become the 9th member of the football version of the Big East. But they'd better hurry!

Temple was unable to make their Big East situation work for all the whining and excuses we have heard on the A-10 board for years from the fans of Philly teams about the competition with the many Pro teams there, the number of D-1 programs in the area, etc., etc., etc. ad nauseum.

I'd like to wean out the programs with football aspirations from the A-10 so another game of dominoes doesn't occur after we have reached some stability. Of course, it would also be great to have some of the lesser non-football programs go elsewhere as well. Once the Basketball-driven A-10 establishes its strong nucleus (strong = good facilities + big fan base + great media center), we could do some cherry-picking to complete the transformation from a slug-like stage to butterfly.

OX09
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
What?! ...and lose the Bronx TV market?!

hence the maybe

GoMuskies
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
hence the maybe

Someone turn on this man's sarcasm detector.

OX09
05-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Someone turn on this man's sarcasm detector.

haha, my mistake - but seriously, if the coaches are looking at opening the New York pipeline it would be beneficial to have the team swing through there every couple of years.