PDA

View Full Version : Plans for the Memorial Day weekend?

ATL Muskie
05-22-2008, 09:16 PM
What do y'all have going on this weekend? With gas prices the way they are, we may just stay home. But at dinner tonight the wife was whining that we have no plans when all the girls at her office are all doing shit this weekend. Just curious what everyone is doing. Might load up and drive down to Savannah, but I really don't feel like fighting the crowds and paying through the nose at the pump.

PM Thor
05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Let's see. Work Friday, and considering how nice it is supposed to be this weekend, I am going to try, TRY to do a century ride on Sunday (did 58 today and I cramped up like a mug). I will hit the taste on Saturday afternoon, and hope just to get a good nights sleep Saturday. Then back to work on Monday.

I lead such an exciting life. Ugh.

XUglow
05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a nice, long weekend. I am playing in the Wednesday Pro-Am at the Stanford-St. Jude's in Memphis. The pairings party is Tuesday at BB Kings on Beale St, so if I have this planned right, I will play golf Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, work a half-day on Tuesday, party with Miss Muskie on Tuesday night, and play with a PGA pro on Wednesday.

I hit it off well with the pros last year. Nearly all of them came up to talk with me. I mean, I started off a little slow, but I finally hit my grove with them. If you don't believe me, ask Miss Muskie. She showed up about the same time that they warmed up to me. What a coincidence.

Kahns Krazy
05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Have you actually done the math on what higher gas prices add to a vacation? Even if you're in an SUV, you should be getting close to 20 MPG on the highway. Savannah is 250 miles from the ATL, so you're looking at about 25 gallons round trip.

The difference since last year in gas is about $1.00 to $1.50 a gallon. It's about $37.50 more to make that trip than last year. The media will make it out that people can't afford to drive anymore, when in reality, the increase in food prices has much more of an impact on most people's discretionary income.

mr. zimpher
05-22-2008, 11:51 PM
No way can you discount the media hype. No way!!! What will they ever do if we don't pay attention to their trumped up stories??????????????? By the way, I'm playing 18 friday and Kenwood Country Club w/ my pops, Saturday at Blue Ash w/ some friends, Sunday at Triple Crown w/ the Pro who says he mentored Steve Flesch (obvious BS), and Monday at the TPC at Rivers Bend... Nice little weekend lined up, just trying to break 80...

ATL Muskie
05-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Have you actually done the math on what higher gas prices add to a vacation? Even if you're in an SUV, you should be getting close to 20 MPG on the highway. Savannah is 250 miles from the ATL, so you're looking at about 25 gallons round trip.

The difference since last year in gas is about $1.00 to $1.50 a gallon. It's about $37.50 more to make that trip than last year. The media will make it out that people can't afford to drive anymore, when in reality, the increase in food prices has much more of an impact on most people's discretionary income.

To me it matters not what the difference is between last year's price per gallon and this year's. It's over $4 a gallon here and that's no fun filling up the car, no matter what it was last year. (And we didn't go anywhere last year either). I realize the media makes a big stink about filling up the tank, and yes food prices are much more of a problem, but when you add all of that together it makes it hard to justify taking a weekend trip anywhere. That $37.50, unfortunately, has to go somewhere else since food and utilities have gone up. It's opportunity cost at its finest.

XUglow
05-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Miss Muskie just pointed out to me that my pro-am is the first week in June. Oops. So much for my 5-day weekend.

ATL Muskie
05-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Miss Muskie just pointed out to me that my pro-am is the first week in June. Oops. So much for my 5-day weekend.

I could find something to do with Miss Muskie over a long weekend. Trust me. And we wouldn't spend any money on gas.

bourbonman
05-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Weekend at the in-laws. Every Memorial Day Weekend the family gathers in Tennessee for a couple rounds of golf and some serious eating and drinking. My wife and father-in-law are awesome cooks/chefs. I simply must supply the tequila, bourbon and wine. (I believe that's the only reason I was let into the family.)

Have a great weekend gang, and take a moment to remember those who served us well. I also take the family through a military cemetery for a brief remembrance.

ATL Muskie
05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Have a great weekend gang, and take a moment to remember those who served us well. I also take the family through a military cemetery for a brief remembrance.

Absolutely. I'm giving exams this week in my history classes and my bonus question has to do with Memorial Day. Any little thing I can do to make kids remember why we have this long weekend, I do it. Rep points to the bourbonman for pointing out what I failed to do. This thread may now be hijacked from vacation or gas prices discussion b/c all of that crap means nothing.

bourbonman
05-23-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm giving exams this week in my history classes and my bonus question has to do with Memorial Day.
Don't leave us hanging, what's the question? :confused:

gladdenguy
05-23-2008, 07:38 AM

The title of this thread talks about everyone's plans for the memorial day weekend.
Obviously you have no plans for the weekend.
That however does not surprise me.

As for me, I'll cut the grass, looking for a new car tonight with the wife, wedding Saturday, and Taste of Cincinnati on Sunday followed by a nice grill-out Monday.
Be safe everybody.

ATL Muskie
05-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Don't leave us hanging, what's the question? :confused:

It has to do with what war Memorial Day was originally meant to celebrate. (Civil War)

Most kids get Armistice Day/Veterans Day confused with Memorial Day, especially the World History kids.

BTW, when we do Absolutism/French Revolution stuff I always put a question about D'Artagnan and the musketeers as a bonus question. On one of my lectures I have a few PowerPoint slides of the statue outside of Cintas and I talk about who is the mascot for my alma mater. They all remember by the time they take the exam. Gotta educate them on the Muskies any way possible.

xu95
05-23-2008, 07:57 AM
What do y'all have going on this weekend? With gas prices the way they are, we may just stay home. But at dinner tonight the wife was whining that we have no plans when all the girls at her office are all doing shit this weekend. Just curious what everyone is doing. Might load up and drive down to Savannah, but I really don't feel like fighting the crowds and paying through the nose at the pump.

Indy, Indy, Indy, and Indy. THis weekend is all about the 500. I look forward to this weekend all year.

xu95

bourbonman
05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
BTW, when we do Absolutism/French Revolution stuff I always put a question about D'Artagnan and the musketeers as a bonus question. On one of my lectures I have a few PowerPoint slides of the statue outside of Cintas and I talk about who is the mascot for my alma mater. They all remember by the time they take the exam. Gotta educate them on the Muskies any way possible.

At my company you would be known as a true Brand Champion. Way to go! :)

XU05and07
05-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Taste of Cincinnati...Cyclones game (only winning team in town at this time of the year)...Relaxing and catching up on some sleep

Jumpy
05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Hopefully scoring some last minute Memorial tickets. Should find out today if my brother was able to snag some for tomorrow and/or Sunday from his firm. If not, it will be golf of my own anywhere that has an open tee time.

Raoul Duke
05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Brookville Lake. There is actually a golf course there that's not half bad. It's not in the best shape in the world, but a large number of the holes are situated on or near the lake, and it's not crowded.

Jumpy
05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Brookville Lake. There is actually a golf course there that's not half bad. It's not in the best shape in the world, but a large number of the holes are situated on or near the lake, and it's not crowded.

Interesting. Never realized they had a course on the lake. Of course, I haven't been out there in years. a bit of a haul for me, but I will keep it in mind if the pickings are slim. Thanks.

XUglow
05-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I could find something to do with Miss Muskie over a long weekend. Trust me. And we wouldn't spend any money on gas.

She gets those offers a lot. Go figure.

She does want to do something gas free this weekend. Dad finally cut off her gasoline credit card. What was he thinking? She has only been out of law school for 12 years. Shouldn't he wait and let her get her practice established? LOL. Anyway, she just noticed that it is about $90 to fill up her Escalade. I bet she stops doing that twice a week pronto.

FYI. I think the pool at the country club opens this weekend. I will probably have new Miss Muskie bikini pictures by Tuesday.

American X
05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Snipe hunting.

ballyhoohoo
05-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Buck Point isnt a bad course, just nto a great one, very challenging, great views of the lake!

ballyhoohoo
05-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Raoul Duke
05-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Buck Point isnt a bad course, just nto a great one, very challenging, great views of the lake!

Buck Point - that's the name of it. I always forget. If I remember right, the rates are real cheap. I'll confirm when I get back.

I agree with your assessment. It's nice how many holes they manage to place on or near the lake. And three or four of them follow a tributary/creek leading into the lake. I think it's 14,15,16, and those are probably the most challenging holes.

spongebob
05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Watching the boy play baseball Friday and Saturday. Then off to St. Louis Sunday to watch a buddy of mine's son play in the D2 World Series.

For those going to Brookville, try Brook Hill G.C. Pretty nice track, and relatively cheap.

ballyhoohoo
05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Brookhill is nice, anyone wanting a marathon round, North Branch in New Point, IN has 27 holes, decently priced, ok course. But if you have the pull the best place to play is Hillcrest CC in Batesville, I know the former pro who used to let me play for $35 (18 and cart) amazing course, but very short.

MADXSTER
05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
What am I going to do this weekend.....hmmmmmm.....I think I'm going to whack my wiennie.....Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Yeah.

Cheesehead
05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
No games or practices. So, that means: cutting the grass, power washing & staining the deck, grilling & beer, planting bushes, weeding, geting frisky w/ the wife, mulching, grilling & more beer, getting frisky w/ the wife, cleaning out the grage, grilling & more beer, getting frisky w/ the wife... anyone see a pattern here?

MADXSTER
05-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Cheese, is it your wife?

Cheesehead
05-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, something like that. I'm just enjoying not running around and getting some alone time.

nuts4xu
05-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I plan to head over to Cheese's house and eat his food, drink his beer, and getting frisky with his wife. Sounds like a good time.

GuyFawkes38
05-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I plan on having lots of casual sex.

MADXSTER
05-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I plan to head over to Cheese's house and eat his food, drink his beer, and getting frisky with his wife. Sounds like a good time.

I did that last year. I had a great time.

nuts4xu
05-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I plan on having lots of casual sex.

It might be more impressive if you were having lots of casual sex with an actual live woman or two.

GuyFawkes38
05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
It might be more impressive if you were having lots of casual sex with an actual live woman or two.

Come on now. Don't be jealous of my sought after genes.

MADXSTER
05-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Ahh, but dead hookers always count.

Jumpy
05-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Good news: I did get Memorial tickets. Bad news: it's for NEXT weekend and I may not be able to go. Damn, it's been like, 5 years now, and I still forget that the tourney is the weekend after Memorial Day now.

Oh well, I did get out and play at a cow pasture on the east side called Eagle's Nest. That place, albeit cheap, was a pure dump. It looked like it was a nice track at one point with very difficult, multi-level greens, but now it's just sad. All the bunkers were overgrown with weeds and most had standing water/small lakes in them and we were lucky if a tee box had a patch of grass big enough to tee the ball on.

How was everyone else's weekend? golf, as bad as the course was, was definitely the highlight of mine. Had a 90th birthday party for the fiencee's grandmother and she fell and broke her hip walking up the steps to the party. The rest of the weekend was dominated by that and yardwork. I'm happy to say, though, that she is ok and resting comfortably after having a plate and a pin put in.

Kahns Krazy
05-27-2008, 10:46 AM
My friday afternoon 9 holes got rained out, but I managed to squeeze 27 holes worth of strokes into 18 holes Saturday morning at Fox Run, which isn't a bad course. We were on the paths all day, which is probably how they keep it in as good shape as they do.

Drank more than my share at a grillout/party at the lake Saturday but fortunately put the brakes on early and got out Sunday for a little hiking to build up an appetite for Taste. Taste was pretty good. The weather Sunday afternoon was perfect, which made for a big crowd. It's difficult to move around down there. I think I like it better on 5th street, but there are a couple of spots that they need to move some crap around so the whole thing doesn't narrow to 10 ft (In front of Tiffany's and the Federal Building). I was really pleased with the varieties of beers served at Taste. I didn't see Barrelhouse, but Mt. Carmel was there, as well as Christian Morlein, Great Lakes and several other options in addition to the standard domestics. Can anyone explain why Indigo's pizza was all decked out in a Pirate theme?

Monday got out to Woodland Mound for a round of disc golf before the weather. All in all a good weekend. I think every weekend should have 3 days in it.

Smails
05-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Spent my weekend in Key West at a buddies wedding. It was the first time the wife and I vacationed together sans the children in over 5 years. It was glorious...

Check that: There was a very bad 4 hour stretch for me that was basically made up of vomiting off the side of a deep sea charter for 2 hours. The other 2 hours I spent in the cabin trying to lay down while my idiot friends harassed me. That was my first time being truly seasick and let me tell you it sucked. However, within 45 minutes of stepping on land I had a Margarita in hand and went back to work.

The best part of the weekend, aside from my wife re-discovering her pre childern sex appetite was Friday night on Duval street...what a blast. That was my first trip to Key West and I think I'll go back again, but damn that place is pricey. We received the wedding discount at the resort which brought the price down to a 'reasonable' $385/night.

Cheesehead
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
That is some expensive sex! Mine was way cheaper than that.