PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Dayton!

pickledpigsfeet
05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
This from a list posted on MSN.com

The 10 Worst Places to Raise a Family (from best to worst)

Springfield, Missouri
Dayton, Ohio
Corpus Christi, Texas
Flint, Michigan (Country's highest violent-crime rate)
Columbia, South Carolina
Waco, Texas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Beaumont, Texas (Long-standing air-quality challenges)
Clarksville, Tennessee (Low educational spending: $6,729 per student)

#9 on the worst places to raise a family. Cincinnati on the other hand was the 90th best place to raise a family.

boozehound
05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
At least they finally were in the top 10 in something.

AdamtheFlyer
05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I hope a lot of people look at that list. Take the snot nosed bastards you probably aren't raising properly to Billings, Montana. I spend a good amount of time in Cincy, and it's not a great place either. Unless you're counting West Chester and that area, which isn't Cincy at all.

When the lady and I are settled and ready to have kids, we're heading to Indy. That town knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

GuyFawkes38
05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
How on earth is Dayton number 9 and Flint, Mi number 7.

Flint is an oasis compared to Dayton.

Adamtheflyer, I always hear the same thing: Indianpolis is on the rise and is a great place to raise a family compared to cincy.

And then I visit friends there or attend Final Fours. THE CITY IS VASTLY MORE BORING THAN CINCY. I yawn a lot when I'm in Indy. And according to a friend, the much touted economic growth of the city in the past 10 years lies mostly in the expansion of IUPUI, not the private sector (cheating).

GuyFawkes38
05-21-2008, 07:14 AM
When it comes down to it, I think the words "......is a great place to raise a family" really translates to ".....is a place which is mind numbingly boring".

Do people ever say New York City, Austin, San Francisco, Las Vegas, etc, are great places to raise a family. That's why.

pickledpigsfeet
05-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Here's a link to the article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24713234/

boozehound
05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
When it comes down to it, I think the words "......is a great place to raise a family" really translates to ".....is a place which is mind numbingly boring".

Do people ever say New York City, Austin, San Francisco, Las Vegas, etc, are great places to raise a family. That's why.

I tend to agree with that. "Great place to raise a family" means decent schools, low crime rates, and boring. It typically applies to cities with large suburbs.

xudeltasig
05-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Actually, New York, NY is the 23rd best city (and San Fran came in at 67) to raise a family according to this list. Being a good place to raise a family doesn't make it boring. How many kids have you ever met that handle boring well? I'd guess about zero since most kids need to be doing something all the time. I would guess that a good place to raise a family would have many "kid-friendly" activities (that aren't necessarily "boring" for grown-ups). Think zoo, amusement parks, etc...

GuyFawkes38
05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Actually, New York, NY is the 23rd best city (and San Fran came in at 67) to raise a family according to this list. Being a good place to raise a family doesn't make it boring. How many kids have you ever met that handle boring well? I'd guess about zero since most kids need to be doing something all the time. I would guess that a good place to raise a family would have many "kid-friendly" activities (that aren't necessarily "boring" for grown-ups). Think zoo, amusement parks, etc...

I completely agree with that. But generally, a lot of people defend their boring cities by saying it's great to raise a family in.

Personally, I believe that if you do have some wealth, there wouldn't be a better place to raise your kids than NYC, San Francisco, London etc...

Hell, even if you don't have cash, growing up in those cities above would be great.

XUglow
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I completely agree with that. But generally, a lot of people defend their boring cities by saying it's great to raise a family in.

Personally, I believe that if you do have some wealth, there wouldn't be a better place to raise your kids than NYC, San Francisco, London etc...

Hell, even if you don't have cash, growing up in those cities above would be great.

I raised my kids in San Francisco, and it was very good for them. They all live in the south now. They love SF and think of it as home, but the truth is that it is just not affordable for them, so living there is just not an option.

GuyFawkes38
05-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I raised my kids in San Francisco, and it was very good for them. They all live in the south now. They love SF and think of it as home, but the truth is that it is just not affordable for them, so living there is just not an option.

Yeah, very true.

I guess if your extremely, extremely wealthy, raising a family in San Francisco would be nice. But if not, things like living in a tiny apartment would be annoying.

And it is very true that many people move from the west and east coasts for better housing, which is a huge component of quality of life.