PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Hale (Verbal OTHER)

Muskie
05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Position: PF
High School: New Albany High School
Home Town: New Albany, IN
Number: TBD
Height: 6'8
Weight: 195

Offers:

Interested Schools:
Xavier, Indiana, Iowa, Louisville, Purdue

xuphan
06-26-2008, 02:06 PM
XU and Purdue are at the top of the list for Hale

ballyhoohoo
06-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I saw him play over Christmas break in the Hall of Fame Classic in New Castle Indiana, He made Alex Grimsley (6'7 Kent State signee) look like a fool. He would be a solid get

golfitup
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
I can't tell you how awesome it would be to have a kid from New Albany play for X since I'm from there and all. I guess it'll be my civic duty for this site and the blog to go see this kid play at least once next season. I'd probably go watch him dominate where I went to high school.

Purdue has a minor following down here cuz a few kids do attend the school. (New Albany is just north of Louisville. Similar to Newport) But it's all about IU, UK or Louisville. Usually, you like one of those three teams, or you don't like anyone.

I hope his grades are okay. Can't say New Albany is the best public school, although it's not terrible or anything.

xuphan
07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Video of Hale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCrTi6XxCI

xufan02
10-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Purdue just used the last scholarship they had for the 2010 class yesterday. Looks like Xavier could be his leader now. This kid is a more athletic Justin Doellman.

ballyhoohoo
10-07-2008, 09:31 AM
I really want this kid, this year alone he played and his own as a sophmore against some of the best seniors in Indiana.

golfitup
10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
As said above, I really want him to come to X because I am from New Albany as well.

"A 6'8" Power Forward from New Albany Indiana......Donniiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallleeeee!"

Ah, that would be sweeeeeeet....

American X
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
6'8" 195? New Albany? Donnie, you're out of your element:

http://blogfreespringfield.com/wp-content/uploads/image/donny_1.jpg

BBC 08
04-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Bump. Heard from someone last night that knew Donnie said that he was going to come to X. Didn't really believe him but after looking at rivals this morning I have to think it might be true. Main reason it might be true is because he plays for Spiece Indy which is the team Steele has connections with. Thoughs?

SixFig
04-19-2009, 11:46 AM
would be a decent pickup...a step down from Latham and Spoon. However, according to Rivals, Whitford was his main recruiter so I wouldn't draw any conclusions.

kyxu
04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
would be a decent pickup...a step down from Latham and Spoon. However, according to Rivals, Whitford was his main recruiter so I wouldn't draw any conclusions.

He's a different type of player, but I wouldn't call him a step down. Would be a welcomed addition if true.

xufan02
04-19-2009, 12:19 PM
He's a different type of player, but I wouldn't call him a step down. Would be a welcomed addition if true.

This is a very accurate post. Both Latham and Weatherspoon are ultra athletic players and have a lot of upside, but Hale already has a better all round game. He is in the Justin Doellman mold. He is not going to make above the rim plays, but he is fundamental and has a great feel for the game. He can handle it, shoot with range, and is a soild player.

If this is true, it would be a great start to the 2010 class.

SixFig
04-19-2009, 12:30 PM
The Justin Doellman mode wass great for back then...now we need to focus on "next level" players. What was the last team to win the championship with an unathletic power forward.

Maybe I just don't like white players...I dunno

xufan02
04-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Hale is more athletic than JD, but he is not close Weatherspoon and Latham. Honestly, we need more than just athletes to win. Look at UD, they have all althetes and very few skilled players. How is that working out for them?

X Factor
04-19-2009, 12:45 PM
The Justin Doellman mode wass great for back then...now we need to focus on "next level" players. What was the last team to win the championship with an unathletic power forward.

Let's see, how do I put this? You just made one of the most idiotic statements ever on Xavierhoops.com. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Hale is right outside Rivals Top 100 for 2010. He is ranked #104. Doellman wasn't in Rivals Top 150, but he developed into a really good player. Hale is a very skilled player.

SixFig
04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Let's see, how do I put this? You just made one of the most idiotic statements ever on Xavierhoops.com. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Hale is right outside Rivals Top 100 for 2010. He is ranked #104. Doellman wasn't in Rivals Top 150, but he developed into a really good player. Hale is a very skilled player.

Thanks!

National championships aren't built on top 100 players, but rather top 50.

With Bino in the fold I think we have a good shot at getting Latham back.

xufan02
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Another guy who Xavier would love to get who has a similiar game to Donnie Hale is Alex Guana. I think Alex has the better frame and touch in the long run.

AviatorX
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks!

National championships aren't built on top 100 players, but rather top 50.

With Bino in the fold I think we have a good shot at getting Latham back.

Cmon, you're actually saying you wouldn't take Doellman (or anyone similar to him) for another 4 years? UNC just won and Tyler Hansbrough isn't exactly Tyrus Thomas or D Brown athletic.

XU99deuce
04-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I'll take Donnie Hale, Gauna, or Latham. Championship teams have top 50 talent most of the time, but they also have supporting players. But let's not kid ourselves here...we have like 3-4 players all time that were rated in the top 50. Don't think that Mack is all of a sudden going to bring in John Henson type players from all across the country. We are built on the improvement of under the radar guys for the most part, and I don't see that changing.

sirthought
04-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Ummm... this sounds like you have no clue.

We were pretty damn good with Doellman and, barring a few bad coaching moves, he could have been part of Xavier's most successful team in tournament history.

Doellman's game changed drastically from year one to four but he was always a serious contributor. I'd take that again and again. Thinking of our more athletic players, Keith Jackson is the first that comes to mind, and even DBrown and McLean have been slower to develop, I'll take the more well-rounded player like Doellman when given the opportunity.

Of course, I want all types of players.

Muskie
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
If we don't take Hale, I suspect we will offer 2011 recruit Justin Gant out of Terre Haute.

bobbiemcgee
05-11-2009, 10:24 AM
top 50's usually one and done.

PMI
05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Ummm... this sounds like you have no clue.

We were pretty damn good with Doellman and, barring a few bad coaching moves, he could have been part of Xavier's most successful team in tournament history.

Doellman's game changed drastically from year one to four but he was always a serious contributor. I'd take that again and again. Thinking of our more athletic players, Keith Jackson is the first that comes to mind, and even DBrown and McLean have been slower to develop, I'll take the more well-rounded player like Doellman when given the opportunity.

Of course, I want all types of players.

I would also take another Doellmanator on any team in a heartbeat. Plus, as xufan02 (who seems to be one of the most knowledgeable posters here when it comes to recruiting) said, he's like a more athletic Doellman. Who in their right mind wouldn't want that? I'll also note that while you mentioned that Doellman was a coaching move or two away from possibly being on the most successful tourney team in XU history, he already was a pretty key part of what is tied for our best tourney team ever as a freshman. He also stepped up in the middle of his senior year and went out like a true baller, much like Duncan did last year and BJ did this year. Give me the Doellmanator any day of the week.

MADXSTER
05-11-2009, 11:52 AM
top 50's usually one and done.

Top ten are one and dones. 50 frosh don't go to the NBA but I see your point.

sirthought
05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I'll also note that while you mentioned that Doellman was a coaching move or two away from possibly being on the most successful tourney team in XU history, he already was a pretty key part of what is tied for our best tourney team ever as a freshman.

You are correct.

I just meant that had Miller called for a foul, as he should have, in the last three seconds, that team could have beaten #1 seed OSU, which could arguably have been our biggest tournament accomplishment.

In any case... Donnie Hale if you are reading this... we'd love for you to bring your game to Cincinnati, become a student at Xavier... and help the team get to a final four. We've been damn close and somebody like you could help us break through.

PMI
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Agreed. The more I look back the more I think that 07 team may have been our best team and could have seriously made it to the Final Four. The non-foul call by Miller as well as the non-intentional call by the refs on Oden killed us but had we pulled off that upset the sky was really the limit. Obviously the past two years we had better records and were more consistent overall (and I think Miller's personal development had a lot to do with that), but as far as a roster goes I think that was our best.

More Cowbell
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.newsandtribune.com/localsports/local_story_138143218.html?keyword=topstory

ford
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
front page of X's Rivals page says Hale is ready to announce. think he's gone cold on XU due to Latham re-committing or could this be the start of the snowball effect we've been hoping for?

ford
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
just realized I haven't posted in so long I forgot to change my avatar and sig

BlueX
06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/sports/college/local_goldandblack_westlafayette_goldandblackcom_p urdue_commit_stars_200906120942

(Hale said afterward he wants to end his recruiting process as soon as possible and decide between Purdue, which has an offer on the table, and Xavier, which does not.)

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
front page of X's Rivals page says Hale is ready to announce. think he's gone cold on XU due to Latham re-committing or could this be the start of the snowball effect we've been hoping for?

I think it was more of X went cold on him while Miller was here. I think Mack has always been a proponent for Donnie and with Steele in the mix we are probably still a player for Donnie’s services. Like I have said before I saw him play as a sophomore and he made Ales Grimsley who is now at Kent State look silly when Alex was a senior and had Donnie by and inch and 25 pounds.

Indiana kids can flat out play basketball, and more importantly they typically play with a sense of team and a high basketball IQ. I use Stanley and Justin as my examples.

Xman95
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I sue Stanley and Justin as my examples.

Why would you want to sue those guys? What have they ever done to you? These are the things that clog up our court system.

Muskie
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I think it was more of X went cold on him while Miller was here. I think Mack has always been a proponent for Donnie and with Steele in the mix we are probably still a player for Donnie’s services. Like I have said before I saw him play as a sophomore and he made Ales Grimsley who is now at Kent State look silly when Alex was a senior and had Donnie by and inch and 25 pounds.

Indiana kids can flat out play basketball, and more importantly they typically play with a sense of team and a high basketball IQ. I use Stanley and Justin as my examples.

I'll see your Justin Cage and Stanley Burrell and raise you with a Dedrick Finn :eek:

PMI
06-12-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm sure Donnie is the real deal, but that's a pretty broad statement. Ask Miller if he thought Finn played with a sense of team and high basketball IQ for him. I know there's a lot of good talent in Indy, just saying. Personally, if we're going to single out states, I'm most excited about Bino's MD ties in our recruiting future. That's not to say I wouldn't be psyched if we landed Hale.

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
point taken on Finn, but I grew up in a basketball crazy Indiana town, my drivers ed teacher played on the Milan Miricle team. So I am biased, and I guess I always forget Evansville is even in the state.

That being said other states have talent, and Indiana kids may not always be stars, but they will make good role/bench players.

PMI
06-12-2009, 01:31 PM
point taken on Finn, but I grew up in a basketball crazy Indiana town, my drivers ed teacher played on the Milan Miricle team. So I am biased, and I guess I always forget Evansville is even in the state.

That being said other states have talent, and Indiana kids may not always be stars, but they will make good role/bench players.

Fair enough. I'm biased too. I think Maryland has the best high school basketball talent in the country.

A10fan
06-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on Hale.

http://boilerstation.jconline.com/article/20090612/SPORTS02010201/906120317/1122/boiler

Muskie
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM

http://boilerstation.jconline.com/article/20090612/SPORTS02010201/906120317/1122/boiler

I"ve heard that Mack and company may offer Hale a scholarship if he performs well at an upcoming camp. We'll know then how bad he wants to play at Purdue. (it's not like he's going to tell Boilerstation that he doesn't want to play for Purdue).

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 02:03 PM

While it sounds like he is a Purdue lean, it sounds more like standard "I do not want to upset anyone recruit talk" If he really wanted to be a Boilermaker and was willing to pay his own way one would think he would have verbaled by now.

Just my opinion, probably not worth much.

MuskieCinci
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I would be very surprised if the staff didn't offer Donnie Hale when he comes for the camp. Does the staff have some 5 star recruits in the fold that no one has heard about? They backed off Noel Johnson and might not offer Donnie Hale, both of whom are big time talents, so who are they holding these scholarship offers for? The recruiting in 2010 and 2011 must be big time if they are being so selective.

golfitup
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
New Albany represent! Seriously, this town is white trash. It also has the second highest amount of government funded public housing in the state only trailing Indianapolis. And for a town of about 40,000 people that is quite the accomplish! I know I'm proud.

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
New Albany represent! Seriously, this town is white trash. It also has the second highest amount of government funded public housing in the state only trailing Indianapolis. And for a town of about 40,000 people that is quite the accomplish! I know I'm proud.

Is it in Floyd county?

danaandvictory
06-12-2009, 03:51 PM
While it sounds like he is a Purdue lean, it sounds more like standard "I do not want to upset anyone recruit talk" If he really wanted to be a Boilermaker and was willing to pay his own way one would think he would have verbaled by now.

I agree. He's got an offer from Purdue, he doesn't have an offer from Xavier, he's by no means guaranteed to get an offer from Xavier, so if Purdue is really his first choice why not just commit?

I suspect the kid is coming to X if and when he gets an offer.

golfitup
06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Is it in Floyd county?

Why yes it is.

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Why yes it is.

I was not sure, I have a fraternity brother from the Knob

xufan02
06-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Looks like Donnie might be going to Purdue now. He had a conditional offer based on available scholarships, well now one is open. I would imagine he is a Boilermaker before Xavier's elite camp next week.

http://boilerstation.jconline.com/article/20090612/NEWS0901/90612022

AviatorX
06-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Looks like Donnie might be going to Purdue now. He had a conditional offer based on available scholarships, well now one is open. I would imagine he is a Boilermaker before Xavier's elite camp next week.

http://boilerstation.jconline.com/article/20090612/NEWS0901/90612022

I think he'll hold off until after the camp, just a gut feeling. Not saying we'll land him, but I don't think it's all going to go down so quick.

ballyhoohoo
06-13-2009, 07:43 PM
I agree, Donnie had an offer on the table back when no one had verbaled to Purdue for 2010, if he wanted to go to Purdue he woudl have verbaled by now.

I know he is from Indiana, but New Albany is basically part of Lousiville, if he grew up a B10 fan it was probably IU, but PU. Chances are he grew up a Lousiville or Uk fan, hell he is close enough to Cincy he may have been following X for a little while. I guess we will see by next weekend, if and when he gets an offer from Mack.

BlueX
06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
He's at OK State this weekend.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090613/SPORTS0203/906130450/1004/SPORTS/Hale+is+ready+to+get+recruiting+done

Cincy Muskie
06-14-2009, 09:45 AM
I would love to have a class of Latham, J-Mart, Hale, and Canty. Hale's recruitment will only pick up once the July period hits.

AviatorX
06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I would love to have a class of Latham, J-Mart, Hale, and Canty. Hale's recruitment will only pick up once the July period hits.

I think I'd take Spoon over Hale or Canty.

xu15
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Agreed.

Not to say I don't want Hale at X. I don't know much about Canty.

AviatorX
06-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Agreed.

Not to say I don't want Hale at X. I don't know much about Canty.

Also, I'd almost say that I would prefer Canty over Hale. Fact is, if any of these guys are ready to commit now, they will be Muskies.

LutherRackleyRulez
06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Per HoosierHillsHoops.com

New Albany’s Donnie Hale has list of three

Purdue and Xavier have topped Donnie Hale’s list of potential college choices for a long while.

But now the New Albany star has a new school showing interest — Oklahoma State.

Hale traveled last weekend to the Cowboys’ Stillwater, Okla., campus for an unofficial visit.

“They showed me the facility and it’s amazing,” Hale said. “I just felt really comfortable with the way coach (Travis) Ford was talking. He seemed really interested, and I felt comfortable around their coaches and players. The Big 12 Conference is definitely big-time basketball.”

The 6-foot-8 forward also will visit Xavier’s “elite camp” on Sunday, where he expects to speak with new Musketeer coach Chris Mack. And Purdue, which has tendered Hale a scholarship offer, will host the entire New Albany squad in Mackey Arena at a team camp later this month.

“I really don’t have a favorite,” he added. “It’s pretty much those three right now.”

When AAU resumes in July, Hale will travel with his Spiece Indy Heat team to events in Louisville, Fort Wayne and Kansas City, among others, he said.

http://www.hoosierhillshoops.com/2009/06/16/new-albanys-donnie-hale-has-list-of-three/

Juice
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
That damn T. Boone Pickens and all that money he gave to OSU to upgrade their facilities....

kyxu
06-17-2009, 10:53 AM
It's pretty amazing how long Xavier has remained in the race considering they have yet to offer Hale a scholarship.

I mean, most kids from Indiana who have a scholarship offer from a Big Ten school and no offer from an Atlantic 10 school aren't going to think twice.

Cincy Muskie
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I agree ky. I would like to think if he gets an offer on Sunday we will be reading about our next commit for 2010 on Monday morning.

xufan02
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Here is a little video of Donnie Hale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3LqzsazDU0

Can you say Justin Doellman part II?

therick44
06-17-2009, 10:25 PM

I'd definitely take Canty. Not quite as athletic as Weatherspoon, but a lot more polished on offense.

AviatorX
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I'd definitely take Canty. Not quite as athletic as Weatherspoon, but a lot more polished on offense.

Whether that's true or not (I've never seen Canty play), one thing I think is obvious is that regaining Spoon is more of a principle matter more than anything. Don't get me wrong, the kid has ENDLESS potential and is a top 150 player, but signing him would set things right back where they were and show that XU is still a major player in Ohio.

X Factor
06-17-2009, 11:34 PM
The thing I love about Spoon is his insane athletic ability. You could probably count on one hand the number of guys in the class of 2010 that can match or out-do him in terms of athleticism.

Plus, from what I've read so far this summer about him, he is improving his outside shot and ball handling.

I think Xavier has a great track record of developing players throughout their careers and if Spoon develops to reach his potential, he could be scary good.

I would love to get Spoon back in the fold.

Should be a very exciting summer recruiting wise!

therick44
06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
The thing I love about Spoon is his insane athletic ability. You could probably count on one hand the number of guys in the class of 2010 that can match or out-do him in terms of athleticism.

Plus, from what I've read so far this summer about him, he is improving his outside shot and ball handling.

I think Xavier has a great track record of developing players throughout their careers and if Spoon develops to reach his potential, he could be scary good.

I would love to get Spoon back in the fold.

Should be a very exciting summer recruiting wise!

You're right about that. Weatherspoon in my opinion would be a lot like a Mclean or someone like that. He will immediately be able to make an impact on defense, rebounding, and highlight reel dunks. However, it will be up to X and him to develop as a player and make him an offensive threat.

As for him getting better this summer... I've yet to see him attempt a jumpshot and his ballhandling role on that team is very minimal. He really plays like a PF and waits for tip-dunks and alley oops while the rest of his extremely talented All-Ohio Red team plays outside.

ChrisFarley
06-18-2009, 11:59 AM
If we don't take Hale, I suspect we will offer 2011 recruit Justin Gant out of Terre Haute.

What's the deal with Gant? Who is he, what's he about?

ChrisFarley
06-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Whether that's true or not (I've never seen Canty play), one thing I think is obvious is that regaining Spoon is more of a principle matter more than anything. Don't get me wrong, the kid has ENDLESS potential and is a top 150 player, but signing him would set things right back where they were and show that XU is still a major player in Ohio.

Sorry to sound off, but would'nt be surprised if the Weatherspoon fella goes to Oh State.
Big school, BCS, top class coming in for 2010. But that's just our opinion..

BBC 08
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry to sound off, but would'nt be surprised if the Weatherspoon fella goes to Oh State.

Wait, what?

AviatorX
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Wow, you sure are in the know. Multiple sources have pinpointed that its pretty much down to tO$U and X and you say you wouldn't be shocked if he chose one of those schools? Wow.

Also, I second what BBC said....our opinion?

Firehose
06-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Wow, you sure are in the know. Multiple sources have pinpointed that its pretty much down to tO$U and X and you say you wouldn't be shocked if he chose one of those schools? Wow.

Also, I second what BBC said....our opinion?

Hey, don't get jealous just because the voices are talking to him.

Cincy Muskie
06-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey, don't get jealous just because the voices are talking to him.

That is damn funny.

xufan02
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
If Xavier offers this weekend I have a very good feeling Donnie will be a Muskie before months end. If Xavier lands Donnie, we would be looking to fill another two spots with another big, combo forward, wing or guard:

Center prospects: Payne, Goff, and Black
Combo forwards: Weatherspoon or Donte Williams
Wings: Justin Martin, Jay Canty, or Jamail Jones
Shooters: Brian Spearman or Victor Oladipo

I would like a 2010 class of Latham, Hale, Weatherspoon, and Justin Martin.

AviatorX
06-18-2009, 08:59 PM
If Xavier offers this weekend I have a very good feeling Donnie will be a Muskie before months end. If Donnie verbals that will leave us with two scholarships left for a big wing player and another post player. If Xavier lands Donnie we would be looking to fill another two spots with another big or combo forward and a wing or guard:

Center prospects: Payne, Goff, and Black
Combo forwards: Weatherspoon or Donte Williams
Wings: Justin Martin, Jay Canty, or Jamail Jones
Shooters: Brian Spearman or Victor Oladipo

I would like a 2010 class of Latham, Hale, Weatherspoon, and Justin Martin.

Agree completely but IMO Hale and Canty are pretty interchangeable, if XU offers Donnie which I'm guessing they will, it will come down to who wants to verbal first. Also, keep in mind the possibility of Crawford going to the league (I'll believe it when I see it) or Taylor giving his scholarship up if another guy wants to jump on board.

MuskieCinci
06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of oversigning by one for this class. It seems like we are in really good with a lot of highly touted players. If we fill 4 scholarships but someone like Payne still wants to committ there is no way the staff refuses him. Highly unlikely but for some reason I am starting to feel positive about Xavier's chances with these 2010 kids. I think our new staff is doing a very good job with the recruiting and has not skipped a beat throughout this coaching change.

therick44
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Agree completely but IMO Hale and Canty are pretty interchangeable, if XU offers Donnie which I'm guessing they will, it will come down to who wants to verbal first. Also, keep in mind the possibility of Crawford going to the league (I'll believe it when I see it) or Taylor giving his scholarship up if another guy wants to jump on board.

Hale and Canty really play different styles. That being said, I'd much rather have Canty. Not saying I'd be upset with Hale... He's good as well, but Canty is already talented and still has a high ceiling.

AviatorX
06-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Hale and Canty really play different styles. That being said, I'd much rather have Canty. Not saying I'd be upset with Hale... He's good as well, but Canty is already talented and still has a high ceiling.

Thus the fact that it could go either way, and no one would be too too upset....right?

Cincy Muskie
06-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I think any of the guys the staff has been mentioned with (Hale, Canty, Weatherspoon, ect) would be solid additions to Xavier. Apparently new XU targets are emerging at the NBA players camp as well. Lots of lines in the water, we just need to land some. I still feel like Hale could be the first to join Latham in the '10 class if he is offered this weekend.

suspectx
06-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Why do you guys think Hale or Canty is an either or? Canty is a SG/SF and Hale is a PF. There are 3 scholarships still available. I think you will see another PF to go with Latham. A Combo Forward 3/4, and an athletic wing SG/SF.

If Hale is offered this week, I could very easily see a class consisting of Latham, Hale, Canty, and a combo like Weatherspoon.

ballyhoohoo
06-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I agree, Hale and Canty are not interchangable, not the same player, not the same position. I look for Hale to get an offer by Sunday and give his verbal. Then hopefully he gains a star by his ranking. Hopefully we can see 'Spoon and Canty/Martin verbal by the end of the summer.

xu15
06-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree, Hale and Canty are not interchangable, not the same player, not the same position. I look for Hale to get an offer by Sunday and give his verbal. Then hopefully he gains a star by his ranking. Hopefully we can see 'Spoon and Canty/Martin verbal by the end of the summer.

I heard Martin was a long shot....anyone know if that's still the case?
Heard we had a decent shot at the rest of these guys though...

AviatorX
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Why do you guys think Hale or Canty is an either or? Canty is a SG/SF and Hale is a PF. There are 3 scholarships still available. I think you will see another PF to go with Latham. A Combo Forward 3/4, and an athletic wing SG/SF.

If Hale is offered this week, I could very easily see a class consisting of Latham, Hale, Canty, and a combo like Weatherspoon.

I think both Hale and Spoon have potential to be 3/4 guys, both are really athletic obviously and still developing a jumper and more efficient offensive game, from what I've read.

I'd say Canty is mostly a 3, I mean he's listed as a SF on Rivals. Still, there games are somewhat different.

I'm not saying their games are interchangeable, but I was saying that if we got Martin, (unlikely or not) that was how the situation was presented, that there would theoretically only be 1 scholarship left between Hale and Canty.

I'd be more than happy with any of these guys.

Xman95
06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Anybody else concerned with the fact that none of the players considered most likely to commit are centers? Unless we want Frease playing 40 minutes, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who could back him up? Sure, we could always have someone like Latham as the back-up, but I'm not so sure I want a 6'8" frosh as my center if something happens to Frease (foul trouble, injury, etc.).

ballyhoohoo
06-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Anybody else concerned with the fact that none of the players considered most likely to commit are centers? Unless we want Frease playing 40 minutes, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who could back him up? Sure, we could always have someone like Latham as the back-up, but I'm not so sure I want a 6'8" frosh as my center if something happens to Frease (foul trouble, injury, etc.).

Mack has a top scret plan, we clone Brad and run a "5Red" offense which showcases 5 Brad Redfords. Who needs a center

kyxu
06-19-2009, 08:56 AM

It's a legit concern, but I've read that Latham can play center as well.

therick44
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I think both Hale and Spoon have potential to be 3/4 guys, both are really athletic obviously and still developing a jumper and more efficient offensive game, from what I've read.

I'd say Canty is mostly a 3, I mean he's listed as a SF on Rivals. Still, there games are somewhat different.

I'm not saying their games are interchangeable, but I was saying that if we got Martin, (unlikely or not) that was how the situation was presented, that there would theoretically only be 1 scholarship left between Hale and Canty.

I'd be more than happy with any of these guys.

Canty is really more of a bigger guard... Maybe small forward. However Hale is a post player, but he has a little more skill in his face to the basket game than his back to the basket game. I don't know that I'd say Hale is really athletic. I'd say he has sneaky athleticism, but he's not going to be slashing to the basket. Canty is good at getting to the rim and taking people off of the dribble.

therick44
06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
It's a legit concern, but I've read that Latham can play center as well.

I guess he could if he bulked up big time, which he does have the frame for... still I don't really want to rely on him at Center.

ballyhoohoo
06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Rico is our son, he uses another forum...my husband and I use this forum.

But, getting back to hoops, Hales sounds like he loves Purdue. PU's loss of a 'ship could be XU's gain.

I am pretty sure the Boilers have not lost a scholey. They have had one for 2010 recently open up with a recruit not meeting standards for the clearinghouse.

But as we have said before Hale has had an offer from Painter and Purdue for quite some time, if he wanted to be a Boiler he would have verbaled when he was offered after his freshman year in high school.

Jumpy
06-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I think I was the one who pointed out the discrep between the two posts on the other board! Sherlock Holmes ain't got nothin' on me. John Holmes...maybe. Of course it wouldn't literally be "on" me.

Unless you're in to that sort of thing. Which is ok, I guess. I mean, who are we to judge?

THRILLHOUSE
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Hale commits to Purdue

http://www.hoosierhillshoops.com/2009/06/23/new-albanys-donnie-hale-pledges-to-purdue/

Juice
06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Hale commits to Purdue

http://www.hoosierhillshoops.com/2009/06/23/new-albanys-donnie-hale-pledges-to-purdue/

One for X, one for Purdue...

MFurey
06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
X never offered Hale. I think he had waited long enough for us to offer (he was at the elite camp on Sunday) and when Mack did not offer he pulled the trigger on Purdue.

AviatorX
06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
From what it sounds like, Hale was XU's for the taking if an offer ever came, so we'll have to trust Mack's judgment here.

therick44
06-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Hale could end up being a very productive player, but it comes with some risk. He has no post game and isn't really big enough to be a legit 4, but he doesn't have the ball skills to be a 3. He is a decent shooter... Not like Justin Doellman who he's been compared to on here. He is more aggressive than JD though, and is sort of sneaky athletic.

???
06-23-2009, 11:41 PM
X never offered Hale. I think he had waited long enough for us to offer (he was at the elite camp on Sunday) and when Mack did not offer he pulled the trigger on Purdue.

XU was Donnie Hale's first offer. It came a while ago and it was still on the table. He made it clear that this is a reason XU was one of his two finalists.

AviatorX
06-23-2009, 11:43 PM
XU was Donnie Hale's first offer. It came a while ago and it was still on the table. He made it clear that this is a reason XU was one of his two finalists.

The offer was NEVER solidified by the new staff. Essentially, he didn't have an actual offer.

X-man
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM
While Rivals and Scout are often at odds with each other on who has offered whom, they both agree on this one: Hale did not have an offer from Xavier. In fact both sites claim that Hale's only offer was from Purdue.

Muskie
06-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Hale did not have an offer from X. I'm sure he'll have a good career at Purdue.

principal
06-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Hale could end up being a very productive player, but it comes with some risk. He has no post game and isn't really big enough to be a legit 4, but he doesn't have the ball skills to be a 3. He is a decent shooter... Not like Justin Doellman who he's been compared to on here. He is more aggressive than JD though, and is sort of sneaky athletic.

I don't know guys, if he can sneak up on people with his athleticism, maybe he would fit right in here? If he can sneak up on people and jump off of one foot, then I think he is must get for us.

ballyhoohoo
06-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Hale did not have an offer from X. I'm sure he'll have a good career at Purdue.

He will have a good career, I wish him the best. I would have loved to have him, but I trust Mack & Co.

MFurey
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM

Mack never offered him, I know that for a fact. Miller might have a while back but I know they cooled on him and were not even really recruiting him for some time.

LutherRackleyRulez
06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Per Jody Demling....Louisville C-J....

Hale to Purdue

New Albany (Ind.) High School basketball standout Donnie Hale ended the recruiting process, picking Purdue University.

Hale, who had made recent trips to Oklahoma State and Xavier for elite camps, but eventually picked the school that showed him the earliest interest.

"They offered me a long time ago but other players committed and it was taken away," Hale said. "But they never backed off me and they were always there - at open gyms during school and at AAU tournaments in the summer. They seemed really interested and did everything they could to get me there."

The 6-foot-8 Hale also had interest from Butler, Indiana State and Virginia. He led New Albany to its second straight undefeated regular season, averaging 18 points and 9.9 rebounds last year before a loss to eventual state champion Bloomington South.

"I'm really glad it's over," he said. "I put a lot of thought into it for a long while and at the end of the day, it just seemed like (Purdue) was the best option for me."

He also averaged 3.8 blocked shots and at one point during the season had a streak of eight straight double-doubles.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

xu15
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Per Jody Demling....Louisville C-J....

Hale to Purdue

New Albany (Ind.) High School basketball standout Donnie Hale ended the recruiting process, picking Purdue University.

Hale, who had made recent trips to Oklahoma State and Xavier for elite camps, but eventually picked the school that showed him the earliest interest.

"They offered me a long time ago but other players committed and it was taken away," Hale said. "But they never backed off me and they were always there - at open gyms during school and at AAU tournaments in the summer. They seemed really interested and did everything they could to get me there."

The 6-foot-8 Hale also had interest from Butler, Indiana State and Virginia. He led New Albany to its second straight undefeated regular season, averaging 18 points and 9.9 rebounds last year before a loss to eventual state champion Bloomington South.

"I'm really glad it's over," he said. "I put a lot of thought into it for a long while and at the end of the day, it just seemed like (Purdue) was the best option for me."

He also averaged 3.8 blocked shots and at one point during the season had a streak of eight straight double-doubles.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Yup.
Happens when their PG's a badass.