PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne - James gone

MADXSTER
05-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Duquesne center James declares for draft

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=806175

Shawn James, the shot-blocking center who was one of five Duquesne University basketball players shot on campus in September 2006, is passing up his senior season to enter the NBA draft.

The 6-foot-10 James previously submitted his name as an early entry to the draft, but had not signed with an agent until doing so Thursday with Steve Cronin. Hiring an agent eliminates any chance of James playing again in college.

Muskie
05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Madster... can you edit that... post the link and maybe quote a paragrapah?

XU 87
05-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Two Duquesne players declaring for the NBA early? Did we all miss something last year?

vee4xu
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Two Duquesne players declaring for the NBA early? Did we all miss something last year?

Someone's missing something, but I don't think it's any of us.

AdamtheFlyer
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Even if (ok, when) he doesn't get drafted, I think this makes sense. He's like 25 years old. His window to play professional basketball is closing.

Juice
05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I see your point, but his window to receive a free education is now closed as well. If he is 25, lets hope he had finished his undergrad and had received a diploma.

AdamtheFlyer
05-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I see your point, but his window to receive a free education is now closed as well. If he is 25, lets hope he had finished his undergrad and had received a diploma.

You can always go back and finish up. Can't go back and play ball once the opportunity has passed. The "free" part is irrelevant. His opportunity for an education will never end.

Juice
05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Many of these kids are not well off enough to just go back to school which takes time away from work, family, etc. If he makes it in the NBA and makes enough money to do that in the future, then I agree with you. But if he doesnt make it, which many of us assume he will not based on his college play, then he will not have made any money and what does he have to show for at his time at Duquesne? An almost finished degree, which greatly limits his job prosepcts outside of basketball.

Snipe
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
James will likely play for money somewhere.

He does have talent.

Juice
05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Here is Chad Ford's analysis of James:

Shawn James, PF, Duquesne*
James is one of the best shot blockers in the country and has the size and athletic ability to be a pro. But his lack of strength and still emerging offensive game, combined with the fact that he turns 25 in September are all strikes against him. He's a likely second round to undrafted pick.

GoMuskies
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Anyone who can erase shots like James can play in the League IMO. I doubt he'll be a great player, but I'd bet he fills a roster spot for at least a couple of years. If he can grab a couple million bucks playing a few years of basketball, then I'm all for it. Good luck to him.