PDA

View Full Version : The Woods - Demolition

xu2006
05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Norwood Café being cleared on Thursday for Xavier Square development

The Woods is being demolished Thursday at 11:30.

Does anyone really care?

Who has the best Woods story?

ATL Muskie
05-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Can someone grab me a beer-soaked brick as a souvenir?

xeus
05-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Is it today or tomorrow?

xu2006
05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Is it today or tomorrow?
Tomorrow... Thursday. I jumped ahead a day in my mind. I guess that means I'm either really quick or really dumb.

Muskie
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Goodbye Woods, i only visited you once (despite living 300 ft away).

MD Muskie
05-07-2008, 11:31 AM
can me have a moment of silence please...ok i am good.

MHettel
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Times must have really changed. I lived at that place. Sounds like a whole lot of apathy about it from most of you.

PM Thor
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I got thrown out of there a few times. I also hadn't stepped in that place in over a decade either.

Goodbye Woods, we hardly knew ye.

Pablo's Brother
05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I loved The Woods. In fact, I believe I went to Xavier and got my education at The Woods.

ServiceUnavailable
05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
As far as I recall, the only reason to go there was to buy carryout beer well after 1AM. Dana's was the place to be.

xeus
05-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I remember when JoAnn gave me my $2 bill upon graduation. I still have it.

kyxu
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Times must have really changed. I lived at that place. Sounds like a whole lot of apathy about it from most of you.

Nothing changed. That place was still well-attended up to its closing.

Fred Garvin
05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
It is still not too late for me to prevent demolition. I think I might sneak into the bathroom and chain myself to the can. Don't worry, I'll bring plenty of reading material.

I like to prevent things from being blown up. I'm the anti-Bill Ayers.

xu95
05-08-2008, 07:36 AM

I agree, the Woods seemed more of the prime location during our years. Dana's was before and after us.

xu95

XUOHTX
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I read they saved parts of the woods including the actual bar itself for use in the new stuff.

Muskie
05-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Agree... it was well used in the 1996-2000 era. I just never went for some reason.

MD Muskie
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
The Enquirer now has a post up with pictures of the Woods getting torn down

PM Thor
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=AB&Dato=20080508&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=305070025&Ref=TS&NewTbl=1&MaxW=270&MaxH=175&border=0

Strange Brew
05-08-2008, 02:42 PM

Glad to hear it. I drove past on my way to night class and it's pretty much gone. I will pour out some stale natty in appriciation of all of the stale lukewarm draft beer I consumed. Also, I can't help but laugh when I think of Kareoke on Weds nights and every evening wrapping up with Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" blaring followed by everyone smasing their empties on the floor. Man did that piss of Snaggletooth Donnie and Joanne.

Good times, good times :rolleyes:

Mrs. Garrett
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
The evening before final grades came out my senior year (1997), myself and several friends closed the place down, then came back at 5:30 am to "open" the Woods, as we did in those days. We drank as much as we could in order to get the courage to walk over to the registrar's office to see if we had all actually graduated.

One of the guys in our group decided as a final exit from the old place he would get a running head start and dive thru the front window head first and just keep going. Turns out the windows were plexy glass and he bounced right off them. So much for the grand exit.

I've found it pretty impossible to find the 70 cent drafts we got there anywhere else in the world.

golfitup
05-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I did the "open" the woods thing two times and the same dude was there both times playing video poker game at the bar. I think it was the clientele that made the woods so great.

Kahns Krazy
05-08-2008, 03:57 PM
One of the guys in our group decided as a final exit from the old place he would get a running head start and dive thru the front window head first and just keep doing. Turns out the windows were plexy glass and he bounced right off them. So much for the grand exit.

I've found it pretty impossible to find the 70 cent drafts we got there anywhere else in the world.

That's real fine story that is. Rep points for the glass-bounce-exit.

I spent a weekend in Peru, Il. (2000 census population, 9,835). Peru was the former location of a large Westclox factory. Median income in Peru is just under $21,000. There was one bar that charged $1 for a bottled beer, but other than that, the most I paid was 75 cents, and most bars (we visited about 20 of the roughly 50 alcohol serving establishments in Peru) it was 50 cents for a pint. This was in 1995, so it's a few years back, but still, I doubt they're charging all that much more today.

I was told while I was there that if every single person in town went to a bar, the bars wouldn't even be half full. It was a strange, strange place. I also heard while I was there that the mental retardation rate in the public school system was 25%. That's rough.

XU05and07
05-08-2008, 04:29 PM
The demolition means the end of H&H Grill...now that is something to miss

XU AZ
05-08-2008, 04:38 PM
The demolition means the end of H&H Grill...now that is something to miss

I actually heard H and H is the only place that did not get bought by Xavier and will still be around

Cheesehead
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
When I was at X, The Woods was the "underage" crowd until we were all legal. We would start the night there & then try to sneak into Dana's later in the night, which mean usually climbing the walls & sneaking in thru back door.

I do recall opening up the Woods. It seemd like the sun was going to melt my face off when I took that first step from out of the dark shadows. It was not my favorite bar. I was more of a Dana's person and Cap's for a while when it first opened up.

XURunner85
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Actually this isn't the first time the Woods has been demolished, back in my day a girl from class actually made The Woods a drive thru.....it was kind of cool and we never let her forget it....

yougotdbagged
05-09-2008, 01:49 AM
I did the "open" the woods thing two times and the same dude was there both times playing video poker game at the bar. I think it was the clientele that made the woods so great.

I know the exact guy you are talking about. Last year to kick off senior week, we closed Dana's, got a case to go and killed it, then opened the Woods. We got there at 5:25 and that guy was banging on the door with some piss and vinegar. I think he slept in his car for the 3.5 hours they were closed each night. Seriously.

I have to salute Donnie and the Woods staff. I saw things in there I didn't know were humanly possible. It was also the only place you could get hit on by toothless Norwood hags and buy jello shots by the dozen to share with incoherant street trash who tried to hustle pool in the back.

My other favorite Woods memory was walking to class past there the first day of the Ohio smoking ban and seeing 10 people out front smoking and no one inside, even behind the bar.