PDA

View Full Version : APR Scores for A-10 (X 2nd)

Muskie
05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Link (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/home?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Education+and+Research/Academic+Reform/APR/2006-07_School_APR_Data_J5lt9A.html)

Men's Basketball Academic Progress Rate (APR)
Charlotte - 942
Dayton - 974
Duquesne - 914
Fordham - 929
George Washington - 946
La Salle - 935
UMass - 903
Rhode Island - 938
Richmond - 925
St. Bonaventure - 897
Saint Joseph's - 921
Saint Louis - 979 (Highest in the A10)
Temple - 909
Xavier - 977

Temple, if i read the chart correctly, will have some penalties in baseball and football. Although, I'm not really sure how this works because mighty UMASS and the Bonnies appear to have an even worse scores.

Muskie
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
How the APR is calculated

Athletes can earn two points per term. One point is for being academically eligible for the next term or graduating. The other point is for returning to school the next term or graduating.
The APR is a percentage score multiplied by 10. If a team gets 95 percent of its possible points, its score would be 950 out of a possible 1,000.
The NCAA set a base limit of 925, under which teams can be penalized, including loss of scholarships. The scores released this year cover four academic years, 2003-04 through '06-07.

wkrq59
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Muskie. That's the most intelligent and understandable explanation I've read about Myles Brand's folly. I hope it works, but I have my doubts. If it works and is rigidly enforced, it should prevent one-and-dones, which I still believe will damage D1 basketball. :D

Masterofreality
05-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow.

Anthony Solomon not only recruited lousy basketball players, but lousy students as well. Then again, maybe Bona was hurt by the transfers out after the welding scandal?

Temple? I thought John Chaney made his players go to class and held them accountable, unless, again, the score is due to transfers out after Chaney retired, although I don't remember any.

xubrew
05-11-2008, 09:11 PM
those APRs are low because of transfers.

being below 925 means that universities can face penalties, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will. if a high number of players transfer out during a coaching change that is taken into account.

saint bonaventure is on public notice, but that doesn't really mean anything other than that they need to get their house in order or they could lose scholarships. temple and umass weren't sanctioned at all.

Thanks, Muskie. That's the most intelligent and understandable explanation I've read about Myles Brand's folly. I hope it works, but I have my doubts. If it works and is rigidly enforced, it should prevent one-and-dones, which I still believe will damage D1 basketball.

one and dones will not effect the APR all that much. if players leave for the nba, nfl or mlb, the point isn't counted against them. instead of getting one point out of two possible, it's calculated as one point out of one possible. that's only for players that go pro, though.

Kahns Krazy
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
one and dones will not effect the APR all that much. if players leave for the nba, nfl or mlb, the point isn't counted against them. instead of getting one point out of two possible, it's calculated as one point out of one possible. that's only for players that go pro, though.

There was some concern about the one-and-dones not bothering with classes in the second semester, so this at least penalizes the team for allowing that to happen.