PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate Discipline

Masterofreality
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Couple of interesting disciplinary items from around the world of college basketball.

Tennessee Coach Bruce Pearl has dismissed Duke Crews and Ramar Smith from the basketball program. The dismissals were not from one specific incident, but from "problems over a period of time."

Indiana Coach Tom Crean will not reinstate Armon Bassett or Jamarcus Ellis who were kicked off the team after last season by Dan Dakich.

Respect goes to those coaches who aren't afraid to drop guys who apparently don't want to do what they are supposed to do. Not only that, with the story out about Chris Lofton's cancer, my respect for Bruce Pearl is definitely enhanced. While he's still somewhat of a showhorse, to me, he's a fun showhorse that doesn't damage the game.

How different would Duke Crews' career be if he went to XU?

Maybe no different, but.......

Muskie73
05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
MOR I wonder how many incidents Pearl had to deal with before coming to this decision. I would think Pearl gave the two chances to correct the problem before he came to the final decision, for which I agree with your take.

As much as I like to think the atmosphere at Xavier is conducive to players, for the most part, doing the right thing; I also feel that we also ducked a potentially destructive act by haveing Crews pick Tennessee over X.

Juice
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree 73. Based on my own perception of Tennessee and Pearl, those guys probably had a few chances. I am glad Crews did not come here because I think he would have been well behaved to an extent and he would have become problems eventually.