PDA

View Full Version : When did you first realize you're not young anymore?

Jumpy
04-25-2008, 08:57 AM
So, yesterday was my 30th birthday. All in all, it was probably mest best birthday ever. Took the day off work, went to the Reds game, enjoyed many frosty beverages in the glorious spring afternoon.

Leading up to my birthday, though, was not so great. I was in foul humor for the better part of a week because the realization hit me that I am no longer a kid, or even a young person, for that matter. Now that I am 30, I am planted firmly in the "adult" category, speeding towards middle aged! How did this happen? It seemed like yesterday that I left X.

So, my question is this: when did this realization happen to you and what did you do to cope?

Fred Garvin
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Turning 30 wasn't a big deal for me. I'll be 39 in June. Jumpy, you should take solace in knowing you are still in the coveted 18-34 year old demographic advertisers covet. Kahn's Krazy is about to graduate from this group. What a fossil.

Xman95
04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Uh, just now when you pointed it out. Thanks.

Be happy, at least you haven't reached the point when you sit on the can and your bag gently dunks into the chilly water below!

(Actually, I haven't either, but I've heard it's a real biznitch!)

Jumpy
04-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Uh, just now when you pointed it out. Thanks.

Be happy, at least you haven't reached the point when you sit on the can and your bag gently dunks into the chilly water below!

(Actually, I haven't either, but I've heard it's a real biznitch!)

Yeah, I dread those days. My friend's dad wears gym shorts all the time, and let me tell you, after getting past the initial shock, seeing his sack hang out of the shorts when he sits down is pretty amazing. Even funnier is the fact that he subconciously rocks forward before he sits down. guess he's sat on the marbles a few too many times.

Xman95
04-25-2008, 09:25 AM
guess he's sat on the marbles a few too many times.

Oh, I've certainly crushed my grapes before...and it definitely makes whine!

ATL Muskie
04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I just turned 36 this year. I didn't really look at numbers after around 22 or 23. I guess I realized I wasn't young anymore when my first child was born. You grow up pretty quickly after that!

I really started feeling it around 34 or 35 though.

Smails
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
If you were to ask my wife she'd tell you that I still have not come to that realization. I'm 34 and I gess the first time I remember truly feeling my age was about 3 years ago when my friends and I resurrected our flag football team and entered a tournament we used to play in all of the time. Not only did we not finish in the top, 2 which had never happened before, but I was walking like a cowboy for three days due to extreme soreness. I literally had trouble getting out of bed the next day. We have not played since...

Here are some noticable changes I have witnessed from age 28-34:
-Diminished flexibility (stretching is more essential than ever)
-Wierd shooting pains in strange places
-Wicked hangovers on draft beers and shots
-Not as easy to put my socks on standing up as it used to be
-Making a noise when I get out of a chair

XUglow
04-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Sheesh. Old age is 15 years older than you are now and that won't change until you cannot find anyone that is 15 years older than you. A) Keep yourself in shape. B) Put down the remote from time to time. C) Keep doing things that you really, really like to do.

D-West & PO-Z
04-25-2008, 10:10 AM
If you were to ask my wife she'd tell you that I still have not come to that realization. I'm 34 and I gess the first time I remember truly feeling my age was about 3 years ago when my friends and I resurrected our flag football team and entered a tournament we used to play in all of the time. Not only did we not finish in the top, 2 which had never happened before, but I was walking like a cowboy for three days due to extreme soreness. I literally had trouble getting out of bed the next day. We have not played since...

Here are some noticable changes I have witnessed from age 28-34:
-Diminished flexibility (stretching is more essential than ever)
-Wierd shooting pains in strange places
-Wicked hangovers on draft beers and shots
-Not as easy to put my socks on standing up as it used to be
-Making a noise when I get out of a chair

Yes, but dont stretch before activities, stretch some after, but just do a light warm up before any activity. Stretching actually increases the probability of injury if done before activity.

Snipe
04-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I refuse to grow up.

DC Muskie
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I tell you what, I looked forward to 30. I was done with my 20's for the most part.

The hangovers are when you realize that you are old. At least to this guy who has no woman , no children, no meaning in life whatsoever.

Smails
04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Big weekend plans eh?

XUglow
04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
My hangover cure - 4 ibuprofen. Bam! Good as new.

American X
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
When I started waking up early automatically on weekends and became responsible for others at work.

It is incredibly easy to watch TV, not read, and not exercise. You must consciously do less of the former and more of the latter two. I am not an avid runner, not one of those people on magazine covers with goofy smiles and designer workout gear, but I ran a marathon this year anyway. My lifestyle was incredibly focused during the training period. You do not need to run a marathon, but such a goal is incredibly helpful for motivation.

Get to Borders or the library. You need to at least dabble in some serious topics to stay mentally acute. You have a Jesuit education, use it. A thorough analysis of Critique of Pure Reason is not called for, but plenty of incisive, topical books are out there, such as Mary Steyn's America Alone. You could get endless recommendations around here. Moral and intellectual superiority always makes me feel young.

If that fails, do like XUglow, get a Miss Muskie and try to keep up.

Kahns Krazy
04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm a year older than Fred thinks I am, but it's still been an aging year for me. When I was in college, there was an older cousin of one of my housemates that would occasionally hang out with us. We would mock him because he was soooo old and he was still trying to hang with the college kids. I think he was 26.

in the last year, I've started taking regular daily medication. That makes me feel old. My hangovers are much worse than they used to be, so I drink less during the week. That makes me feel old.

However, it's still not unheard of for me to grab a beer at last call on a Monday night. Within the last year, I also had the single craziest night of my life, which made me feel not so old.

Snipe is really old, but he still sneaks Beast Light Tallboys in his car, just like when he was 17, so he tries not to act old.

XU 87
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I first starting feeling old the first few seconds after I said "I do".

Mrs. Garrett
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I think my aging process has gone in reverese a bit. At 30, I trained and ran the Chicago Marathon. Lost 25-30 lbs and haven't looked back. At 33, I'm still an avid runner. I still play basketball all the time, still can hit the open j with the best of them. The one thing I can't do anymore is dunk (That's right, Mrs. G could dunk).

Jumpy
04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I see the common theme of taking better care of your body. I have to say that it has become an obsession of mine lately, as well. I quit smoking in February and promptly put on 10 pounds of spare tire. Now all I have to do is look at a Pepsi (something I am severely addicted to) and another half pound shows up. I'm doing better, though. Through walking (being dragged by) my dogs, racing that guy in the mirror on an eliptical machine and cutting out the sweets, I am almost back to where I started. If I can get back to the weight I was when I left college, I would be happy.

Kahns Krazy
04-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I quit smoking in August, and it was a struggle to not put pounds on. To help quit smoking, I had to moderate drinking (I have zero willpower over the smokes when I'm solidly drunk), and I think that helped offset my new found craving for salty snacks.

Jumpy
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I quit smoking in August, and it was a struggle to not put pounds on. To help quit smoking, I had to moderate drinking (I have zero willpower over the smokes when I'm solidly drunk), and I think that helped offset my new found craving for salty snacks.

My decision to quit did not intentionally coincide with the smoking ban in Ohio, but it sure as hell helped. Drinking was my downfall every time in the past, as well. While there have been times of cheating (all while drinking), I have not fallen completely apart because smoking is not nearly as prevalent as it was just 6 months ago. I can quickly get back on track before I totally succumb to the gnawing urge.

Kahns Krazy
04-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Totally agree on the smoking ban. I am quite sure that I would not have been as successful in quitting.

However, from a constitutional standpoint, I am still 100% against it.

cutterX
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Having our first kid and two weeks later turning 30 did it for me. I was a depressed for weeks. Now that I'm 40 I look back and wonder what all my bitching was about!!

PM Thor
04-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Physically I realized that I was older when I was put in the "master" class for a bike race. No more an "elite"...meaning I am older than 30. It sucked.
Just yesterday on a ride I got absolutely smoked by a kid clearly half my age. He dropped me like I was from dayton or something, I thought my heart was going to explode.

Mentally though I am still the 12 year old I have always been. That won't change anytime soon.

Kahns Krazy
04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I will also admit it makes me feel old when I see monikers like "XU 05 & 07", and I realize those are graduation years.

Also when I realize that I could legally do someone 'half my age'.

boozehound
04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
I hear you on the waking up early automatically on the weekends American X. I think that is the biggest reason I can't drink like I used to; I can't sleep in past 8 anymore.

wkrq59
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Let's see, when did I start to feel my age or realize I was getting older?
Well, I was 31 when my son was born and 36 when my daughter was born. Used to have problems catching my two-year-old daughter when she would yell "Run me daybear" in the house.
Married at 27 and going strong into my late 50s. Not then.
Ballooned to 288 early 50s. Stairs in the Gardens a problem. Diabetes at 57, maybe then, although stopped drinking all together. Big change in lifestyle.
Daughter married in 93 (age 57). Still not that old. grandson born 1995 (age 59) realization sinking in.
Forced to retire, (63) kept working part time till 66...Definitely gettin' older. Grandson asked if I saw Red Grange or Ditt clapper play? UUhhhhhhhh, yikes
Colon cancer last June (70) in and out of hospital and nursing homes thanks to Chemo until this Jan. 3. Definitely aware. Lost 111 pounds and just wanted to make 71, now it's shooting for 72. Ooooh, yes. Know how old I really am.
Now, for those of you who are 25, 30, 35, I haven't seen a 40, wake me when you can remember Dick and Tay.
Oh, but I'm not through yet.:D

XUglow
04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
See, Q. 85 is old. That's the way it works. Seriously, if you are reading this board, 5 year olds consider you ancient.

wkrq59
04-26-2008, 03:25 AM
GLow,
You make me raff:D

Nigel Tufnel
04-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm 34. And for me, its just the little things. If I sleep longer than 7 hours, when I get out of bed, my lower back feels like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. Also, it takes a little longer to get the knees, ankles and legs to loosen up in the morning. Two summers ago, the bar association where I practice decided to put together a co-ed softball game and luncheon. I showed up and played a little shortstop during batting practice before the game. The Judge hit a ground ball in the hole between short and 3rd. Thinking I was Ozzie Smith, I went deep in the hole to backhand it. I bent over and SNAP!...there went the left hamstring. I was out before the game even started. I was made fun of relentlessly by all the older folks and constantly reminded that I wasn't in my 20's anymore. It kind of dawned on me then.

I jog about 4-5 times a week. Last year, I decided to really try to get into shape and began the P90X workout. Again, I overdid it. After about 2 weeks, I could barely move and the smallest movement caused pain so badly it about made me crap my pants. Finally, I said no mas. I just started P90X last week. This time, I'm trying to push myself...but push myself as a 34 year old...not a 20 year old. Using a little more common sense has really helped. I'm sore, but not in constant excrutiating pain. I think I'll be able to stick with it.

If anyone has seen those P90X commercials, I would recommend the workout. They really work the muscles and mix in a lot of cardio. You will see results after only a couple of weeks (I saw it last year before I finally had enough)

Xman95
04-26-2008, 10:34 AM
After about 2 weeks, I could barely move and the smallest movement caused pain so badly it about made me crap my pants.

They make an adult diaper for that sort of thing. It's called "Oops, I crapped my pants" and I believe it's available through SNL.

(In case others don't remember it, Saturday Night Live did a fake commercial for adult underpants called "Oops, I crapped my pants." Perhaps they were also available for users of another SNL fake product, "Super Colon Blow.")

vee4xu
04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Age is a state of mind. It is a chronilogical number that shouldn't jade one's perspective on what they do. Too many people say, "oh shit, I'm 30 so I should be doing this". Then they simply substitute 30 with any other number that follows and think things have to change becouse they are older.

I am 51, run about 1100 miles per year, have run a half-marathon, beat my sons at games of 21 in the driveway, can outwork anyone in my job, do my own landscaping (including edging and mulching), golf once or twice a week, drive from Columbus to XU games every winter and so it goes.

Age is a mindset. Fortunately, I have good genes and am healthy. Also, I have a great wife and two great sons, so there is no stress in that regard. Those two things help tremedously. My parents have been a good example to me about how to just keep going despite age.

My whole life I have refused to allow three words into my daily routine. They are: jealousy, boredom and depression. Those have no place in my life. I worry only about myself and my famiily and am happy for anyone else's success (except ud basketball). It is important to have a few good friends a lots of acquaintances. I pray daily for patience and and a peaceful heart, among other things, and that seems to help. I've overcome some challenges to get me where I am and have to work hard to keep myself there. Living in the moment is really important for me to remember. I don't need a lot to live, but have been blessed with more than I deserve on all fronts.

In the end, I am a work in progress, but try to keep moving ahead each new day. If I die today I feel like my life would be complete. Yet, the best way to know that is from what others say and not what I thnk of myself. Every day is a new challenge, but I look forward to it.

Jumpy
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Good advice for anyone of any age, Vee. Thanks for sharing.

blobfan
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I can't say I've realized it yet and I'm past 30. I get a lot of shoulder taps though. I go along with life, blissfully thinking I'm as young as everyone else, and something tries to wake me up to reality: A kid I babysat for when he was 6 months old graduated from high school last year; baby sister (18 years younger) is driving; I've lost too many family members (all grandparents, dad, step-dad). I guess as long as I have a lap to crawl onto (metaphorically) that reminds me of being a little kid, I can ignore the reaper.

I suppose there's a benefit of not having kids. Hubby and I can play as much as we like and there are no little faces to look at me quizzically if I mention vinyl records or Atari.

GoMuskies
04-27-2008, 09:22 PM
I went to see Sesame Stree Live: Elmo and Friends with my daughter yesterday morning. That'll do it for any illusions of youth.
'

xudash
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Age is a state of mind. It is a chronilogical number that shouldn't jade one's perspective on what they do. Too many people say, "oh shit, I'm 30 so I should be doing this". Then they simply substitute 30 with any other number that follows and think things have to change becouse they are older.

I am 51, run about 1100 miles per year, have run a half-marathon, beat my sons at games of 21 in the driveway, can outwork anyone in my job, do my own landscaping (including edging and mulching), golf once or twice a week, drive from Columbus to XU games every winter and so it goes.

Age is a mindset. Fortunately, I have good genes and am healthy. Also, I have a great wife and two great sons, so there is no stress in that regard. Those two things help tremedously. My parents have been a good example to me about how to just keep going despite age.

My whole life I have refused to allow three words into my daily routine. They are: jealousy, boredom and depression. Those have no place in my life. I worry only about myself and my famiily and am happy for anyone else's success (except ud basketball). It is important to have a few good friends a lots of acquaintances. I pray daily for patience and and a peaceful heart, among other things, and that seems to help. I've overcome some challenges to get me where I am and have to work hard to keep myself there. Living in the moment is really important for me to remember. I don't need a lot to live, but have been blessed with more than I deserve on all fronts.

In the end, I am a work in progress, but try to keep moving ahead each new day. If I die today I feel like my life would be complete. Yet, the best way to know that is from what others say and not what I thnk of myself. Every day is a new challenge, but I look forward to it.

vee, excellent post. Your first sentence of your last paragraph - "In the end, I am a work in progress, but try to keep moving ahead each new day." - just about sums it up; always try to do better, to keep improving, to learn something new, to grow.

Otherwise, you are a complete prick for revealing that you run over a thousand miles per year at our age. I don't think I could make a thousand feet in that amount of time. I feel like Belushi pouring cheese dip down his togo at the Togo Party.

Seriously, I agree that age is a mindset and that it doesn't matter what the human odometer reads. Health and the maintenance of it is key. I used to swim into my 40's and got to the point where I worked out with a Masters team, though my schedule wouldn't allow me to compete with them. Even then, at an age that must appear scary to a few of you guys, I was in better shape and felt better than I did while in school, where the academic load, the partying load, bartending at Dana's, etc. put a lot of wear and tear on the body, which should have been hard to destroy at such a youthful point in life.

So all to this I add a powerful word: discipline. Even while fussing with a new start-up company, I am getting back into the game of working out. Swimming again and a stationary bike. Bad back and all, I'm doing it to feel better and to help my golf game. I want to get to that place I was once at before, where you feel like crap for MISSING a work out.

Last thing. For whatever reason, I did not mind the "zero" years (i.e. 30, 40, etc.) as much as I minded the "five" years (i.e. 35, 45, etc.). To hit 35 means that 40 is clearly in view. That always bothered me until I became wise enough - at least on this specific topic - to not give a damn anymore.

Navigate life so that you'll have a quality of life. Otherwise, start praying your arse off and head for home.

vee4xu
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
dash, thanks for the kind words.

Xman95
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Another sign that you're getting old: you're listening to the radio and really enjoying the songs. You're thinking it's pretty current because, well, it's your music and you remember getting the cd's when the songs came out. Then a song ends and you hear, "You're listening to BackTracks USA." The music that was "now" to me happened to be, in fact, "now" about 12 years ago. WOW...that's a bite in the taint.

xudash
04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Another sign that you're getting old: you're listening to the radio and really enjoying the songs. You're thinking it's pretty current because, well, it's your music and you remember getting the cd's when the songs came out. Then a song ends and you hear, "You're listening to BackTracks USA." The music that was "now" to me happened to be, in fact, "now" about 12 years ago. WOW...that's a bite in the taint.

Good point. Now consider vinyl and turntables.

DC Muskie
04-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I realized I was getting older when I complimented the furniture at my brothers. Anytime you notice the new furniture, let alone have some feeling either way, means you are old.

Kahns Krazy
04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Furniture is a funny one, but I think it has more to do - at least for me - with income level more than age. I like nicer furniture, but I'm still price sensitive if the cost is going to interfere with my other preferred discretionary income.

I'd rather have the materials to stock a bar than to have a nice empty bar.