PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Points and Green/Red Pips

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey guys, I realize that this is a somewhat new site and some people on here will have questions concerning the reputation points, and the Green and Red Pips.

I figured I would help you guys out and give an overview of what I know about this stuff. Please, if I get something wrong, please tell me.

Remember, I am basing this information off of my knowledge from other boards just like this one. here it goes......

WHAT IS "REPUTATION"?

Reputation is what you give and get (or lose) on the Xavier Hoops board for what others see as a good or bad remark or addition to the board. There are two types of reputation you can give via the Gold Star in the bottom left hand corner of the post, these are "Good Rep" (as symbolized by the statement, "I approve") and "Bad Rep" (as symbolized by the statement, "I disapprove"). It's also considered good form to give some sort of explanation for giving good or bad rep points to someone. Oh yes, and Plus members can see who has repped them, so it's not an entirely anonymous thing (Yet another of the many perks of Plus membership! Join today!).

WHAT CAN I REP FOR?

You can positive rep someone for making a really good analysis of a statistical conundrum, chiming in with a particularly important-to-note fact, or an opinion you happen to agree with. You can give positive rep if someone posts a joke or photo that makes you laugh or simply amuses you. On the other hand, you can give negative rep for a remark that you feel is nasty, mean-spirited, or just plain stupid. Basically, you can give rep for whatever you feel deserves cheers or jeers.

HEY, HOW DO THESE GREEN "PIPS" WORK?

The number of rep points you give is determined by the number of pips you currently have. Once you have one green pip, your repping, positive or negative, is worth one reputation point. When you have two green pips, your repping is worth two points, and so on. With 11 green pips, that person's positive or negative repping is worth 11 points.

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE HAVE MORE PIPS THAN OTHERS? HOW CAN I BE COOL LIKE THEM?

Your first 5 green pips (the dark green ones) are acquired at the rate of one for every 100 reputation points (after the first one). Therefore, at 100 rep points you get your second pip, at 200 you get your third one, and so on up to 5. Beyond that (the light green ones) you acquire pips at a rate of one every 200 reputation points. Pips can be acquired at this latter rate indefinitely, or so the legend goes...

WHAT ABOUT THOSE EVIL-LOOKING RED PIPS?

If your reputation is down near zero and you receive negative reputation that brings you under zero, you enter "red pip" territory. This is a warning flag to everyone (especially the site administrators) that you're on thin ice. This usually happens as a result of nastiness, flaming, or flagrant disregard for proper English grammar, among other things. Such a precarious situation can be remedied, however, by obtaining positive rep.

ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?

Indeed, yes. There are a few things. Firstly, you can only give rep points a few times a day (I'm unclear on the number), so choose wisely. Secondly, if you rep the same person a lot, you may start getting a message imploring you to spread some of that rep around. Do so. There are other people saying things worth rewarding (or punishing). Thirdly, I will add to and amend this thread as information becomes more clear to me (or as I realize I've left big questions unanswered).

Scoring in the green pip world

0-99, 1
100-199, 2
200-299, 3
300-399, 4
400-499, 5
500-699, 6
700-899, 7
900-1,099, 8
1,100-1,299, 9
1,300-1,499, 10
1,500+, 11 - the end of the pip universe, there is not a 12th pip

Also, for negative rep points, I try to limit mine to those who explicitly break the board rules, or attack you or someone else. Or is a complete or utter PIA. I wouldn't give them out for people who just disagree with you.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to let you guys know that until you hit a certain number of posts (not sure the #, maybe the mods can help me out here), your rep is neither green nor red, it is just gray-which doesn't give or deduct points. So if you have less than probably like 100 posts or 50 posts, once gain don't know the number, it is useless to rep.

Once you have posted a certain amount, your approvals or disapprovals begin to actually count for points.

Also, if you want the person to know who gave the approval or disapproval, put it in the message. It shows up as an anonymous approval or disapproval otherwise.

BBC 08
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
You really do have a lot of time on your hands back in MD. Also, I hope someone got you a ticket today cause it was a long line.

Muskie
01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd have to look... but i'm not sure the ranges you listed are correct. But everything else is SPOT ON.

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
You really do have a lot of time on your hands back in MD. Also, I hope someone got you a ticket today cause it was a long line.

Yeah Zak got me one. Like the sixth group or something. Glad I have a friend who is dedicated enough to skip classes to get me one.

Thanks for offering btw. haha j/k

And yes, I have no hw, no car, no job, and way too many seasons of King of Queens on DVD. I have too much time. Can't wait to get back to X later this week.

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd have to look... but i'm not sure the ranges you listed are correct. But everything else is SPOT ON.

Alright cool. If the ranges are different, you can PM them to me and I will change them on the original post.

Muskie
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Alright cool. If the ranges are different, you can PM them to me and I will change them on the original post.

sheesh... now i have to go look... :)

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 01:02 PM
haha sorry for the trouble

BBC 08
01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Chris, I was with Zak all day, he didn't mention getting you a ticket but I'm sure he came through. So if he did we will have some great seats to watch ud lose yet again to us.

Stonebreaker
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Feel free to rep my anytime.

BlueGuy
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Drew's Crew,

This was a blatant attempt at garnering some rep points/pips. Thanks for the info! I was wondering how that worked.

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
yeah no problem, I'm trying to clear it up for everyone.

Oh btw, did it work?

BlueGuy
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
You earned my vote/rep/pip (what ever it was).

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Wait, I just explained all that and you still don't know the difference? haha

xuwin
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah no problem, I'm trying to clear it up for everyone.

Oh btw, did it work?

So that's what you're trying to do....:rolleyes:

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Ahh my intentions are so transparent. haha

No really, I wanted everyone to know exaclty what all this stuff means. I know a lot of ppl came from MM, and they weren't close to as sophisticated as this board.

I figured I would explain it for everyone. It can make things much mroe interesting. And you can punish people for being obnoxious.....which is always fun.

BlueGuy
01-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Wait, I just explained all that and you still don't know the difference? haha

I get it. The more green dots, the cooler you are. I need to come up with something usefull to say so people will pip me.

Billy
01-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I get it. The more green dots, the cooler you are. I need to come up with something usefull to say so people will pip me.

It would be sweet if the pips worked like Skeeball tickets.

100 pips = a decoder ring
500 pips = BIG coloring book
10,000 pips = Opportunity to kick The Shadow's ass at half court immediately before the February 21st game vs. Duquesne.

muskienick
01-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Geez, all that time and I never had a clue what those green or red squares were all about. On the A-10 board, they have light green and dark green squares. The posters I have seen with 11 green pips all had 5 dark green ones and 6 light green ones. What's that all about? (I am too lazy to delve deeper into the A-10 Board's help or profile screens to find out and many of you guys seem quite knowledgeable.)

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, now you know!

Each of the first 5 take 100 rep pts to earn. The next six, the bright green, each take 200 pts to earn. I don't know why it is set up like that but it is how all the boards are.

X-band '01
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
It explains the A-10 board setup a litte better.

Muskie
01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
If someone could come up with a fair breakdown, I'm open to changing them.

Drew's Crew
01-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Eh I have never experienced problems with the breakdown in my other boards. The reason they do that is because you can only have 11 total.

If you don't make the 6-11 pips hard to get, then ppl will get to 11 too quickly. It seems to work out.

X to the A
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the information Drew's Crew! You are the man!

I know that took a lot of work to post all this info and I really appreciate it. Makes it a lot easier to get acclimated to the board!

Billy
01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm proud of myself. Yesterday, in this thread, I made one post that got both negative and positive response(s). The post is now considered "neutral".

That's exactly what I'm aiming for. I'd like to please half of the readership...and simultaneously disturb the other half. This kind of attitude might alarm the mods, and I may forever be stuck on one lonely green dot as a result...but oh well.

Drew's Crew
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Haha that's one way to go. You just don't want any of those red pips. They just make you look bad. I've had them before. Lost all my dignity........

Billy
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Haha that's one way to go. You just don't want any of those red pips. They just make you look bad. I've had them before. Lost all my dignity........

I'd first need to gather dignity in order to lose it...wouldn't I?

Snipe
01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm proud of myself. Yesterday, in this thread, I made one post that got both negative and positive response(s). The post is now considered "neutral".

That's exactly what I'm aiming for. I'd like to please half of the readership...and simultaneously disturb the other half. This kind of attitude might alarm the mods, and I may forever be stuck on one lonely green dot as a result...but oh well.

How can you tell?

I have posted on the A-10 board for years and I never really even noticed what was going on.

I clicked on your's an added a comment. Were you able to read the comment?

chico
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Where do you see this stuff? I feel like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer - your green and red squares confuse and frighten me.

Drew's Crew
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
yes you can read a ccomment when one is left for you. The name of the poster is anonymous though. Next to the comment will either be a red, green, or gray pip showing the type of rep you received. A gray pip can be positive or negative but it means the person who repped u doesnt have enough posts for it to matter.

To check your rep, click on the quick links tab in the top right and then click on the control panel link. If you have rep, it will show how much and your recent comments.

X to the A
01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Hmmm....now all I have to do is think of something creative to type so I can get positive rep points!

muskienick
01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation. What is not explained is how some of the folks at the A-10 board got those 11 pips (especially including yours truly). There have been times when I have been accused by people over there of suggesting that schools be thrown from the league. I guess those that have complained about that (even though it isn't specifically what I suggested) didn't bother to downgrade my rep or didn't know how to.

Billy
01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
There have been times when I have been accused by people over there of suggesting that schools be thrown from the league. I guess those that have complained about that (even though it isn't specifically what I suggested) didn't bother to downgrade my rep or didn't know how to.

MOR has been suggesting that those weaker institutions be burned to the ground, and their Presidents, flogged to death.

So perhaps, they find your stance to be rather compassionate by comparison.

Drew's Crew
01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the explanation. What is not explained is how some of the folks at the A-10 board got those 11 pips (especially including yours truly). There have been times when I have been accused by people over there of suggesting that schools be thrown from the league. I guess those that have complained about that (even though it isn't specifically what I suggested) didn't bother to downgrade my rep or didn't know how to.

Yeah either that or the ones that gave you negative didn't really have any posts, therefore their when they repped you it wasn't worth as much.

Most likely those that would have repped you negatively probably were guys from the basement schools. They never have anything to talk about anyways so their rep probably didn't hold any weight. Whereas the people from the bigger schools who prabably repped you positively for those comments had more posts because they have had more to talk about over the years. Thus more positive points than negative.

X to the A
01-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Do you know how many posts it takes for your stuff to count?

Drew's Crew
01-16-2008, 12:39 AM
No Idea. You will have to ask the mods.

The Artist
01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but I think this whole thing is stupid. Just something more to create a superiority complex among some...acting like they're better than other posters because of this or because of that.

Personally, I don't need it. I already know I'm superior.

Drew's Crew
01-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Haha ok good to know Artist.

But yes for the most part, they are pointless. But it is just another feature of the chatboard.

XU05and07
01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Is there a way to find out how many rep points other people have? I can find my own rep score but not what other people have

KFX
01-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, I realize that this is a somewhat new site and some people on here will have questions concerning the reputation points, and the Green and Red Pips.

I figured I would help you guys out and give an overview of what I know about this stuff. Please, if I get something wrong, please tell me.

BTW, you guys might want to temporarily make this a Sticky so people can have a clear idea on how this stuff works.

Remember, I am basing this information off of my knowledge from other boards just like this one. here it goes......

WHAT IS "REPUTATION"?

Reputation is what you give and get (or lose) on the Xavier Hoops board for what others see as a good or bad remark or addition to the board. There are two types of reputation you can give via the Gold Star in the bottom left hand corner of the post, these are "Good Rep" (as symbolized by the statement, "I approve") and "Bad Rep" (as symbolized by the statement, "I disapprove"). It's also considered good form to give some sort of explanation for giving good or bad rep points to someone. Oh yes, and Plus members can see who has repped them, so it's not an entirely anonymous thing (Yet another of the many perks of Plus membership! Join today!).

WHAT CAN I REP FOR?

You can positive rep someone for making a really good analysis of a statistical conundrum, chiming in with a particularly important-to-note fact, or an opinion you happen to agree with. You can give positive rep if someone posts a joke or photo that makes you laugh or simply amuses you. On the other hand, you can give negative rep for a remark that you feel is nasty, mean-spirited, or just plain stupid. Basically, you can give rep for whatever you feel deserves cheers or jeers.

HEY, HOW DO THESE GREEN "PIPS" WORK?

The number of rep points you give is determined by the number of pips you currently have. Once you have one green pip, your repping, positive or negative, is worth one reputation point. When you have two green pips, your repping is worth two points, and so on. With 11 green pips, that person's positive or negative repping is worth 11 points.

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE HAVE MORE PIPS THAN OTHERS? HOW CAN I BE COOL LIKE THEM?

Your first 5 green pips (the dark green ones) are acquired at the rate of one for every 100 reputation points (after the first one). Therefore, at 100 rep points you get your second pip, at 200 you get your third one, and so on up to 5. Beyond that (the light green ones) you acquire pips at a rate of one every 200 reputation points. Pips can be acquired at this latter rate indefinitely, or so the legend goes...

WHAT ABOUT THOSE EVIL-LOOKING RED PIPS?

If your reputation is down near zero and you receive negative reputation that brings you under zero, you enter "red pip" territory. This is a warning flag to everyone (especially the site administrators) that you're on thin ice. This usually happens as a result of nastiness, flaming, or flagrant disregard for proper English grammar, among other things. Such a precarious situation can be remedied, however, by obtaining positive rep.

ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?

Indeed, yes. There are a few things. Firstly, you can only give rep points a few times a day (I'm unclear on the number), so choose wisely. Secondly, if you rep the same person a lot, you may start getting a message imploring you to spread some of that rep around. Do so. There are other people saying things worth rewarding (or punishing). Thirdly, I will add to and amend this thread as information becomes more clear to me (or as I realize I've left big questions unanswered).

Scoring in the green pip world

0-99, 1
100-199, 2
200-299, 3
300-399, 4
400-499, 5
500-699, 6
700-899, 7
900-1,099, 8
1,100-1,299, 9
1,300-1,499, 10
1,500+, 11 - the end of the pip universe, there is not a 12th pip

Also, for negative rep points, I try to limit mine to those who explicitly break the board rules, or attack you or someone else. Or is a complete or utter PIA. I wouldn't give them out for people who just disagree with you.

Now I think you guys should try it out on me :D haha just kidding.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to let you guys know that until you hit a certain number of posts (not sure the #, maybe the mods can help me out here), your rep is neither green nor red, it is just gray-which doesn't give or deduct points. So if you have less than probably like 100 posts or 50 posts, once gain don't know the number, it is useless to rep.

Once you have posted a certain amount, your approvals or disapprovals begin to actually count for points.

Also, if you want the person to know who gave the approval or disapproval, put it in the message. It shows up as an anonymous approval or disapproval otherwise.

OOOPs don't think I'll be posting here either. What a wank.

Billy
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but I think this whole thing is stupid. Just something more to create a superiority complex among some...acting like they're better than other posters because of this or because of that.

Personally, I don't need it. I already know I'm superior.

I couldn't help but give you positive rep for this post.

chico
01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I wish instead of rep points we could give out little smiley faces. I would bombard ATL.

Billy
01-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I wish instead of rep points we could give out little smiley faces. I would bombard ATL.

I wanted to give you more positive rep for your genius move of duplicating DC's score guess for tonight's game...and it wouldn't let me. It commanded me to "spread the rep around" (since I already gave you some).

Hysterical.

chico
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I wanted to give you more positive rep for your genius move of duplicating DC's score guess for tonight's game...and it wouldn't let me. It commanded me to "spread the rep around" (since I already gave you some).

Hysterical.

I sincerely hope that is the last time I duplicate any of DC's "scoring."

Drew's Crew
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Easy ***, I was just trying to clue in some people on the new board. I am not in any way attempting to create a caste system. It is just that a lot of people finds these things fun to do, so I figured I would give everyone an idea of how it works.

PM Thor
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM

I understand your concern about it. But really, who cares? I don't care if I get little green pegs next to my name whatsoever. Don't dismiss the board wholesale just because of one feature that you don't like. At least wait until the mods get to destroy you.

Oh wait. I forgot.

Drew's Crew
01-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Haha Touche

Snipe
01-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Kevin has some anger managment issues. I think we should all send KFX a "friend's request" just to confuse him and tick him off.

Svoboda
01-17-2008, 07:42 AM
For those of you that have joined the Varsity Club and do not like the reputation setup, you can turn your rep off if you so choose. It is one of your options within the User CP.

Svoboda
01-17-2008, 07:44 AM

It's just something fun the developers of the forum software added to allow fellow posters to "rep" when someone makes a good post. In all of my time around the system, I've seen very few folks get negative rep.

Snipe
01-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Just give me time.

blobfan
01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I've seen very few folks get negative rep.
Give it time.

There's a vindictive part of me that really likes the option of venting my frustration with flamers who come from other schools and don't even bother to use the darned spell-check, or caps, or punctuation, or common sense...

I would never down-rep someone, though, just for coming from another school or disagreeing with me. I'd hate to see rep wars develop.

Drew's Crew
01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
yeah I would only negative rep someone if they were obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious, or personally attacking others.

Stonebreaker
01-17-2008, 03:47 PM
I would definitely suggest that when you rep someone (at least positively), put down your name so that they know who it came from.

Drew's Crew
02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Bump.

I know a ton of people have logged on to this board since this post became obscure, so I am bumping it for all the newer members to check out.

BlueGuy
02-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Bump.

I know a ton of people have logged on to this board since this post became obscure, so I am bumping it for all the newer members to check out.

And hoping they will rep you. You're such a rep whore.

Drew's Crew
02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Well that isn't why I did it, but even if it was whatever I whore myself out for is my own business.