PDA

View Full Version : One and Definitely Under-Done

Muskie
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
The latest installment from one of Xavierhoops.com's feature writers:

One and Definitely Under-done
by wkrq59

Since the NCAA Final Four ended with Kansas' championship, a whole flock of collegiate one-and-dones joined Oden and the Departures—No, it's not a rock band or vocal group, but they will soon be making more money than their contemporaries and former classmates.

Being a faithful poster on Musketeer Madness, my friend and Xavier's, Muskieman, asked his breathern what one-and-dones do to a collegiate program and are they a good or bad?

Are O.J.Mayo, Bill Walker, Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley and Kevin Love hurting college basketball?
I shout a loud YES ! I truly believe one-and-done will subvert the true purpose of a university, to educate.
Student athletes should be students first and athletes second. If the practice is allowed to continue thanks to a sorry NBA rule which requires a player to be age 19 before he can be eligible for the league's draft, it will eventually turn collegiate basketball programs at all but the Ivy League level or at schools which offer no athletic grants-in-aid, into even greater professional basketball farm clubs than they already are (continue reading (http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4145)).