PDA

View Full Version : Your the Man

MADXSTER
04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Okay, you're Sean Miller and every player that you've been recruiting in the 09' class wants to come to Xavier. You have (2) schollies to give. Only two! You cannot take guys who are not on the list and you cannot take guys who have already committed. Who do you take?

To me the 1st choice is not very difficult.

Ari Stewart 6' 7"/190 small forward - Fills both the position of need and probably best ability.

Major Need - We need a small forward. With CJ and BJ gone after next year that would mean Derek Brown would be our only small foward and that's if he's not playing the power forward position. Our next option would be 6' 5" Dante Jackson or 6' 4" Brian Walsh if we wish to play small.

The 2nd choice is much more difficult so let's use some deduction. PG and SG are not a major need with the 08' class coming. I would probably cry at not taking Mfon and second guess myself for the next 4 years.

So, do I go with a PF, C or need to get another SF in case Ari gets hurt. Good Bigs are hard to get.

My review list:

Small Fowards

Naji Hibbert 6' 6ish"/195 I love his play and he can play the SF position in my opionion.
Tevin Baskin 6' 6"/185 Plays like a beast and plays very good D
Brian Oliver 6' 6"/190 He's ranked in the top 100 for a reason

Power Forwards

Kammeon Holsey 6' 7"/190 Tough inside the paint
Terrance Shannon 6' 7"/190 Tough inside the paint
Torin Walker 6' 9"/220 Not on Xavierhoops list but should be
James Still 6' 8"/205 Tough inside the paint
Jeremy Olsen 6' 10"/220 We'd have our Twin towers.
Dan Jennings 6' 8"/240 Bring in the beafenater. Great size to go with Frease.

I get a headache just thinking about this. I'd be thrilled with any of these guys. I'd be thrilled if Xavier got any two of these guys.

My short list:

Hell I can't do it. I'll post this and do some more thinking.

kyxu
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Stewart and Baskin, in my opinion, would be ideal. Both are supremely athletic, with tons of upside, but more importantly both reciprocate the love to Miller and Co. I personally think Baskin could commit to X this Spring. Just my opinion. Stewart may be more tough, but we're in as great of shape as any team Ari's scouting.

X Factor
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Definitely Ari Stewart.

The next guy would be either Kammeon Holsey, Tevin Baskin, or James Still.

Ok, so that's three guys, but they would all be great committments.

If I could take someone not on the list, it would be 6'3 SG Omari Lawrence.

MADXSTER
04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Factor, you look almost as confused as I do deciding who you would take. You're Miller and there are no wrong decisions. they're all great. Just pick someone you pansy.

Also, I would say Torin Walker probably intrigues me the most. I would take Naji over Omari given the opportunity.

xavierj
04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Durand Scott will be in play as well. Yes he is a SG but he is big time and he is tight with Book. You can bet that Xavier will go hard to try to get him but he is wanted by just about everyone. He is not a pure shooter but rather a big time scorer who hates to lose. I can see Xavier taking 3 and my preference would be Stewart, Baskin & Scott. After that it would be Hibbert, Lawrence and Terrance Shannon. Either way I think Xavier will land a couple of big time players.

waggy
04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I can see Xavier taking 3...

Hmmm. Interesting. This makes me want the "Depth Chart" and "Eligibility" pages we have here at XH.com filled out.

kyxu
04-22-2008, 06:44 AM
With the quality players Miller and Co. are pursuing for 2009, but the limited number of spots to fill (2), I just shake my head at the Andrew Taylor scholarship. Miller knows more what's best for this team than any of us, but I have not heard a solid reason why a D-II transfer is given a scholarship that we would typically give to Rivals150 players (Frease, Lyons, Holloway) or Gatorade Players of the Year in their respective states (Walsh, Redford).

I'm sure he's a great body for practice and someone to pound on the first team, but that's what walk-ons are for.

xu95
04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I also see Xavier taking three. And those three if they can get them are Stewart/Baskin/Scott. The overage will work itself out.

xu95

kyxu
04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I also see Xavier taking three.

xu95

So whom do you guys see leaving prematurely after this year? Or is that topic off limits?

I gotta say, I would not be surprised if Derrick had a fantastic year and bolted "early" for the draft (I say "early" because he should have his degree by the end of his junior year of athletic eligibility due to the RS).

X Factor
04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
If Sean takes 3 guys, I would think he would want a SF, a PF/C, and maybe a SG or another big man.

Should Derrick have a great year and leave for the NBA, that would leave us pretty thin at the PF and C position. Basically, Love and Frease would be our only returning big men if Derrick doesn't come back.

I know Sean and company have this all planned out already.

I just can't wait until we get our first '09 committment.

XULouie
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
X Factor,

You forgot about Jamel McLean as one of our big guys coming back should Derrick bolt for the NBA. I don't think Derrick Brown will leave early and David West gives him all the evidence in the world not to. But, if he does, I like McLean, Love and Freezer returning.

Muskie
04-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Hmmm. Interesting. This makes me want the "Depth Chart" and "Eligibility" pages we have here at XH.com filled out.

I actually worked on them on Sunday. They're coming.

Muskie
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd like to see X add James Still. He's a C that wants to play PF. He'd also be great depth for D. Brown in his senior year.

MADXSTER
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Xavier does such a great job at developing the big guys that I think that anyone of the bigs would excel in the Xavier program. Holsey, Shannen and Still would become beast. Torin Walker runs the court well and plays more like a center at 6'9"/220. Olsen's game is similar to but not quite Frease' game.

If we end up having three to give I'd like Ari, any of the bigs, and another SF/SG. At this point I don't see D Brown leaving early. It worked well for D West. If the thought did cross D Brown's mind, I have no doubt that he'd contact D West and get his input. I'd be surprised if D West didn't say stay in school.

X Factor
04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
X Factor,

You forgot about Jamel McLean as one of our big guys coming back should Derrick bolt for the NBA. I don't think Derrick Brown will leave early and David West gives him all the evidence in the world not to. But, if he does, I like McLean, Love and Freezer returning.

Thank you. I completely forgot about Jamel. That makes me feel better.

Holsey and Still would be great frontcourt options for '09.

Obviously, Ari would be the perfect SF if Sean can land him.

MADXSTER
04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
I'd like to see X add James Still. He's a C that wants to play PF. He'd also be great depth for D. Brown in his senior year.

Because we have a true center in Frease, Xavier can now play a true power forward instead of just converting a PF into a Centers position.

xu95
04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
So whom do you guys see leaving prematurely after this year? Or is that topic off limits?

I gotta say, I would not be surprised if Derrick had a fantastic year and bolted "early" for the draft (I say "early" because he should have his degree by the end of his junior year of athletic eligibility due to the RS).

I have no information to support my theory. But as you mentioned, we have a player that might not be best suited for a scholorship. I know some people don't like to think it, but those are only yearly scholorships.

xu95

Muskie
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
The history seems to be that one scholarship turns over every year. For whatever reason. While we officially have two on the books, it wouldn't surprise me if we had three to work with eventually.

OX09
04-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Ari, then Holsey, then Mfon.