PDA

View Full Version : A10 $$$'s

xudash
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I hope LaSalle is enjoying the free ride and I hope Linda can find a way to finance all those twinkies she probably has been knocking down on that salary:

Conference ATLANTIC 10 BASKETBALL
Income NCAA tournaments $3,892,500
Atlantic 10 basketball tournaments $1,520,400
Television and advertising $963,600
Sponsorships $562,400
Dividend income $119,500
Expenses Conference revenue sharing $1,969,900
Championship administration $1,647,900
Conference revenue sharing – member dues $1,500,000
Salaries, payroll taxes, benefits $1,193,400
Television and advertising costs $987,200
NCAA student opportunity assistance $635,200
NCAA student special assistance $391,500
Meetings/convention/travel $341,900
Sponsorship commissions/expenses $275,200
Officials bureau $197,600
Rent and utilities $129,800

Revenuesplit Xavier $500,917
St. Joseph’s $469,960
Temple $392,094
George Washington $290,210
Dayton $286,887
Richmond $215,840
LaSalle $203,114
Charlotte $194,221
Massachusetts $185,481
St. Bonaventure $184,425
Rhode Island $176,845
Duquesne $157,711
Fordham $145,042
Saint Louis $67,161
Total $3,469,908
Average $247,851

CommissionerComp Linda Bruno
Compensation $291,792
Benefit plans and deferred compensation $29,179
Expense account/other allowances $9,000
Total $329,971

http://blog.al.com/bn/2008/02/show_me_the_money_division_i_a.html?appSession=441 4679837135

XU 87
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Why does LaSalle get almost 200k and St. Louis gets only 67k?

xeus
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Why does LaSalle get almost 200k and St. Louis gets only 67k?

That 67k is SLU's net after factoring in the hot dogs Majerus ate in Atlantic City.

bourbonman
04-18-2008, 11:40 AM
That 67k is SLU's net after factoring in the hot dogs Majerus ate in Atlantic City.

LOL Sad but possibly true! :D

Muskie
04-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I think SLU is still only getting partial shares for joining the league. I think they still have two more years before they get a "full share".

xeus
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I think SLU is still only getting partial shares for joining the league. I think they still have two more years before they get a "full share".

That's what I thought at first, but look how much Charlotte got, and they joined together. I like my hot dog theory.

MD Muskie
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Then why is Charlotte getting nearly three times as much? Shouldn't they still be on that partial share plan as well?

Muskie
04-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah... no idea then. I'll post over at Billikens.com and see what they say?

X-man
04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
A better question is how can the A10 pay Bruno over $370K (basketball and football combined) and get so little in return?

Muskie
04-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Apparently Charlotte is still getting some credits from their time in their last conference. That's the best we can figure over at the SLU site.

xudash
04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
A better question is how can the A10 pay Bruno over $370K (basketball and football combined) and get so little in return?

The question of the hour.

And a proper response is that the league leadership has FINALLY taken care of that rather large problem.

xu drew
04-18-2008, 03:00 PM
And a proper response is that the league leadership has FINALLY taken care of that rather large problem.

was that pun intended?

Masterofreality
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
How about this?:

Television and advertising revenue: $963,600
Television and advertising COSTS: $987,200

The numbers above are from 2006. It would be interesting to see what the TV dollars are now with the CCCPCBSCSTV deal. I hope that they're substantial, because the coverage is worse and BESPN is obviously pissed off at the league.

xudash
04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
was that pun intended?

Yes, absolutely.

payday
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm glad to see this was 2006 data - I'd hate to think our 3 NCAA tournament wins this year were worth only $10K each over what St. Joe's received.

boozehound
04-18-2008, 05:40 PM

Rep points for that post. I almost spit my drink out!!!!

Snipe
04-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Check the link and check out the Big East. DePaul is hauling in over 1.5 mil. Nova is making over 2.6 mil. The basketball only schools are never going to split from the Big East unless they are forced out. Talk about punching your meal ticket.

Impressive that we compete on a high level given what we have to do on our own.

GuyFawkes38
04-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Check the link and check out the Big East. DePaul is hauling in over 1.5 mil. Nova is making over 2.6 mil. The basketball only schools are never going to split from the Big East unless they are forced out. Talk about punching your meal ticket.

Impressive that we compete on a high level given what we have to do on our own.

After keeping Miller this year, I'm more than confident about X's position (perhaps too confident).

Do we really need to be affiliated with a major conference? As the years pass, the answer appears to be leaning towards NO.

Snipe
04-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Not every program has seat licences. We do have them, and we have to have them. We don't have a huge alumni base. We don't have the conference check coming in like DePaul, Marquette or Villanova. Our program is dependent on our alumni being active and supportive of the program at a high level. They aren't milking us for everything they can, they are doing what they need to do to keep us competative.

I am happy that the money is spent well. I am happy that we have alums that care and have passion and a fan base that is dedicated to the program. We could have a combination of a rash of injuries, sickness, freshman inexperience and have a down year next year. We would still sell out the Cintas. Then in 2009-10, we would be back and rearing to go selling it out again. Nothing is going to break this program.

Every year we extend the success makes me more confident about X's position. We just had arguably the best year that we have ever had. On paper, our recruting class is the finest ever to grace Victory Parkway. Our coach just said no to the Indiana job, and then took one of their best recruits.

I don't think you are overconfident my friend. This is life in paradise.

xudash
04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
After keeping Miller this year, I'm more than confident about X's position (perhaps too confident).

Do we really need to be affiliated with a major conference? As the years pass, the answer appears to be leaning towards NO.

Sorry GuyF38, but that isn't the way to look at it. Strategically speaking, a program should work to maximize every program element to the best of its ability. A conference affiliation is a big piece of the puzzle. We can do better than where we stand at present, either by forcing positive change within the A10 to strengthen and improve it, assuming we aren't going anywhere else, or trade up to a better league composition and, thus, probably more revenue.

As the years pass, we don't need to have a disposition towards settling for things.

wkrq59
04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Dash,
At this point Xavier has to effect change in the A10. The BE is not going to be split into FB and BKB any time soon. And there is no way we want to get into a conference that is set up for football.
Long range, I see some things in the A10 changing, including:
*Elimination of football at all member schools. Bring it down to club level. Now this will have to be done over a four year period to amortize the scholarships that are given.
*With the money saved, institutions such as Fordham, LaSalle, St. Joe's and even Duquesne will have to bring their facilities into compliance with new standards, one of which being an arena of 10,000 or more seats and an eventual average attendance of more than 8,000 a year. If you can't build one for a number of reasons, rent one. The Palestra, the Gardens, the Meadowlands, or wherever.
*Improve the damned TV package immediately.
*Hire a young, dynamic marketing manager and turn him or her loose. Schools apparel and souvenirs etc should be saturate marketed in their area.
*Suffice to say, the new commissioner should be young, dynamic, have a personality and an appearance that lends itself to presenting the best image of the league possible. Rick Majerus is a funny man, but after a while, all anyone sees is his corpulent presence. That is just an example. Blutarsky is out. Let her stay out and no golden parachute.
* Re-establish the divisional play in conference. You play 6 games in the other division and 12 games in your own division, each one twice-h&h. A trip to UMass or Rhody every two years, ditto St. Bona should be enough and cost effective.
* Hold the tournament somewhere besides a deteriorating city even if it's fun right now. The Igloo in Pittsburgh, the Spectrum in Philly, US Bank Arena, Greensboro Coliseum or the arena where the Charlotte Bobcats play, and the Savic???SP Center in St. Louis in rotation.
*Play the first round of the tournament on the campus site of the higher seed and have all 14 teams participate, or have play-in games to reduce the field to 8 and play the remaining games at neutral site the way the MAC does.
*Establish a serious heirarchy of revenue sharing. If you don't go to the postseason tournament you only get .1 of a share.

xudash
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Dash,
At this point Xavier has to effect change in the A10. The BE is not going to be split into FB and BKB any time soon. And there is no way we want to get into a conference that is set up for football.
Long range, I see some things in the A10 changing, including:
*Elimination of football at all member schools. Bring it down to club level. Now this will have to be done over a four year period to amortize the scholarships that are given.
*With the money saved, institutions such as Fordham, LaSalle, St. Joe's and even Duquesne will have to bring their facilities into compliance with new standards, one of which being an arena of 10,000 or more seats and an eventual average attendance of more than 8,000 a year. If you can't build one for a number of reasons, rent one. The Palestra, the Gardens, the Meadowlands, or wherever.
*Improve the damned TV package immediately.
*Hire a young, dynamic marketing manager and turn him or her loose. Schools apparel and souvenirs etc should be saturate marketed in their area.
*Suffice to say, the new commissioner should be young, dynamic, have a personality and an appearance that lends itself to presenting the best image of the league possible. Rick Majerus is a funny man, but after a while, all anyone sees is his corpulent presence. That is just an example. Blutarsky is out. Let her stay out and no golden parachute.
* Re-establish the divisional play in conference. You play 6 games in the other division and 12 games in your own division, each one twice-h&h. A trip to UMass or Rhody every two years, ditto St. Bona should be enough and cost effective.
* Hold the tournament somewhere besides a deteriorating city even if it's fun right now. The Igloo in Pittsburgh, the Spectrum in Philly, US Bank Arena, Greensboro Coliseum or the arena where the Charlotte Bobcats play, and the Savic???SP Center in St. Louis in rotation.
*Play the first round of the tournament on the campus site of the higher seed and have all 14 teams participate, or have play-in games to reduce the field to 8 and play the remaining games at neutral site the way the MAC does.
*Establish a serious heirarchy of revenue sharing. If you don't go to the postseason tournament you only get .1 of a share.

q, I agree with your post.

As far as Xavier transitioning to a different conference involving Georgetown, et al is concerned, I still hold out some hope that the football schools will pull the trigger in 2010 and move on. As everyone knows, it is mostly about money. IF the football schools can come up with a television package for football and basketball that makes sense to them they could break away.

As far as the A10 is concerned, I'm stuck on wondering whether truly drastic action, by probably everyone's definition, is necessary at this point. The A10 needs to sieze the day. It needs to keep its momentum and drive itself back to its mid-90's position of national relevance and respect. It needs to take immediate action to make that happen.

What am I really suggesting? Standards are great and they should be implemented, but, in essence, no extended time should be put on the clock for LaSalle and Fordham to adhere to them. I don't want to hear that LossSalle has commissioned a study to look into forming a team that will decide upon the room in which the President and BoT of LaSalle will convene to consider a study focused on a facilities plan for power washing the exterior of Gola while also bringing in a brand new Oscar-Meyer wiener stand inside for concessions. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

14 teams is too big. Notwithstanding your comments about ratcheting the share distributions based on contributions, a denominator of 12 - better yet 10 - beats 14 any day. The current membership virtually locks in the ghetto dwellers that we have now.

LaSalle should never have been allowed into this league. It is superfluous; it is under-resourced, long removed from success and the third wheel in a pro-sports town.

Fordham is outrageous. I can't think of a finer school that is as clueless as Fordham. As an institution, Fordham wants to fancy itself as a Georgetown or BC. Mark my words, assuming the present courses of action be Fordham and Xavier, respectively, Xavier will blow by Fordham in prestige within 5 to 10 years.

SBU? What a tragedy. Even if it comes back, whatever that means to anyone, I doubt it can come back in such a fashion as to compete in this modern era of big budgets, big fan bases and big facilities.

The fact that Duquesne is fighting its way back may mean that the A10 settles at 12 and not 10. Who survives that 12th spot: Fordham or SBU?

Yes, I do see a world where schools can be eliminated from a conference. I believe Temple would agree with me, at least with respect to its football program.