PDA

View Full Version : Slap in the face!

XU-XHI
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Here is what Travis Ford said during his OSU introductory press conference. He is talking aobut what he told the UMass players as the reason for leaving.

"as I told them when I met with the team last night, this is too good of an opportunity to pass by. I said, my goal is to win a national championship, and then I looked at my team and said, 'I think I can do that at Oklahoma State."

Talk about a slap in the face to those kids sitting in the locker room losing their coach. He might as well have said, you guys are great but you're just not good enough which is why you are here at UMass. I wonder what he told them to get them there. Come to Umass becuause you are a decent player with little to no chance of winning a championship, but I like you so come and play here.

He may not believe he can win a championship at UMass but you don't under any circumstances say what he said to a group of kids who gave their all to you.

Say you like the fit at OSU, say you like the conference better, the kids can read between the lines but you don't do what Ford did.

Good riddance from the A10 Travis.

And how much more do we appreciate Sean Miller!

Here is the link to the press conference. http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=200&ATCLID=1442524

Juice
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
I completely agree. He could have just said that I want to make a lot more money and OSU is going to give me that money, and I think the players would at least understand that.

ATL Muskie
04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
It also makes him sound like a wuss and that he has to actually work hard to win at UMass. Telling these kids at UMass that also tells them that he doesn't want to have to work for success. That's weak.

XU05and07
04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Those comments are like a teacher telling a student that he is stupid...like a father telling his daughter that she is fat

Thinking about it though, I think he meant the story to build up OK State in his press conference. I doubt that is truly what was said in the locker room or wherever he met with the team. Nevertheless, the story is a slap in the face. Coaches need to pick and choose their words carefully. This isn't the NBA with egos galore. This is college basketball with impressionable and fragile young men that want to become solid men in the future. The coaches responsibility is to never belittle a group of guys, but instead to help them grow. I know that if I called one of my 6th, 7th, and 8th graders that I coach in soccer "retarded" or "pathetic" or say they are wasting my time, I would have parents all over me about it. This is a different level, but the principal is still the same.

UMass is a better team this coming year, this past season, and hopefully into the future. Travi$ Fraud has made himself enemy #1 in Massachusetts. He will probably be more vilified than Thad was here, and rightfully so. Atleast Thad never said anything negative about the university or his former players.

X Factor
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I've read many stories from UK fans that have been around Ford a lot, and the general consensus is that he is a big time jerk.

This is just further proof.

Thank God for Sean Miller!!

Muskie
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Maybe Mr. Ford ought to concentrate on winning a COnference TOurnament Game or NCAA first round game before thinking about a National Championship. Baby steps Mr. Ford, Baby steps.

ATL Muskie
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
I think he's a prime example of one of those "grass is not always greener" kind of guys. Dan Monson comes to mind. Some people just think jumping to the wonderful BCS school will solve everything.

Xman95
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
In Ford's defense, at least he held a meeting with his players to discuss the move!

boozehound
04-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I don't know why Ford was so highly sought after anyways. His accomplishments at UMass weren't exactly staggering.

Plus its not like Oklahoma State is a powerhouse basketball program.

xsteve1
04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
When Sean turned down an interview with OSU I believe he said if your looking for somebody who'll interview for anything go talk to Travis Ford. Sean was right and I really hope Ford gets slapped around and is out of a job in three years.

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
OK state, with all do respect to my favorite ESPN commentator, is not a good job.

The OU Bball program challenges OSU in an under populated state which favors football. Recruiting can't be easy.

The Big 12 itself is dominated by 2 teams (ku and Texas) in basketball. Like the state of OK, the Big 12 is in a region which is under populated compared to other BCS conferences and favors football.

The only hope for the Big 12 basketball athletic departments, outside of KU and Texas, is to higher a charismatic coach who can recruit nationally. I don't think Travis Ford is that guy.

boozehound
04-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I also can't imagine that a lot of big-time college basketball players, the type who are recruited nationally, want to go play basketball in Oklahoma.

XURunner85
04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I kind of hope somehow those two teams meet in the NIT or NCAA tourney, what motivation the UMass players would have to put a hurt on him.

Juice
04-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I also can't imagine that a lot of big-time college basketball players, the type who are recruited nationally, want to go play basketball in Oklahoma.

I see your point, but big time recruits go to terrible places like Manhattan, Kansas. Granted KSU had the services of one Mr. Huggins, and Travis Ford is no Huggins (in many different many ways), but big time recruits have gone to worse places than Oklahoma.