PDA

View Full Version : UMASS Job Open (Now taking Applications)

Muskie
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
With Travis Ford off to Oklahoma St., discuss the Umass search here.

GoMuskies
04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I will open with Kevin Willard.

xeus
04-16-2008, 01:14 PM
John Groce?

Muskie
04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Chris Mack?

American X
04-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Big Deli

XU05and07
04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
In another thread, I already removed my name...press conference to follow

Frank D.
04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Big Deli

Knowing Xavier's history with Big Deli, he would be named the head coach at UMass, they'd beat Xavier twice this upcoming season, and then he would be fired and never heard from again.

Muskie
04-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Doesn't one of the Memphis Assistants have ties to UMASS (Kellog i think)?

DAllen15
04-16-2008, 02:54 PM
<<I will open with Kevin Willard.>>

That 12-20 record at Iona might be a tough sell to the alumni.

blobfan
04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I think it would be nice to see an current or former XU add't there. I'd like to see a current or former XU assistant on every coaching staff in the A-10. I think we need to start plotting our takeover.

xavierdude
04-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I think we need to start plotting our takeover.

That was done back in the 90's...anything else would just be an insult :)

GoMuskies
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
<<I will open with Kevin Willard.>>

That 12-20 record at Iona might be a tough sell to the alumni.

Sure, but isn't that an 11 win improvement over the previous year?

PM Thor
04-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Big Deli

Raise with Vitaly Potapenko.

XU05and07
04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
The UMass board keeps clamoring about Barbee...name recognition because he's been recruiting for Calipari

xuab
04-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I was reading some of the articles on Ford and the UMASS board. Seems that the new contract had not been signed yet due to some administrative details. So, that means his old buyout is in effect...$200k. On the UMASS blog, the writer wondered why OSU didn't go after a bigger name like Stallings or Miller. FWIW, someone on their blog posted that OSU did contact Miller and he said no as he believes he can win a national championship at X.

Reading the UMASS board is very reminiscent to X in 2004.

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/blog/index.cfm/2008/4/16/Still-waiting

Muskie
04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Not a good day at Umasshoops.com

xeus
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Brad Brownell?

Chris Mack?

XU05and07?

MADXSTER
04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Stop bringing up Xavier coaches....it's bad Karma. I want our asst coaches to be like Dean Smith's...here for a long time. We have a good thing going...let's don't screw it up.

xeus
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't want assistants to be here forever. I want guys who grow out of their positions and are either ready to take over at Xavier should the need arise, or who need to spread their wings elsewhere. Chris Mack is ready for a head coaching position. Within the next couple of years he'll get an opportunity and he'll take it - naturally.

xuab
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't want assistants to be here forever. I want guys who grow out of their positions and are either ready to take over at Xavier should the need arise, or who need to spread their wings elsewhere. Chris Mack is ready for a head coaching position. Within the next couple of years he'll get an opportunity and he'll take it - naturally.

At the banquet last night, Sean specifically said that Mack and Whitford would be head coaches soon. Part of me wondered if something was imminent. It might just be that Sean has all the confidence in them, but when I heard it, it struck me as something more.

MADXSTER
04-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I obviously am going to have a hard time when my kids leave the nest. You do everything you possibly can to help them become self reliant and independent responsible adults but when the time comes it's going to suck big time.

Also, I prefer the Big Mack recruiting for us not against us.

GuyFawkes38
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Screw Ford. I've never liked him in the first place.

WHY ON EARTH HAS TRAVIS FORD RECEIVED SO MUCH MEDIA ATTENTION FOR DOING SO LITTLE AT UMASS????? it pisses me off. I think it stems from his connection to ktuck.

Anyways, Brownell would be an incredible hire.

XU05and07
04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Brad Brownell?

Chris Mack?

XU05and07?

I took my name out of consideration...they can't afford my buyout

blobfan
04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
That was done back in the 90's...anything else would just be an insult :)

XU ass'ts took a bunch of A-10 jobs in the 90's and the A-10 is still inundated w/ crap? How did that happen?

xeus
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM
At the banquet last night, Sean specifically said that Mack and Whitford would be head coaches soon. Part of me wondered if something was imminent.

I wondered the same thing.

mr. zimpher
04-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Brad Brownell?

Chris Mack?

XU05and07?

Let me premise this post by saying I really like Chris Mack. I think he's a hell of a recruiter and a pretty solid guy. A head coach at a "fairly major" DI program he is not though, yet. He is still pretty young and his tutelage has been drawn from head coaches that were young and still learning during those respective periods as well. Mack's only head coaching experience was at an all girls high school here in cincy (mt. notre dame). IMO he's not prepared to take on all the responsibilities of a head coach at a place like Umass yet. Unfortunately I think he'd be doomed to fail in that situation. I know, I know, Sean had no head coaching experience when he took over at X either. The difference being, Sean had been an assistant for 12 or 13 years under established coaches like Charlie Coles, Herb Sendek, & beaknose. Mack hasn't quite been groomed under the same pedigree for as long.

XULouie
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Im with you guys on Travis Ford. What the heck did he do so well at UMass besides self promote? The guy took his name out of 2 head coaching vacancies the day before said school announced ANOTHER head coach. What a tool.

I don't know who runs his marketing firm but they're doing one heck of a job. No defense at UMass AND not 1 conference tournament win in his 3 years at UMass. 0-3 in A-10 Tournament. NICE HIRE by the billionaire at Oklahoma State. (Read last line with sarcasm please)

D-West & PO-Z
04-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Let me premise this post by saying I really like Chris Mack. I think he's a hell of a recruiter and a pretty solid guy. A head coach at a "fairly major" DI program he is not though, yet. He is still pretty young and his tutelage has been drawn from head coaches that were young and still learning during those respective periods as well. Mack's only head coaching experience was at an all girls high school here in cincy (mt. notre dame). IMO he's not prepared to take on all the responsibilities of a head coach at a place like Umass yet. Unfortunately I think he'd be doomed to fail in that situation. I know, I know, Sean had no head coaching experience when he took over at X either. The difference being, Sean had been an assistant for 12 or 13 years under established coaches like Charlie Coles, Herb Sendek, & beaknose. Mack hasn't quite been groomed under the same pedigree for as long.

I agree with you there.

GuyFawkes38
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
The Travis Ford situation at Umass always had an ugly, awkward aspect to it.

Umass should seek a solid coach with northeastern roots. someone who will honestly grow to love the school. Screw Ford.

I can't wait until he's fired.

Xman95
04-17-2008, 01:40 AM
I hear this Bruiser Flint is a good coach...maybe UMass will look at him!

Smails
04-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Raise with Vitaly Potapenko.

See and raise Serge Zwicker

dfcapp
04-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I'll call with Shante Rogers

pizza delivery
04-17-2008, 10:27 AM
This is salt in the wounds for me, I was in line for this job until my 4th graders went 0-12 this year.

xavierj
04-17-2008, 10:27 AM
XU ass'ts took a bunch of A-10 jobs in the 90's and the A-10 is still inundated w/ crap? How did that happen?

Maybe I am missing something but who were the Xavier assistants who took a bunch of A-10 jobs in the 90's. The only Xavier assistants that I know of who have been or are coaches are Skip Prosser, Bobby Gonazalez, Dino Gaudio, Sean Miller, Mark Schmidt & Louie Orr. Did I miss anyone? And other then Mark Schmidt who were the coaches who coached in the A-10?

Muskie
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I've looked over the Umass board... they hold Pitino and Calipari in high regard over there. (I guess Pitino is an alum?). Many want either of those two to suggest a replacement... i find that interesting.

Tardy Turtle
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Pitino is indeed a UMass alumnus.

blobfan
04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe I am missing something but who were the Xavier assistants who took a bunch of A-10 jobs in the 90's. The only Xavier assistants that I know of who have been or are coaches are Skip Prosser, Bobby Gonazalez, Dino Gaudio, Sean Miller, Mark Schmidt & Louie Orr. Did I miss anyone? And other then Mark Schmidt who were the coaches who coached in the A-10?

That was my question too. You'll have to ask xavierdude.

GoMuskies
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I've looked over the Umass board... they hold Pitino and Calipari in high regard over there. (I guess Pitino is an alum?). Many want either of those two to suggest a replacement... i find that interesting.

This is why I think Kevin Willard could be their guy.

OX09
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
It's a shame Ford didn't make up his mind earlier. Then UMass could've gone after Keno Davis who embraced a move to the east coast (Providence). Not suggesting tht Davis would've gone to UMass. But many would prefer the UMass job over the Providence job.

DC Muskie
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM

I have no idea why this is the case. Pitino, while an alum, is in the same business and I find it weird that a school who reached a Final Four in 1996 and can do it again someday, would listen to the advice of a coach in another conference tell them that they should hire the next up and coming guy that he mentored. It seems like UMass is setting itself up to have this repeat in a few years.

I hope Xavier never gets to this point.

xeus
04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I hope Xavier never gets to this point.

No kidding.

"Hey, Thad, Mike Bobinski here. Gotta minute? Just wanted to pick your brain for a sec."

Xman95
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
"Hey, Thad, Mike Bobinski here. Gotta minute? Just wanted to pick your brain for a sec."

I considered picking your nose, but that would take way more than a second.

(OK, that was a little wrong, but...)

XU05and07
04-18-2008, 08:28 AM
UMass' board is reacting just like we did when Thad left. They nicknamed him Travi$ Fraud...that's pretty good in my opinion

SM#24
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I heard on the radio by a "college basketball insider" (can't remeber if it was ESPN's or Fox's, but it was an Andy Katz like guy), that it could be a battle between Calipari and Pitino to get "their guy" in. The interesting twist is supposedly Cal and Pitino do not like each other.

The names I've heard so far are Kellogg and Barbee, both UMass alums.

BiggieXU
04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Kellogg it is...

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3359096)