PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Cleveland Browns schedule

Frank D.
04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, the NFL schedules came out today and the Browns have at least 5 prime-time nationally televised games, including 3 Monday Night Football games.

The bad news (not really news, as we have known the divisions we play for a while) is that we play the AFC South and NFC East (arguably the 2 toughest divisions). The good news is that possibly the 3 toughest non-divisional games of the season (Giants, Cowboys, Colts) are all at home.

I know all you Bengals fans couldn't care less, but we Browns fans have been waiting a long time to get this type of national exposure. I can't wait for the season to start.

Frank D.
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Here is a link to the complete NFL schedule:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807c555e&template=without-video&confirm=true&icampaign=MB_Schedule

AdamtheFlyer
04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I honestly think the Browns are ripe for a Bengal like debacle of a season, especially with a tough schedule. A schizo QB, and aging RB, and potential locker room havoc causers being brought in...that's not really what wins in today's NFL, regardless of talent level. And they still can't defend the pass, and probably not the run either.

I'm just glad the Bengals aren't on primetime. Last year there were like 5 Sunday afternoons they didn't play. It was awful.

BiggieXU
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I honestly think the Browns are ripe for a Bengal like debacle of a season, especially with a tough schedule. A schizo QB, and aging RB, and potential locker room havoc causers being brought in...that's not really what wins in today's NFL, regardless of talent level. And they still can't defend the pass, and probably not the run either.

I'm just glad the Bengals aren't on primetime. Last year there were like 5 Sunday afternoons they didn't play. It was awful.
You been listening to Colin Cowherd talk about the Browns?

It will be sad to have Sundays without the Browns on but definitely is exciting to have all the primetime games. That said I think the schedule will doom the entire division this year. A wild card spot will be hard to come by. Hopefully the Browns can take out the Steelers at least once and maybe sneak away with the division crown, but sadly I don't feel it. Maybe that's just a lifetime as a Browns fan though.

991 Dana
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't think you'll have to worry about the Bengals getting too many primetime games any time in the near future.

Juice
04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
As a Bengals "fan", or should I saw native of Cincinnati, that franchise is dead to me. I do not get why people continue to shell out money to an organization that does not care about the city or its fans. The front office is incompentent and cheap, the coaches are pansies who cannot stand up to their own players, and the players (not all of them) are either criminals or malcontents who whine about plays run for them or the money they receive from a contract they just signed.

I will continue to watch their games on Sundays (which they all are on Sunday this year) but I could care less about where they finish or who they sign or who is suspended. Bengals games are just something for me to watch on Sundays and the drunk hillbillies can have Paul Brown every gameday for all I care.

XU05and07
04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Earlier today...PTI's Mike Wilbon said that the Browns will win the AFC...I was waiting for him to say North...but he said AFC

AdamtheFlyer
04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
You been listening to Colin Cowherd talk about the Browns?

Haven't listened to that time slot more than twice since Mr Tony left.

I call them as I see them. They're only good on offense when they're QB is on, and they're not good on defense at all. Shaun Rogers was an awful pickup. I cheered when the Bengals failed to complete the trade.

jdm2000
04-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Colin Cowherd is so far and away the worst national sports show that it's ridiculous.

D-West & PO-Z
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, the NFL schedules came out today and the Browns have at least 5 prime-time nationally televised games, including 3 Monday Night Football games.

The bad news (not really news, as we have known the divisions we play for a while) is that we play the AFC South and NFC West (arguably the 2 toughest divisions). The good news is that possibly the 3 toughest non-divisional games of the season (Giants, Cowboys, Colts) are all at home.

I know all you Bengals fans couldn't care less, but we Browns fans have been waiting a long time to get this type of national exposure. I can't wait for the season to start.

This post lost all credibility when you said the NFC West is one of the arguably toughest divisions. That is laughable.

D-West & PO-Z
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
My list of toughest divisions:

1. NFC East
2. AFC South
3. AFC North
4. NFC South
5. AFC West
6. NFC North
7. NFC West
8. AFC East

NFC West is in the bottom 2, not top 2.

BENWAR
04-15-2008, 10:52 PM

The bad news (not really news, as we have known the divisions we play for a while) is that we play the AFC South and NFC West (arguably the 2 toughest divisions). The good news is that possibly the 3 toughest non-divisional games of the season (Giants, Cowboys, Colts) are all at home.

The AFC north plays the NFC east this year, not the NFC west.

Typical Browns fan that doesn't have his facts straight!!!

D-West & PO-Z
04-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Ok, that would make much more sense. Then I would agree with his statement. And that is right, they do play the NFC East because the Giants play all those teams this year.

Jumpy
04-16-2008, 06:06 AM

Unlike most Bengals fans, and all Steelers fans, I don't harbor any ill will towards the Browns. I'm happy for the success you guys have had recently, it only makes our division better. I have to agree with Adam, though. I fear that the Browns are a house of cards. Over spending for guys like McGinest, Steinbach, Bentley, Washington, etc. brought them instant credibility, but how long can it be sustained? This may be their best chance at the title, and they have a super big boy schedule. After this year, I'm afraid it will be back down the hill again.

Not that the outlook is any brighter for the Bengals. Our ship is springing leaks faster than they can even be noticed, let alone addressed. I mean, at the start of last year, our two strongets positions were OT and WR. Now, because of injuries and dumbarsery, drafting an OT or WR with the first round pick is a real possibility (well, not WR after Kelly only ran a 4.63, but OT is).

As a Bengals "fan", or should I saw native of Cincinnati, that franchise is dead to me. I do not get why people continue to shell out money to an organization that does not care about the city or its fans. The front office is incompentent and cheap, the coaches are pansies who cannot stand up to their own players, and the players (not all of them) are either criminals or malcontents who whine about plays run for them or the money they receive from a contract they just signed.

I will continue to watch their games on Sundays (which they all are on Sunday this year) but I could care less about where they finish or who they sign or who is suspended. Bengals games are just something for me to watch on Sundays and the drunk hillbillies can have Paul Brown every gameday for all I care.

We drunk hillbillies will enjoy our team with or without your approval, thank you very much. Just do us a favor... don't even bother watching them on Sundays. 'Cause I promise you this: if you try to jump back on the bandwagon with future success, I will personally beat you like a rented mule until you're dumber than Dave Shula. :D

Frank D.
04-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Sorry, was thinking one thing, and typing something else. I realize they play the NFC East. It's been corrected.

Frank D.
04-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Unlike most Bengals fans, and all Steelers fans, I don't harbor any ill will towards the Browns. I'm happy for the success you guys have had recently, it only makes our division better. I have to agree with Adam, though. I fear that the Browns are a house of cards. Over spending for guys like McGinest, Steinbach, Bentley, Washington, etc. brought them instant credibility, but how long can it be sustained? This may be their best chance at the title, and they have a super big boy schedule. After this year, I'm afraid it will be back down the hill again.

I disagree that they will regress after this year. The offensive line is solid, young, one of the best in the league last year (gave up 2nd fewest sacks in the league) and locked up for a while. Edwards, Winslow and Anderson are all 25 or younger. I'm not worried about Jamal Lewis being older - running backs in the NFL are a dime-a-dozen. We've got two young playmaking safeties who will only get better with more time. We've spent big money to lock up guys on the defensive line (Shaun Rogers is a questionable character, but there are a lot of these guys in the NFL and just because a guy has had some issues doesn't mean the locker room is about to explode).

All in all, it's a good time to be a Browns fan.

Jumpy
04-16-2008, 07:23 AM
I understand the optomism from your angle, but from an outsider's point of view, I see a lot of money spent on over the hill players on defense. On top of that, they traded the best corner in the AFC North to get a lazy, clubhouse cancer. The Browns are in the same boat as the Bengals were the past two seasons. They have an offense that can score nearly at will, but a defense that can't stop anyone.

Frank D.
04-16-2008, 07:27 AM

Okay, just to be fair . . .

1) If you look at DA's season, he was far from "schizo." He had a very good first half of the season. Everyone says that he struggled in the second-half of the year "once defenses figured him out." But if you look at the individual games he had, he only played 2 really bad games - Cincinnati and Buffalo. The Buffalo game was that white-out game with a foot of snow, and the Cincinnati game had 50 mph winds which clearly affected the passing games (Palmer, included). Other than those 2 games, he was decent. Was he the reincarnation of Otto Graham? No, but he certainly didn't play poorly.

2) Running backs in the NFL are only as good as their offensive lines. See Larry Johnson this year - as soon as Willie Roaf retires, Johnson stinks. The Browns have a great offensive line - Lewis has enough in the tank to give them at least one more good year.

3) They brought in one guy who has some supposed "character issues" . . . Shaun Rogers. I hardly think this is a recipe for "locker room havoc."

4) Their defense was clearly the problem last year, but it all started up front - they got zero pass rush last year and when the QB has all day, he can pick apart a defense. We'll see if that changes this year with the additions up front. The jury is still out on our secondary, I will grant you that, but I don't think it's fair to judge them at this point.

BiggieXU
04-16-2008, 08:11 AM
I sorta agree with Frank. I think, while they did bring in some "questionable" people in free agency, those people filled needs and holes in the defense. And other than them, most of the team is very young. Now that Bodden is gone the next two corners were rookies last year and definitely improved as the season went on, not that they are as good as him. Most of the linebacking core is young, and everyone knows about the receivers and QBs. The key piece is the line though. Anyone who saw the HUGE improvement in the O-line can't say we over spent on them. Steinbach is in his, what 5th or 6th year? And Joe Thomas is obviously a stud. Basically my point is that, while they brought in these few older guys, they already have a pretty young nucleus in place at a lot of positions so I don't really mind it.

That said, I think with the schedule this year I'm not expecting a ton. I don't yet buy into the best team in the AFC or anything near yet. I just have this gut feeling DA may regress and that will cause issues for the offense. That plus the schedule would suck. I am interested (and scared) to see the Giants D-line against the Browns O-line on MNF Week 6.

Frank D.
04-16-2008, 08:26 AM
That said, I think with the schedule this year I'm not expecting a ton. I don't yet buy into the best team in the AFC or anything near yet. I just have this gut feeling DA may regress and that will cause issues for the offense. That plus the schedule would suck. I am interested (and scared) to see the Giants D-line against the Browns O-line on MNF Week 6.

Biggie, I agree that this team has a lot to prove before being mentioned as one of the best teams in the AFC and with this schedule, it's going to be a tough go. But all the teams in the North have this hard of a schedule (the Steelers on paper is even tougher) so it might not take 10 or 11 wins to win this division.

BiggieXU
04-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Biggie, I agree that this team has a lot to prove before being mentioned as one of the best teams in the AFC and with this schedule, it's going to be a tough go. But all the teams in the North have this hard of a schedule (the Steelers on paper is even tougher) so it might not take 10 or 11 wins to win this division.
Yeah I agree. And the Steelers have the tougher 2 different games due to winning the division last year, ours are definitely easier by comparison (Denver and B-Lo vs. NE and I forget the Steelers other..SD?). I'm hoping to sneak away with the division because it will be tough to get a wild card I think.

D-West & PO-Z
04-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I understand the optomism from your angle, but from an outsider's point of view, I see a lot of money spent on over the hill players on defense. On top of that, they traded the best corner in the AFC North to get a lazy, clubhouse cancer. The Browns are in the same boat as the Bengals were the past two seasons. They have an offense that can score nearly at will, but a defense that can't stop anyone.

You arent an outsider. You are a Bengals fan commenting on a division rival. I dont care if you say you dont have ill will towards them or not, you are still biased.

D-West & PO-Z
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I am interested (and scared) to see the Giants D-line against the Browns O-line on MNF Week 6.

I would be scared too.

No, really it should be a good match up.

Frank D.
04-16-2008, 01:26 PM

I would love to see a list of the over the hill defensive guys we have signed recently. We signed Willie McGinest 2 years ago. Same with Ted Washington, who is not even on the team anymore. Our two bid free agent signings on defense this offseason were Corey Williams (28) and Shaun Rogers (29) - hardly over the hill. And it's true - Leigh Bodden was an above average corner . . . but was limited last year with a nagging ankle injury - you gotta give up something to get something and we gave up a solid corner who always seemed to be injured.

Jumpy
04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I would love to see a list of the over the hill defensive guys we have signed recently. We signed Willie McGinest 2 years ago. Same with Ted Washington, who is not even on the team anymore. Our two bid free agent signings on defense this offseason were Corey Williams (28) and Shaun Rogers (29) - hardly over the hill. And it's true - Leigh Bodden was an above average corner . . . but was limited last year with a nagging ankle injury - you gotta give up something to get something and we gave up a solid corner who always seemed to be injured.

Fair enough. Neither of us is going to sway the other. whether I agree with the signings long term or not, they have paid off considering the 10 win season last year.

Jumpy
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
You arent an outsider. You are a Bengals fan commenting on a division rival. I dont care if you say you dont have ill will towards them or not, you are still biased.

But I am an outsider to the Browns organization. I never claimed to be unbiased. IMO, when you are emotionally involved with a team, you tend to look at moves made by your team with an outlook more favorable to your team. I was just commenting that from my outsider's point of view, I am worried for the Browns that their transactions in recent years probably won't pay off in the long run. If they can make a serious run at Super Bowl contention, then they paid off. If not, then they didn't.

D-West & PO-Z
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
But I am an outsider to the Browns organization. I never claimed to be unbiased. IMO, when you are emotionally involved with a team, you tend to look at moves made by your team with an outlook more favorable to your team. I was just commenting that from my outsider's point of view, I am worried for the Browns that their transactions in recent years probably won't pay off in the long run. If they can make a serious run at Super Bowl contention, then they paid off. If not, then they didn't.

You are missing the point. An outsider is supposed to be unbiased about the entire situation. You are commenting on a team that you are an "outsiders" to, but one that is also a hated divisional rival of your team. I'm sure deep down, probably not so deep actually, that you are hoping for the Browns to suck it up, just like any Bengals fan would. So because of that point, you are not considered an outsider on this topic.

Jumpy
04-18-2008, 06:15 AM
You are missing the point. An outsider is supposed to be unbiased about the entire situation. You are commenting on a team that you are an "outsiders" to, but one that is also a hated divisional rival of your team. I'm sure deep down, probably not so deep actually, that you are hoping for the Browns to suck it up, just like any Bengals fan would. So because of that point, you are not considered an outsider on this topic.

No, again, you're wrong. I've already explained once how I consider myself an outsider. Read my posts objectively, and you would see that I am right. Instead, you are forcing your personal definition of a particular word on my posts, and calling me wrong. I never claimed to be completely unbiased.

D-West & PO-Z
04-18-2008, 10:58 AM
No, again, you're wrong. I've already explained once how I consider myself an outsider. Read my posts objectively, and you would see that I am right. Instead, you are forcing your personal definition of a particular word on my posts, and calling me wrong. I never claimed to be completely unbiased.

How you consider yourself and outsider is not how the rest of the objective world does. A person who is an outsider should have no biased. I'm an outsider to the Cowboys organization, but I wouldnt call myself an outsider when debating something about the team I hate who is a divisional rival.

Dictionary definition of outsider:

"a person unconnected or unacquainted with the matter in question."

Not my own personal definition. Anyone could do what you just did and say a word and give their own definition of it, but it doesnt mean its right. You are claiming that a divisional rival, one that looks pretty good for the upcoming season, will falter next year. Yes, you are an outsider to the Browns organization, but not to the debated discussion. An outsider would be some Seahawks fan reading this post and making his comments about the Browns chances next year.