PDA

View Full Version : Keno Davis to Providence

Muskie
04-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8037092/Providence-hires-coach-Davis-away-from-Drake)

Drake coach Keno Davis has agreed in principle to take the Providence job.

According to sources close to the situation, Davis will be introduced at a news conference at 5 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.

One source said that Davis will sign a seven-year deal that will pay him about $1 million per year.

Davis, the AP's National Coach of the Year, met with Providence on Monday and finalized the decision earlier this morning.

boozehound
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Not a great program, but not a bad move at all.

Juice
04-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Not that I disagree with you, but I think he should have stayed at Drake until the right situation came along. Jumping to Providence because it is the only job open may not be the best move.

DC Muskie
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
One source said that Davis will sign a seven-year deal that will pay him about $1 million per year.

Wow. Providence is paying $1 million? Amazing, got to love that BE money!

Goodbye Keno, you had a nice run.

Muskie
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Not that I disagree with you, but I think he should have stayed at Drake until the right situation came along. Jumping to Providence because it is the only job open may not be the best move.

Well... apparently Keno is familiar with that area of the country having grown up while his dad was at B.C. It'll be interesting to see what he he can do there. Providence has some of the worst facilities (according to the Marquette board) in the Big East.

jdm2000
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Providence has some of the worst facilities (according to the Marquette board) in the Big East.

That's funny, because the URI folks at the A10 board complained about how Dunkin' Donuts arena (where PC plays) was just renovated completely on the state's dime, to the tune of $100 million or something. Don't know about practice facilities and the like, those could be terrible.

XU 87
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
At best, it's a stepping stone (See Pitino, Barnes, and Gillen). At worst, you get fired after doing an average job (See Welch). But if it pays a $1 million, it's tough to turn down if you're making a lot less.

xeus
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I've always liked Providence, and would like to see Keno get that program turned around. Go Friars!

I predict XU 87 takes over at Drake (the college, not the male duck) and convinces Chris Wright to transfer there.

xavierj
04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
2 more jobs yet to be filled. Who will go to Stanford and OK State? It is weird that OK State is being so low keyed about the search yet they are going to pay huge sums of money to the next guy. I thought Davis might be a guy for OK state but I guess they have someone else lined up. As for Davis he got out at the right time, Drake will be losing quite a few good players.

BlueGuy
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM

If he's truly a good coach, he'll win a few games there, make a few tournaments, maybe win a game or two in the tournament, and parlay all of that into another big 6 job. I don't think it's all that bad of a move. Coaches have won there in the past, and coaches will win there in the future.

DC Muskie
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Coaches have won there in the past, and coaches will win there in the future.

That's not necessarily true. No one has ever won the BE championship while at Providence, and won one BE tournament and that was in 1994. While they appeared in a Final Four in 87 and an Elite 8 during Pete's years, they have appeared in the NCAA tournament just twice in past ten years. The additions of Louisville, UC, and Marquette have made making the tournament that much tougher. Just look at Welsh's tenure since the expansion.

The BE conference is quickly becoming the have and the have nots, and Providence is settling into the latter. I will give them credit for making a change and seeing if they can turn this around.