PDA

View Full Version : Muskie Football

XUOHTX
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Wrong section? My question is, X is in the top 20 most profitable basketball programs. We just added club football. Do you think if our success continues and the money continues to come in, we will parlay that into a football resurection? Or would Title 9 pretty much make that impossible?

GoMuskies
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
My hope is for Xavier to never play another football game above the club level.

DC Muskie
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
My hope is for Xavier to never play another football game above the club level.

Just like Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion.

xu95
04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I think Mike Bobinski has pretty much said the same thing.

I am under the impression that if they can't do it right they shouldn't do it at all. Xavier would NEVER be able to compete in today's competitive football landscape.

xu95

American X
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Xavier is a basketball only school, but we have to have this debate every offseason so have at it.

I hear Concoran Field in the fall was an enlightening bucolic experience and the priest who ended football was actually a Soviet agent.

DC Muskie
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I want it on the record, that I fully support all club football members and their efforts towards the sport they love representing Xavier.

It would also be nice if they could beat Marquette every season, and at the end, explain how our coach would never leave Xavier to coach their school.

The Artist
04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I wonder if anyone will redshirt this year.

muskienick
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I will also cast my vote for not instituting football at Xavier at anything higher than the Club level unless there is absolutely no chance of deflating the basketball program and there is a solid invitation in hand to join a BCS Conference for all sports prior to any investment in a top D-1 football program.

Since I know that there is no chance for that to happen (although many might say that UC had no football program either prior to their invitation to join the Big East), I am obviously solidly behind the majority in this issue.

JTG
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
I think a really strong club team, and a league with like minded schools, bball only , who still like the college football experience, would be a great idea. Get Marquette, DePaul, Loyola, St. Louis, and a few others and have about a 7 game schedule, but if all possible do it on Sat. so folks from Louisville, Indy, Columbus, and Chicago could come in for a home game if they wished. I have been to games the last two years and had a great time. DI would not work, and the league Butler and Dayton are in is ok for Dayton, but Butler is hemmoraging money. We probably have more fans at our club games.
Club football and Big time DI basketball can exist nicely at X. I like both, and wrote checks to both. It is a nice diversion in the fall. And it is college sports the way it once was, for alma mater and the love of the game.

lavenders legion
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Wrong section? My question is, X is in the top 20 most profitable basketball programs. We just added club football. Do you think if our success continues and the money continues to come in, we will parlay that into a football resurection? Or would Title 9 pretty much make that impossible?

No. never, never, ever should Xavier get football. Xavier can hardly support the non basketball sports as it is why on earth would you add the biggest money sucker of a sports?

I don't think Xavier has 90 full scholarships all together in all sports. I can't see how they could somehow create 90 just for football. You also forgot about title 9, which Xavier is barely in compliance with already because of only having baseball and not softball. It really is almost impossible for Xavier to get football.

The Artist
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
<<Xavier is barely in compliance with already because of only having baseball and not softball. It really is almost impossible for Xavier to get football.>>

I agree with the premise of your post, but this doesn't make sense. Volleyball makes up for the lack of softball.

I don't understand what can be meant by "barely" in compliance.

XUOHTX
04-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I love this debate (or lack there of). I live in TX now so college football is king so every off season I think about it for a minute and then remember that I don't actually care that much.

lavenders legion
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
<<Xavier is barely in compliance with already because of only having baseball and not softball. It really is almost impossible for Xavier to get football.>>

I agree with the premise of your post, but this doesn't make sense. Volleyball makes up for the lack of softball.

I don't understand what can be meant by "barely" in compliance.

Title 9 is a complicated thing. It isn't just how many sports you have it is also how many athletes for those sports. Obviously then Baseball is going to have more than Volleyball which makes it not equal. Cross Country/Track is a good way to see how complicated it is. The women on the Xavier Cross Country team are actually counted for three sports: Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor Track. Now with football try and add 90 women athletes to even that out? Gonna be very hard to do. Money also has to be spent equally for both men and women's sports so another issue is find the money for the women to be equal while having football as well.

X-band '01
04-10-2008, 04:10 PM
You also forgot about title 9, which Xavier is barely in compliance with already because of only having baseball and not softball. It really is almost impossible for Xavier to get football.

FWIW, Xavier has maybe 10 or 11 scholarships to offer for baseball (and that's assuming they even have that many). I was always under the impression that guys who didn't walk onto the team would get a half-scholarship if they were recruited to play on the team. I've always assumed that Xavier doesn't field a softball team because of the lack of a softball diamond (and yes, the dimensions of one would be considerably smaller than Hayden Field is right now).

I'm glad that Xavier can offer sports like men's golf and tennis (as well as XC and the indoor/outdoor track and field teams) while showing some semblance of Title IX compliance.

Section 200
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
XU should only bring football back if it lead to membership in the ACC or Big 12. We're too good for the big 10.

wkrq59
04-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Title 9 says simply that a school must provide an EQUAL NUMBER OF OPPORTUNITIES for women and to compete in sports. If you have 50 scholarships in men's programs, you gotta have 50 in womens.
BUT
Xavier MUST never, ever even think of starting up an NCAA DII non-scholarship program as being run by: Dayton, LaSalle, Duquesne, UMass, Rhode Island, Fordham, Richmond and a whole bunch of other schools.
UMass mortgaged its athletic future two years ago in an attempt to win a national DII non-scholarship title. The attempt failed and they'll be paying the debt for many years. Fordham still clings to the notion it can be competitive in both fb and bkb. Take a look at their high school gym. Ditto for Rhody, Duquesne and those I mentioned. Football is bleeding 'em dry.
The budget constraints of D1 football are prohibitive. Miami and the entire MAC have trouble meeting NCAA attendance requirements which are designed to screw the non-BCS boys.
And I believe UC had the lowest attendance in the BE for football, and they are an up-and-coming program.
To sum: DI, never; DII non-scholarship, Lord I hope not and long live Xavier club football. Last season was a winner. Keep it up guys, but basketball supports and football would leech the financial blood right out of the basketball body.

GoMuskies
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
UMass plays Division I scholarship football. I think some of the other A-10s do as well, but I know UMass is a scholarship program.

The Artist
04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Title 9 is a complicated thing. It isn't just how many sports you have it is also how many athletes for those sports. Obviously then Baseball is going to have more than Volleyball which makes it not equal. Cross Country/Track is a good way to see how complicated it is. The women on the Xavier Cross Country team are actually counted for three sports: Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor Track. Now with football try and add 90 women athletes to even that out? Gonna be very hard to do. Money also has to be spent equally for both men and women's sports so another issue is find the money for the women to be equal while having football as well.

Interesting. Are you sure it's number of athletes...or number of scholarships? If scholarships, I would be inclined to think that baseball and vball are equal.

I agree that adding football would be damn near impossible based on this, I was just curious about your comment concerning the current situation.

I did about a 19 page report on title IX as a freshman. Goes to show how much I retained from school...