PDA

View Full Version : Stanford Job Open?

Muskie
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
It appears Trent Johnson will inexplicably get the LSU job (what happened to Grant?) according to LSU's local reporter. (http://www.kmsstv.com/home/ticker/17423609.html)

I can already hear the Jamie Dixon to Standford rumor.

MD Muskie
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
i would think that would be a step down in terms of programs. LSU going to the Final Four a few years ago was more of catching lightning in a bottle in my opinion. I honestly believe Stanford is above and beyond a better program then LSU.

waggy
04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Stanford is tough academically. The Farm is a great place though - I think I could suffer through it as a coach - but I think winning would be easier at LSU. Can't put my thumb on why, but I never felt Johnson was a good fit for Stanford.

xavierj
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
It appears Trent Johnson will inexplicably get the LSU job (what happened to Grant?) according to LSU's local reporter. (http://www.kmsstv.com/home/ticker/17423609.html)

I can already hear the Jamie Dixon to Standford rumor.

For some reason Grant has not been eager to leave VCU. Perhaps Billy D is telling him to wait because the Florida job could be open in a couple of years. Grant pretty much told Marquette he was not interested.

DC Muskie
04-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Jamie Dixon is going to stop recruiting NYC for Pitt, who wins the Big East Tournament every year, to go to Stanford, recruit slow white guys and finish fourth in the West.

Guaranteed.

pickledpigsfeet
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Interesting. Pat Forde had reported about week ago that there was a very good chance that Travis Ford from UMass would take the LSU job and that there had already been some discussions but the latest ESPN.com article says that Ford has removed himself from consideration.
I think that if the Stanford job opens up that they'll look to San Diego's coach or St. Mary's coach, both of whom went to the tourney and recruit similar areas.

pickledpigsfeet
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Actually just saw on Dow's blog that Providence has offered Travis Ford its job. Dominoes are starting to fall.

Muskie
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
WHy would Ford take the Providence job if he got himself out of the LSU gig? Possible he's waiting to see if UK opens?

X-band '01
04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
LSU has a decent tradition, but that program can get high and pretty low in a hurry. They were pretty steady during the Dale Brown years, and they have merely the most prolific scorer in NCAA history.

That said, maybe Johnson thought it was easier to make a deep run in a weaker conference (as opposed to the Pac-10).

LA Muskie
04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
WHy would Ford take the Providence job if he got himself out of the LSU gig? Possible he's waiting to see if UK opens?
I think you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head. There's a lot of talk that Gillespie's either going to OSU or Kansas, depending on what Self decides. If that happens, guess what job's open...

Juice
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
LSU did get that recruit UC was trying to get by the name of J'mison Morgan, but he signed before their coach was fired, so who knows his plans now. You could get some decent recruits there, they just need a decent coach to sustain the success.

XURunner85
04-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I bet Montgomery wishes he did not take the Cal job he could go right back to Stanford...I really think they get someone from the west coast to coach them..

danaandvictory
04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I bet Montgomery wishes he did not take the Cal job he could go right back to Stanford...I really think they get someone from the west coast to coach them..

The perfect fit for Stanford is right on the other side of Donner Pass. Mark Fox has assembled an outstanding record at Nevada--winning or sharing five consecutive WAC regular season titles--and is ready to make the jump to a Pac-10 or Big 12 job. In addition, Fox was an assistant under departing coach Trent Johnson which would ensure continuity in both style of play and program philosophy.

Raoul Duke
04-10-2008, 02:30 PM
i would think that would be a step down in terms of programs. LSU going to the Final Four a few years ago was more of catching lightning in a bottle in my opinion. I honestly believe Stanford is above and beyond a better program then LSU.

I thought the same thing until I read the quote by Stanford's AD, that the LSU job would pay roughly twice as much. I might be inclined to roll the dice.

xavierj
04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
The perfect fit for Stanford is right on the other side of Donner Pass. Mark Fox has assembled an outstanding record at Nevada--winning or sharing five consecutive WAC regular season titles--and is ready to make the jump to a Pac-10 or Big 12 job. In addition, Fox was an assistant under departing coach Trent Johnson which would ensure continuity in both style of play and program philosophy.

Nevada pays a lot more then Stanford at this point and Nevada has a ton of talent coming back. I think they get either the St. Mary's coach or the San Diego coach.

DoubleD86
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Nevada pays a lot more then Stanford at this point and Nevada has a ton of talent coming back. I think they get either the St. Mary's coach or the San Diego coach.

On top of that returning talent, they also have Luke Babbit (#12 PF), Mark McLaughlin (#19 SG), and Joey Shaw transferring (SF/SG who used to play for Indiana) coming in next year...

Nevada has tons of talent, so I don't know if Fox will want to leave for Stanford at this point.

XU05and07
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I think you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head. There's a lot of talk that Gillespie's either going to OSU or Kansas, depending on what Self decides. If that happens, guess what job's open...

It looks like Self is staying at Kansas (good move)...next on OSU's list is Gillispie