PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma State Job Opens Up

Muskie
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8833789

"According to numerous media reports, Oklahoma State is prepared to offer Self, win or lose tonight, a salary of $4 million a year, plus a $6 million signing bonus. That would not only nearly triple the $1.375 million he makes at Kansas but would fly past the $3.5 million paid the current highest-paid coach, Florida's Billy Donovan."

XU05and07
04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Residents of Oklahoma should be asking for their tax money back...College basketball coaches shouldn't be making that kind of money from a public school

This just opens the doors to paying college players because there are a ton of people making some serious jack off these kids

kyxu
04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
This just opens the doors to paying college players because there are a ton of people making some serious jack off these kids

Yeah, it's called a free education, free clothes and free meals. I understand how much a university makes off these kids' abilities, but these student-athletes essentially have no expenses for four years of their life.

chico
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Residents of Oklahoma should be asking for their tax money back...College basketball coaches shouldn't be making that kind of money from a public school

My guess is a large part of this sum is coming from Boone Pickens. He basically finds the athletic program - something I expect MOR to be doing for us in about 10 years.

Muskie
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe one of OSU's wealthiest alum's (Pickens) is bankrolling the effort.

danaandvictory
04-07-2008, 03:40 PM

The money is coming from one donor who has dropped almost $300 million into the Oklahoma State athletic department. The good people of Oklahoma aren't footing the bill.

I wonder about Mr. Pickens' priorities...

Muskie
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Think about how it throws the coaching salary scale way out of kilter though. If Self is worth 4 million (assuming one national title to be earned tonight), how much is Billy D worth with two?

Juice
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I do not like that argument that these kids are being taken advantage of. Yes, lots of money is made off of them, but they do receive compensation as well. They get free tuition to a university that is worth almost $40,000 a year. So they are receiving a free education. If these kids do right by themselves and graduate, they then are prepared to go out and get jobs they would not else receive without that college education. If they leave early for the NBA, they also received a year of training and experience for their future job in the league as well. Most of the kids that play Division 1 basketball would not even be allowed in college, based on grades and test scores, without basketball. Its a win-win because these kids get many advantages overall the other normal folk at the same university.
How many of us would have jumped at the chance for free tuition just for partaking in athletics?

Snipe
04-08-2008, 12:18 AM
The rumors going round the net is that Pickens is willing to spend 5-6 million a year to get the right coach at Oklahoma State.

Bill Self just won the national championship at Kansas, and Pickens will likely make him an offer.

This could start the classic avalanche that happens in college hoops when big jobs come open. If Kansas loses a coach several coaches are likely to changes jobs in the aftermath.

Self makes around 1.3 mil a year. The same range we are talking about offering Sean Miller.

Billy Donovan is the highest paid coach making over 3M a year. That is an exceptional sum of money. The next coach of Oklahoma State is likely to be the highest paid coach in D-1 in Mr. Pickens gets his way.

T Boone Pickens is about to upset the applecart.

LA Muskie
04-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Apparently, Kansas has known this was coming (Self and his wife are OSU alumni) and have been working feverishly to collect the support from their boosters to pay him enough to stay. It'll probably be a close call for him, but it's also tough to leave the kids you just coached to the National Championship. I tend to think Self will stay at Kansas.

But that doesn't mean that Pickens isn't going to upset the apple cart. OSU is still going to pay someone a ton to try to return that program to prominence. And that person is going to be leaving a pretty significant program. And that will start, again, the domino effect. Hopefully it stays too far west to make a difference for us...

PM Thor
04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
That is just an absolutely insane amount of money. Stupid money.

Pickens is a %^*#ing idiot, to put it mildly.

Jumpy
04-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Apparently, Kansas has known this was coming (Self and his wife are OSU alumni) and have been working feverishly to collect the support from their boosters to pay him enough to stay. It'll probably be a close call for him, but it's also tough to leave the kids you just coached to the National Championship. I tend to think Self will stay at Kansas.

But that doesn't mean that Pickens isn't going to upset the apple cart. OSU is still going to pay someone a ton to try to return that program to prominence. And that person is going to be leaving a pretty significant program. And that will start, again, the domino effect. Hopefully it stays too far west to make a difference for us...

I tend to think that the reverse is true. They won, now there will be a flood of players leaving early (Arthur, Rush, possibly Chalmers) along with the leaving seniors (6 all told, including Sasha Kaun). No matter how much you value their incoming class, next year will be a rebuilding year.

Self sees the rebuilding he will have to do no matter where he is coaching, and he has accomplished his goal of winning the title, what's to lose if he leaves for much greener (lots more money) pastures?

GoMuskies
04-08-2008, 06:42 AM
That is just an absolutely insane amount of money. Stupid money.

How is Pickens an idiot? As much money as they're talking about throwing around, we're still just talking about the money Pickens finds in his couch cushions.

I think it's good that T. is spending this money the way he wants to. It's not as though he's bankrupting his estate, and he's doing what a lot of us sports fans would consider doing if we ever got into that sort of financial stratosphere.

xeus
04-08-2008, 08:42 AM

T Boone is not an idiot, he's just a guy with more money than he knows what to do with.

I am grateful to T Boone because of his efforts to help the animals of Katrina. he stepped up when we really needed his help:

T Boone (http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/hsus_disaster_center/disasters_press_room/archives/2005_disaster_response/hurricane_katrina/a_boone_for_new_orleans_animals_texas_oilman_and_w ife_sponsor_airlifts_to_california_shelters.html)

So if he wants to throw millions of dollars at a coach, so be it.

X Factor
04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't like the idea of one guy, who isn't even an employee of the university being able to do the hiring and firing of a coach.

Basically, if Self leaves KU for OSU, he will be an employee of Pickens rather than OSU. Pickens will be bankrolling the coaches salary and he will have all the power.

chico
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
T Boone paying 5 mil for a coach is like someone kicking in a grand for the AFO club. A fair amount of cash, but compared to his total wealth, not all that much. Not stupid on his part at all.

If I had a billion to throw around, I'd probably throw some in to help my favorite school get and keep the best coach they could.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 09:26 AM
This article is a great reminder that i need to make my AFO pledge (unfortunately it won't be in the Pickens range).

BlueGuy
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
...It'll probably be a close call for him...

Close call? Say KU brings Self's contract up to $2million over the next 5 years, and OSU offers him $4million over 5 years, plus the $6million signing bonus that has been rumored to be out there.

That is $16 million difference. I don't care how happy you are in Kansas. YOU MOVE for 5 years, and if you like Kansas that much, you can move back when you retire.

JTG
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
There was a good analogy on ESPN radio yesterday. They were discussing the OSU job and Self. Bilas said to Michelle Tafoya, "Would you take $5 million from Disney to introduce cartoons? Meaning thet the OSU job might pay great but it was still OSU not Kansas. Money isn't everything.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
To me the dynamic changed greatly last night. Self got his National Title. And now you say he can return to his Alma Mater with an astronomical increase in pay? I'm not Bill Self, but I have a good idea about what I would do.

xavierj
04-08-2008, 10:14 AM
If they offer him that kind of jack it would be hard to turn down. What happens if he does not get KU back to the final 4 in the next 5 years? Those fans will be ready to run him out of town. He can take the money and if it does not work out he can retire when all said and done. My guess is that he takes the job and Calipari will go to KU.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Yup... I think Calipari is ripe to jump ship now that his NBA All-Star team will be going Pro.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Thought I would condense the threads for now. If Sean get's mentioned we'll move it into the Men's Hoops section

XU 87
04-08-2008, 10:40 AM
The main difference is that Self knows he can go to more final fours and win more national championships at Kansas. The same can't be said for Oklahoma State. OSU was very good but not a perennial power under Eddie Sutton, who was very good coach.

I've heard that if Self turns them down, plan "B" is UK's coach.

So the question is this: do you take a lot more money to go to a lesser program where your chances of winning are much less? If I'm Self or Gillespie, I stay where I'm at. They're both multi-millionaires. And at the end of the season when they're watching their former team play in the final four, I don't think those extra millions are going to make them feel better.

DC Muskie
04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
The main difference is that Self knows he can go to more final fours and win more national championships at Kansas. The same can't be said for Oklahoma State. OSU was very good but not a perennial power under Eddie Sutton, who was very good coach.

Why? Why can't someone like Self take OSU to the FF and a NC? Kansas has two titles in 20 years. This is the first NC for the entire Big 12 conference.

When I read this, I get the feeling only three schools are really allowed to win the National Title...and everyone else can't.

That's why I'm disappointed Memphis didn't win. Now Kansas can celebrate the glory of thier third title and act like they are UCLA.

XU 87
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Is it possible? Sure. Eddie Sutton took OSU to two final fours. But it was two final fours in about 16 or 17 years. And Eddie Sutton was a great coach and recruiter.

My point is that UK and Kansas have far better programs than OSU, who has the second best program in the state of Oklahoma. UK and Kansas are top 5 programs. OSU is probably a top 30-40 program. OSU moves up a few notches if it can a get a top flight coach. But it simply won't be on par with a UK or Kansas. So if you're a coach who wants to go to final fours and win national championships, you have a far better chance at UK or Kansas than you do at OSU. So do you trade that opportunity for a lot more money?

DC Muskie
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I just think it's an interesting argument. Everybody has their top five programs, when really only two of them (UNC and UCLA) are contenders year after year. OSU has gone to two FF, in the last 16 years, but is far worse then Kansas, who went in 2003, and 1991, or even Oklahoma, who I think hasn't been to the FF since 1988.

To me, college basketball is so wide open...I mean our coach turned down IU, which I've heard won a few titles in the 70's and 80's.

I don't know where Xavier sits on the list. I just think it's funny when someone says, "It's KANSAS!" Or "It's Indiana!" Or "It's Kentucky!"

DC Muskie
04-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Whoops, sorry to answer your question, if I think I can get to the final four with OSU and make a ton of money trying, you bet your ass I'm in Stillwater. But I don't think Kansas is head and shoulders above OSU.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm with DC. But not in his trunk. It's too crowded.

wkrq59
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
This whole idea of Pickens buying the next OK st. coach is going to open an entire can of asps just waiting to poison the fabric of college athletics.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree "Q" it sets a horrible precedent and just makes the boosters that much more powerful. As i stated earlier, If Self with one Title is worth 6 Million? How Much is Billy D with Two? Or Bob Knight with 3?

DC Muskie
04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
This whole idea of Pickens buying the next OK st. coach is going to open an entire can of asps just waiting to poison the fabric of college athletics.

Yeah, cause raking in billions to air the tournament is nothing short of pure sportsmanship.

I think this is exactly what schools SHOULD do to remain competitive.

GoMuskies
04-08-2008, 06:55 PM

Bobby Lowder has been around for awhile. This isn't even close to new.

Jumpy
04-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Why? Why can't someone like Self take OSU to the FF and a NC? Kansas has two titles in 20 years. This is the first NC for the entire Big 12 conference.

When I read this, I get the feeling only three schools are really allowed to win the National Title...and everyone else can't.

That's why I'm disappointed Memphis didn't win. Now Kansas can celebrate the glory of thier third title and act like they are UCLA.

QFT

Great programs are not predetermined by destiny. They are all built from the ground up and maintained at that high level. There are plenty of great programs that have come and gone. There is no reason Self can't build a program at OSU. And with boosters like Pickens, he definitley has the resources to make that happen.

Muskie
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Self says no to Oklahoma St.

Link (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=398131)

Juice
04-10-2008, 09:59 PM
anyone think that Gillespie will now take the money and run?

Fred Garvin
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM

I've heard that if Self turns them down, plan "B" is UK's coach.

So the question is this: do you take a lot more money to go to a lesser program where your chances of winning are much less? If I'm Self or Gillespie, I stay where I'm at. They're both multi-millionaires. And at the end of the season when they're watching their former team play in the final four, I don't think those extra millions are going to make them feel better.

What are you talking about? DC just pointed out that Kansas has won two NCs in 20 years. You don't think OSU can match that pace? People were puzzled when Lute Olsen left Iowa for Arizona. You think Zona had a program prior to that?

Olsen's first year out west was 83-84. He'd take Arizona to 4 Final Fours and a national championship. Three of the Final Fours and the national championship were accomplished by '97.

It can be done.

DC Muskie
04-11-2008, 07:23 AM
By the way, it's this sort of thinking that UC fans have when they say Xavier can't get to the Final Four, but they can, simply because they play in the BE.