PDA

View Full Version : I know how they feel....

X-Fan
04-08-2008, 06:01 AM
I feel bad for Memphis. They "should" have won the game last night.

Is it me, or was that EXACTLY the way XU lost to OSU last year?

In both games the teams blew a lead late.

In both games the teams blew a chance to go up 4 at the FT line with seconds to play.

In both games the teams couldn't/didn't foul and the game was tied with a last second 3.

I will say this also...I think Memphis got jobbed a little by the Refs...kind of like how X got jobbed but in a different way. I thought the Refs swallowed their whistles in Kansas' favor the whole game.

Our loss was on a smaller stage, but I saw many similarities.

Finally, I think the national media is REJOICING that a BCS school won the NC. It just seemed like they were SO dreading Memphis winning. It's too bad, Memphis deserved that game.

Frank D.
04-08-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm going to admit - I didn't stay up for the end of the game (I have a 3 month old - you get sleep when you can). Anyways, when I saw the highlights this morning, the first thing that came to mind was our OSU game. It was eerie how similar everything played out - even the 3 Kansas hit was basically the same play (hand off at the top of the key).

Talk about deja vu. I feel for Memphis.

gladdenguy
04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree. That is very similar to our game against OSU. I guess when I was down in the dumps last year, it was only to go to the sweet 16, this on the other hand, is for the 2007-08 National Championship. That is tough to swallow.

Muskie
04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Steve Czaban (FSR) was advocating that any team up by three with under ten seconds should foul from here on out. He cited the Xavier-OSU and last night National Title games as recent examples.

Lloyd Christmas
04-08-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't thnk Memphis got jobbed. CDR got away with an obvious technical by slamming the ball at the end of the game.

X-Fan
04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
I don't thnk Memphis got jobbed. CDR got away with an obvious technical by slamming the ball at the end of the game.

I figured someone would bring that up.

First, it was the one call that "could have" been called on Memphis that wasn't, and

Second, the ref was right to not call it.

I would have been one thing if CDR was complaining about the play, or the foul that just happened (BTY...the foul was against KU), but he was simply frustrated that he missed key FT's. There was no upstaging of the ref, or throwing the ball at anyone. I'm sure he didn't mean to slam the ball that hard as well.

taxpayer
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I guess I'm in the minority after listening to all the "analysts" since the game ended.

I wouldn't have called a timeout after Rose made his second FT. That would allow Kansas time to run a set inbounds play.

I do not advocate fouling in that situation. The commentary I've been hearing is that Memphis should have fouled with under 3 seconds to play. How can you guard someone, look for screens and keep an eye on the clock? Foul Kansas or OSU, their player makes his first, intentionally misses the second, they grab the offensive rebound and make a three at the buzzer and you're not looking at over time,
you just lost. I'll take my chances playing tough D. Of course, that's probably why my analysis is appearing here and not on ESPN, CBS or Mike & Mike.

Ultimately, it was missing the free throws for Memphis and the making of the FT for Kansas that set up this ending.

theprofessor
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM

LC, you must be kidding. There was less than 20 seconds to go in the championship game & the guy just bounced the ball 10 feet in the air... A delay of game warning would have been fine. A technical would have been a horrific call.

Lloyd Christmas
04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
If you would make that call in the first 10 seconds you should make it in the last 10. But that was not my point, my point is that you can't say that Memphis got jobbed or didn't recieved the benefit of any calls because that slamming of the ball well over 10 feet in the air could have been called technical foul.

Kahns Krazy
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
As could the Kansas player kicking the ball out of bounds right after that slam.

I thought Memphis did foul a Kansas player on the floor before the 3 pointer. It looked to me like they were trying to foul all the way down the court.

Also, I don't think they make that call in the first 10 seconds of the game anyway. That move draws a warning unless there's something else that goes with it.

xudash
04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
As could the Kansas player kicking the ball out of bounds right after that slam.

I thought Memphis did foul a Kansas player on the floor before the 3 pointer. It looked to me like they were trying to foul all the way down the court.

Also, I don't think they make that call in the first 10 seconds of the game anyway. That move draws a warning unless there's something else that goes with it.

Exactly KK - about Memphis trying to foul. Cal said as much in his post game interview. The refs just wouldn't call it.

LC, most here are going to disagree with you, as will most in the nation. Even Packer said they got it right - not calling the T - because it was obvious the kid was frustrated from having just missed what essentially were game winning FTs.

Otherwise, while I'm sure you can point to a few calls that went Kansas' way, there were a number of over-the-backs and WWW throwdown moves under the basket by Kansas that left me amazed when play continued. Had someone put white Xavier jerseys on those guys last night, we would be livid about some of the calls.

Nonetheless, Memphis had control of its own destiny at the end and couldn't close the deal because of a weakness that has been identified closely with them all season.

muskies05
04-08-2008, 10:11 AM
I feel bad for Memphis. They "should" have won the game last night.

Is it me, or was that EXACTLY the way XU lost to OSU last year?

In both games the teams blew a lead late.

In both games the teams blew a chance to go up 4 at the FT line with seconds to play.

In both games the teams couldn't/didn't foul and the game was tied with a last second 3.

I will say this also...I think Memphis got jobbed a little by the Refs...kind of like how X got jobbed but in a different way. I thought the Refs swallowed their whistles in Kansas' favor the whole game.

Our loss was on a smaller stage, but I saw many similarities.

Finally, I think the national media is REJOICING that a BCS school won the NC. It just seemed like they were SO dreading Memphis winning. It's too bad, Memphis deserved that game.

also, the team that hit the shot at the end of regulation had a ton of momentum going into overtime...both teams(xavier and memphis) lost by 7 in overtime...deja vu

D-West & PO-Z
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Had someone put white Xavier jerseys on those guys last night, we would be livid about some of the calls.

When are the people on this board not livid about the refs?

D-West & PO-Z
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM

It looked to me that Derrick Rose was trying everything he could not to foul there. Hands up in the air leaning back a little. If he wanted to foul he didnt make a great attempt. I havent talked to one other person who thought he was trying to foul. Calipari may say he was but Rose didnt try very hard then.