PDA

View Full Version : Keno Davis National Coach of the Year

X-Fan
04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Just saw this on Yahoo.

I see why he deserves this, but I still think Sean should have gotten it. XU started the season unranked and had to replace three very good seniors. XU wins the most games in team history, won the A10 regular season title, beat many good OOC teams, will finish the year in the top 10, reached the elite 8. I would also mention that X went much farther than Drake did in the Tourney.

I can't even tell if Sean got any votes...which is rediculous if that is true.

I wonder if this was voted on before the Tourney started?

Great Season Muskies!

Keno Davis - National Coach of the Year (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AmQuXqqgV3TlN4RfQR5V4zg5nYcB?slug=ap-apcoachoftheyear&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Billy
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Just saw this on Yahoo.

I see why he deserves this, but I still think Sean should have gotten it. XU started the season unranked and had to replace three very good seniors. XU wins the most games in team history, won the A10 regular season title, beat many good OOC teams, will finish the year in the top 10, reached the elite 8. I would also mention that X went much farther than Drake did in the Tourney.

I can't even tell if Sean got any votes...which is rediculous if that is true.

I wonder if this was voted on before the Tourney started?

Great Season Muskies!

Keno Davis - National Coach of the Year (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AmQuXqqgV3TlN4RfQR5V4zg5nYcB?slug=ap-apcoachoftheyear&prov=ap&type=lgns)

For better or worse this award has nothing to do with who did the best job. Because if it did, John Calipari should win unanimously for what he's done. That recruiting job, and that team's record in a non power conference is just too much to overlook, IMO.

They should probably call this award "Greatest overachievement by a basketball coach"....because that's how the voters cast their opinions.

jdm2000
04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
^Agree with Billy -- it's all about overachievement. And it's hard to argue that anyone got more out of their team than Keno did at Drake. An impressive job.

Muskie
04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
No arguments from me on this one either. Davis probably the absolute best he could out of that team. They had a one in a million season if you consider the fact that they used a walk-on starting PG most of the year. I'm not saying they won't maintain a certain level of play, they just played out of their gourdes this year.

dfcapp
04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I applaud what Davis did at Drake. It's one hell of a job & he deserves the award.

I just love to see the "other" votes for Bruce Pearl, Calipari, and Painter.

Painter's Baby Boilers went to the round of 32, and performed very well in the Big Ten. I get the votes.

Calipari kept his team focused throughout the year & has them humming as they go to the Final Four. They were expected to be there, but I guess I get the votes.

Pearl??? Uh, his team flopped big time in the Sweet 16 and looked rough down the stretch. He had a team that most picked to do very well, so what was his "sweet" coaching job?

I'm just surprised that Miller didn't get votes.

boozehound
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I am actually, in some ways, glad that Miller didn't get a lot of votes. That shows that people don't perceive taking Xavier to a 30 win season culminating in an Elite Eight appearance as an incredible feat anymore.

Snipe
04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I am actually, in some ways, glad that Miller didn't get a lot of votes. That shows that people don't perceive taking Xavier to a 30 win season culminating in an Elite Eight appearance as an incredible feat anymore.

Just another day at the office.

Flexo
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
The voting:

Keno Davis, Drake 29
Bo Ryan, Wisconsin 14
Bruce Pearl, Tennessee 6
John Calipari, Memphis 5
Matt Painter, Purdue 5
Sean Miller, Xavier 3
Trent Johnson, Stanford 3
Scott Drew, Baylor 2
Rick Barnes, Texas 2
Roy Williams, North Carolina 1
Mike Krzyzewski, Duke 1
Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt 1

powerofX
04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Who the hell voted for K? Vitale?

MADXSTER
04-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Who the hell voted for K? Vitale?

Can't imagine. In fact, it's sad. Talk about bias.

joebba
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I am really suprised Painter did not get more recognition, and of course Sean.