PDA

View Full Version : A look at 2009....

Muskie
04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
In a few weeks I'll be updating the eligibility tab... until then...

For the 2008-2009 Season

Freshman:
PG Mark Lyons
SG Brad Redford
SG Brian Walsh
C Kenny Frease

Sophomore:
PG/SG Dante Jackson
F Joe Hughes
G Stephen Duckett
F Jamel McLean (TR)
F Andrew Taylor (TR)

Junior:
SG Adrion Graves
F Derrick Brown
F/C Jason Love

Senior:
F/C Charles Bronson
G/F BJ Raymond
G/F CJ Anderson

That's where we can start the recruiting discussion.

xuab
04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
McLean transferred after his freshman season. So, he's a sophomore next year in terms of eligibility.

BBC 08
04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Same with Taylor. Our transfers each have 3 years at X.

Muskie
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Are they also Sophomores academically too? Or would they both be juniors (pretending that all of their credits transferred ect).

Muskie
04-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Scholarship Breakdown:

3 Available for 2009
3 Available for 2010
3 Available for 2011 (as i believe Duckett and Hughes are walk-ons)
4 Available for 2012

I come up with 13 Scholarships. Which is one over.

BBC 08
04-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Scholarship Breakdown:

3 Available for 2009
3 Available for 2010
3 Available for 2011 (as i believe Duckett and Hughes are walk-ons)
4 Available for 2012

I come up with 13 Scholarships. Which is one over.

I believe 13 is the maximum, not 12.

Muskie
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I edited before you responded (down to 13 from 14). Thanks for confirming though.

xu95
04-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Are we sure Taylor won't be a junior? I thought he graduated with Raymond.

xu95

Muskie
04-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Goxavier says Taylor and McLean both have three years of eligibility beginning next season.

xuab
04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I just looked at his bio on the XU site and it says he'll have 3 years of eligibility.

TRANSFER...a transfer from the Hillsdale College (Mich.) who will practice with the Musketeers this season...becomes eligible for game action in the 2008-09 season...will have three seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2008-09 season.

Muskie
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
It looks like X will probably look to bring another big man in for depth in the coming years. After Love graduates, Frease will need a back-up.

xu95
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I guess he was a year behind Raymond.

xu95

Xman95
04-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I guess he was a year behind Raymond.

xu95

That's correct...he graduated after BJ. Those must have been some good years to watch ball in Toledo - B.Roberts, BJ Raymond, A.Taylor. OK, so maybe Taylor isn't on the same level as the other guys, but he was apparently a pretty good high school player.

Did anyone hear about the Lithuanian kid who committed? Just kidding!!! (Although why can't it work on April 2nd too?)

xufan02
04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
So with Holloway in the mix I think we are done with guards for the 2009 class unless a stud SG wants to verbal. Here is a scholarship breakdown the and how I see the 2009 class going down.

Freshman:
PG/SG: Redford (redshirt)
PG/SG: Lyons
SG/SF: Walsh
PG: Holloway
C: Frease

Sophomores:
SG: Jackson
PF: Jamel Mclean
SF: Andrew Taylor

Juniors:
C: Love
WF: Brown
SG: Graves

Seniors:
SF: Raymond
SF: Anderson

I see Redford getting the redshirt. He has sick shooting ability but of all the freshman he has the most physical maturing to do. I also do not see his future on this team and the PG position. I see him as an undersized SG like AJ Graves of Butler.

I also think that although Xavier only has 2 scholarships for the 2009 class we will have 3 when its all said and done. Someone with either transfer or a player will qualify for academic support. I'm not saying I know anything, this is pure speculation but history tell me something of the like with happen.

Well, the 2009 class I think will be a WF, SF, and PF.

I think Xavier will get a slashing athlete at the SF spot in the CJ mold: either Ari or Tevin

The WF will be someone like Duncan and Brown that can play facing the basket: Hosley

The PF will be someone who is defensive minded and a shot blocker: Still

Obviously this is my dream class: Ari, Hosely, and Still

Some other options are: SF/Parrom, SG/Lawrence, PF?Olsen, SF/Shannon, and SG/SF Hibbert. We shall see. Anyone have thoughts. Also Scout just released their new top 100. Ari did drop a bit.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/745153.html

X Factor
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Scout Top 100 Players that Xavier is recruiting:

#29 Ari Stewart, SF (Georgia)

#46 Omari Lawrence, SG - Bronx, NY Has good relationship with Book. Played for the Gauchos.

#54 Kammeon Holsey, PF (Georgia)

#65 Terrence Shannon, PF (Georgia)

#75 Durand Scott, SG (New York)

#83 James Still, C (Michigan)

#100 Naji Hibbert, SG (Maryland)

Obviously rankings are subjective. Tevin Baskin isn't in Scout's Top 100 and there are always a ton of unranked gems in every class.

I've got faith in Sean and his staff to evaluate and find good talent, regardless of rankings.

It is nice to see us involved with so many Top 100 type of kids though.

Dream class: Ari Stewart and any combination of guys, preferably a PF/C or two.

Omari Lawrence really looks nice too though. He could turn out to be a beast.

XtremeXfan
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Dang! Ari dropped to a 4 star. I was hoping we would be landing a 5 star.

XtremeXfan
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I think if we land Ari, we will also be getting Mfon Udofia. They are very good friends and Udofia got interested in Xavier once Ari did. Udofia is ranked #36 overall by Rivals.

OX09
04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I think if we land Ari, we will also be getting Mfon Udofia. They are very good friends and Udofia got interested in Xavier once Ari did. Udofia is ranked #36 overall by Rivals.

Two potentially legit point guards in the '08 class (Holloway, Lyons) doesn't seem to bode well for picking up another in the '09 class though. That being said, I am all for Mfon coming to Xavier.

I heard someone say once that the better the recruit is the less they are worried about playing time. (Probaby because the recruit assumes they are good enough to play right away.) Regardless I hope that rings true with Mfon.

Muskie
04-16-2008, 08:50 AM
James Still apparently wants to play PF and will give preference to schools that will allow him to do so. Supposedly, this includes X.

I have a real tough time red-shirting Redford if he's the shooter everyone says he is. Thankfully Sean, the man making the decision, will actually see him in action before making that decision.

Xman95
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a real tough time red-shirting Redford if he's the shooter everyone says he is.

As I have, I'm sure you have watched the Redford video on youtube. I realize it's a highlight reel, but I don't think there's any way to question that he's an amazing shooter. Add in his numbers, the kid can flat fill it...at the high school level.

My only concern is this: will Redford be able to get his shot off at the college level? Obviously he won't get it off as easily in college as he did in high school. That's probably the case with 99.9% of all kids coming in. But will he be able to get it off enough to be a big time threat? If so, I have no doubts he'll make more than his share of 3's, mid-range jumpers and clutch free throws.

Muskie, enjoy the well earned rep points...not just for this post, but a history of good ones!

DC Muskie
04-16-2008, 09:13 AM
My only concern is this: will Redford be able to get his shot off at the college level? Obviously he won't get it off as easily in college as he did in high school. That's probably the case with 99.9% of all kids coming in. But will he be able to get it off enough to be a big time threat? If so, I have no doubts he'll make more than his share of 3's, mid-range jumpers and clutch free throws.

Why do people ask this? Does everyone here somehow think the kid will not get his shot off?

Our offense gets people open looks, especially the high post pick. I don't think brad takes his sweet time getting his shot off. The kid does play AAU ball. If he was incapable of doing it there, I doubt we'd be that interested in him.

I don't put many expectations on freshmen. Brad should be able though to come in and hit shots.

wkrq59
04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Just as you don't enter a stakes horse in a claiming race, you don't red shirt a player like Redford. From the looks of him on that UTube video, the kid can get his shot off faster than I've seen many a high school or college player do. My only concern is his release point is often low, from his waist, but he can shoot from a higher release point and does. The kid also appears to have the ability to see the floor, and he shows in that same vodeo he can stop the ball on a break and rebound. He finds the open man and doesn't appear to be selfish, although if he shoots in college the way he has in high school, I want to see him take even more shots.
I seriously doubt Sean recruited and signed Michigan's Mr.Basketball to redshirt him. There 13 scholarships taken and I fully expect to see 10 or 11 get plenty of playing time. I can see unit substitution if necessary--Frease, Brown, CJ, BJ and either Dante or Holloway, and Rose, McClean, Graves, Redford and Lyons or Holloway. I can see Walsh and Taylor and either Lyons or Holloway being worked in to one of two u nits.
Early on, I see Sean doing a lot of experimenting, especially among the big men and the guards.
I see Derrick, Bj, CJ, and Dante as certain starters at first and Love and Frease and McClean battling for that center spot. It's going to be a fun team to watch, that's for sure. :D

A10fan
04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I seriously doubt Sean recruited and signed Michigan's Mr.Basketball to redshirt him. There 13 scholarships taken and I fully expect to see 10 or 11 get plenty of playing time. I can see unit substitution if necessary--Frease, Brown, CJ, BJ and either Dante or Holloway, and Rose, McClean, Graves, Redford and Lyons or Holloway. I can see Walsh and Taylor and either Lyons or Holloway being worked in to one of two u nits.
Early on, I see Sean doing a lot of experimenting, especially among the big men and the guards.
I see Derrick, Bj, CJ, and Dante as certain starters at first and Love and Frease and McClean battling for that center spot. It's going to be a fun team to watch, that's for sure. :D

Who is Rose? I'm flashing back to stringbean Duwaun?sp

XU05and07
04-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Who is Rose? I'm flashing back to stringbean Duwaun?sp

I think he meant Love

Muskie
04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a draft copy of the depth chart up. Nothing set in stone... check it out here (http://www.xavierhoops.com/depthchart.php).

Frambo
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Muskie - move Redford out of small forward and into the 2 guard slots...he's only 6'0. Dante could be listed in the top 3 groups.

xufan02
05-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Miller works all these new players into his system. We have a surplus of talent for next year, and it will be interesting to see who buys-in and who doesn't. This is what I think the starting line-up and bench will look like:

Starters:

PG: Holloway - Of the three freshman that can play the point he is the most suited for the starting position. Lyons and Redford will get some minutes as well but they are scoring combo guards. I see the minutes breaking down possibly: 20/10/10 respectivley.

SG: Jackson - I think Dante is ready to be our defensive stopper and his future is at this position. The only reason I do not have Raymond starting is because of his defense and size. Unless he loses some weight in the offseason and gets quicker he will not be able to stop most teams 2 guard. Dante will log 15-20 minutes with the rest going to Raymond/Graves/Walsh.

SF: Anderson - CJ played 26 minutes a game last year and I do not see those minutes going down. He is out best player going to the rim and he will play a bit at the SF and PF when we go to a smaller line-up. So CJ gets 20-25 at the SF and the rest go to Raymond/Graves/Walsh.

PF: Brown - averaged under 30 minutes a game last year. I see him playing around 30 again next year. The rest of the minutes go to Mclean.

C: Love - Love averaged 18 minutes a game last year, he will split time with Frease and McLean.

Bench: Raymond is going to be our sixth man like Duncan. If you look at Duncan's numbers last year he was our leading scorer at 22 minutes a game. Raymond I think will accept this role and do a great job. After BJ, Mclean is the most ready to play now. The rest of the subs for the most part are unkown. All the freshman and Graves. I do not see Taylor getting any minutes except in garbage time with Joe Hughes and Duckett.

DoubleD86
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Naji Hibbert committed to Texas A&M today according to Rivals.com.