PDA

View Full Version : Sutton out at OK State

XU05and07
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Sean Sutton out at Oklahoma State (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323779)

Succession plan didn't really work out in Stillwater

xu drew
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
i'd prefer it if sutton had stayed. i'd rather all those potential dominoes to stand up how they are. who knows how everything unfold if self or gillespie took old man boone's money and left a prime job open for others to take.

XU 87
04-01-2008, 01:38 PM
How long was Sutton the head coach? Two years? I know he wasn't real successful, but it doesn't seem like he got much of a chance. Of course LSU fired their head coach two years after he went to the final four.

Juice
04-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah but OK St. was not even competitive in the Big 12 after being one of the top teams in the conference. If they waited to fire him they would just be delaying the inevitable. Sutton was not the coach nor the recruiter that his dad was (also noting that his dad was a cheat).

XU 87
04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
And you're probably right about Sutton. But two years isn't much to time to prove yourself as a new head coach. Look at Sean Miller. There were some people who wanted him fired midway through his second season. Although I never was in the "fire Miller" camp, I certainly had my own criticsms of his coaching the first two and a half years. I think Miller is a much better coach now when compared to his first and second seasons. Now I think Miller is an excellent coach and a great recruiter. Sutton simply didn't get the chance to show if he could improve.

jdm2000
04-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Does this mean Pat Knight is officially on the hot seat?

Swifty
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Odd, I would have thought the win over Kansas saved his job, guess not.