PDA

View Full Version : XU gets commit from Lithuanian

Xman95
04-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Was this kid even on anybody's radar?

LITHUANIAN CENTER HEADING TO THE STATES

The list of Lithuanian basketball players heading to the United States continues to grow. The country is best known for it's guards, but this time it's a big man.

Laurynas Inkrata, a center from the West Sports Club, is heading to Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. He'll start playing in 2009. He said he spoke with Sean Miller, coach of the Xavier Musketeers, to tell him of his plans.

According to Inkrata, he called the coach and said, "I tell him to get ready for more big games, only we win with Laurynas."

Xavier recently played in the NCAA Basketball Tournament, being one of the last eight teams playing. They lost to the University of California Los Angeles. Four teams are still playing.

Inkrata is 6'11" but doctors think he may grow taller. He says he plans to lift weights and continue to gain weight. He is currently 235 pounds.

In 24 games with WSC, he scored 24 points per game and averaged 15.5 rebounds. He also set a WSC season record for blocks with 149.

If his name is familiar, he is the cousin of Edvinas Inkrata, another Lithuanian talent who went over to the States. Edvinas has not had much success since leaving Lithuania. Laurynas hopes to be better when he's there. After all, he said Xavier will "win with Laurynas."

GuyFawkes38
04-01-2008, 12:35 AM
There's no doubt in my mind, X's and Cincy's passionate Lithuanian community attracted him here.

But in all seriousness, if the above report is true, welcome to the nati. Now where can I buy a Lithuanian flag.

jdm2000
04-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Ah, April Fool's. It's going to be a fun day.

GuyFawkes38
04-01-2008, 12:42 AM
wow, brilliant. that got me.

damn it. I was seriously pumped about waiving a Lithuanian flag around.

Swifty
04-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah, that was cruel. For a moment I was picturing Z from the Cavs posting up in the paint for Xavier.

Xman95
04-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Just be happy I didn't say Ari Stewart and REALLY get your hopes up!

Did it help that I spelled out the UCLA and talked about them being one of the last eight teams playing (without saying Elite 8)?

Also, the Edvinas Inkrata is somewhat legit. I saw something on the net about him coming to the US at age 19 and busting up rims on dunks at a Lithuanian Sports Club.

Snipe
04-01-2008, 05:33 AM
I hear he has an outside game. All those eastern Europeans do. He can play the 3.

xeus
04-01-2008, 06:41 AM
That explains why Book was wearing native Lithuanian attire when I saw him in LaGuardia a few weeks ago.

Jumpy
04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Ha. While I was reading, all I could think about was that he sounded like an egotistical a$$ and I wasn't sure if I wanted him on the team. Well played, 95, outrageous yet believeable.

kyxu
04-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Notre Dame's rivals site did this same thing with a fake commitment for football. Totally made-up person that Weis offered a scholarship to, despite the kid never playing football. Except the fan reactions weren't as banal as these, as the rivals writers at irishillustrated received some threatening e-mails.

Cheesehead
04-01-2008, 07:51 AM
...and in a related story: The Reds signed Sidd Finch, a 168 mph flamethrowing Tibetan Buddist to a major league contract.

Xman95
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Glad I could provide a chuckle today!