PDA

View Full Version : Which A10 Teams Will Make The NCAA Tourney Next Year?

jdm2000
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Sort of a piggy back on the poll in the main forum. Next year should be interesting in the A10. Can we build on this year's success?

XUglow
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I have to admit to totally guessing, but I am predicting that the A-10 will improve over this year which will make it a pretty darn good league next year.

jdm2000
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
FYI --

I voted for X, Temple, and Charlotte. I think X will struggle a bit early with guard play, but there's a ton coming back (essentially 3 starters and BJ, who played starter's minutes), plus great talent coming in.

Looking at the rosters, I think Temple and Charlotte have just about everyone back (Temple loses Tyndale, which will hurt). Both finished the season fairly strong, and I think they will be real contenders.

Other possibilities:

Duquesne has a lot of talent, especially if James comes back.

Dayton showed flashes this year, but I think they will miss Roberts more than some of their fans think. A full year of Wright will be nice, but I don't like having Warren at the point and counting on big contributions from freshmen (and not quite that sold on their group of frosh).

Richmond has just about everybody back. I think they could contend, as well.

I expect fairly big drop-offs from teams that lose a lot, like URI, St. Joe's, and Fordham.

Muskie
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Nobody believes Fordham has turned the corner? ;)

AdamtheFlyer
03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
I'll eat broccoli if Charlotte makes the dance next year. I HATE broccoli. I'm 100% confident. They might make the NIT again. You can book them in the 6, 7, or 8 slot.

It's wide open. If I had to guess right now, I'd say X, Temple, Dayton, and UMass will be the top 4...probably in that order. If they all do well OOC, they should all go. Snipe's Mighty Dukes and GW are my darkhorses.

jdm2000
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Adam, why so down on the Niners? Looks like they have just about everybody back from a decent squad.

AdamtheFlyer
03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
They lose Goldwire and return Mack and Coley. I just don't buy them as a contender with that roster and the style of play.

jdm2000
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Fair enough. Goldwire will be a big loss. I figure one of the old C-USA schools is going to turn the corner eventually, and it certainly doesn't look like it's going to be SLU at this point....

Really surprised at the number of people picking St. Joe's. Seems to me they are losing quite a bit off this year's team. I look for them to be middle of the pack at best next year.

Cheesehead
04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm lazy, I just voted for the top four teams that were listed.

xu95
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Xavier, Temple and Richmond. I think Richmond will surprise people next year.

Dayton will not make the tourney. How do I know this? They are Dayton and they are coached by Brian Gregory.

xu95

OX09
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
i vote for LaSalle, just because someone needed to. Plus, they were the first A-10 team to win the NCAAs (right?).

I also voted for San Fransisco in the WCC poll of this variety for the same reasons.

Muskie
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Nobody voting for the Bonnies?

Here's a scandalous question: Anyone think X WON'T make it to the NCAA next season?

XURunner85
04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I voted for X, StJoes, Temple, UMass and RI.....wasn't sure but UD and Charlotte are the next two with chances but I see us with atleast 5.

jdm2000
04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow, I would love to get to five, but I just don't see it happening next year. I would like to see the league get back to three bids consistently and start pushing for a fourth each year.

D-West & PO-Z
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I voted for X, Temple, UD, and SLU. I think SLU gets to the tourney in Lisch and Liddell's senior year. They have some good talent coming in who need to contribute right away if it is to happen.

waggy
04-13-2008, 01:29 AM
This poll shows we too many dam Dayton fans lurking around here. No way does 38+ percent of X fans think UD is making the tourney.

BTW, thanks for not trolling, lurkers.

jdm2000
04-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Nobody voting for the Bonnies?

Here's a scandalous question: Anyone think X WON'T make it to the NCAA next season?

Apparently there's at least one person....who could it be?

PinkQueenJP
04-15-2008, 12:56 AM
X for sure, Charlotte, and I'll go with Temple, Just as long as I don't have to watch St. Joes bird flapping it's wings too much, drives me crazy.

Muskie
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Apparently there's at least one person....who could it be?

True... but you can vote for more than one team in this poll.

jdm2000
04-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Uh......what? Sorry Muskie, I'm confused. There's at least one person who voted who said that X wouldn't make it next year, right? We must hunt them down with Sean's Blue and White Army....:)

Muskie
04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah... i totally misread what you said in retrospect. You are correct. One Person voted for other teams, but not for X.

I think i can check...

XU05and07
04-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah... i totally misread what you said in retrospect. You are correct. One Person voted for other teams, but not for X.

I think i can check...

Big Brother is watching

Arnold Horshack
05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't think Saint Joseph's makes it next year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they have our number. I guess it's about match-ups.

jdm2000
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
^And moving picks.

xu95
05-07-2008, 07:52 AM
I don't think Saint Joseph's makes it next year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they have our number. I guess it's about match-ups.
THey won't beat us next year. They don't have a Calathes or a Ferguson that eats our threes and fours for dinner.

xu95

nuts4xu
05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
The hell with St Joe's. I like Phil Martelli, but I love to see him lose. I don't think they make the tourney either, and if they do, I will buy 95 a cold 16 oz beer of his choice.

I think that is a pretty safe bet.

bigdiggins
06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I'll eat broccoli if Charlotte makes the dance next year. I HATE broccoli. I'm 100% confident. They might make the NIT again. You can book them in the 6, 7, or 8 slot.

It's wide open. If I had to guess right now, I'd say X, Temple, Dayton, and UMass will be the top 4...probably in that order. If they all do well OOC, they should all go. Snipe's Mighty Dukes and GW are my darkhorses.

But would you eat Broccoli if it was deep fried in chocolate?

muskienick
08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I voted for X, Temple, UMass, and UD.

I'm not sure which was more stupid of me:
Voting for a 4th A-10 team to make the NCAA Tourney
or...
Voting for the Flyers to make "The Show"

I don't know why but I see the tendency toward favoring the Big 6 programs getting stronger. That would certainly hurt the chances of the A-10 getting four of its members in the Tourney.

As far as the Flyers are concerned, the more I think about their perceived problem at the point and their lack of a real stopper and finisher at the post, the less confident I feel about them making it. But I do think they have two excellent starters, 1 very good starter, and more depth than they have had for quite a while. Like the Muskies, much of that depth is very young and untested. But their pedigrees seem fine.

jdm2000
10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't see the A-10 getting four in, but it would be nice.

MADXSTER
03-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, at least we were right about Xavier.

Dayton and Rhode Island are the next two best shots at making the tourney.

I think Rhode Island has a good shot at getting in this year. They are currently 22-8, have won 9 of their last 10 and have an RPI of 46. They really need 3 more wins IMO.