PDA

View Full Version : Bennett a no go on IU

XUfaninJAX
03-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Tony Bennett has just pulled him self out of the running for the IU job

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3321105

Snipe
03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Indiana is finding this a tougher go than they thought. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

When you have fired three coaches in the last 8 years, one of which had three rings and another made a championship game, I guess it isn't a climate that is going to attract coaches. Especially with sanctions on the horizon.

Myles Brand killed the program.

LA Muskie
03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I agree it's going to be tough for them to find someone from a power conference. They've basically got two options: (i) a "name" who's not currently a head coach (ala Montgomery), or (ii) a rising star. I heard what Miller said after the game yesterday, and I believe 100% that he believes what he said at the time. But if backed into a corner, IU is the type of school that will be forced to make someone an offer they can't refuse. For my sanity's sake, I hope it doesn't get to that point.

joebba
03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I may have said something similar in another post but here goes:

I do not think any high profile or up and coming Div I coach is really going to want to go to IU with the NCAA infraction threat looming. I just do not see it happening. There are a lot of other quality jobs in Division I Men's basketball right now. If IU is smart right now they should stick with Dakich at least until some time after (maybe one to two years) the NCAA reveals its findings and penalties (if there are any). IU is going to be in no position to draw good players right now and they may actually find Dakich can get the job done. It must suck to be an IU fan right now. If were an IU fan I would be pissed at the IU administration for hiring Sampson in the first place. I personally felt he was a bad choice from day one. IU made their own bed and now they have to sleep in it.

Frank D.
03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Call me crazy, but I still think they have a shot at Bruce Pearl, if they want to go after him. No inside info, just an opinion.

I agree that the job is not as desirable as it once was, and the looming sanctions are going to dissuade some candidates, but once a coach gets the program up and running, I still think it is a really good job and it can still attract a big-name coach.

XU05and07
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Call me crazy, but I still think they have a shot at Bruce Pearl, if they want to go after him. No inside info, just an opinion.

I agree that the job is not as desirable as it once was, and the looming sanctions are going to dissuade some candidates, but once a coach gets the program up and running, I still think it is a really good job and it can still attract a big-name coach.

Bruce Pearl is the only big time name that would be a possibility there. He's already endured purgatory in this game and would be willing to move to the Big Ten. Any other coach would see IU as a step to the side or step down because IU has proven to be poison as of late.

Juice
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
I heard that Pearl already has said no, but has used the IU job as a way to renegotiate his salary which currently is at $1.3 million. I thought Pearl would take it, but who knows with half of these coaches out there. You can't trust many of them.

XU05and07
03-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Right along side the story about Bennett saying no is the story of Isiah Thomas saying that he hasn't been contacted

DUH...You aren't a good coach

IU not wanting to take more steps back than they already have (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3320987)

Masterofreality
03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Book Mike Montgomery.

He has the past success that will quiet the IU critics, he apparently wants the job, and he'll take the pay that IU can afford, because he banked good caish from his ill-fated gig at Golden State. He also has a clean track record at Stanford which makes the academiens at IU happy.

After his debacle in the NBA, he's ready to coach again.

joebba
03-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Right along side the story about Bennett saying no is the story of Isiah Thomas saying that he hasn't been contacted

DUH...You aren't a good coach

IU not wanting to take more steps back than they already have (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3320987)

I got a good laugh from your post and all it took was the words Isiah Thomas in the header. It would be funny if they approach a proven bad coach to come coach for them. He stunk with the Pacers and has had all kinds of problems with the Knicks. Go ahead. Hire Isiah. He will lead you into the desert for 40 years.

XBR1
03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I bet Thad would jump all overit.

vee4xu
03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Don't count Thad out. He has a trip to NYC this week for the Not Interested Tournament, but hell he doesn't care and lies too, so you never know with him.

Pete Delkus
03-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Here is to Van Halen Trucks blocking him as he enters Bloomington.

Billy
03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Their problems have a lot to do with Rick Greenspan. No one wants to work for him.

West is Best
03-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I actually think Isiah would be a good college coach. He struggles in the NBA beacuse he's put the team into salary cap hell with players who don't mesh. His eye for talent (David Lee, Nate Robinson) is underrated, and the fact that he can't trade players can only help him.

Also, being a star point gaurd will help him with recruiting, just like it helps Sean Miller. Its a PR nightmare if Indiana goes for it, but I think Isiah be very successful at IU.

XUglow
03-31-2008, 06:58 AM
This IU search is starting to remind me of the Alabama football search a couple of years ago. A former great power that still thinks that anyone and everyone would just jump at the prospects of having this job. They can't see their own warts and don't understand the problem. Like Alabama, the potential is great for the right man, however, most people don't relish rebuilding projects.

Frank D.
03-31-2008, 07:24 AM
I heard that Pearl already has said no, but has used the IU job as a way to renegotiate his salary which currently is at $1.3 million. I thought Pearl would take it, but who knows with half of these coaches out there. You can't trust many of them.

All I saw on Pearl was that he said something like he "anticipates" being at Tennessee, as long as they will have him. That is less than a definitive statement.

danaandvictory
03-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Book Mike Montgomery.

I bet he gets the Berkeley job. Pac-10 guy, Bay Area roots, chance to stick it to Stanford. It makes a lot of sense.

Jumpy
03-31-2008, 09:24 AM
I may have said something similar in another post but here goes:

I do not think any high profile or up and coming Div I coach is really going to want to go to IU with the NCAA infraction threat looming. I just do not see it happening. There are a lot of other quality jobs in Division I Men's basketball right now. If IU is smart right now they should stick with Dakich at least until some time after (maybe one to two years) the NCAA reveals its findings and penalties (if there are any). IU is going to be in no position to draw good players right now and they may actually find Dakich can get the job done. It must suck to be an IU fan right now. If were an IU fan I would be pissed at the IU administration for hiring Sampson in the first place. I personally felt he was a bad choice from day one. IU made their own bed and now they have to sleep in it.

I thought the same thing when Matta bolted for OSU. Sadly, money does crazy things to people. With that said, I agree with you in that they will find it tough to fill the job, moreso because I find it hard to believe that anyone would see it as a secure position based on the recent actions of the administration.

xu95
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
This IU search is starting to remind me of the Alabama football search a couple of years ago. A former great power that still thinks that anyone and everyone would just jump at the prospects of having this job. They can't see their own warts and don't understand the problem. Like Alabama, the potential is great for the right man, however, most people don't relish rebuilding projects.

Unlike Alabama though, IU won't make a hire that is going to put them back at the top.

xu95

Billy
03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I thought the same thing when Matta bolted for OSU. Sadly, money does crazy things to people. With that said, I agree with you in that they will find it tough to fill the job, moreso because I find it hard to believe that anyone would see it as a secure position based on the recent actions of the administration.

IU will have to compensate by overpaying, and likely giving their guy more years to compensate for the NCAA problems. If they can do that, I doubt the sanctions will mean much. In one sense, it means more job security.

If money is no object to IU (and reports seem to be conflicting), they will probably end up getting Sean, Keno Davis, Scott Skiles, or someone high profile to take it.

Juice
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I think Scott Skiles would be a great coach for IU. He had some success in the NBA as a player and coach and can relate that information to young players. He is also familiar with the Big Ten having played in it in college. He also was known as a disciplinarian as a coach for the Bulls. That usually does not translate well in the NBA with the egos and attitudes but it does in college. IU needs a clean image and a disciplinarian like Skiles would be great at IU whose fans are always looking for the next Bob Knight.

Muskie
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Allegedly, IU offered 2.5 million to Bennett and he said no.

dc_x
03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Allegedly, IU offered 2.5 million to Bennett and he said no.

Wow - Bennett was reported to be making $800k at Wazzu.

Muskie
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Not sure if that's a total number (including buy-out).

Muskie
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/742083.html

to the 2.5 figure.