PDA

View Full Version : (Some) UC fans crack me up

ATL Muskie
03-29-2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't looked at the UC board in a couple of yrs, not even during Shootout week, but I jumped over there today to see what they were saying about Huggins, WVU and X in teh Elite 8. Many of the comments were actually pretty favorable toward X but a few of them made me laugh:

"The Buffalo Wild Wings under University Park Apartments in Clifton, which is adjacent to the UC campus has decided to decorate their store front for the Elite 8 game tonight. I can't remember exactly what it says word for word but the jist is We're proud of our hometown team. It then has a huge XU logo and says Go Muskies! I just want to see how you all feel about this considering they have never done this type of thing in support of the Bearcats. For those who say that UC has not been in situations like this, we were playing for a Big East Title in football this fall against West Virginia and they did nothing like this. I personally am upset just because they haven't gone out of their way to say they support UC at any time, and there is a Buffalo Wild Wings in Rookwood Commons that is much closer to the Xavier campus so the arguement that this is the closest one is out. I know it seems silly, but it seems as if this business which is practically on UC's campus is stabbing us in the back! They'll need to earn my business back and that's a damn shame because I eat there quite frequently, at least 1 time per week. How do you all feel?"

"I am disgusted with myself that I have come to worry about little brother this much. I am about to get on a plane for Italy and won't be there until the game is over. I sure hope to arrive to good news.
However, I am concerned at how UCLA has played that they are ripe for the picking"

From our favorite, Eastside J:

"I do think believe he (Miller) is happy at X and I could see him staying for a while.

That said, you are headlong in full extension lean in thinking this proves X can compete for National Championhips. You still haven't played even close to a top contender-type team yet.

While WV was certainly the best you have faced so far, remember that this was a team that was really 7th or 8th best in the Big East. (Anectdotally, It was also a team that we polished off by halftime in their own gym.) WVU had the game in hand and lost it at the FT line, tough luck for them, good fortune for you.

Great season for X, but take UCLA and give the points."

Funny stuff. Like I said, many were saying nice things and I honestly can't say I would be rooting for UC were they in the same position. I just think it's funny to outright trash a team in the Elite 8 and pretend as though they haven't earned it. Good stuff.

cinskyline
03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
While WV was certainly the best you have faced so far, remember that this was a team that was really 7th or 8th best in the Big East. (Anectdotally, It was also a team that we polished off by halftime in their own gym.) WVU had the game in hand and lost it at the FT line, tough luck for them, good fortune for you.

This is laughable. What happened to UConn and Georgetown? :D

The mighty Big Least is vastly overrated.

DC Muskie
03-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Man I'm surprised there are no Final Four teams from the BE. How can that happen? Didn't you guys know that the BE is the toughest conference in basketball and that will mean they will steam roll into the championship game?

boozehound
03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
The Big East got handed their collective lunches in the tournament this year. Very unimpressive showing by the "Big" East.

xuwin
03-31-2008, 08:21 AM
The Big East got handed their collective lunches in the tournament this year. Very unimpressive showing by the "Big" East.

The Big Least and the Big 10 got handed their lunch in this tournament.

ATL Muskie
03-31-2008, 10:22 AM
What I find funny is the ridiculous comments (esp. from EastsideJ and others) who question whether or not X can compete for a NC. Um, two Elite 8s in the span of 4 yrs seems. Seems to me they're competing more than most programs who claim to be elite. I don't really care if Eastside J understands that, just that Sean Miller and the players do. That's all that matters, and I feel pretty good about the fact that they do.

GoMuskies
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
The Big East lasted approximately two hours longer in the NCAA Tournament than the A-10 and at least a week less than C-USA.

Stonebreaker
03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
The BE has some very young teams, I suspect WVU will get better under Huggins, as will UC as they rebuild. Syracuse is very young (and had some injuries). Next year should be a better year for the BE, IMO.

xeus
03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
What I find funny is the ridiculous comments (esp. from EastsideJ and others) who question whether or not X can compete for a NC. Um, two Elite 8s in the span of 4 yrs seems. Seems to me they're competing more than most programs who claim to be elite.

We've had 2 Elite 8 appearances in 5 years, not 4 - but that comapres very favorably with the rest of the world. I pulled this from Lance's blog, as sent in by Statman:

Elite company
From Statman
Here is a list of teams in the last five years to make multiple Elite 8's:
UNC - 3
UCLA - 3
Kansas - 3
Memphis - 3
Florida - 2
Xavier - 2
Louisville - 2
Texas - 2

xuwin
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't see UC improving next year. This years freshman class was almost a complete bust to the point that they started 3 seniors most of this year. Vaughn is the only scorer that I see returning from this team that quit on Mick at the end of this year. There were a lot of teams in the BE that were not only younger than UC, but, also much better.

cinskyline
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't see UC improving next year. This years freshman class was almost a complete bust to the point that they started 3 seniors most of this year. Vaughn is the only scorer that I see returning from this team that quit on Mick at the end of this year. There were a lot of teams in the BE that were not only younger than UC, but, also much better.

I agree. It seemed like only Rashad Bishop made a big impact. Now they have no experience. It'll be another rebuilding season at UC.

gladdenguy
04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
The BE has some very young teams, I suspect WVU will get better under Huggins, as will UC as they rebuild. Syracuse is very young (and had some injuries). Next year should be a better year for the BE, IMO.

Don't expect UC to get better next year. Don't bank on the lazy Yancey Gates either.
I love UC sucking and 4 straight years not going to the tourney.

bearcat65
04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't expect UC to get better next year. Don't bank on the lazy Yancey Gates either.
I love UC sucking and 4 straight years not going to the tourney.

Do you expect Dante Jackson to be no better next year? If not then what would make you think that UC's freshmen won't be better as sophomores? Anthony Mcclain had surgery to remove the bone spurs from his foot and should be better next year. Mike Williams was a former Mcdonalds All American and will be an improvement over Adam H. provided he can make a lay up. Biggest concern will be point guard. We will see about Gates but I'm glad UC has him coming in. An athletic 6'9" 260 lb Parade all American power forward will come in handy given UC's recent lack of size in the post.

Juice
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Mick is going to have to give Yancey the biggest kick in the behind ever, because he is the laziest player I have ever watched. The only UC freshman I saw promise from was Rashad Bishop. Mick did not give the freshman enough playing time and it might show next year. Dante Jackson did not play that many minutes but he played important, meaningful minutes and knows what it takes to get it done. Mike Williams is no doubt talented but the guy has not played competitive basketball in 2 years with the transfer and the injury. He will proabbaly be a little slow out of the gates next year. UC has some talent, but I wonder about experience.

bearcat65
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Mick is going to have to give Yancey the biggest kick in the behind ever, because he is the laziest player I have ever watched. The only UC freshman I saw promise from was Rashad Bishop. Mick did not give the freshman enough playing time and it might show next year. Dante Jackson did not play that many minutes but he played important, meaningful minutes and knows what it takes to get it done. Mike Williams is no doubt talented but the guy has not played competitive basketball in 2 years with the transfer and the injury. He will proabbaly be a little slow out of the gates next year. UC has some talent, but I wonder about experience.

Larry Davis showed flashes of being a very good offensive weapon, his defense is a problem though. Kenny Belton showed signs of being a capable back up but has the worst free throw shot I have ever witnessed at any level above 5th grade.
I agree with your point regarding experience but I think there will be more competition and more options at different positions than there have been in recent years which should encourage players to maximize their efforts. I think Gates will be pushed by Mick but more so by players like Vaughn and Williams. I can live with a slow start as long as there is improvement. I think it will be a much stronger team in the paint.

gladdenguy
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you expect Dante Jackson to be no better next year? If not then what would make you think that UC's freshmen won't be better as sophomores? Anthony Mcclain had surgery to remove the bone spurs from his foot and should be better next year. Mike Williams was a former Mcdonalds All American and will be an improvement over Adam H. provided he can make a lay up. Biggest concern will be point guard. We will see about Gates but I'm glad UC has him coming in. An athletic 6'9" 260 lb Parade all American power forward will come in handy given UC's recent lack of size in the post.

Anthony Mcclain sucks. Yancey Gates is lazy. Mike Williams hasn't played in 2 years. They went 13-19 and overachieved in a league that was down this year. Enough said.

bearcat65
04-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Anthony Mcclain sucks. Yancey Gates is lazy. Mike Williams hasn't played in 2 years. They went 13-19 and overachieved in a league that was down this year. Enough said.

Mcclain will get better, Vaughn was All Big East, Yancy Gates is a lot better than you claim (see what Moeller's coach had to say after playing him plus his game against BJ Mullens), don't know about Mike Williams but we'll see soon enough. There's also the old saying that says the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

Stonebreaker
04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I'll never understand the hatred for UC, just like I don't understand the disdain for X from UC fans. Same city, different conference. Hating doesn't make one team better, it just makes the person lose any perceived objectivity.