PDA

View Full Version : Kam Craft

XUBob
07-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Kam Craft , 6ft 6in, 180 lb. shooting guard from Buffalo grove Illinois has committed to X. Rankled 101 and a 4 star by 247 sports.

noteggs
07-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Looks like a great get! 84 ranked Nationally

https://247sports.com/college/xavier/Season/2022-Basketball/Targets/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OKEDZLv32g

xuphan
07-01-2021, 03:39 PM

Boom!

bobbiemcgee
07-01-2021, 03:54 PM
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2022/kam-craft-271885

whopper
07-01-2021, 04:42 PM
hard to believe we are we are looking at class of 2026 players now but seems like a good get

GIMMFD
07-01-2021, 04:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OKEDZLv32g

Yup, love the composite 84th nationally, offer list of Texas Tech, South Carolina, Nebraska, NC State, Maryland, and Iowa for major conferences, at this point our 13th highest recruit sliding inbetween Justin Cage and Dante Jackson, has a good shooting stroke, but can go off the dribble too, I love it.

noteggs
07-01-2021, 05:54 PM
Yup, love the composite 84th nationally, offer list of Texas Tech, South Carolina, Nebraska, NC State, Maryland, and Iowa for major conferences, at this point our 13th highest recruit sliding inbetween Justin Cage and Dante Jackson, has a good shooting stroke, but can go off the dribble too, I love it.

Yes shooting off the dribble will make him unique in today’s college game. Nothing like creating your own shot.

Xville
07-01-2021, 07:17 PM
Sounds good to me? Sounds like he has some jp swag in him, which I’m always a fan of!

xu82
07-01-2021, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the family, sir!

GIMMFD
07-01-2021, 09:49 PM
Yes shooting off the dribble will make him unique in today’s college game. Nothing like creating your own shot.

Lol exactly, not that I don't love our past catch and shoot guys (forever in my heart Brad Redford), but seemed at times last season the more catch and shoot types went through long cold spells in the season, so being able to get a bucket off the dribble is nice, though will be exponentially harder without those catch and shoot guys hitting shots.. it's a vicious cycle.

XUGRAD80
07-02-2021, 06:43 PM
https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2021/7/1/22560160/xavier-opens-its-2022-class-with-66-sg-kam-craft-basketball-recruiting-big-east

6’6” 4-star top 100 player from Illinois

xukeith
07-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Nice get! He can score consistently from drives, pull up jumpers and a three pointers.
I read he will be compared to JP but he already is ahead of JP in shooting at this time in HS.
Good wing. X needs either a pg to learn from Odom or another wing.

GreatWhiteNorth
07-02-2021, 07:44 PM
Good get. A tall guard who can score is always a good thing.

Xuperman
07-04-2021, 11:30 AM
There is no shortage of video on Cam. He is very effective scorer vs any competition that is in front of him, BUT he is noticeably right handed heavy and even tends to go right when attacking the lane off the dribble. Hopefully he is working on being less predictable because BEast defenses will certainly exploit those tendencies.

IM4X
07-07-2021, 04:16 PM
Nice stroke/ quick release. I like his confidence and fearlessness. He does remind me a lot of JP out there on the court. Might even be a little quicker. And yes it is impressive how well he moves his body to create his own shot or make better passes. Looks like a good get indeed.

UCGRAD4X
07-10-2021, 04:41 AM
I like the way he plays to contact and through contact. I know defense it not something that gets highlighted in these reels, but he can't make a ton of shots if he doesn't see the floor. The length helps and the tenacity is encouraging. The suddenness he uses to create his shots hopefully translates as well.

xukeith
07-10-2021, 08:57 AM
I like the way he plays to contact and through contact. I know defense it not something that gets highlighted in these reels, but he can't make a ton of shots if he doesn't see the floor. The length helps and the tenacity is encouraging. The suddenness he uses to create his shots hopefully translates as well.

If he can be reliable from 3, pulling up, and driving to the rack, all other players look to be benefit from it.

Hate to be a jinx but per Twitter Tyrell Ward (ranked either 48 or 51) will commit Monday at 3pm. He is a gigantic get .
On the 247 recruiting site Ward is getting X crystal balls by a Maryland analyst. Local analyst is saying all signs point to X landing Ward over Virginia Tech, Indiana, Louisville and LSU

xu82
07-10-2021, 10:00 AM
If he can be reliable from 3, pulling up, and driving to the rack, all other players look to be benefit from it.

Hate to be a jinx but per Twitter Tyrell Ward (ranked either 48 or 51) will commit Monday at 3pm. He is a gigantic get .
On the 247 recruiting site Ward is getting X crystal balls by a Maryland analyst. Local analyst is saying all signs point to X landing Ward over Virginia Tech, Indiana, Louisville and LSU

Not to get TOO far off track, but ESPN doesn’t even show X as being on the long list of schools recruiting Ward. I don’t know why they even pretend to follow college hoops recruiting. It’s just one more way they embarrass themselves.

xukeith
07-10-2021, 12:32 PM
Not to get TOO far off track, but ESPN doesn’t even show X as being on the long list of schools recruiting Ward. I don’t know why they even pretend to follow college hoops recruiting. It’s just one more way they embarrass themselves.

I cannot remember the last time I was looking up recruiting info and wanted to know what ESPN rankings were. I have grown to only care what rivals.com and 247 write up.

GIMMFD
07-10-2021, 03:14 PM
I cannot remember the last time I was looking up recruiting info and wanted to know what ESPN rankings were. I have grown to only care what rivals.com and 247 write up.

Yup, ESPN rankings have been really awful as of late, 247 is my go to, as they usually include a composite (which sadly does include ESPN rankings), so it's kind of a whole picture of all the individual scouting services. Obviously there's some disconnect associated every now and then (ie a prospect being like 40 spots higher in rivals than in 247) but it's mainly with football from what I've noticed.

X-man
07-10-2021, 03:40 PM

They also don't show the Craft verbal. They're pure BS.

XUGRAD80
07-11-2021, 03:16 PM
Xavier pledge makes statement at satellite event…..From Rivals
NATL
ST
POS
KAM
CRAFT

VERBAL COMMIT
7/6/2021
XAVIER
6'6" | 185 LBS | SG | 2022
BUFFALO GROVE
BUFFALO GROVE, IL
N/A
Kam Craft and his Meanstreets grassroots team played The Platform event a few miles away from where adidas held its event but the Xavier commit managed to make plenty of noise at the satellite location.

Saturday morning saw the Rivals150 guard score 22 points in an effort that included some mid-range jumpers, four 3-pointers and at least one dunk. Kraft’s was one of the more versatile efforts of the day. And while the future Musketeer already carries a lofty ranking, he’s certainly making a case to slide up a few additional spots when the rankings refresh next month.

UCGRAD4X
07-12-2021, 04:57 AM
He deserves a ratings bump for the hair alone.

I see NIL with Greatclips in the offing.

X-man
07-16-2021, 05:45 AM
Kraft is getting more notice, and looks to move up in the rankings according to his Rivals guy: https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/i-ve-got-five-on-it-five-prospects-who-should-rise-in-the-rivals150

XUGRAD80
07-22-2021, 12:33 PM
More love from Rivals

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/i-ve-got-five-on-it-five-commits-that-have-boosted-their-stock

IM4X
07-22-2021, 11:22 PM
More love from Rivals

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/i-ve-got-five-on-it-five-commits-that-have-boosted-their-stock

My favorite part: “His contributions on defense and the glass sometimes go under-celebrated because of his scoring.”

Good to hear X is getting a player who can do it all. He’s a prolific scorer, a tough defender and a solid rebounder.

whopper
07-23-2021, 06:44 AM
both him and Ward look impressive..hard to believe that I am watching players I wlll see play at Xavier when I am 70(if they stay).

xukeith
07-23-2021, 09:36 AM
both him and Ward look impressive..hard to believe that I am watching players I wlll see play at Xavier when I am 70(if they stay).

I am very excited with these 2 sfs. Ward can be smothering on defense like Naji. Craft is unique because he doen't just launch 3's. He is multidimensional.

X will be headed to final 4 within these next 3-4 years IMO.

xavierj
07-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Craft and Ward played each other today and guarded each other. Ward had 28 and 6 and Craft 19 and 7. Both handled the ball a lot and both can score at all levels it looked like. Crafts team won by like 4 or 5.

Xuperman
09-09-2021, 02:49 AM
These are some very impressive highlights!

https://wbsnsports.com/66-sg-kam-craft-lit-it-up-at-the-peach-jam-one-of-the-top-shooters-in-the-country/

The Peach Jam features elite competition, but I'm thinking defense is somewhat soft in these events.

Also, Craft is transferring to the Skill Factory prep school in Atlanta for his senior year.

https://www.journal-topics.com/articles/buffalo-grove-basketball-star-kam-craft-leaves-state/

I sure hope we can hold on to this guy!

xavierj
09-09-2021, 06:25 AM
These are some very impressive highlights!

https://wbsnsports.com/66-sg-kam-craft-lit-it-up-at-the-peach-jam-one-of-the-top-shooters-in-the-country/

The Peach Jam features elite competition, but I'm thinking defense is somewhat soft in these events.

Also, Craft is transferring to the Skill Factory prep school in Atlanta for his senior year.

https://www.journal-topics.com/articles/buffalo-grove-basketball-star-kam-craft-leaves-state/

I sure hope we can hold on to this guy!

The guy who runs the Skill Factory is Trey Scotti who was Xavier’s video coordinator last year and then promoted to director of basketball ops and shortly after took over the Skill Factory. Probably not a bad thing for Xavier.

xukeith
09-09-2021, 01:09 PM
The guy who runs the Skill Factory is Trey Scotti who was Xavier’s video coordinator last year and then promoted to director of basketball ops and shortly after took over the Skill Factory. Probably not a bad thing for Xavier.

Do players who already sign a LOI and then attend a prep school do so to get their body in better shape or to learn more skills before starting college?
I always thought many prep schools existed so that a player could demonstrate his skills and get the best scholarship offer.

xukeith
09-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Future X Teammate, Tyler Ward rose even higher on Rivals too. Up 9 spots to #36.

Xuperman
09-09-2021, 05:42 PM

This is fantastic info and probably news that most here are unaware of. I feel much more confident that Kam will follow through with his commitment. Thanks for posting!

nickgyp
09-10-2021, 06:43 AM
This is fantastic info and probably news that most here are unaware of. I feel much more confident that Kam will follow through with his commitment. Thanks for posting!

Gee, great news. I guess it is more important that Kraft is a truly great basketball player. "Scholar-athlete" becomes even more of a misnomer as years go by. Admittedly, I know nothing about the educational aspects of this prep school. Prep schools exist. Our David West attended one but I believe he still had a legitimate high school degree.

Locally, a very good LaSalle High School football team gets waxed by a "high school" team of mercenaries which only had recently waxed a Bishop Sycamore squad of football aspirants. Bishop Sycamore is apparently a "high school without walls". Gee, it doesn't even follow the vaunted disciplines of UNC's academic disciplines.

Sadly, the trend continues; and if this is the price Xavier's willing to accommodate then it portends to a day when I will recall a fonder day of Steve Thomas, Bob Pelkington, Bob Quick at Schmidt Fieldhouse. I have no idea how much any of those players were truly "scholar-athletes" but at least there was an effort.

Xavier
09-10-2021, 08:42 AM
"What ever happened to STUDENT athlete????"

Where the hell have you been for the last 30 years.

nickgyp
09-10-2021, 09:05 AM
"What ever happened to STUDENT athlete????"

Where the hell have you been for the last 30 years.

You are right; that was the term I was looking for. Long night w/o any sleep. Chemo and radiation for thyroid cancer will do that. Nonetheless, the observation is correct. Thomas More's women's basketball team loses its national championship title because of Randy Moss' daughter staying with a coach as she rehabs but UNC has no repercussions for its scandalous academic shenanigans.

Just an observation. That is all. I have bigger problems to worry about than the changing world of college athletics. Seeing it seep deeper into high school to me seems not to be a good thing or even something to cheer about. But if it carries Xavier to a final four someday then it will at least be good for the fans.

xukeith
09-10-2021, 01:54 PM
Remember in the '90's where X fans understandably bashed UC and Huggins for having transfers and not so academically up to par athletes?

Those were the days.

xudash
09-10-2021, 03:03 PM
You are right; that was the term I was looking for. Long night w/o any sleep. Chemo and radiation for thyroid cancer will do that. Nonetheless, the observation is correct. Thomas More's women's basketball team loses its national championship title because of Randy Moss' daughter staying with a coach as she rehabs but UNC has no repercussions for its scandalous academic shenanigans.

Just an observation. That is all. I have bigger problems to worry about than the changing world of college athletics. Seeing it seep deeper into high school to me seems not to be a good thing or even something to cheer about. But if it carries Xavier to a final four someday then it will at least be good for the fans.

Best of luck to you with what you are going through. Prayers.

nickgyp
09-10-2021, 04:45 PM
Best of luck to you with what you are going through. Prayers.

Dash:

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. In June, I returned with my daughter from M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston where she had just completed two years research as part of her surgery residency at University Hospital. We drove back and while we were awaiting her belongings to be received here, the delivery was delayed and she was not at the hospital the day her belongings arrived. Good thing. While we waited, she noticed a lump on my throat. Noticeable but not obvious but, "Dad, you need an ultrasound."

Ultrasound leads to biopsy to a diagnosi of rare form of papillary cancer, Treatable with thyroid removal. Four days later path labs back and anaplastic cancer found incapsulated within the tumor. Daughter and wife go nuts because that appears to be bad news. Finally reach ENT surgeon who tells my wife that I am "the luckiest man in the world as I got it all". Daughter wants me to go to MD Anderson to get examined but insurance issues delayed getting there. Local oncologist is not so sure it is all gone although CT scans and PET scan are negative with no spread beyond one lymph node.

Tri-Health sets up mapping, beam radiation and chemo to start in Cincinnati with decent prognosis. MD Anderson okayed insurance and a week down there put me in the same place as far as diagnosis and treatment plan. I am running with the local doctor's goal of a cure so I think I am in a good spot. First week of radiation has gone okay and the chemo (low dose) has been tolerable.

Can't really afford to lose any more hair and drinking the equivalent of all the water in Lake Michigan on a daily basis but if that's what it will take then no big deal. My daughter is a Xavier grad who even with a stellar high school record was turned down by Notre Dame (a school where six of my siblings graduated). I had long since abandoned any affinity for the Irish; and consoling her after receipt of that rejection letter is seared into my memory.

I like to consider divine intervention in play along the way. Had she not gone to Xavier, she wouldn't have done research at Cincinnati Childrens' Hospital or gained early admittance to UC's med school. Doors close and they open up. Several years ago, she caught an early melanoma on my neck that in six months would have been a major problem. She has been my angel and I am truly blessed. The overwhelming support by people I barely know has been unbelievable. I believe in prayer and thank you for yours as well.

Finally, your avatar of the football stadium is so appropriate for me as someone who grew up on Xavier football and who has fond memories of games at Corcoran Field.

MADXSTER
09-10-2021, 04:50 PM
WOW!

That is all.

XUBob
09-10-2021, 08:28 PM
Prayers sent your way, stay strong.

XUBison
09-11-2021, 01:48 AM

Yes, for sure. And for what it’s worth, you are right about the basketball/student-athlete stuff.

nickgyp
09-11-2021, 06:28 AM
WOW!

That is all.

Madxter:

Only God knows why things workout the way they do. When I was ten years old, I was struck by a car and I was in a coma for 11 days with an untreatable brain contusion. I wake up in a tonsillectomy ward with no idea what had happened.

Can't honestly say why I survived. Prayers worked for me but that same year I am sure parents lost children even though prayers were said.

Just have to trust in God's plans which are amazing but often difficult to understand.

nickgyp
09-11-2021, 06:31 AM

Thank you, sir! My faith and support system is strong; and your words and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Have a nice day!

nickgyp
09-11-2021, 06:45 AM
Yes, for sure. And for what it’s worth, you are right about the basketball/student-athlete stuff.

XUBison:

I appreciate your note. My observation is just that. Sports, in general, are just an opportunity for athletes and fans to divert there attention to endeavors that really don't change the world. We take joy in a win over UD or UC ultimately knowing that nothing of any particular consequence has occurred to better the world.

Not to diminish the accomplishments and efforts by the participants but when the cost seems to get too high then it may be time to take a pause. I hope that LaSalle's football coach answer of "No" to the question of whether the Lancers would ever play IMG Academy again in football was rooted in the fact that putting his players up against that machine proves nothing and affords them only a chance to get hurt.

Sure play the usual gauntlet of the GCL with St. X, Moeller and Elder and other local schools on a leveler playing field; and take joy in competing. Just keep a balance.

xukeith
09-11-2021, 10:53 AM
XUBison:

I appreciate your note. My observation is just that. Sports, in general, are just an opportunity for athletes and fans to divert there attention to endeavors that really don't change the world. We take joy in a win over UD or UC ultimately knowing that nothing of any particular consequence has occurred to better the world.

Not to diminish the accomplishments and efforts by the participants but when the cost seems to get too high then it may be time to take a pause. I hope that LaSalle's football coach answer of "No" to the question of whether the Lancers would ever play IMG Academy again in football was rooted in the fact that putting his players up against that machine proves nothing and affords them only a chance to get hurt.

Sure play the usual gauntlet of the GCL with St. X, Moeller and Elder and other local schools on a leveler playing field; and take joy in competing. Just keep a balance.

If balance is key in life, would we know or experience athletic accomplishments of X superstars? No Michael Jordans, no Tom Bradys.
We mere mortals would be maybe happier with balanced lives but those unbalanced athletic superstars are needed to make us X fans be fanatical and happy

xukeith
09-11-2021, 10:57 AM
Over the next two years, X has a great roster. Great forwards/centers all juniors and sophomores not to mention Cesare Edwards and Eliah Taylor for 2-4 more years. Add Odom, Jones, Kunkel, Kam Craft, Tyler Ward, and one young pg and another dynamic sf.

Looks like X foundation is very strong for top 3 in BE the next 2-3 years.

xudash
09-11-2021, 02:17 PM
Dash:

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. In June, I returned with my daughter from M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston where she had just completed two years research as part of her surgery residency at University Hospital. We drove back and while we were awaiting her belongings to be received here, the delivery was delayed and she was not at the hospital the day her belongings arrived. Good thing. While we waited, she noticed a lump on my throat. Noticeable but not obvious but, "Dad, you need an ultrasound."

Ultrasound leads to biopsy to a diagnosi of rare form of papillary cancer, Treatable with thyroid removal. Four days later path labs back and anaplastic cancer found incapsulated within the tumor. Daughter and wife go nuts because that appears to be bad news. Finally reach ENT surgeon who tells my wife that I am "the luckiest man in the world as I got it all". Daughter wants me to go to MD Anderson to get examined but insurance issues delayed getting there. Local oncologist is not so sure it is all gone although CT scans and PET scan are negative with no spread beyond one lymph node.

Tri-Health sets up mapping, beam radiation and chemo to start in Cincinnati with decent prognosis. MD Anderson okayed insurance and a week down there put me in the same place as far as diagnosis and treatment plan. I am running with the local doctor's goal of a cure so I think I am in a good spot. First week of radiation has gone okay and the chemo (low dose) has been tolerable.

Can't really afford to lose any more hair and drinking the equivalent of all the water in Lake Michigan on a daily basis but if that's what it will take then no big deal. My daughter is a Xavier grad who even with a stellar high school record was turned down by Notre Dame (a school where six of my siblings graduated). I had long since abandoned any affinity for the Irish; and consoling her after receipt of that rejection letter is seared into my memory.

I like to consider divine intervention in play along the way. Had she not gone to Xavier, she wouldn't have done research at Cincinnati Childrens' Hospital or gained early admittance to UC's med school. Doors close and they open up. Several years ago, she caught an early melanoma on my neck that in six months would have been a major problem. She has been my angel and I am truly blessed. The overwhelming support by people I barely know has been unbelievable. I believe in prayer and thank you for yours as well.

Finally, your avatar of the football stadium is so appropriate for me as someone who grew up on Xavier football and who has fond memories of games at Corcoran Field.

What a great story in the face of tough personal circumstances. Pulling for you Nick. My daughter is an orthopedic surgeon. Understand fully your pride and love.

Stay focused and beat this thing with positivity and your good medical strategy.

IM4X
09-11-2021, 03:55 PM
Dash:

Thanks for sharing your story. So happy for you are doing well. Amazing that your angel of a daughter was there and aware enough to see something and then made you have it examined/biopsied.

God bless!

whopper
09-12-2021, 09:22 AM
thanks for the very honest post..we need to know what you (and many others) are dealing with.It puts everything in perspective. I have 2 X grads in healthcare(nurse and OT) doing well and maybe my daughter(s) will be involved in my care some day. I often wonder why I have not had these issues YET(at 65) and hope I can face it when it comes.

nickgyp
09-13-2021, 01:39 PM
If balance is key in life, would we know or experience athletic accomplishments of X superstars? No Michael Jordans, no Tom Bradys.
We mere mortals would be maybe happier with balanced lives but those unbalanced athletic superstars are needed to make us X fans be fanatical and happy

I hear you. The athletic exploits of Brady, Jordan and others are inspiring as sacrifice and dedication are worthy attributes. As for the rest of us mere mortals, we can take pride in our Junior Olympic Bronze medals, CYO titles, the team work and competitive friendships developed; and, in fact, know that we did do well.

nickgyp
09-13-2021, 01:47 PM
What a great story in the face of tough personal circumstances. Pulling for you Nick. My daughter is an orthopedic surgeon. Understand fully your pride and love.

Stay focused and beat this thing with positivity and your good medical strategy.

Dash:

Hopefully neither you or I will need our daughters' skills. Not because of their respective abilities but if it means I never have a hernia or you having a torn rotator cuff then it would mean that we have survived the aging process. Congrats on your daughter's professional achievements. Just think if you did tear a rotator cuff and your daughter worked her magic then perhaps your 98 MPH fastball would resurface. See you on the mound!!!!

nickgyp
09-13-2021, 02:16 PM
thanks for the very honest post..we need to know what you (and many others) are dealing with.It puts everything in perspective. I have 2 X grads in healthcare(nurse and OT) doing well and maybe my daughter(s) will be involved in my care some day. I often wonder why I have not had these issues YET(at 65) and hope I can face it when it comes.

Whopper:

Kudos to you for the X grad family members in the healthcare profession. Individuals in this field are some of the most selfless and caring people that you would ever meet. The compassion needed to be there on a daily basis is remarkable; and like you, I find myself as I get older, the need for healthcare seems to increase. Hopefully, you will avoid needing their care but I bet that if you ever do need their care that you will be more than confident that you are getting the best treatment possible because you raised them right. And that is a really great feeling!

sirthought
09-14-2021, 07:29 PM
His stroke looks textbook, even on the shots in traffic.

xukeith
09-25-2021, 08:52 AM
His stroke looks textbook, even on the shots in traffic.

I always enjoy comparing recruits to past recruits at X. I use the 247sports.com site frequently. Ward is the overall higher ranked recruit for next season but Craft is the 5th best shooting guard in the nation. Looking back at recruits, the highest recruit from a guard standpoint was Semaj Christion as he was the 4th best pg in his class.
As good as Bluiett was among the nation, he was ranked as the 11th best small forward. Scruggs is 2nd best X recruit ever and he was ranked at the time as the 7th best pg.

Looking at past X shooting guards, Dez Wells was ranked as the 20th best shooting guard.

Bottom line. Craft may be the best shooting guard ever recruited to play for X.
Ward is in similar body to Naji Marshall and he loves defense. X is looking good.