PDA

View Full Version : Ex-X coaches

IM4X
03-20-2021, 11:25 AM
Chris Mack’s End of Season Press Conference

Just wanted to check in on how Mack handled not making the tournament. This was prior to his firing of Murray and Gaudio.
Wanted to see if he brought up X. Only a little bit at the 32:22 mark where he, true to form, threw two former X players under the bus while making a point about only missing the tournament one time while coaching at X.

We all know who the two players are and we all know how hard Mack works at not owning his part in failures under his watch. He may be an above average coach but he is also just fine with dumping on stepping on and disposing of others around him to save or even elevate his own ass.

https://thecrunchzone.com/video-chris-mack-end-of-season-press-conferen (https://thecrunchzone.com/video-chris-mack-end-of-season-press-conference/)ce

xavierj
03-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Chris Mack’s End of Season Press Conference

Just wanted to check in on how Mack handled not making the tournament. This was prior to his firing of Murray and Gaudio.
Wanted to see if he brought up X. Only a little bit at the 32:22 mark where he, true to form, threw two former X players under the bus while making a point about only missing the tournament one time while coaching at X.

We all know who the two players are and we all know how hard Mack works at not owning his part in failures under his watch. He may be an above average coach but he is also just fine with dumping on stepping on and disposing of others around him to save or even elevate his own ass.

https://thecrunchzone.com/video-chris-mack-end-of-season-press-conferen (https://thecrunchzone.com/video-chris-mack-end-of-season-press-conference/)ce

He is a clown and an overrated coach. Wouldn’t expect anything different from him. He will be on the bass fishing tour in a few years after he gets canned.

xavierj
03-20-2021, 12:02 PM
Chris taking some blows.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1373287625986076674

https://mobile.twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/1373303265488736260

IM4X
03-20-2021, 12:31 PM
He will be on the bass fishing tour in a few years after he gets canned.

And still finding ways to throw people around him under the bus (or boat) to save his own ass and deflect attention away from his shortcomings.

D-West & PO-Z
03-20-2021, 10:48 PM
The one thing I always thought Mack would have a hard time adjusting to or maybe be caught off guard by, was fans reacting to the things he posts on social media.

He posts a lot of family stuff/family time. I think its great for him and he seems to, as best as a big time college coach can, have found a good work/life balance. At X though, fans see posts with his family, or coaching his girls basketball team, or at his lake house and think "ah cute". At Louisville fans see this and think "why the F is he not recruiting, or at the office, or there is mack at his lake house again" etc.

Mack may not care about that, but I think it adds to the heat a little bit.

I would also bet the firings of Murray and Dino came from above Mack. Maybe not, but that is my guess.

UCGRAD4X
03-21-2021, 07:58 AM
The one thing I always thought Mack would have a hard time adjusting to or maybe be caught off guard by, was fans reacting to the things he posts on social media.

He posts a lot of family stuff/family time. I think its great for him and he seems to, as best as a big time college coach can, have found a good work/life balance. At X though, fans see posts with his family, or coaching his girls basketball team, or at his lake house and think "ah cute". At Louisville fans see this and think "why the F is he not recruiting, or at the office, or there is mack at his lake house again" etc.

I would also bet the firings of Murray and Dino came from above Mack. Maybe not, but that is my guess.

Or by the people above the people above the people...the shadow athletic administration (i.e. pimps and pushers).

Xville
03-21-2021, 08:13 AM

Although the pressure is definitely more at Louisville, my experience with fans down here is pretty tame. Most are still cool with the Twitter pictures etc. the fan base is more similar to x than say Kentucky.

Masterofreality
03-21-2021, 08:46 AM
Although the pressure is definitely more at Louisville, my experience with fans down here is pretty tame. Most are still cool with the Twitter pictures etc. the fan base is more similar to x than say Kentucky.

With all due respect XVille...
I’m from Louisville. *Most* of my family are U of L fans- big ones.
I can say with authority that A) Most of the fan base doesn’t give a crap about “cute” Tweets, they want wins.
B) They are absolutely not anywhere similar to X fans. They don’t tolerate tournament misses. Dumping 2 long time friends and assistants saved him for now, but another miss next year and he’s fishing,

Xville
03-21-2021, 08:57 AM
With all due respect XVille...
I’m from Louisville. *Most* of my family are U of L fans- big ones.
I can say with authority that A) Most of the fan base doesn’t give a crap about “cute” Tweets, they want wins.
B) They are absolutely not anywhere similar to X fans. They don’t tolerate tournament misses. Dumping 2 long time friends and assistants saved him for now, but another miss next year and he’s fishing,

I disagree but no worries and completely respect your viewpoint. I currently live here and my wife and inlaws are all ul fans along with most of my friends here.

xukeith
03-21-2021, 09:08 AM
I disagree but no worries and completely respect your viewpoint. I currently live here and my wife and inlaws are all ul fans along with most of my friends here.

Chris Mack has more grace time available before his firing. He has 2 more years to showcase a good team.

Masterofreality
03-21-2021, 09:13 AM

No worries. They are all passionate for sure. I’ve got my popcorn ready.

xubrew
03-21-2021, 10:26 AM
Just a thought here about "EX-X COACHES." Not really looking for an argument, but just wanting to throw something out there for people to think about...

Maybe we should all look at former coaches in kind of the same way we do former roommates or former colleagues, and NOT so much like former spouses.

I really like Thad Matta. When I first got to X it was a program that sometimes barely made the NCAA Tournament and almost always got bounced in the first game. My senior year we finished in the Top 25, were a 7 seed, and won a game. That just didn't seem possible. The next year we were ranked in the teens the whole year. The next year we were in the Elite Eight. It was great! I loved it! And, yeah, I didn't want him to go in the same way I wouldn't want roommates I liked living with to move out when we were having such a great time, but I don't hate him for it! We didn't get divorced. He didn't take half my stuff and try to stick it to me. He just moved to something else. I don't want to sit back and look at such a great ride and have the first thing that comes to mind "GEEZ, SCREW THAT GUY!! WHAT AN ASSHOLE!"

We've passed the 15 year anniversary of that first Elite Eight run and are coming up on the 20 here in the next few years. If we have that team back and those coaches back, Matta and Miller (who was an assistant) would get booed out of the building. If we did the same for the 2008 team here in a couple of years for the 15th anny, Miller and Mack would get booed out of the building as well. That does kinda feel backwards to me. I'm not trying to tell anyone how they should feel. You're free to hate any coach for any reason. I'm just saying that my own individual self thinks it's a little backwards, that's all.

Watching 40 minute press conferences looking for maybe one ten second reference to Xavier, and scouring the internet and social media, and bringing up old coaches again and again and again whenever they lose a game or don't do well, really does feel like the kinds of things jilted lovers would do after going through a divorce. Maybe try looking at former X coaches in different way. It was fun while they were here. Therefore, I'm glad that they were here for the time that they were. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Carry on....

Masterofreality
03-21-2021, 11:09 AM
Just a thought here about "EX-X COACHES." Not really looking for an argument, but just wanting to throw something out there for people to think about...

Maybe we should all look at former coaches in kind of the same way we do former roommates or former colleagues, and NOT so much like former spouses.

I really like Thad Matta. When I first got to X it was a program that sometimes barely made the NCAA Tournament and almost always got bounced in the first game. My senior year we finished in the Top 25, were a 7 seed, and won a game. That just didn't seem possible. The next year we were ranked in the teens the whole year. The next year we were in the Elite Eight. It was great! I loved it! And, yeah, I didn't want him to go in the same way I wouldn't want roommates I liked living with to move out when we were having such a great time, but I don't hate him for it! We didn't get divorced. He didn't take half my stuff and try to stick it to me. He just moved to something else. I don't want to sit back and look at such a great ride and have the first thing that comes to mind "GEEZ, SCREW THAT GUY!! WHAT AN ASSHOLE!"

We've passed the 15 year anniversary of that first Elite Eight run and are coming up on the 20 here in the next few years. If we have that team back and those coaches back, Matta and Miller (who was an assistant) would get booed out of the building. If we did the same for the 2008 team here in a couple of years for the 15th anny, Miller and Mack would get booed out of the building as well. That does kinda feel backwards to me. I'm not trying to tell anyone how they should feel. You're free to hate any coach for any reason. I'm just saying that my own individual self thinks it's a little backwards, that's all.

Watching 40 minute press conferences looking for maybe one ten second reference to Xavier, and scouring the internet and social media, and bringing up old coaches again and again and again whenever they lose a game or don't do well, really does feel like the kinds of things jilted lovers would do after going through a divorce. Maybe try looking at former X coaches in different way. It was fun while they were here. Therefore, I'm glad that they were here for the time that they were. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Carry on....

I know for years I would gloss Matta with Beaknose. Because he did piss me off- not so much for leaving but for being totally dishonest about it. The day before he was announced as OSU coach he vehemently denied having any interest in the job. What else could he say you ask? How about a simple “No Comment” and walk away. Small thing? Maybe but I do not suffer direct liars well.

IM4X
03-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Mack loses two recruits - looks like it may be related to the firing of assistants.

Maybe Steele is thinking of reeling in Murray after all to pick up some recruits. I would be completely fine with Luke rejoining Steele on the bench and having Bill in the seats.

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/two-de-commitments-add-to-louisville-basketball-turnover/article_58217632-89ad-11eb-867f-277900d0a813.html (https://www.wdrb.com/sports/two-de-commitments-add-to-louisville-basketball-turnover/article_58217632-89ad-11eb-867f-277900d0a813.html)