PDA

View Full Version : I am ok with the St. John's loss

Drew
02-18-2021, 04:43 PM
Y'all need to put some context into your discussions.

1. St. John's is a good team
2. Game was at St. John's
3. We have played 2 games in over a month, St. John's have been playing 2 a week
4. To my eye, we had a lot of good open shots, just missed them
5. 11/38 from three. If we make even 5 more of those to go a still poor 16/38 from three we win that game.

Alot of the complaints seem to be very subjective, lack of toughness etc. The fact is that as a gameplan I think it was decent, had our shooters not been shaking off the rust we would've won the game. Give St. John's credit, they played very well and beat us more than we beat ourselves.

GoMuskies
02-18-2021, 04:55 PM
It was 11-40. We shot 40 threes. 40. They suck at defending 2s.

Xville
02-18-2021, 05:07 PM
I’m not. The game plan sucked and we played right into St. John’s strengths. Horrible coaching.

bobbiemcgee
02-18-2021, 05:10 PM
Compared with what their coach has done with their program in in a year and a half when everyone expected a total meltdown, we suck.

XU_Lou
02-18-2021, 05:28 PM

3. We have played 2 games in over a month, St. John's have been playing 2 a week
5. 11/38 from three. If we make even 5 more of those to go a still poor 16/38 from three we win that game.

Alot of the complaints seem to be very subjective, lack of toughness etc. The fact is that as a gameplan I think it was decent, had our shooters not been shaking off the rust we would've won the game. Give St. John's credit, they played very well and beat us more than we beat ourselves.

Drew - your problem is that you're too rational and reasonable for most people on this board....

xuphan
02-18-2021, 05:51 PM

Seems like a lot of excuses and what ifs if you ask me. Bench rotation has been terrible. Why is Tandy not getting game time when he can shoot consistently from deep. Kunkle went 1-7, Scruggs went 1-6, Johnson went 2-11 from deep. When these guys aren’t making shots, put CJ or Tandy in there and give them a chance. The three of them each had an off night and Steele needs to recognize it and give others opportunities. I can live with Tandys inconsistent defense if he can make 3s. He should have gotten more than 6 minutes and should be starting in front of Kunkle in my opinion. Growing more frustrated with Steele as the season progresses.

UCGRAD4X
02-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Your post makes a lot of sense.

But who they played is, for the most part, irrelevant. It is more the pattern emerging from games leading up to St. John's. They just happen to comprise the most recent data point.

Much of the arguments may have a level if subjectivity as you rightly remark. Some of that subjectivity is mitigated by the repetition of similar actions and behaviors. If the actions and behaviors do not change with the different teams, that is more of an indictment not less.

Drew
02-18-2021, 06:21 PM
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401269650

Kunkel and Johnson (2 of the best shooters in the country) went a combined 3-18 from three. From my eye, most of those were clean open shots. I just think this game was a bit more a live by the three die by the three kind of game. Add in the rust and I am ok with it. I have seen Nova win 2 championships leaning on the 3 pointer, I don't think its an invalid strategy.

xuphan
02-18-2021, 06:45 PM
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401269650

Kunkel and Johnson (2 of the best shooters in the country) went a combined 3-18 from three. From my eye, most of those were clean open shots. I just think this game was a bit more a live by the three die by the three kind of game. Add in the rust and I am ok with it. I have seen Nova win 2 championships leaning on the 3 pointer, I don't think its an invalid strategy.

No problem with the strategy but Steele needs to adjust when guys like Johnson and Kunkle aren’t making shots. Leaving them in to miss more shots is not the answer. His job to make adjustments when guys aren’t getting it done and he did not do that for whatever reason. I do have a problem with him not making the necessary in game adjustments and sticking with guys who obviously aren’t at the races during the game.

xavierj
02-18-2021, 07:24 PM
No problem with the strategy but Steele needs to adjust when guys like Johnson and Kunkle aren’t making shots. Leaving them in to miss more shots is not the answer. His job to make adjustments when guys aren’t getting it done and he did not do that for whatever reason. I do have a problem with him not making the necessary in game adjustments and sticking with guys who obviously aren’t at the races during the game.

Say if Tandy and Wilcher took 18 threes between them. If they got the same looks, I am willing to bet they knock down at least 8.

xuphan
02-18-2021, 07:35 PM
Say if Tandy and Wilcher took 18 threes between them. If they got the same looks, I am willing to bet they knock down at least 8.

At least give them a chance instead of letting Kunkle, Scruggs, and Johnson throw up bricks all night.

Xavier
02-18-2021, 07:45 PM

I mean you can’t have it both ways. The whole board seems to agree the team would be better shortening the bench. “If guys aren’t getting it done we need to bring in people that will”.

I don’t think his minutes should’ve gone away completely but if we are trying to shorten the bench, he is on the short list. In large part because while other guys may miss shots, they seem to come while playing within the system. Most of Tandy is typically on his own, and he is in love with the worst shot in basketball. (Pull up just inside the 3 pt line)

AviatorX
02-18-2021, 07:47 PM

Maybe, but I’m willing to bet if they played that game over and Johnson and Kunkel got those same looks, so would they.

xuphan
02-18-2021, 08:04 PM
I mean you can’t have it both ways. The whole board seems to agree the team would be better shortening the bench. “If guys aren’t getting it done we need to bring in people that will”.

I don’t think his minutes should’ve gone away completely but if we are trying to shorten the bench, he is on the short list. In large part because while other guys may miss shots, they seem to come while playing within the system. Most of Tandy is typically on his own, and he is in love with the worst shot in basketball. (Pull up just inside the 3 pt line)

Scruggs, Kunkle, and Johnson did not show up against St. John’s. The bench is needed for nights like Tuesday when the starters throw up bricks all game long. The lack of using the bench cost us the game on Tuesday. We need CJ and Tandys scoring for nights when the starters are not getting it done. Disappointed Steele did not use his bench.

xavierj
02-18-2021, 08:13 PM

I’m not sure where the narrative came that everyone else plays within the system and Tandy doesn’t. So if Kunkel launches 7 threes and hits one he plays within the system but Tandy shoots 3 and makes 1 and he is not? Tandy didn’t do anything out of whatever system you are talking about last night. I thought he gave them good minutes considering he hasn’t played at all lately. He made a mistake after getting around his man with a pump fake and got his shot blocked. He should have taken it to the rim because it was open. Clearly the system right now is launching threes. Kyky over the last two years, is the most consistent three point shooter on the team.

xavierj
02-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Maybe, but I’m willing to bet if they played that game over and Johnson and Kunkel got those same looks, so would they.

Kunkel is shooting 28% from 3 this year. Tandy is at 38.5% and Wilcher is at 40%. Xavier has not been good from the three in league play so maybe play the best shooters more if the game plan is to launch threes.

Xavier
02-18-2021, 08:28 PM
I know it doesn’t look like it much but I think the system is driving and ball movement. Didn’t they say in the broadcast that Xavier leads the big east in assists? I think the issue and biggest difference from earlier in the year to now is they got complacent and strictly look for 3s. They actually started driving more and getting better offense towards the end of the game against St. John’s. I hope they get back to that going forward.

Regardless, the ball seems to stop more with Tandy. His seems more forced. There is a time and place for his skill set and St Johns may have been one of those but for the most part it’s more disruptive. I could be way off but that’s how I see it....I do think he will be desperately needed next year.

xuphan
02-18-2021, 08:37 PM
I’m not sure where the narrative came that everyone else plays within the system and Tandy doesn’t. So if Kunkel launches 7 threes and hits one he plays within the system but Tandy shoots 3 and makes 1 and he is not? Tandy didn’t do anything out of whatever system you are talking about last night. I thought he gave them good minutes considering he hasn’t played at all lately. He made a mistake after getting around his man with a pump fake and got his shot blocked. He should have taken it to the rim because it was open. Clearly the system right now is launching threes. Kyky over the last two years, is the most consistent three point shooter on the team.

100% agree.

drudy23
02-18-2021, 08:45 PM
Steele has an obvious love affair with Carter and Kunkel.

Both should be contributing role players; however, both are put in positions to shoulder a burden they're not capable of shouldering. Another thing I simply don't understand with Steele.

I'd start and play Griffin over Carter; and I'd start and play Wilcher, KyKy or Jones over Kunkel.

Xville
02-18-2021, 08:52 PM

Both should be contributing role players; however, both are put in positions to shoulder a burden they're not capable of shouldering. Another thing I simply don't understand with Steele.

I'd start and play Griffin over Carter; and I'd start and play Wilcher, KyKy or Jones over Kunkel.

He loves himself some unathletic white guys.

It’s another problem I have seen with Steele. He is extremely slow to make changes...did it with q and has done it with carter to the detriment of the team. You are also spot on with kunkel. He’s not a be caliber starter but yet here we are, he was where he should have been, at Belmont. I seriously question Mack and cal’s talent evaluation if it’s true they wanted him, or maybe that was a bunch of baloney.

drudy23
02-18-2021, 08:59 PM
From the very beginning, he was a capable shooter that could come off the bench to space the floor and knock down shots. I think everyone was excited to get another shooter, but all of a sudden he's a starter and playing a whole bunch of minutes? Where did that come from?

He's also very streaky. When he's hot, let it fly. When he's not, it's better for someone else to be in there.

Just like Carter, he could be great in a role. But Steele is putting too much on him. I don't get it.

Wilcher, KyKy and Jones have massively higher upsides.

xavierj
02-18-2021, 09:02 PM
I know it doesn’t look like it much but I think the system is driving and ball movement. Didn’t they say in the broadcast that Xavier leads the big east in assists? I think the issue and biggest difference from earlier in the year to now is they got complacent and strictly look for 3s. They actually started driving more and getting better offense towards the end of the game against St. John’s. I hope they get back to that going forward.

Regardless, the ball seems to stop more with Tandy. His seems more forced. There is a time and place for his skill set and St Johns may have been one of those but for the most part it’s more disruptive. I could be way off but that’s how I see it....I do think he will be desperately needed next year.

That’s the thing with the St. John’s game. Kunkel didn’t have it and not playing Tandy at all in the 2nd half was bad coaching. Tandy played 6 minutes and had two assists and two steals. In 22 minutes Kunkel had 1 assist. In Big East play Kunkel has games from three of 1-7, 1-6, 0-5, 0-3 and 0-1. That’s a trend. Kunkel also has played three Big East games with zero assists and another game with 1 assist, so it’s not like he is doing a great job getting others involved when his shot isn’t falling. I really like Kunkel, just think it’s a shame that Tandy is being handled differently than everyone else.

bleedXblue
02-19-2021, 07:15 AM
That’s the thing with the St. John’s game. Kunkel didn’t have it and not playing Tandy at all in the 2nd half was bad coaching. Tandy played 6 minutes and had two assists and two steals. In 22 minutes Kunkel had 1 assist. In Big East play Kunkel has games from three of 1-7, 1-6, 0-5, 0-3 and 0-1. That’s a trend. Kunkel also has played three Big East games with zero assists and another game with 1 assist, so it’s not like he is doing a great job getting others involved when his shot isn’t falling. I really like Kunkel, just think it’s a shame that Tandy is being handled differently than everyone else.

Kunkel is NOT a high caliber Big East player. He's a kid who can knock down some shots. He's clearly not nearly physical enough with his stature and has average athleticism for this level. Another very questionable move from Steele. You have a kid in Jones that clearly brings way more to the table on both sides of the ball. Kunkel is a MAX 10-15 MPG guy.

xavierj
02-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Kunkel is NOT a high caliber Big East player. He's a kid who can knock down some shots. He's clearly not nearly physical enough with his stature and has average athleticism for this level. Another very questionable move from Steele. You have a kid in Jones that clearly brings way more to the table on both sides of the ball. Kunkel is a MAX 10-15 MPG guy.

No I think Kunkel can play at this level as he has shown that against Marquette and Butler and he put up 35 on Boston College and And 16 on Alabama last year, but right now he is inconsistent from three and would be better coming off the bench and not starting. He is a smart player with a good pull up game off the dribble and he really isn’t a bad athlete. Has some quickness and can jump, but to be effective he has to knock down shots. Last year he shot 39% from three on roughly 6 threes shot per game and his stroke looks good so I know he can be effective. One thing he definitely has to do is get stronger. That goes for a lot of the guys who will be back next year. So I would probably go with Jones and Witcher to start and bring Kunkel off the bench.

bleedXblue
02-19-2021, 07:55 AM
No I think Kunkel can play at this level as he has shown that against Marquette and Butler and he put up 35 on Boston College and And 16 on Alabama last year, but right now he is inconsistent from three and would be better coming off the bench and not starting. He is a smart player with a good pull up game off the dribble and he really isn’t a bad athlete. Has some quickness and can jump, but to be effective he has to knock down shots. Last year he shot 39% from three on roughly 6 threes shot per game and his stroke looks good so I know he can be effective. One thing he definitely has to do is get stronger. That goes for a lot of the guys who will be back next year. So I would probably go with Jones and Witcher to start and bring Kunkel off the bench.

he physically cant keep up defensively

So he has to score at a high level and be very efficient in order to offset that

xavierj
02-19-2021, 08:13 AM
he physically cant keep up defensively

So he has to score at a high level and be very efficient in order to offset that

That makes sense. That’s why I think the plan was to redshirt him. Will have to get stronger. I do think coming off the bench is best for him, although his game matches up with Butler pretty well.

AviatorX
02-19-2021, 08:29 AM

The guy has played 10 games at Xavier and was planning on sitting out this season to build strength until about 10 minutes before the first of those games. These are pretty sweeping statements. Also not sure what Jones/Kunkel have to do with one another. Kunkel has started a few games, one of which Jones wasn't available for and the others he played basically equal minutes to Kunkel, no? Very clear they are both a major part of the plan going forward. Not to mention Colby has started more games and played more minutes overall.

More Wilcher at the 4 and less Carter is a very valid critique of Steele's rotations at this point. I bet things are going to trend that way. Everything else just kind of seems like venting on the board.

xuphan
02-19-2021, 09:01 AM
The guy has played 10 games at Xavier and was planning on sitting out this season to build strength until about 10 minutes before the first of those games. These are pretty sweeping statements. Also not sure what Jones/Kunkel have to do with one another. Kunkel has started a few games, one of which Jones wasn't available for and the others he played basically equal minutes to Kunkel, no? Very clear they are both a major part of the plan going forward. Not to mention Colby has started more games and played more minutes overall.

More Wilcher at the 4 and less Carter is a very valid critique of Steele's rotations at this point. I bet things are going to trend that way. Everything else just kind of seems like venting on the board.

Kunkel could have still redshirted right? Not sure why the decision was made to not redshirt him if he isn’t ready. His 3 point offense has been very poor and he isn’t strong enough to compete against other guards in the conference. Not sure why people are defending him as a starter for this team. He should still be a redshirt or coming off the bench. People have every right to question why Kunkel continues to start over the likes of Jones, Tandy and CJ.

GoMuskies
02-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Kunkel could have still redshirted right? Not sure why the decision was made to not redshirt him if he isn’t ready.

He starts and is playing 20+ minutes. That should probably provide your answer.

drudy23
02-19-2021, 09:15 AM
I don't think anyone is questioning his place on this team. He, like Carter, can be a great asset if used correctly. We've seen it. Kunkel is probably surprised he's in this spot. He seems like a kid that will relish his role, whatever it is.

But he went from redshirting to starting and playing a significant numbers of minutes - with capable players playing behind him.

Kunkel can get hot and provide a great spark off the bench in SOME games. I think KyKy is the same way. Steele has to learn when and where to use these guys. Both struggle guarding bigger Big East guards - Kunkel hits big shots, KyKy has elite quickness and playmaking ability - use it to your advantage.

For my money, Jones should be starting every game. Wilcher should be seeing more minutes. At a minimum, Carter and Griffin should be splitting time.

It's not the players, it's how they're used. Figure out how to get the most out of your roster, and there's no doubt this is a lock tournament team.

whopper
02-19-2021, 09:24 AM
I don't think anyone is questioning his place on this team. He, like Carter, can be a great asset if used correctly.

But he went from redshirting to starting and playing a significant numbers of minutes - with capable players playing behind him.

Kunkel can get hot and provide a great spark off the bench in SOME games. I think KyKy is the same way. Steele has to learn when and where to use these guys.

For my money, Jones should be starting every game. Wilcher should be seeing more minutes. At a minimum, Carter and Griffin should be splitting time.

It's not the players, it's how they're used. Figure out how to get the most out of your roster, and there's no doubt this is a lock tournament team. you make good points but with Zach at 30 and Scruggs at 30 and Nate at 25 there are only 115 more minutes to spread out among Carter/Griffin, Tandy/Kunkel, Jones/Wilcher/Odom (not to mention Miles/Ramsey) which is only 16 min if each is used the same(and we lost Stanley who would have gotten 20). I think with those minutes everyone should play like Posh on St Johns, who wasted a lot of energy but got at least 3 tap from behind steals and 1 off rebound that changed momentum. How do you make that happen, be a coach and assistants that will have no comfort level in game and players who are hungry junk yard dogs.

drudy23
02-19-2021, 09:26 AM
you make good points but with Zach at 30 and Scruggs at 30 and Nate at 25 there are only 115 more minutes to spread out among Carter/Griffin, Tandy/Kunkel, Jones/Wilcher/Odom (not to mention Miles/Ramsey) which is only 16 min if each is used the same(and we lost Stanley who would have gotten 20). I think with those minutes everyone should play like Posh on St Johns, who wasted a lot of energy but got at least 3 tap from behind steals and 1 off rebound that changed momentum. How do you make that happen, be a coach and assistants that will have no comfort level in game and players who are hungry junk yard dogs.

There's probably some games that Kunkel (or KyKy) doesn't play at all, honestly. Some matchups just don't warrant it in Big East play. Just the way it has to be.

We don't need to play everyone. We just need to win games.

drudy23
02-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Rotation:

Paul - 30-32 Minutes / Odom 8-10 Minutes (more Odom if Paul is having one of his disappearing games - if Paul is having one of his better games, just leave him in)

Johnson 30 Minutes / KyKy or Kunkel 10 Minutes (or more if hot, and Johnson is off)

Jones 25 Minutes / Wilcher 15 Minutes (or flip flop/split depending on who's in a groove)

Free, Griffin, Carter and Miles - Free and Griffin probably getting the bulk of the minutes and starting - Carter and Miles for subs and foul trouble - I have no issue sitting Freemantle (and starting Wilcher) next game hoping to light a fire - his defense was atrocious.

Xavier
02-19-2021, 09:47 AM
I like that rotation. The team certainly missed Griffin the last two games, his presence will be nice moving forward. Without him it is just really hard because the coaches clearly don't trust Miles right now. I'd be ok with Kunkel of KyKy earning more minutes if they start proving it more when they get time.

RetireFiftyTu
02-19-2021, 03:26 PM
40 three's is a LOT. But Xavier got a lot of good looks from good shooters so it is tough to complain. Xavier's defense is what lost them the game. Let St. John's get way too many easy buckets and get out in transition too easily.

markchal
02-20-2021, 07:42 AM
Rotation:

Paul - 30-32 Minutes / Odom 8-10 Minutes (more Odom if Paul is having one of his disappearing games - if Paul is having one of his better games, just leave him in)

Johnson 30 Minutes / KyKy or Kunkel 10 Minutes (or more if hot, and Johnson is off)

Jones 25 Minutes / Wilcher 15 Minutes (or flip flop/split depending on who's in a groove)

Free, Griffin, Carter and Miles - Free and Griffin probably getting the bulk of the minutes and starting - Carter and Miles for subs and foul trouble - I have no issue sitting Freemantle (and starting Wilcher) next game hoping to light a fire - his defense was atrocious.

Even before he was eligible, Steele was talking about how the team would be better with Kunkel. I don't know how anyone can watch him and Tandy right now and think Tandy should get more minutes. Kunkel is more athletic than people assume (reminds me of JP in that regard) and moves off the ball a ton, he also is a decent passer and isn't a great defender, but isn't afraid to hit the floor to dive for a ball and isn't nearly the deficit on defense that some of our guys are. There may be some games he's off and sees less time, but otherwise I think he's a firm 20-25 mpg guy, even at this level. The only time you notice Tandy on the floor is literally when the ball is in his hands, almost all of his offense is 1v1, and he's a ghost on D (it was smart to go zone when he did play). And like another poster said, he's gotta stop with those pull up 2s one foot inside the 3pt line.

I do think it would make more sense to start Jones though, and bring Kunkel's scoring punch off the bench. I'd love to see more Tandy, but also don't think it's a travesty when we don't.

I think most, if not all of Wilcher's minutes lately have come when we're playing 4 guards/wings, so I don't see him taking any minutes from Jones. Seems like he's taking some minutes from Carter/Free (they can't play forever with Griffin out). Either way, seeing more Wilcher and less Carter is probably needed going forward. And if Miles can't play better defense than Free (very low bar), he probably shouldn't see the floor.

bleedXblue
02-20-2021, 07:54 AM
Bigger issue now is that from the highly regarded class from two years ago, 1 guy is contributing significantly.

Tandy (little impact)
Miles (no impact)
Ramsey(no impact)

That's a big reason why we arent in a better spot right now.

AviatorX
02-20-2021, 08:29 AM
Bigger issue now is that from the highly regarded class from two years ago, 1 guy is contributing significantly.

Tandy (little impact)
Miles (no impact)
Ramsey(no impact)

That's a big reason why we arent in a better spot right now.

Yup. But in Steele's defense, Miles was always a long-term project and has only been eligible for 15 games (and he has been injured off and on) and Ramsey very clearly has something going on health-wise we will never know about which is why he basically isn't even on the team.

The Tandy situation has been beat to death.

bleedXblue
02-20-2021, 08:44 AM
Yup. But in Steele's defense, Miles was always a long-term project and has only been eligible for 15 games (and he has been injured off and on) and Ramsey very clearly has something going on health-wise we will never know about which is why he basically isn't even on the team.

The Tandy situation has been beat to death.

Yep, but again, you want to move a program forward you cant bring in 4 guys and have 1 contributing right now. However you want to look at it, the class has been a disappointment so far. Sure it can recover and maybe improve next year. You never know.

AviatorX
02-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Yep, but again, you want to move a program forward you cant bring in 4 guys and have 1 contributing right now. However you want to look at it, the class has been a disappointment so far. Sure it can recover and maybe improve next year. You never know.

Totally agreed. Also think you can throw Kunkel in with that class.

Masterofreality
02-20-2021, 11:38 AM

This ^^^

Masterofreality
02-20-2021, 11:46 AM
I don't think anyone is questioning his place on this team. He, like Carter, can be a great asset if used correctly. We've seen it. Kunkel is probably surprised he's in this spot. He seems like a kid that will relish his role, whatever it is.

Kunkel can get hot and provide a great spark off the bench in SOME games. I think KyKy is the same way. Steele has to learn when and where to use these guys. Both struggle guarding bigger Big East guards - Kunkel hits big shots, KyKy has elite quickness and playmaking ability - use it to your advantage.

It's not the players, it's how they're used. Figure out how to get the most out of your roster, and there's no doubt this is a lock tournament team.

Steele continues to be too locked into Xavier Way Practice Points.
I know I've beaten this to death, but some players are PTPer's and some are practice gym players. A coach has to recognize that.
Steele has started Carter every freaking game because of his practice points regardless of his lousy in-game real contributions. The fact that he can't even shoot 60% from the damn free throw line tells you that he freezes up under the hot lights.
Either that blasted Practice Points system is flawed or Steele is just seeing what he wants to see rather than reality.
Production on the stage should count.

Drew
02-20-2021, 03:48 PM
Steele continues to be too locked into Xavier Way Practice Points.
I know I've beaten this to death, but some players are PTPer's and some are practice gym players. A coach has to recognize that.
Steele has started Carter every freaking game because of his practice points regardless of his lousy in-game real contributions. The fact that he can't even shoot 60% from the damn free throw line tells you that he freezes up under the hot lights.
Either that blasted Practice Points system is flawed or Steele is just seeing what he wants to see rather than reality.
Production on the stage should count.

I think Steele is just more of a system coach. He looks at the team as a unit as opposed to individual players. Kunkel and Carter jus fit the system. Nobody had any complaints about this when we were winning, but now that we have lost some its abhorrent.

Unless another covid pause hits, I think the system will work and we will not only make the tournament, but make it to the second weekend.

xukeith
02-20-2021, 04:35 PM
I think Steele is just more of a system coach. He looks at the team as a unit as opposed to individual players. Kunkel and Carter jus fit the system. Nobody had any complaints about this when we were winning, but now that we have lost some its abhorrent.

Unless another covid pause hits, I think the system will work and we will not only make the tournament, but make it to the second weekend.

As much as I cringe when Kunkel shoots 3s, I know why he shoots them and plays hustle defense and offensive rebounding.
KyKy is a gunner. He rarely plays defense as a short 6 foot player. KyKy did get 5 rebounds back at Creighton. In this past SJU game, KyKy actually passed the ball once.
I still think due to his height and one dimensional offensive game, he is extremely limited.
Stick with the 3 frosh, transfers, Freemantle and Scruggs

xuphan
02-20-2021, 04:41 PM
As much as I cringe when Kunkel shoots 3s, I know why he shoots them and plays hustle defense and offensive rebounding.
KyKy is a gunner. He rarely plays defense as a short 6 foot player. KyKy did get 5 rebounds back at Creighton. In this past SJU game, KyKy actually passed the ball once.
I still think due to his height and one dimensional offensive game, he is extremely limited.
Stick with the 3 frosh, transfers, aFreemantle and Scruggs

Coach Steele. Is that you?

drudy23
02-20-2021, 05:24 PM

KyKy is more than one-dimensional - he's just only shown one dimension. He's athletically the most explosive player on the team. His quickness is off the charts. He needs to use it more to get to the rim, finish, or get opportunities for others. He's completely abandoned that aspect of his game. This team also desperately needs another guard to be able to penetrate defenses to make it harder to guard.

And I don't think people cringe when Kunkel shoots 3s - he's a good shooter, but he's one of many that automatically triggers up the first potential look he gets.

GoMuskies
02-20-2021, 09:02 PM
Lol, DePaul won at St. John's. No problem getting our asses kicked by those guys!

AviatorX
02-20-2021, 09:10 PM
KyKy is more than one-dimensional - he's just only shown one dimension. He's athletically the most explosive player on the team. His quickness is off the charts. He needs to use it more to get to the rim, finish, or get opportunities for others. He's completely abandoned that aspect of his game. This team also desperately needs another guard to be able to penetrate defenses to make it harder to guard.

And I don't think people cringe when Kunkel shoots 3s - he's a good shooter, but he's one of many that automatically triggers up the first potential look he gets.

Pretty much 100% this. There's definitely a chicken/egg debate to be had with KyKy, but in limited action he certainly doesn't show any desire to expand his game that way.

xavierj
02-20-2021, 09:28 PM

How do you pass the ball once and get two assists? That has to be some kind of magic he pulled. On the season Kunkel has 1 offensive rebound and Kyky 2. Not sure what games you are actually watching. They both average about the same amount of rebounds so neither one is much of a rebounder, but Kyky is more athletic.

bleedXblue
02-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Pretty much 100% this. There's definitely a chicken/egg debate to be had with KyKy, but in limited action he certainly doesn't show any desire to expand his game that way.

My biggest head scratcher is this. He just doesn't want to use his god given ability to get into the lane more often create some contact and add another dimension to his game.

UCGRAD4X
02-21-2021, 12:19 PM
Maybe coach is saving him for the tourney. A Kyky sneak attack. They won't know what hit 'em.

N67ER
02-21-2021, 12:59 PM
Re KyKy: If he is so athletic and so quick, why can’t he play good defense? He is about same size as Posh, the best small guard defender in the league. Kunkel plays better defense and has several inches on KyKy. If KyKy is so quick and has such good hops, why is he so shy about taking it to the hoop instead of settling for pull ups, which he doesn’t hit very often? He has an average handle for a guard and is not a good passer. Kunkel has a better handle and is a much better passer. I do not not agree that Kunkel is not athletic. He can both run and jump. What he presently lacks is strength, which hopefully will be addressed before next season.

Agree we should see Jones starting and more minutes from Witcher.

drudy23
02-21-2021, 01:05 PM
Re KyKy: If he is so athletic and so quick, why can’t he play good defense?

Basketball IQ.

You're right though - he could be better. It's also desire.

I don't have a huge issue with how they've used KyKy. He kind of digs his own grave most times.

My main issue is how it's been allowed to get away from the offensive execution we saw early in the season, and the inability to adapt when defenses change.