PDA

View Full Version : Naji and the NBA

JTG
11-18-2020, 09:18 AM
Supposedly the Pacers are seriously looking at Marshall for their mid 50s pick in tonite's NBA draft. Partially due to the fact of how high they are on Sumner, another X product with shooting issues, but an NBA body. If nothing else he 'll be trade bait throw in for the Pacers quest to unload Miles Turner and get Gordon Hayward.

Xavier
11-18-2020, 09:50 AM
I'd say he has about a 50/50 shot of drafted in the 2nd round. The only concern is that teams love spending 2nd round picks on overseas players so they can keep them over there for 3 years and see what they become.

STL_XUfan
11-18-2020, 10:31 AM
I'd say he has about a 50/50 shot of drafted in the 2nd round. The only concern is that teams love spending 2nd round picks on overseas players so they can keep them over there for 3 years and see what they become.

Honest question, has that still been the pattern with the increased development of the G league? I figure teams would have wanted to start bringing these projects in house to control their development.

Lloyd Braun
11-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Honest question, has that still been the pattern with the increased development of the G league? I figure teams would have wanted to start bringing these projects in house to control their development.

Some teams have been known to burn 2nd round picks on guys they know will never play in the NBA. Their rights are used as a trade piece later down the line when a player or pick need to be exchanged. The success rate on 2nd round picks is low as it is so sometimes it’s better to draft someone you know won’t be around vs a guy who will be competing for a spot that you don’t have available.

JTG
11-18-2020, 11:22 PM
No Naji in NBA.
Alexander & Powell left at the altar also.

muskiefan82
11-18-2020, 11:24 PM
Guess he'll go overseas if he can't find a team that wants to take a flyer on him

bobbiemcgee
11-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Always thought he was a longshot, but he'll make a lot of money playing BB someday.

mid major
11-19-2020, 01:41 AM
With the 8th pick, the NY Knicks select Obi Toppin from DAYTON UNIVERSITY. Hysterical.

whopper
11-19-2020, 04:22 AM
Bey and Paul Reed only Big East draftees. I have a hard time following it now and the path seems harder than ever. There is now a HUGE disconnect between college and NBA...most can't be a fan of both anymore which used to be a given
No Naji in NBA.
Alexander & Powell left at the altar also.

Lloyd Braun
11-19-2020, 05:11 AM
Naji has a two way deal with the Pelicans. It’s a strange year without summer league, and many held the opinion it was better to be a FA than get drafted late in 2nd round. Best of luck to Naji.

Masterofreality
11-19-2020, 05:23 AM
Naji has a two way deal with the Pelicans. It’s a strange year without summer league, and many held the opinion it was better to be a FA than get drafted late in 2nd round. Best of luck to Naji.

Good. At least he’ll get paid some and not have to go overseas to do it.
This year is F-ed up.

bobbiemcgee
11-19-2020, 05:29 AM
https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/11/19/21574815/naji-marshall-xavier-two-way-contract-new-orleans-pelicans-ron-artest-kira-lewis-draft-free-agency

Lloyd Braun
11-19-2020, 06:05 AM
https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/11/19/21574815/naji-marshall-xavier-two-way-contract-new-orleans-pelicans-ron-artest-kira-lewis-draft-free-agency

Quote from the article: “ So, why didn’t Marshall get drafted yesterday? Because he’s a train wreck of a shooter.”

Wow that’s a bit harsh... He’s no Steph Curry but he is not a train wreck. He’s just not a go-to guy. I think it’s a steal as a spot up shooter he is at least average and possibly better. Not to mention he has hit some big time clutch shots. Good get for the Pels.

Tyrique should get a look today as a two way player as well.

bjf123
11-19-2020, 06:21 AM
...most can't be a fan of both anymore which used to be a given

I stopped being an NBA fan decades ago when they stopped playing basketball. Call the damned travel and carry and don’t coddle the stars. They can be touched and it’s not a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XUGRAD80
11-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Hard to be a fan when you don’t have a dog in the fight....

Cincinnati Royals
1957-1972
RIP

I was born in 1956 near Rochester NY (which is where they moved from in 1957) and was a sophomore in a Cincinnati HS in 1972, when they moved out to KC. I followed them almost my entire life up until then. After they left I swore off the NBA. I doubt I’ve seen an entire NBA game since then. Still hurts.

Xville
11-19-2020, 07:11 AM
Quote from the article: “ So, why didn’t Marshall get drafted yesterday? Because he’s a train wreck of a shooter.”

Wow that’s a bit harsh... He’s no Steph Curry but he is not a train wreck. He’s just not a go-to guy. I think it’s a steal as a spot up shooter he is at least average and possibly better. Not to mention he has hit some big time clutch shots. Good get for the Pels.

Tyrique should get a look today as a two way player as well.

Shooting under 30 percent from 3 in the college game at a position you need to shoot well, sounds like a trainwreck to me.

bleedXblue
11-19-2020, 07:13 AM
No surprise. Will be another fringe guy and IMHO, just not enough talent to gain a spot and make a career in the NBA. Should head to Europe, play 10 years and make some dough.

Lloyd Braun
11-19-2020, 07:21 AM
Shooting under 30 percent from 3 in the college game at a position you need to shoot well, sounds like a trainwreck to me.

Shot 35% from 3 as a freshman with less usage and over 70% from FT line shows some promise to not be bad. That’s not a train wreck...

XU 87
11-19-2020, 08:25 AM

I thought he was a good but not great 3 point shooter when he took good shots. The problem was that he insisted on shooting 3-4 step back threes every game with a guy in his face. He goes down in my book as one of the most frustrating X players I've watched. Very talented and the best player on the team. Often did great things. But also frequently made bad decisions (like his step back threes). His Kenpom Offensive rating last year was just a hair above average. I think that rating accurately reflects his overall play last year.

Masterofreality
11-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Shot 35% from 3 as a freshman with less usage and over 70% from FT line shows some promise to not be bad. That’s not a train wreck...

Compared to NBA peers, that is a train wreck for that position.

Xavier
11-19-2020, 08:43 AM
Trainwreck kinda describes his whole game IMO. His only speed was 100%, feel like he would just drive with no idea what he was doing. Crazy pull up shots, terrible turn overs, and wild 3's.

Some times it worked and he looked terrific (UC game)- but you never really knew what to expect with him from possession to possession. AFter that UC game I thought he was going to carry X and we were in good hands.

Lloyd Braun
11-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Compared to NBA peers, that is a train wreck for that position.

Compare it to his college peers that were drafted ahead of him at his position and there are a lot of train wrecks according to this criteria... Two in the top 5 of the draft actually:
Number 4 pick Patrick Williams 32% with less usage
Number 5 pick Isaac Okoro 28% with less usage

I don’t want to be on this hill defending Naji’s shooting because he is not a good shooter. But the hyperboles here are a bit much.

AviatorX
11-19-2020, 09:34 AM
Naji's game has some notable inefficiencies that were seriously amplified by the roster (or lack thereof) Xavier built around him. He is still a great overall package, in my opinion. A lot of the most frustrating parts of his game will fade away to an extent at the next level (NBA, Europe or otherwise) because he's not going to have the ball in his hands as a primary option. He will permanently play the role of his freshman year (where he was damn good).

I totally get why everyone was frustrated watching him and X these past few seasons, but damn I am terrified to imagine what it would have looked like without him putting the team on his back at many, many points, which no one else was willing (or able) to do.

I'll miss Naji and I think once we are back to winning and put some distance behind the beginning of the Steele era, he'll be more appreciated.

muskiefan82
11-19-2020, 09:56 AM
Guess he'll go overseas if he can't find a team that wants to take a flyer on him

Pelicans can fly

GoMuskies
11-19-2020, 10:01 AM
With the 8th pick, the NY Knicks select Obi Toppin from DAYTON UNIVERSITY. Hysterical.

Surprised he went so low.

GoMuskies
11-19-2020, 10:05 AM
And Naji was a godawful terrible shooter at Xavier. Not sure there's any way to defend the terribleness of his shooting. But supposedly he put in the work over the summer and is shooting much better. We'll see. I wish he'd have put in this work before his last season at Xavier. :(

bobbiemcgee
11-19-2020, 06:59 PM
BE no drafts

Naji Marshall - 2 way with New Orleans Pelicans

. Markus Howard - 2 way with Denver Nuggets
. Myles Powell - signed with Knicks
. Tyshon Alexander - 2 way with Phoenix Sun
. Romaro Gill - exhb 10 Utah Jazz

Xville
11-19-2020, 07:36 PM
BE no drafts

Naji Marshall - 2 way with New Orleans Pelicans

. Markus Howard - 2 way with Denver Nuggets
. Myles Powell - signed with Knicks
. Tyshon Alexander - 2 way with Phoenix Sun
. Romaro Gill - exhb 10 Utah Jazz

Saddiq bey was first round and paul reed was 2nd round

noteggs
11-19-2020, 08:23 PM
Saddiq bey was first round and paul reed was 2nd round

I think what Bobbie meant for those who didn’t get drafted from BE. Of course, could be wrong.

bobbiemcgee
11-19-2020, 08:36 PM
I think what Bobbie meant for those who didn’t get drafted from BE. Of course, could be wrong.

yes

Xville
11-19-2020, 09:00 PM
yes

Ah my bad!