PDA

View Full Version : The Big East is shuting it down (For Fall Sports)

basket
08-13-2020, 05:26 AM
For fall sports that is. Will the students all ready on campus be sent home? How could they not?

xavierj
08-13-2020, 06:10 AM
For fall sports that is. Will the students all ready on campus be sent home? How could they not?

Why would they get sent home? Aren’t they getting ready to start classes?

nuts4xu
08-13-2020, 07:50 AM

BE has cancelled fall sports, not school. The conference has no ability to dictate the actions regarding classroom academics of its member schools.

GreatWhiteNorth
08-13-2020, 08:22 AM
So sad to see this happening, but it’s for the best, I guess.

drudy23
08-13-2020, 08:24 AM
No way the Big East cancels hoops.

whopper
08-13-2020, 08:41 AM
this is a well thought plan for a bubble
https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2020/08/13/can-college-basketball-avoid-college-footballs-fate/3333416001/

Done in Columbus OH

boozehound
08-13-2020, 09:52 AM
No way the Big East cancels hoops.

Really? Personally I'm putting the odds at like 90% right now.

Jumpin_Jamal_Forever
08-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Really? Personally I'm putting the odds at like 90% right now.

The climate is so political you can make a case either way. Still, I'll take the other side and, if you wish, at 9-1 odds. Although I won't bet the ranch because so much can yet change.

But, Drudy23 has it, I think, Why? Follow the money. Costs nothing to cancel fall sports; costs a bundle to cancel hoops.

XUGRAD80
08-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Follow the money. Costs nothing to cancel fall sports; costs a bundle to cancel hoops.

From the President’s and the Board’s point if view, they have to weigh the cost of potential law suits against the amount of money to be made by playing basketball, while keeping in mind the lost revenue from no NCAA tourney last year, and possibly even next March. It might cost them a whole lot MORE money to play. The question is.....do they chance it?

Also...it might no make any difference what the BE decides to do....if the Ohio Governor says no college sports are allowed, then X won’t be playing. No matter what every other school is doing.

Jumpin_Jamal_Forever
08-13-2020, 12:40 PM
No question that even the threat of a lawsuit would make any President and his Board fear opening up. Which makes today's vote by the B12 commissioners to go ahead with fall sports a pretty ballsy move.

I still will take the bet the season goes on although your comment makes me wonder if fans will be permitted to attend. I don't know what consequences that decision might have on television coverage but assuming T.V. goes ahead, to me, that makes playing a whole lot more likely.

And, if they don't play, I might just slit my wrists! Wonder if that carries any weight with the administration.

xuwillie
08-13-2020, 12:54 PM
Worst case they’ll put the teams in a bubble and play.

MADXSTER
08-13-2020, 01:10 PM
I would think that there would already be some lawsuits over Covid from someone somewhere by now. Maybe I'm missing something. Some lawyer somewhere would be trying to figure out how to make some money off this if they could.

nuts4xu
08-13-2020, 01:14 PM
If some conferences play football, and others don't...do they still have bowl games? BCS standings? Crown a National Champ?

I imagine the conferences that play, will have their conference championships...but what is next? I just can't get my head around what the sport will look like with some conferences playing in the fall, some in the spring, some not playing at all. If there isn't a championship, they are just playing for the love of the game and for TV money?

Such a cluster fuck of a situation we have here.

JTG
08-13-2020, 02:30 PM
Worst case they’ll put the teams in a bubble and play.
This is already being talked over. The BIG discussing their season being played in Indy. And the entire March Madness being in Indy. Lucas Oil Stadium. 2 courts, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle, and a couple large high schools playing continuous games. per Matt Norlander CBS college BBall reporter, on Indy radio this afternoon.

atljar
08-13-2020, 02:52 PM
Does the fox Network money still get paid even without games?

I assume the network money is worth more to the universities than ticket sales?

GIMMFD
08-13-2020, 03:18 PM
No question that even the threat of a lawsuit would make any President and his Board fear opening up. Which makes today's vote by the B12 commissioners to go ahead with fall sports a pretty ballsy move.

I still will take the bet the season goes on although your comment makes me wonder if fans will be permitted to attend. I don't know what consequences that decision might have on television coverage but assuming T.V. goes ahead, to me, that makes playing a whole lot more likely.

And, if they don't play, I might just slit my wrists! Wonder if that carries any weight with the administration.

The 2021 NCAA Basketball executives are confident in making sure March Madness happens: https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Article/March-Madness-2021-NCAA-basketball-executive-COVID-19-150205641/

For the Big 12, the commissioners unanimously voted to play (per inside info on the WVU board I pay for), the general consensus from the members of that board (not the moderators, or beat writers for WVU) is that it's an easy decision for the Big 12 to say "yeah we'll play," because it leads to two possible outcomes basically with the other leagues cancelling already: 1. they play, and basically have all of the TV rights, media coverage, etc. leading to funding for the school in a time where it's going to be at record lows, or 2. the cases spike up when students get on campus, causing the schools to shut down and send students home, the commissioners can spin this story as, "look we didn't take football away from you, people outside of our control did," which makes them still appealing to those not so educated fans. Basically they're thinking that this is a great option to try to keep the most important revenue stream happy.

XU_Lou
08-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Also...it might no make any difference what the BE decides to do....if the Ohio Governor says no college sports are allowed, then X won’t be playing. No matter what every other school is doing.

I saw that on Banners. I can see how the Gov can dictate when sports are played in the state, but can he prevent XU from playing in another state? Especially if the BE does the bubble thing?

XUGRAD80
08-13-2020, 05:50 PM
I saw that on Banners. I can see how the Gov can dictate when sports are played in the state, but can he prevent XU from playing in another state? Especially if the BE does the bubble thing?

My guess would be that he would have no control over what they do outside the state. But, I would also guess that Ohio would not be the only state to have similar restrictions, so there may be other BE schools facing similar challenges to playing within their own state.

xuwillie
08-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Nebraska And Omaha is the best fit for that reason. They’re not closing

Lamont Sanford
08-16-2020, 06:39 AM
Nebraska And Omaha is the best fit for that reason. They’re not closing

Willie -

I have heard the same thing from a pretty well connected Nova grad friend. The BE will set up a bubble in Omaha starting Jan 1, 2021. Only way to play this year. No way they play games in the Cintas with fans. 0% chance of that happening.

JTG
08-16-2020, 10:16 AM
Why not a more central location? Omaha is the faaaaaar western tip of the conference. Does Omaha have a locale with courts, hotels, etc in proximity to one another?

xukeith
08-16-2020, 01:02 PM
Forget the conference bubble nonsense. Jus stay in your state and play round robins with 4-6 other teams. X, Butler, DePaul, Villanova all have states with at least 5 other d1 programs. In northeast, I am confident everyone is within 1 hour drives.

bjf123
08-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Why not a more central location? Omaha is the faaaaaar western tip of the conference. Does Omaha have a locale with courts, hotels, etc in proximity to one another?

Maybe Omaha has fewer cases of COVID-19 compared to Cincinnati, Indy, Philadelphia, DC, NYC, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulxu
08-16-2020, 04:59 PM
It's the closest city to Wichita.

Drew
08-16-2020, 05:29 PM
The more I read about cases having permanent effects (loss of smell, lung and heart function). I have become convinced its best to just cancel until next season. Vaccine will be out and readily available by then and the world can move on from this awful mess.

GoMuskies
08-16-2020, 05:39 PM

Kansas City would like to fight you.

paulxu
08-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Edit:

It's the closest BE city to Wichita.

xu82
08-16-2020, 07:57 PM

I hear Jack Straw lives there.

Muskie
08-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Omaha has the facilities to pull this off. I believe they used to host the MVC tourney. If you can host a conference tourney you can create a bubble. I'm coming to grips with the possibility of no fans at Cintas this year. Even if we have fans this year, I'm not sure that I would attend....

GoMuskies
08-17-2020, 08:21 AM
The MVC Tournament has been in St. Louis for quite some time. Thus, Arch Madness.

Muskie
08-17-2020, 10:12 AM
The MVC Tournament has been in St. Louis for quite some time. Thus, Arch Madness.

Correct. But I seem to remember it being in Omaha before that when Creighton was in the league still? Maybe I'm mixing memories.

Muskie
08-17-2020, 10:13 AM
Thank goodness they hosted in 1978 (the year of my birth) or I'd be completely wrong (Link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tour nament)). MVC has been in St. Louis most of my life. Don't know where I came up with my Omaha reference.

GoMuskies
08-17-2020, 10:14 AM
It's been in St. Louis since 1991. It was held in Omaha once, in 1978.

X-band '01
08-18-2020, 12:34 AM
I feel like Omaha should only serve as a bubble for Big East baseball.

paulxu
08-27-2020, 12:08 PM
I think I saw somewhere that the NCAA was giving an extra year of eligibility to fall athletes.
Assuming this applies to football and other sports, how does that work for scholarships.
Say you have 100 scholarships for football, with 25 in each class.
So your seniors get another year to play.
Do you get 125 scholarships? Do some guys coming in as freshman not get one so you stay at 100 and keep some of the seniors?
It would seem that every fall sport would be confused next year.

sirthought
08-27-2020, 06:55 PM
I understood the outcome to mean that teams would have all the new guys on scholarship, as well as the holdovers. I'm sure there will be a mixture of who stays and who leaves, depending on their chances at playing pro and/or where they think they are with a degree/masters degree. I'm guessing some guys will stay for another year of college glory and earn more college credits.

But it's going to hurt the new guys chances of getting as much playing time. I don't think coaches are too worried about that given the opportunity to have more experience/best talent on the field.