PDA

View Full Version : Big East off to a good start.

joebba
03-21-2008, 11:23 PM
As much as we gripe about the Big East, they have done well in the tourney. Looks like they will be 7-1 if Nova holds on.

Strange Brew
03-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Ollie Purnell must not be able to shake the UD tourney karma.

GuyFawkes38
03-21-2008, 11:32 PM
I've never questioned the Big East's basketball strength.

The Big East is by far the strongest conference in the geographically most populous area of the country (east coast/part of midwest).

Regardless, from a basketball perspective, the conference doesn't make much sense. There's too many teams. And the teams don't have a common identity and history. Even the relatively new group of A 10 schools have a similar idenity (small to medium liberal arts schools).

joebba
03-21-2008, 11:34 PM
There are 16 teams in Big East. They should probably end up with more teams in the dance from that view point.

Heck the A-10 has 14 teams. I think our conference has the 2nd most teams.

Snipe
03-21-2008, 11:40 PM
I think that Nova was the last team the Joey Brackets put in the dance.

I think by and large that is good for mojo. If everyone is debating that you shouldn't be dancing it fires up your players.

Last year Jay Bilas questioned us. Maybe you didn't hear about it. We they proceded to beat a ranked BYU team before coming within a point of taking down the #1 team in the nation.

joebba
03-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I think that Nova was the last team the Joey Brackets put in the dance.

I think by and large that is good for mojo. If everyone is debating that you shouldn't be dancing it fires up your players.

Last year Jay Bilas questioned us. Maybe you didn't hear about it. We they proceded to beat a ranked BYU team before coming within a point of taking down the #1 team in the nation.

Oh, I heard about it, over and over and over on this site (and the other one).

GuyFawkes38
03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
There are 16 teams in Big East. They should probably end up with more teams in the dance from that view point.

50 percent is solid. There's no shame in getting 8/16 teams in the ncaa tourney.

But I guess my point is that no matter what conference the top teams in the Big East are in, they will get in the tourney.

If you magically put Villanova in the A10, they would still be in the tourney consistently like X. Perhaps their recruiting would decline a little. But not by much if at all (is conference affiliation hurting Memphis...top players are drawn to coaches and the institution).

so my bottom line is that the bball teams in the Big East don't need the institutional services of the conference. But football is a different matter. Which is too bad. because from a basketball perspective, the conference is rediculous.

joebba
03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
50 percent is solid. There's no shame in getting 8/16 teams in the ncaa tourney.

But I guess my point is that no matter what conference the top teams in the Big East are in, they will get in the tourney.

If you magically put Villanova in the A10, they would still be in the tourney consistently like X. Perhaps their recruiting would decline a little. But not by much if at all (is conference affiliation hurting Memphis...top players are drawn to coaches and the institution).

so my bottom line is that the bball teams in the Big East don't need the institutional services of the conference. But football is a different matter. Which is too bad. because from a basketball perspective, the conference is rediculous.

Oops. I meant more than other conferences in a general sense, not more teams for this year. I was not very clear on that point.