PDA

View Full Version : Wrote an article analyzing the changes in Xavier's offense this season

jckund
12-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Thought you guys would enjoy.

Rush The Court - Xavier's Revamped Offense Starts in the Paint (http://rushthecourt.net/2017/12/06/xaviers-revamped-offense-starts-in-the-paint/)

Nigel Tufnel
12-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Good article. Thanks for posting. I've said it before and I'll say it again...coaching.

scoscox
12-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Good stuff. It is noticeable how much Tre and especially JP are hunting for shots around the rim. We have a lot of sets that allow for JP and Tre to make the decision to drive, shoot, or kick and they've done a great job making decisions and attacking out of those. Combine that with Quentin, Sean, and Tyrique finishing better around the rim, the addition of Kanter, and everyone's improved efficiency and our offense is excellent. The difference in the front court is probably the most significant change. Sean and Tyrique are greatly improved and Kanter is a huge upgrade being able to score efficiently from all over the floor. Rashid really struggled finishing around the basket last year.

I was a little surprised at how significantly our tempo picked up from last year, but I think Q has been trying to push the ball up the floor a little more.

MHettel
12-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Cliff notes version of the article

Last night: Jones, Kanter, O'Mara

41 Minutes
47 pts on 18-24 shooting
11-11 from the line
13 rebs
2 steals
2 blocks

GoMuskies
12-07-2017, 04:27 PM

41 Minutes
47 pts on 18-24 shooting
11-11 from the line
13 rebs
2 steals
2 blocks

DWest wants to know why they rebounded so little. He likes 18 when he gets 47.

scoscox
12-07-2017, 04:35 PM

41 Minutes
47 pts on 18-24 shooting
11-11 from the line
13 rebs
2 steals
2 blocks

I can't remember a time when we had 3 bigs each score in double figures. It's fun to see all the big guys succeed. They're all very different in how they play as well. It's interesting to watch. We are a poor man's Duke right now. Big, physical guards, elite wing scorers (actually I think we're a little better on the wing, does anyone have a better rotation than Trevon, JP, and Naji? is anyone even close?), productive depth in the frontcourt (although Duke's is on another level), and bad defense. If we can clamp down defensively we'll be a solidly top 5 team.

xu82
12-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Without naming names....remember when we used to scream at the TV for missed bunnies because we either couldn’t or wouldn’t throw it down? Missed bunnies were a common topic for a while. We still have some misses, but it’s usually while attacking the basket, not our big guys under the rim. I love how these guys (especially Tyrique) finish with vengeance!

Steve A
12-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Without naming names....remember when we used to scream at the TV for missed bunnies because we either couldn’t or wouldn’t throw it down? Missed bunnies were a common topic for a while. We still have some misses, but it’s usually while attacking the basket, not our big guys under the rim. I love how these guys (especially Tyrique) finish with vengeance!

Two words... Isaiah Philmore...

xu82
12-07-2017, 06:09 PM

...and there were some other members of the club over the years.

American X
12-08-2017, 06:35 AM

REC LEAGUE CHAMPION!

http://binaryapi.ap.org/907487acef6040ed929e8bf6d1bc6e94/460x.jpg

XMuskieFTW
12-08-2017, 08:08 AM
The three bigs last year averaged 16.5 points and 11.3 rebounds per 40. This year they are at 23.5 points and 11.6 rebounds per 40. A little surprised we haven't seen a slight dip in rebounding essentially replacing Gaston with Kanter. The jump in points is huge. If we can get 20+ per 40 from the bigs on this team, we are going to be very scary.

ArizonaXUGrad
12-08-2017, 10:06 AM
That comes from experience. We had three both years but this year it’s two seniors and a sophomore and the sophomore is better. Kanter is a surprise but some team will have trouble guarding a lefty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk