PDA

View Full Version : Taking aim at Bristol

waggy
03-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Very Interesting:

There is a PowerPoint presentation that has been making the rounds in league offices and among ad buyers for the past six months.

Distributed by multiple networks, the full color presentation uses a series of bar graphs to bash everything about ESPN. It describes ESPN’s multiplatform strategy as a flawed concept. It calls ESPN’s marketing machine a myth. It says that a sports property’s TV ratings consistently decline on ABC and ESPN.

The presentation, titled “The Emperor’s New Clothes: How ESPN’s Multi-Platform Strategy Hasn’t Improved Ratings,” looks to illustrate how sports properties such as the NFL, NASCAR and the NBA have seen significant TV rating and viewership declines on ESPN and ABC in the past year.

It’s a compelling read.

The PowerPoint presentation making the rounds among league execs and ad buyers attacks ESPN on several fronts.The report has made its way into ESPN’s offices, where it, obviously, does not sit well with executives. They aggressively take issue with its findings and dismiss the document as a product of network spin and corporate jealousy. They are angry at the networks that anonymously are distributing it, challenging those broadcasters to focus on their own sports business shortcomings rather than try to tear down others.

ESPN criticizes the report’s singular focus on TV ratings as myopic, and its top executives lampoon rivals that look only at TV windows and ignore the larger digital universe.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/58375

XUglow
03-20-2008, 07:26 AM
The story makes sense to me. I am cringing at the thought of Chris Berman at Augusta. Trust me, he will be there. He has no place being there. "Ohhhhh... there goes Tiger "Into the" Woods... back, back, back, back to the parking lot." Ugh.

Juice
03-20-2008, 08:52 AM
The only reason I watch ESPN is because there is a lack of other options for sports. I can only watch the sporting events and PTI, everything else is garbage. The decline of Sportscenter has been worst part of it all. Sportscenter now shows 30 second clips of like 4 games and then talks about the race, gender, and steroids issues until an urge to fly to Bristol to fight Scott Van Pelt comes over you.

XUglow
03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
ESPN hired Scott Van Pelt away from The Golf Channel for one reason and one reason only. He became good buds with Tiger in Orlando and could always get an interview with him. The down side is that they are probably terrified to discipline him or axe him now regardless of what he does.

Juice
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
ESPN hired Scott Van Pelt away from The Golf Channel for one reason and one reason only. He became good buds with Tiger in Orlando and could always get an interview with him. The down side is that they are probably terrified to discipline him or axe him now regardless of what he does.

I was just using Scott Van Pelt as an example. I could substitute about 20 different ESPN people and I would feel the same way. They are all miserable.

XUglow
03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
I was just using Scott Van Pelt as an example. I could substitute about 20 different ESPN people and I would feel the same way. They are all miserable.

Boo yah to that.

XU05and07
03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I enjoyed SportsCenter when it was highlights. The "analysis" they do now and reporting about issues in sports is pathetic. It has become as much of a sports gossip show similar to US Weekly or TMZ. Like I need to see that dumbass Pedro Gomez following Barry Bonds around like a needle about to be stuck in his ass. It's a joke...I think their commercials for SportsCenter are great. They get schools involved with mascots and they get other athletes involved. But the last thing I want to see when watching SportsCenter is Will Ferrell as Jackie Moon and doing a late night talk show knock off. Show me the highlights of the game and tell me the games that are coming up shortly. Don't have 45 people on the screen and tell me the Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl. Shit, maybe they shouldn't play the games anymore because ESPN had those 45 people get their face on TV and say nothing of significance. Stop repeating yourself and wasting my time. And if you are going to waste my time, don't give me false information. Get kids names right...Scottie Burrell? Come on. Give me the facts, not your skewed for NC or Duke misinformation.

Some stories are fine. I like the Make-A-Wish shows because they were inspiring stories. I like when they have Jeremy Schapp (sp?) confront Bobby Fischer. I like the story of the third world countries that struggle to practice team sports and struggle to succeed and do. I like hearing stories of the sports stars before my time so that I understand the history of our country and our culture. But I do not need to know that Tom Brady had a boot on his foot (TMZ broke that story) and I do not need to know what some "expert" thinks is going to happen in the NCAA tournament.

ESPN has become the equivalent of MTV and music videos. No music and no videos. Only trashy TV and things that have nothing to do with sports.

Rant Over

XUglow
03-20-2008, 10:21 AM
...and we don't really care if our athletes like their veggies with or without cheese. Budweiser Hot Seat... Thank you very little.

X-band '01
03-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I liked the piece they did in Florida where a bunch of high-school kids (football players) were out chasing rabbits in the sugar fields and wind up eating them once they're caught. It showed one way that they could recruit "speed" for all the SEC/ACC football programs.