PDA

View Full Version : pay the players?

xuinmd
10-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Several sportswriters are suggesting that paying the players is a partial solution. I don't see why the fact that the college is paying would keep the players and coaches from accepting more from shoe manufactures and/or agents. I would like to see return to frosh not eligible. This would force the pros to finance their own farm system. Also the players that don't really want the college experience would make room for those that do.

GoMuskies
10-01-2017, 04:49 PM
I think the stipend method being utilized now is fine. If the NCAA wanted to pool all the cash from the CBS television contract and give a portion of it to all D-I players in equal shares, I wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

smileyy
10-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Pay the players.

smileyy
10-01-2017, 05:41 PM
You'd have wanted Tre ineligible his first year?

JTG
10-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Do away with 1 yr rule, let players go from HS to NBA. That would cut out a lot of the pay for play in college.

X-band '01
10-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Or utilize the same rule that MLB does - you can elect to go straight from high school to the pros or go to college for at least 3 years. I think that 2 years would also be fair under such a scenario.

Juice
10-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Or utilize the same rule that MLB does - you can elect to go straight from high school to the pros or go to college for at least 3 years. I think that 2 years would also be fair under such a scenario.

Yeah but the MLB rules isn't that simple. They allow high school kids to have "advisers" (not agents, whatever), get drafted, and still decide to go to college. Players also can get around the rule by playing for community colleges and leaving at any time for the pros. International players can sign deals as early as 16 years old depending on what country they're from.

GoMuskies
10-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Also, baseball has real, established minor leagues that it would be basically impossible for basketball to replicate.

Juice
10-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Also, baseball has real, established minor leagues that it would be basically impossible for basketball to replicate.

An even better point, but the D/G-League is making improvements that are better for players who aren't NBA material right away.

XUMIOH12
10-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Do away with 1 yr rule, let players go from HS to NBA. That would cut out a lot of the pay for play in college.

but that's a rule the NBA made, not the NCAA

Fireball
10-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I wish the NBA would do what MLB does. You want to go pro out of high school? That's fine. But, if you decide to go to college, you're there for 3 years before you're eligible for the draft again.

bleedXblue
10-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Just what issue/problem are we trying to address?

You cant fix everything. There is no perfect system.

paulxu
10-01-2017, 07:28 PM

I think colleges have done a pretty good job of replicating them.

GoMuskies
10-01-2017, 07:30 PM
I think colleges have done a pretty good job of replicating them.

Fair point, but college basketball players are paid far better than minor league baseball players. And I'm not making a joke about college basketball players being paid. The scholarship and room and board are worth a helluva lot more than the average minor league baseball player is making.

xuinmd
10-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Pay the players.

I still don't understand how playing players would keep shoe companies and agents from adding more cash. Players get room, board, tuition and a cost of college allowance.

Juice
10-01-2017, 08:07 PM
I still don't understand how playing players would keep shoe companies and agents from adding more cash. Players get room, board, tuition and a cost of college allowance.

Because wage suppression creates black markets.

And you can't spend a scholarship.

xuinmd
10-01-2017, 08:57 PM

e.g. uc scholarship players get between $5000 and $7000 for cost of attendance.https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/08/20/ncaa-cost--attendance-cincinnati-bearcats/32062729/

D-West & PO-Z
10-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Dont usually agree with Bilas that often but he is so spot on in this article.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/12/jay-bilas-interview/nobody-would-put-up-with-this

D-West & PO-Z
10-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Dont usually agree with Bilas that often but he is so spot on in this article.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/12/jay-bilas-interview/nobody-would-put-up-with-this

I love this part, especially in relation to schools claiming they dont make any or even lose money on sports:

"When they talk about all of the expenses. Think about what the scholarship is. The scholarship is a dollar amount that is transferred from the athletic department to the school. So it’s the school paying itself. It’s like me paying myself for rent for my kids in my house. And then claiming I don’t have any money left because I paid myself rent for them.

"That doesn’t make any sense."

Strange Brew
10-02-2017, 12:06 AM
No.

Emp
10-02-2017, 12:20 AM

Starting point: College athletes arent employees. Legally or logically.

As the resident bleeding heart liberal, this topic continues to confound me. Any athlete on full ride is handsomely rewarded in ways no other undergrad can even sniff, even those few on academic scholarship or those who were born with the right parents.

But more to the point, what are you talking about, wage suppression. Of 340+ teams x 13 scholarship athletes in men's basketball, how many would qualify in a so called market for a seasonal wage/salary that would remotely be equal to the cost of the benefits they get now?

Wage suppression???? The supply of young basketball players willing to play for a scholarship and benefits far exceeds the demand now. Ditto the NBA, which has rookie caps. The black market? In under the table payment to players? Unless you are proposing an unregulated uncapped market, the problem of illegal payments will persist even if every player gets an identical salary of 10$K, 20K.........

Who is going to pay the players? The NCAA? The schools? That's not a good plan for Xavier vs the POWER 5 conferences, or just about any state school.

Can't spend a scholarship? Aside from the obvious lifetime benefits of a college education, name recognition in the job market, and the lifetime jock schmooze factor.....I'm at a loss as to how the college living expense allowance, a post grad life free of student debt, free room board books tuturoing, free publicity, exceptional health care, and tuition arent "spendable."

The miseries of the college athlete on full scholarship do not move me. The fact that the NCAA "makes money" on the division 1 football and basketball men's sports does not bother me a wit, since it continues to support thirty odd non revenue sports for three divisions and both men and women

Emp
10-02-2017, 12:34 AM
I love this part, especially in relation to schools claiming they dont make any or even lose money on sports:

"When they talk about all of the expenses. Think about what the scholarship is. The scholarship is a dollar amount that is transferred from the athletic department to the school. So it’s the school paying itself. It’s like me paying myself for rent for my kids in my house. And then claiming I don’t have any money left because I paid myself rent for them.

"That doesn’t make any sense."

Only at schools which make big money on the entire athletic budget, which is a small, minuscule, fraction of all Div 1 Schools. Ohio State, yes. Xavier, I don't think so.

Even if it is/were true, what's unfair or shady about it? The school shouldn't charge the athletic department for the cost of educating, housing and feeding student athletes? Just redistribute the cost to all the other students and teachers?

LA Muskie
10-02-2017, 01:05 AM
Only at schools which make big money on the entire athletic budget, which is a small, minuscule, fraction of all Div 1 Schools. Ohio State, yes. Xavier, I don't think so.

Even if it is/were true, what's unfair or shady about it? The school shouldn't charge the athletic department for the cost of educating, housing and feeding student athletes? Just redistribute the cost to all the other students and teachers?

Cost vs profit. It's not a novel concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waggy
10-02-2017, 01:24 AM
Bilas is one dumb bitch.

sirthought
10-02-2017, 01:26 AM
I say don't even talk about a wage for college players. Mainly, it's not fair to any athlete in any other sport. We don't want to inflate the importance of one sport over another any further than it is. Besides, you aren't coming to college to get paid, you're coming to get training in a field or discipline, which is what is happening. I think their tuition and sports training/classroom tutoring is ample compensation, but if the basketball players start earning more when the swimmers, tennis, track people, etc. are working just as hard this is going to be a nightmare to administer. And what happens when someone decides to strike for better pay? The ramifications could send this in so many directions, that I'd sooner wish that they end the athletic programs.

I'd support the NBA changing their rules more like baseball, but honestly I think the signs are clear that the league is leaning towards moving the 1-year rule to a 2-year rule. And frankly, I support that for the quality of NBA play, the excitement of NCAA play, and the growth of the players.

xuinmd
10-02-2017, 05:16 AM
Does anyone know if X provides a cost of attending allowance similar to what uc offers?

Juice
10-02-2017, 06:40 AM
I say don't even talk about a wage for college players. Mainly, it's not fair to any athlete in any other sport. We don't want to inflate the importance of one sport over another any further than it is. Besides, you aren't coming to college to get paid, you're coming to get training in a field or discipline, which is what is happening. I think their tuition and sports training/classroom tutoring is ample compensation, but if the basketball players start earning more when the swimmers, tennis, track people, etc. are working just as hard this is going to be a nightmare to administer. And what happens when someone decides to strike for better pay? The ramifications could send this in so many directions, that I'd sooner wish that they end the athletic programs.

I'd support the NBA changing their rules more like baseball, but honestly I think the signs are clear that the league is leaning towards moving the 1-year rule to a 2-year rule. And frankly, I support that for the quality of NBA play, the excitement of NCAA play, and the growth of the players.

We inflate the importance of men's football and basketball every day. Most sports that aren't those two have to split up scholarships between multiple players. No other team flies on a private plane like the men's basketball team does. Do you attend every ladies' game? Because their attendance doesn't look like you're treating the same as the men sports. When the hell did we start acting like all athletes across all sports are equal?

XUGRAD80
10-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Paying or not paying the athletes is not going to change one way or the other the basic human emotions of survival and greed that some people have. Even beyond that, for many many families of players, an financial windfall of 100-200K is a life changing amount of money. Imagine being a family that is living paycheck to paycheck in what most of us would consider deplorable conditions. Someone comes to you and tells you that if your son goes to school A they will give you a huge amount of money and that know one will ever know. Money that can change your world. What are you going to do? Or your an 18 year old that may have had a decent life and always had what you need, but not what you want. Same scenario with the money offer, but this time you are going to be able to buy just about whatever you ever wanted...jewelry, cars, trips......are you going to turn it down?

I know that at that age I would have been very tempted to take the money, even though I really didn't need it. No matter how much a school may be able to pay the players, it's never going to be able to compete with industry giants like Addidas and Nike. They are always going to be able to pay more. Pay the players 100K and they will offer 500K.

bleedXblue
10-02-2017, 07:36 AM
the players get stipends......i just dont know how much....but they do get some cash to spend.

D-West & PO-Z
10-02-2017, 07:39 AM

Ummm, too late.

D-West & PO-Z
10-02-2017, 07:40 AM
“'Boy, we pay the athletes and all of a sudden everybody is going to drop every sport.' So that’s riding on the athletes too. 'I better take less, otherwise the rowing program is going to go away.' Or, 'Nobody will be able to wrestle in college anymore.'

"That’s a lie. It’s all a lie. They are not going to cancel these programs if it’s in their interest to have them. They will continue to do it.

"And then they’ll say, 'Well, we aren’t showing a profit.' You’re not showing a profit because you spend your money as a non-profit. And what other person in the system is paid based upon profit? Because otherwise the coaches shouldn’t be making money—because they don’t make any profit. "

XUGRAD80
10-02-2017, 08:15 AM
“'Boy, we pay the athletes and all of a sudden everybody is going to drop every sport.' So that’s riding on the athletes too. 'I better take less, otherwise the rowing program is going to go away.' Or, 'Nobody will be able to wrestle in college anymore.'

"That’s a lie. It’s all a lie. They are not going to cancel these programs if it’s in their interest to have them. They will continue to do it.

"And then they’ll say, 'Well, we aren’t showing a profit.' You’re not showing a profit because you spend your money as a non-profit. And what other person in the system is paid based upon profit? Because otherwise the coaches shouldn’t be making money—because they don’t make any profit. "

Perhaps you're not aware that there have been hundreds and hundreds of "minor" sport programs dropped at colleges and universities across the country over the last 30 or more years? Since many of these had more than the 13 athletes that college basketball has, and the universities are supposedly there to serve the students, wouldn't it be in their best interest to have MORE students involved, not less?

If expenses for the "major" sports go up, and the money is not found elsewhere, it WILL result in budget cuts elsewhere in the athletic department budget. Since the courts have deemed that the money spent on men's and women's sports programs must be equal, if the expenses for MENS footballl and basketball go up, where else can they get that money other than by cutting more men's sports? They certainly can't cut more women's sports in order to support men's sports.

Simple arithmetic and business budgets.

bleedXblue
10-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Perhaps you're not aware that there have been hundreds and hundreds of "minor" sport programs dropped at colleges and universities across the country over the last 30 or more years? Since many of these had more than the 13 athletes that college basketball has, and the universities are supposedly there to serve the students, wouldn't it be in their best interest to have MORE students involved, not less?

If expenses for the "major" sports go up, and the money is not found elsewhere, it WILL result in budget cuts elsewhere in the athletic department budget. Since the courts have deemed that the money spent on men's and women's sports programs must be equal, if the expenses for MENS footballl and basketball go up, where else can they get that money other than by cutting more men's sports? They certainly can't cut more women's sports in order to support men's sports.

Simple arithmetic and business budgets.

stop making sense.....
I can already hear the the rowing team member complaining that he/she deserves the same amount of pay as the football/basketball player b/c they work just as hard and they make an enormous commitment to the school, etc. It WILL happen. That's the way these things work. If you start there will be no end until they start cutting out programs b/c of profitability concerns.

Caf
10-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Several sportswriters are suggesting that paying the players is a partial solution. I don't see why the fact that the college is paying would keep the players and coaches from accepting more from shoe manufactures and/or agents. I would like to see return to frosh not eligible. This would force the pros to finance their own farm system. Also the players that don't really want the college experience would make room for those that do.

Can you link some stories? I can't imagine a solid argument. Unless the amount they'd get paid was $100K like UofL paid.

Mel Cooley XU'81
10-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Pay them or don't pay them.

IDC.

Some cretins see rules as Things To Be Broken.

Won't make a difference to them.

(Probably written above in the thread.)

Snipe
10-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Starting point: College athletes arent employees. Legally or logically.

As the resident bleeding heart liberal, this topic continues to confound me. Any athlete on full ride is handsomely rewarded in ways no other undergrad can even sniff, even those few on academic scholarship or those who were born with the right parents.

But more to the point, what are you talking about, wage suppression. Of 340+ teams x 13 scholarship athletes in men's basketball, how many would qualify in a so called market for a seasonal wage/salary that would remotely be equal to the cost of the benefits they get now?

Wage suppression???? The supply of young basketball players willing to play for a scholarship and benefits far exceeds the demand now. Ditto the NBA, which has rookie caps. The black market? In under the table payment to players? Unless you are proposing an unregulated uncapped market, the problem of illegal payments will persist even if every player gets an identical salary of 10$K, 20K.........

Who is going to pay the players? The NCAA? The schools? That's not a good plan for Xavier vs the POWER 5 conferences, or just about any state school.

Can't spend a scholarship? Aside from the obvious lifetime benefits of a college education, name recognition in the job market, and the lifetime jock schmooze factor.....I'm at a loss as to how the college living expense allowance, a post grad life free of student debt, free room board books tuturoing, free publicity, exceptional health care, and tuition arent "spendable."

The miseries of the college athlete on full scholarship do not move me. The fact that the NCAA "makes money" on the division 1 football and basketball men's sports does not bother me a wit, since it continues to support thirty odd non revenue sports for three divisions and both men and women

I agree whole heartedly with The Emp.

If you want to get paid for playing basketball, you have several options both at home and abroad. If you think it is an injustice just getting a scholarship, go out and try to get a job getting paid to play basketball, and good luck to you. Someone else will gladly take your scholarship. There is no shortage of young men who would do anything to play D-1 basketball at a place like Xavier and get a quality education.

Snipe
10-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I think the stipend method being utilized now is fine. If the NCAA wanted to pool all the cash from the CBS television contract and give a portion of it to all D-I players in equal shares, I wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

I don't have a clear no idea what the stipend method is or what the amount of the stipend is. Do they get a monthly stipend? Do they get per Diem money for meals when on the road. I think they should get some meal money on the road. You go to NYC, being able to walk around and purchase a meal seems like a legitimate thing. Especially from kids from poor families.

Drew
10-02-2017, 11:19 AM
I know this is a dangerous concept, but what about the free-market?

GoMuskies
10-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Go right ahead. Start up a minor league professional basketball league based on free market principles. I look forward to hearing stories of your wild successes.

Drew
10-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Go right ahead. Start up a minor league professional basketball league based on free market principles. I look forward to hearing stories of your wild successes.

NCAA is pretty much on its death bed. 5-10 years from now players will have a union and be getting paid 6 figures. Can't wait.

GoMuskies
10-02-2017, 11:30 AM
5-10 years from now players will have a union and be getting paid 6 figures. Can't wait.

That's never gonna happen.

Drew
10-02-2017, 11:33 AM
That's never gonna happen.

Gays will never marry, weed will never be legal, etc. etc. Change happens bub, get used to it.

GoMuskies
10-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Change happens bub, get used to it.

Never gonna happen.

Drew
10-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Never gonna happen.

GoMuskies
10-02-2017, 11:45 AM

This has been covered.

[/ducks]

Juice
10-02-2017, 12:18 PM

The NBA isn't even free market. There are still rules and bargained for trade offs.

sirthought
10-02-2017, 02:24 PM

What a dumb suggestion. It's already based on free market. There are already leagues that pay players. It doesn't have to be on the backs of colleges and the taxpayers that support those institutions, if that system chooses not to pay the players. No one is making the players go there to play.

We see leagues in foreign countries have kids playing professionally at typical college age. Some fans would argue those players are getting the better deal and are improving quicker. Yet some kids from those countries choose to come to the states to play. They must see something in our system that offers an advantage. Either way, it's a contract that the player and the institution mutually decides upon. That's free market.

Drew
10-02-2017, 03:03 PM
The NBA isn't even free market. There are still rules and bargained for trade offs.

You are correct, the NBA isn't a free market because the rules are collectively bargained for with the NBAPA. I believe a similar thing will happen in college basketball.

flatspat
10-02-2017, 03:53 PM
stop making sense.....
I can already hear the the rowing team member complaining that he/she deserves the same amount of pay as the football/basketball player b/c they work just as hard and they make an enormous commitment to the school, etc. It WILL happen. That's the way these things work. If you start there will be no end until they start cutting out programs b/c of profitability concerns.

Title IX was a big reason for schools cutting some teams

XUGRAD80
10-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Title IX was a big reason for schools cutting some teams

Well sure it was......it was mandated that money spent be equal between men's and women's. Now what is going to happen if all of a sudden the MEN'S FB and BB team members suddenly start getting paid? They are goi g to have to spend the same amount of money on women's too. So that DOUBLES the cost of paying the men. School athletic budgets are already stretched to the limit in MOST cases, without paying the men's teams. For every school that actually makes money from the men's BB and FB teams there are several more that don't.

The only way they start paying those players if they spin them off into a seperate entity that is not really affiliated with the schools in any way other than by name only. In some way that Title IX rules would not apply. Otherwise the Title IX rules are going to cause real problems to those schools that are actually paying their players.

On the other hand....the VAST majority of college football and basketball players are not attending upper level D-1 schools and are truley student-athletes first and foremost. The NCAA and NAIA are perfect for the administration of those types of schools. Title IX works in those types of schools. But it fails miserably at control and admisnstration at what are essentially semi-pro programs. Schools that want to compete there need to seperate themselves from the rest.

GoMuskies
10-02-2017, 09:05 PM
I have a seventh grade daughter who has a shot to be a college athlete. If we can keep all this going until she gets there it would be great. Also, if this pie in the sky six figure salary for basketball and football is to come to pass, let's get that going in about 6 years so the schools are forced to pay my daughter similar wages.

GIMMFD
10-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Well sure it was......it was mandated that money spent be equal between men's and women's. Now what is going to happen if all of a sudden the MEN'S FB and BB team members suddenly start getting paid? They are goi g to have to spend the same amount of money on women's too. So that DOUBLES the cost of paying the men. School athletic budgets are already stretched to the limit in MOST cases, without paying the men's teams. For every school that actually makes money from the men's BB and FB teams there are several more that don't.

The only way they start paying those players if they spin them off into a seperate entity that is not really affiliated with the schools in any way other than by name only. In some way that Title IX rules would not apply. Otherwise the Title IX rules are going to cause real problems to those schools that are actually paying their players.

On the other hand....the VAST majority of college football and basketball players are not attending upper level D-1 schools and are truley student-athletes first and foremost. The NCAA and NAIA are perfect for the administration of those types of schools. Title IX works in those types of schools. But it fails miserably at control and admisnstration at what are essentially semi-pro programs. Schools that want to compete there need to seperate themselves from the rest.

Hit the nail on the head here. Not many college teams can afford to pay all of their athletes, of course you have the Texas', etc. that can, but you're telling me Northern Illinois is going to be able to pay everyone?? I just don't see how this is plausible in any regards. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.

Drew
10-03-2017, 06:57 AM
I have a seventh grade daughter who has a shot to be a college athlete. If we can keep all this going until she gets there it would be great. Also, if this pie in the sky six figure salary for basketball and football is to come to pass, let's get that going in about 6 years so the schools are forced to pay my daughter similar wages.

I understand that your kind dont like the thought of young blacks getting paid, but the NCAA is a dying organization. Not a question of if, but when.

bleedXblue
10-03-2017, 07:45 AM
I understand that your kind dont like the thought of young blacks getting paid, but the NCAA is a dying organization. Not a question of if, but when.

WTF?

You are part of the problem.

GoMuskies
10-03-2017, 07:56 AM
WTF?

You are part of the problem.

He's a raging asshole. It happens.

XUGRAD80
10-03-2017, 08:07 AM
........ the NCAA is a dying organization. Not a question of if, but when.

I disagree. The NCAA, which deals with many more schools like Western Carolina and Shippingsburg State than it does schools like OSU and Alabama, is not a dying organization. It will continue to be around for any foreseeable future. But what is happening is that the MAJOR conference football and basketball programs have morphed into something that the current NCAA is unequiped to administer and supervise. I don't see the NCAA going anywhere, but I see these "super" conferences setting up their own organization to oversee their own operations, independent of the NCAA.

The big stumbling block to that happening is Title IX and how the courts will apply that ruling to the football and basketball operations, and how their rules and regulations will effect the other so called "non-revenue" sports and women's programs. I believe that once they figure that all out the rest will all fall into place.

Changes are coming, but I think that the demise of the NCAA is not part of those changes.

GoMuskies
10-03-2017, 08:20 AM
I disagree. The NCAA, which deals with many more schools like Western Carolina and Shippingsburg State than it does schools like OSU and Alabama, is not a dying organization. It will continue to be around for any foreseeable future. But what is happening is that the MAJOR conference football and basketball programs have morphed into something that the current NCAA is unequiped to administer and supervise. I don't see the NCAA going anywhere, but I see these "super" conferences setting up their own organization to oversee their own operations, independent of the NCAA.

The big stumbling block to that happening is Title IX and how the courts will apply that ruling to the football and basketball operations, and how their rules and regulations will effect the other so called "non-revenue" sports and women's programs. I believe that once they figure that all out the rest will all fall into place.

Changes are coming, but I think that the demise of the NCAA is not part of those changes.

I think this pulling away from the NCAA by the "big" schools is possible, but I also think it would be a mistake. Football is the engine driving the bus for college athletics right now, but I am afraid football is going to face a day of reckoning soon with all of the CTE issues. Basketball is second on the agenda, but basketball's revenue is almost all tied to March Madness. Get rid of everyone but the power 5-6-7 (however many would be part of it), and bracketing/March Madness lose a lot of the luster.

xuinmd
10-03-2017, 08:34 AM
I believe that the value of the scholarship plus the stipend should be adequate compensation for the athlete who wants college and what it offers. For those who attend college only to showcase their talent for a year or so having that stage should be enough.

bleedXblue
10-03-2017, 09:14 AM
I believe that the value of the scholarship plus the stipend should be adequate compensation for the athlete who wants college and what it offers. For those who attend college only to showcase their talent for a year or so having that stage should be enough.

That's exactly what they get today....and people aren't happy...they always want more and more. And will never stop asking for it. Kind of like our government and Barack adding 8 Trillion to the national debt over his tenure. Spending what we don't have. There comes a point and time when all of this ridiculous, irresponsible spending catches up with you. But just keep pushing and asking for more. You're going to end up hurting more people than you will be "helping".

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 11:52 AM
That's exactly what they get today....and people aren't happy...they always want more and more. And will never stop asking for it. Kind of like our government and Barack adding 8 Trillion to the national debt over his tenure. Spending what we don't have. There comes a point and time when all of this ridiculous, irresponsible spending catches up with you. But just keep pushing and asking for more. You're going to end up hurting more people than you will be "helping".

The only people asking for more that are ever told no are the college kids.

Coaches want more? Done
School Presidents? Done

The only people who are ever routinely told no when it comes to this are the players.

bleedXblue
10-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Coaches want more? Done
School Presidents? Done

The only people who are ever routinely told no when it comes to this are the players.

And those individuals are held accountable to do their jobs, win more games, increase enrollment etc. etc.

Those that don't are fired or replaced.

Juice
10-03-2017, 12:40 PM
And those individuals are held accountable to do their jobs, win more games, increase enrollment etc. etc.

Those that don't are fired or replaced.

And given buyouts.

And players can have their scholarship rescinded at any point.

Smails
10-03-2017, 12:47 PM
And given buyouts.

And players can have their scholarship rescinded at any point.

True...but it RARELY happens when it comes to performance. Now if the kid is a turd, then yes coaches have been known to yank scholarships. If the kid turns out to be a bust, it's extremely rare that he/she has their scholarship revoked. They just get recruited over and get to ride the pine for free for 4 years. That scenario plays out a lot in CFB

Drew
10-03-2017, 12:52 PM
https://insiderlouisville.com/metro/gov-matt-bevin-says-college-athletes-should-be-financially-compensated/

"Gov. Matt Bevin says college athletes should be financially compensated"

Ruh roh, the wires are getting crossed. 5-10 years was my estimate, everyday I feel more confident.

XUGRAD80
10-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Coaches want more? Done
School Presidents? Done

Or the coaches and players of the programs that get eliminated to pay for the ones that get to continue.

I never saw a dime in monetary compensation for my efforts over 4 years, didn't even get the benefit of scharlarship money because there wasn't enough to go around. Heck it COST me money to train and compete. But what I got out of it was experiences and opportunities that the average college student will never have. I'd do it all over again. If an athlete is competing only for money, or only for a scholarship, they are the ones that really are missing out. It's a privilege to be a college athlete. I don't care how talented a kid is.

bleedXblue
10-03-2017, 02:13 PM
https://insiderlouisville.com/metro/gov-matt-bevin-says-college-athletes-should-be-financially-compensated/

"Gov. Matt Bevin says college athletes should be financially compensated"

Ruh roh, the wires are getting crossed. 5-10 years was my estimate, everyday I feel more confident.

in that state they already apparently get paid or are given sexual favors in the form of compensation

xuinmd
10-03-2017, 03:30 PM
I cannot believe I agree with coach K. Athletes should be able to go pro right out of high school. We encourage these graduates to go to foreign lands and possibly be shot but deny them the opportunity to make money using their athletic skills.

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 06:26 PM
True...but it RARELY happens when it comes to performance. Now if the kid is a turd, then yes coaches have been known to yank scholarships. If the kid turns out to be a bust, it's extremely rare that he/she has their scholarship revoked. They just get recruited over and get to ride the pine for free for 4 years. That scenario plays out a lot in CFB

No the scenario that plays out a lot more is "We dont see a place for you here, you should probably hit the road." Its a scholarship being rescinded without it being technically rescinded. But even still dont leave the school you were essentially forced to leave to go to a school in that conference. We are going to tell you to leave but also restrict where you can leave to.

I dont necessarily have a strong opinion that players should be paid. I think they probably should be. I think schools claim they cant because they dont make a profit on athletics which I think is total BS for most schools (for lots of well documented reasons). But I think its funny that fans seem to harp on the student athletes and act like they are the greedy ones and asking for too much. I mean what a joke. There is always an extra million around for the coaches. The players are routinely held to standards and rules that those who make millions are not held to. The student athletes have much more restrictions and rules to follow than the millionaire coaches.

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Or the coaches and players of the programs that get eliminated to pay for the ones that get to continue.

I never saw a dime in monetary compensation for my efforts over 4 years, didn't even get the benefit of scharlarship money because there wasn't enough to go around. Heck it COST me money to train and compete. But what I got out of it was experiences and opportunities that the average college student will never have. I'd do it all over again. If an athlete is competing only for money, or only for a scholarship, they are the ones that really are missing out. It's a privilege to be a college athlete. I don't care how talented a kid is.

No offense but I really dont care about any of these non revenue sports and neither does anyone else really outside of the people involved in them. Not trying to be a dick, but the argument that big time college football players or basketball players shouldnt get this or that because some guy on the tennis team (not you specifically) doesnt even get scholarship money is a not a good one to me.

If mens tennis or rowing, or whatever gets cut it will pretty much go unnoticed and not matter much in the grand scheme of things to 99.9% of people.

XUGRAD80
10-03-2017, 08:35 PM
No offense but I really dont care about any of these non revenue sports and neither does anyone else really outside of the people involved in them. Not trying to be a dick, but the argument that big time college football players or basketball players shouldnt get this or that because some guy on the tennis team (not you specifically) doesnt even get scholarship money is a not a good one to me.

If mens tennis or rowing, or whatever gets cut it will pretty much go unnoticed and not matter much in the grand scheme of things to 99.9% of people.

My guess is that you are simply a Xavier fan, and not necessarily a Xavier alum. I say this because as a Xavier alum I have strong feelings for any and all other Xavier people....students, teachers, administration, and alumni. I want ALL of them, and not just the basketball players, to have the best experience and the best opportunities that they can get, even if they are not athletes and just are regular students. I hate the thought of others opportunities being taken away from some, just so that X could compete for top notch men's basketball players. I hope that Xavier NEVER loses sight of the idea that ALL of its students are important and NEVER becomes just another minor league athletic program whose only responsibility is to prepare men's basketball players for the pros.

But you are certainly welcome to your own opinion.

bleedXblue
10-03-2017, 09:05 PM
My guess is that you are simply a Xavier fan, and not necessarily a Xavier alum. I say this because as a Xavier alum I have strong feelings for any and all other Xavier people....students, teachers, administration, and alumni. I want ALL of them, and not just the basketball players, to have the best experience and the best opportunities that they can get, even if they are not athletes and just are regular students. I hate the thought of others opportunities being taken away from some, just so that X could compete for top notch men's basketball players. I hope that Xavier NEVER loses sight of the idea that ALL of its students are important and NEVER becomes just another minor league athletic program whose only responsibility is to prepare men's basketball players for the pros.

well said 80

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 10:11 PM

I was specifically responding to your comment that you were an athlete of a non revenue sport who didn't get a scholarship. You feel like because you chose to participate in a sport in college where not only did you not get money but you had to spend money that the basketball players who do get money should be happy with what they have. I disagree. I said it more harshly than needed, that's my fault, sorry. Of course I want non athlete students and others to have opportunities. I for one don't buy for a second that as many of these schools don't make money on athletics as they say they do. I think xu makes plenty. Obviously they "spend" that money and divert the money and make it appear as though they are breaking even. I think these schools can afford to pay college athletes and support the other sports. They will say they can and if it ends up they have to do that they will probably cut some non revenue sports and claim they had no choice but of course they won't touch any coaches salary or school presidents etc. the reason their first choice would be to cut those other sports is because 99% of people wouldn't blink an eye.

XUGRAD80
10-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Some of your comments I agree with, others not so much. But I'm glad you clarified your thoughts. Now I will clarify mine......

My intention was not to say that the basketball players "should be happy with what they have". My intention was to say that "what they have" goes way beyond any money they may or may not be paid. IMO no amount of money can replace the experiences and lessons learned that a college athlete receives during the course of their college career. I truly believe that I learned as much from my athletic career as I did from my academic career. My athletic career certainly gave me the opportunities to travel, experience other areas of the country, meet people of all types, experience highs and lows, etc. that I could never have gotten as just a student. People actually pay thousands of dollars to get to do what I got to do as a normal matter of course. I don't know how you calculate the whole dollar value of being a college athlete. It was certainly a privilege and an honor to represent Xavier in such a way.