PDA

View Full Version : X Mens Soccer beats #9 Gtown, X now #23 in the polls

muskiefan82
09-18-2017, 01:33 PM
http://goxavier.com/news/2017/9/16/samson-sergis-golden-goal-sends-xavier-mens-soccer-to-1-0-win-over-no-9-georgetown.aspx

This team has some grit

GIMMFD
09-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Since 2010, X against Top 10 opponents: 7-2-1. Pretty damn impressive, those boys know how to show up for big games.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-18-2017, 06:35 PM
There are still some big ones left on the schedule.

bleedXblue
09-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Great game. Fleming made some half time adjustments and the play was much more even in for the balance of the game. Some really good saves late by our keeper were huge. Great win and deservedly ranked!

GoMuskies
09-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Suck it Hoyas.

Xaveriana
09-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Reminds me of FC Cincinnati. Seems to play better against MSL teams than their own league.

Since 2010, X against Top 10 opponents: 7-2-1. Pretty damn impressive, those boys know how to show up for big games.

ammtd34
09-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Reminds me of FC Cincinnati. Seems to play better against MSL teams than their own league.

Several top 10 wins have been against the Big East.

GIMMFD
09-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Several top 10 wins have been against the Big East.

Beat Creighton when they were #1, Georgetown a couple times, maybe Providence? St. Johns is usually pretty solid, Butler is ranked relatively often, I know they also clipped Notre Dame when they were #2 in the same season as the Creighton win, I think Indiana was top 10 when we got them in the tourney a few years back.. I can't think of the others off the top of the head to be honest.

ammtd34
09-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Beat Creighton when they were #1, Georgetown a couple times, maybe Providence? St. Johns is usually pretty solid, Butler is ranked relatively often, I know they also clipped Notre Dame when they were #2 in the same season as the Creighton win, I think Indiana was top 10 when we got them in the tourney a few years back.. I can't think of the others off the top of the head to be honest.

I was watching the stream of that ND game. It was on a Tuesday. I texted the referee before he could even get back in the locker room, because he missed a call that would've given ND a penalty with seconds left.
"Hand ball."

He texted back. "100% hand ball."

GIMMFD
09-20-2017, 11:57 PM
I was watching the stream of that ND game. It was on a Tuesday. I texted the referee before he could even get back in the locker room, because he missed a call that would've given ND a penalty with seconds left.
"Hand ball."

He texted back. "100% hand ball."

I didn't get a chance to watch that game, but that's part of it. You get some lucky breaks, you lose some lucky breaks. Another good result for the boys tonight tying #15 UK in Lexington though!

Masterofreality
09-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Watched the game vs KY last night. 1-1 tie not bad vs Number 15.

Can't think Fleming was pleased though. Last 20 minutes & the OT periods the field was slanted with XU running severely uphill. UK may have to re-sod one end!

GIMMFD
09-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Watched the game vs KY last night. 1-1 tie not bad vs Number 15.

Can't think Fleming was pleased though. Last 20 minutes & the OT periods the field was slanted with XU running severely uphill. UK may have to re-sod one end!

Eh we got a good result which is important, plus the record stands at 5-1-2 so far, with a win at #22 Boston College, #9 Georgetown, and a tie to #15 UK. We're in a good place so far, as long as we can trudge through conference and have a good seed for the Big East tourney, I think this team can get a NCAA bid, even though it's a whole helluva lot tougher in soccer than basketball.